Drugs and philosophy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
Throughout my life, I've found that altered states of consciousness can provide a more multifaceted view of the world since our perspective is subjective, and many of my most profound epiphanies have been related to marijuana, alcohol, and psychedelics.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Beniboybling
Fugg off crack head.

Surtur
On weed, kinda yeah I've had similar experiences. Not with booze though, with booze it's not like I feel my mind is expanded, more like that the volume has been turned up to maximum, so to speak.

Psychedelics definitely make you think about things you probably never did before, as well as seeing various things, etc. it can change someone.

Surtur
5 Greatest Things Invented While High

Scribble
Psychedelics changed my life. A dose of 100 mushrooms was the first step in the process of me facing up to the fact that I had to grow up and stop taking drugs all the time and actually finish college. A year later I had finished college with a decent grade, had a flat, was in a stable relationship, and before much longer had a job, and eventually ended up going to uni, etc. Thanks, drugs!

Surtur
Originally posted by Scribble
Psychedelics changed my life. A dose of 100 mushrooms was the first step in the process of me facing up to the fact that I had to grow up and stop taking drugs all the time and actually finish college. A year later I had finished college with a decent grade, had a flat, was in a stable relationship, and before much longer had a job, and eventually ended up going to uni, etc. Thanks, drugs!

You see? This guy gets it. Drugs are awesome.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Throughout my life, I've found that altered states of consciousness can provide a more multifaceted view of the world since our perspective is subjective, and many of my most profound epiphanies have been related to marijuana, alcohol, and psychedelics.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I too need booze to sleep and ease me through every conversation with the plebs. We're like kindred distilled spirit or something.

jaden101
You should read PIHKAL and TIHKAL

Emperordmb
On my first trip, LSD taught me a lot about who I was as a person, the fact that I'm an ambivert, the reasons in my life that caused me to grow up as an ambivert, the reason why I have so much respect for power and contempt for those who abuse it, where my rebellious nature at the time came from, why I liked the things I liked and interacted with people the way that I did. I also realized that every form of human interaction is a form of manipulation, that since all of our experiences our self contained each of our minds/souls contains an entire world of experience. I also had an epiphany that progress is built upon a balance between individuality and conformity, an idea that became the center of my philosophy. And also that the universe was defined by connection. And it was then that I began to question the duality of choice and determinism.

On my second LSD trip, I considered that connection was what defined the universe and was determined to understand the cornerstone of understanding human problems. I considered that all human problems stem from a power struggle because every choice is a grab for power, and that since power is the cause of human problems, the free will that gives life its meaning, and what is used to try and solve human problems, trying to exert an exact control is both immoral and impossible. I also realized that things like hatred, censorship, and murder were so vile because they were forms of disconnection, which goes against the essence of what defines the universe and leads to entropy. I then realized the solution to the power struggle was connection rather than disconnection, connection being something we as humans are drawn towards since we are inherently dependent on each other. This connection is love, and love is what allows human progress to take place, as it leads people to value themselves and others. I then realized that since I believe there has to be a higher power that lies beyond determinism, the nature of the universe could speak to the nature of this higher power, and since the universe is defined by connection, God would thus be a being of connection. God embodying connection explains the omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient nature of God, and the Holy Trinity to me seemed to perfectly embody connection. Thus my second LSD trip led me to understand the importance of love, become a more loving and forgiving person, and led me to develop an inner peace within me, and gave me something to back up my religious faith more than dogma had ever done.

Emperordmb
Perception is our portal, our connection to the entire world. Fear of altering our perception is ignorantly close minded, given that due to the mind's importance exploring various perceptions could have amazing recreational and philosophical value. Belief that altering the consciousness/perception is closeminded, and honestly hypocritical given that every act we take is meant to alter our perception and experience of reality.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.