Darth Plagueis Quote about being the most powerful

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dark-Kenshin
Question: Does this quote apply to any and every character (or iteration of a character) introduced into the lore after the Plagueis novel was published?

Nephthys
It doesn't apply at all.

Azronger
Neph is in denial again smile

To answer the OP's question: Yes, unless a new quote comes along, which retcons it.

Deronn_solo
Blurbs are just unreliable marketing tools, lmao.

Ares proved as much already.

darthbane77
Back cover blurbs are in no way reliable.

The Ellimist
Appeals to incredulity aside, they apply to all previous sith.

Azronger
Does anyone actually have anything to back their opinion up other than fallacies? What Elm said still stands:
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Alright, let's cycle through your complaints, which seem to align closely with Neph's:

1. "They aren't a part of the story" - since when does information have to be narrative to constitute a part of the official literature? What about sourcebooks, guides, visual dictionaries, etc.? None of these add new stories to the universe, but they're still accepted as parts of the continuity. This is, as we'll see to be a pattern, a made-up rule.

2. "just an interpretation of events" - so are sourcebooks, guides, visual dictionaries, and even novelizations and other adaptations. There is, once again, no actual policy suggesting that interpretative sources don't count. And if there's a reason to discount them, nobody has actually made it - they just restate their reservations as justification for themselves, .i.e. here.

3. "they're made to sell" - rather horribly naive given that this applies to basically everything, and still another arbitrary rule. Are you prepared to vet every source available to us by guessing which author is in it for the art, and which is in it for the money? Where's your line going to be? You don't even know that the publisher doesn't care about the story, and is using the blurb to add excitement or wonder to it - it's another arbitrary claim, and even if it were true, irrelevant to the question of whether it counts as evidence.

4. "not checked over by the author" - the author is perfectly capable of checking or objecting to the blurb. But even if they were not, there's no rule suggesting that authors have exclusive monopolies over their creation. They already have editors, the publishers already influence which books they create, and others can put their characters into sourcebooks and add new information on that. What matter is whether Lucasarts/films approves of the material, not whether any individual author does. This complaint is, yet again, another arbitrary rule.

Nobody here is suggesting that publisher's blurbs are sacrosanct; like all other aspects of the literature, they must be taken into account with the surrounding evidence. But here, you offer no "surrounding evidence" to force discrediting or reinterpreting the blurb; you just offer your gut hidden behind a bunch of circular criteria for canon that you made up.

Now, if you want to explain why something being on the outside of the story rather than the inside is grounds to dismiss it, you're welcome to present your case. But your whole post here has been a thinly veiled exercise in circular argumentation - "this arbitrary rule of mine is right because of these five other arbitrary rules of mine that justify each other!"

SunRazer
A very good post indeed. We're also forgetting that DP's other blurbs are all factual (bar the questions, of course), so that only adds to the blurb's credibility. Also, people here to love to cherry-pick what they can use. Plagueis' quote is invalid because it's a blurb, but #435 SWTOR Operation boss is suddenly Entity-tier because they can threaten the galaxy according to blurb-like marketing statements? Hilarious.

To answer the OP, yes, it applies to any Legends material released after the novel, so long as there is no direct contradiction (and I don't mean interpreted superiority in feats, I mean a direct accolade of superiority). Of course, this quote only applies to characters before Plagueis' time, not after.

MythLord
Unless a quote retcons it, it applies. thumb up

Ursumeles
thumb up

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Azronger
Neph is in denial again smile

To answer the OP's question: Yes, unless a new quote comes along, which retcons it.
That is not a sound justification.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Question: Does this quote apply to any and every character (or iteration of a character) introduced into the lore after the Plagueis novel was published?
1. That statement is (not) canon, and from a 'secondary' source (i.e. Del Ray). The story (itself) does not promotes Darth Plagueis in this manner.

2. Legends continuity is no longer a valid continuity! Essentially null and void.

3. The SWTOR project is and it is logical to perceive it as the alternate universe like in the official circles at present:

4. Only the TOR affiliated novels are Legends. Therefore, that statement encompasses only them. Not the additional content.

Therefore, you are not bound to take it as gospel.

Deronn_solo
I love how Nova takes a statement I made in a obvious joke thread as fact. laughing out loud

I have been arguing against the flowery and hyperbolic wording of TOR sourcebooks and such for years now.

SunRazer
I wasn't taking your statement at all. In fact, I view pretty much everything you do as trolling these days.

The Ellimist
Lmao

Azronger
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
1. That statement is (not) canon, and from a 'secondary' source (i.e. Del Ray). The story (itself) does not promotes Darth Plagueis in this manner.

2. Legends continuity is no longer a valid continuity! Essentially null and void.

3. The SWTOR project is and it is logical to perceive it as the alternate universe like in the official circles at present:

4. Only the TOR affiliated novels are Legends. Therefore, that statement encompasses only them. Not the additional content.

Therefore, you are not bound to take it as gospel.

Lmao

MythLord
LeGends post convinced me; SWTOR is a separate universe from both Canon and the EU, therefore none of the characters exist either chronologically, or factually.

They all die by default.

Ursumeles
thumb up

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by SunRazer
I wasn't taking your statement at all. In fact, I view pretty much everything you do as trolling these days.

Oh, very well then. smile

UCanShootMyNova
Nope. Only to ones that Plagueis is logically more powerful then via feats or where it's uncertain.

Azronger
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Nope. Only to ones that Plagueis is logically more powerful then via feats or where it's uncertain.

Argument from ignorance.

UCanShootMyNova
Not at all. It's the only logical stance one can take.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.