Possibility that Darth Angral was superior to Deceived Malgus?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthbane77
In the "Deceived" novel, Malgus seems to behave very reserved, almost afraid, of Angral during his conversation with Angral and Adraas in the Senate building. So I want to know, do you guys think that the quotes support that? A few interpretations? Grasping at straws?

OK, this just after Angral implies that Malgus was questioning the Emperor's decision to spare Coruscant (Malgus is furious at this point and the idea of questioning the Emperor kind of clears his head.)

"No. I do not question the Emperor."

"I'm pleased to hear it. Now sit, Malgus." Angral's tone left no doubt that the words were not a suggestion."

After that Malgus takes his seat pretty quickly. This could be attributed more to Malgus' thinking he questioned the Emperor, but I took it more as Malgus being kind of wary of Angral.

Another one, Adraas files a report to Angral about the Sacking of the Jedi Temple, Malgus gets angry an begins to question and Angral immediately shuts Malgus down; and Malgus acknowledges it.

Angral waved a hand dismissively. "No apologies are necessary. I solicited his report directly."

Malgus did not know what to make of that and did not like that he did not know. "Directly? Why?"

"Do you believe that I owe you an explanation, Darth Malgus?"

Malgus had misstepped again. "No, my lord."

Another example, Adraas is implying he knows that Malgus cares for Eleena Daru at this point, and Angral is on Adraas' apparent side in this, being that he has sanctioned Adraas to attempt to take Malgus' place as a Darth. Malgus knows he can't respond.

"Malgus missed nothing, but could say nothing."

Another example, the conversation hits a boiling point and Malgus and Adraas draw their lightsabers and begin fighting. Angral stops the fight with nothing more than a few words.

Malgus summoned a reserve of strength and pushed Adraas back a stride. They regarded each other with hate in theit eyes.

"That will be all." Angral said, standing.

Neither Malgus nor Adraas took his eyes from the other and neither deactivated his blade.

"That will be all," Angral Said.

As one, both men backed off another step. Adraas deactivated his blade, then Malgus.

Final example, Angral indirectly threatens Malgus.

Angral drew himself up to his full height. "You will, both of you, follow my commands without question or hesitation. I will deal harshly with any deviation from that order. Do you understand?"

Angral had directed the rebuke at both of them, but Malgus understood it to be intended for him.

"Yes, Darth Angral," they said in unison.

"You are servants of the Empire."

Malgus, stewing, said nothing.

"Both of you leave me, now," Angral said.

Still seething, Malgus walked for the door. Adraas fell in a stride behind him.

That's it for those quotes. They can be interpreted in a couple different ways, but I took it as Malgus being somewhat afraid to defy Angral.

DarthDuelist9
I think mainly because of the political power Angral possessed, Malgus was after all still dependend on the Empire.

darthbane77
Originally posted by DarthDuelist9
I think mainly because of the political power Angral possessed, Malgus was after all still dependend on the Empire. Yeah, it's pretty open to interpretation. Just figured somebody else might have come to the sameconclusion as me.

MythLord
No. The game makes it pretty clear Malgus is > Angral. Also, didn't Satele note Malgus was the most powerful Dark Side presence she's faced? IIRC, she encountered Angral, and Angral's superior Baras.

Angral just has more political power.

S_W_LeGenD
Political power, alone, can only take you so far in the Empire. One must have the right connections (and sufficient muscle) to gain that much influence. Because as soon as it becomes apparent that your strength has diminished, somebody will take advantage.

Darth Angral defeated Jedi Master Orgus Din (a battle-hardened veteran of the Great Galactic War) in a confrontation during the Sacking of Coruscant event. So he was not all-hype in the muscle aspect.

However, Darth Malgus was growing stronger by the day.

Jmanghan
If I was part of the Imperial Empire, and I killed Vader directly in a duel cause I disliked the way he talks to me, I don't think Palpatine would have me killed, or be upset.

Just saying.

But thats Palpatine, not Vitiate, so I guess thats not a good example.

Nephthys
It's entirely possible that Angral was superior to Malgus at the time. He was already in line for the Dark Council.

TenebrousWay
Angral had significant political power and even the favor of Vitiate, Malgus had literally none, since it was a subject he despised. On top of that, his wounded waifu was basically a hostage of the imperial forces.

It's exactly after that exchange that he decides to overthrown the empire and starts by killing Daaru, so they can't blackmail him again and follow by killing Adraas. Only then he begins to build his connections with foreign aliens and sith veterans he fought along in the war, in order to build his own power base, when he assumes the command of the expeditionary force.

Petrus
I agree with Neph. During the events of Deceived, it's not far-fetched at all to assume Malgus was not superior to Angral as of yet.

Beniboybling
Malgus is overrated yeah, I can imagine a scrub like Angral being above him.

Petrus
Why do you think he's overrated, Beni?

Ziggystardust
Don't see Malgus being overrated tbh, I think there's a rather accurate consensus around his abilties given what info we have on him, besides, who's he overrated by? Legend?

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Petrus
Why do you think he's overrated, Beni? Just baiting some TOR phags don't mind me.

Ziggystardust
Sounds like backtracking...

Petrus
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Just baiting some TOR phags don't mind me.

Oh, 'kay then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.