Which is the worst of the seven sins?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
Pride, Lust, Greed, Envy, Sloth, Gluttony, Wrath

Which is the worst?

IMO it's unquestionably pride.

Surtur
Well yeah, they do say pride is the root of all the other sins.

Plus remember the episode of Supernatural with the 7 deadly sins? Pride seemed to be the strongest.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Surtur
Well yeah, they do say pride is the root of all the other sins.

Plus remember the episode of Supernatural with the 7 deadly sins? Pride seemed to be the strongest.
Same in FMA brotherhood.

Just from a purely philosophical non-religion based perspective, you could argue pride is the worst.

Pride makes the biggest ******* atheists, and the biggest ******* religion people. It allows people to justify any immoral action to themselves while preventing them to understand their own flaws and wrongdoing, it is the source of discrimination, it corrupts religion from something that should focus on love and humility into something people use to make themselves feel superior to everyone else, and it's the source of the vast majority of unjustified wars.

The Ellimist
Whichever one Bane had.

Emperordmb
Ah yes Ellimist. More evidence as to how terrible egotistical ****s can be thumb up

The Ellimist
You enjoy it when people do it to KotoR II/TOR, lol.

Lord Lucien
Gluttony. Fat people are gross.

Surtur
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Gluttony. Fat people are gross.

I dunno man, what's so gross about this?

http://cdn.evilware.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/obese-az-woman.jpg

riv6672
Gotta say envy.

Emperordmb
Yeah it's definitely pride IMO. Every act of evil stems from the belief that what someone wants justifies the hurting of others, which requires someone to think of themselves as being more important than other people. Ironically enough pride seems to stem from self-loathing.

Lord Lucien
Can't these sins be dependent on one another? Like my pride leads to greed and wrath. My greed and sloth lead to envy. My envy, greed, and lust lead to wrath.

Can't some of these be just flat out synonymous?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Can't these sins be dependent on one another? Like my pride leads to greed and wrath. My greed and sloth lead to envy. My envy, greed, and lust lead to wrath.

Can't some of these be just flat out synonymous?
Oh yeah, something I realized recently is that a lot of good things are different manifestations of the same thing, and a lot of bad things are different manifestations of the same thing.

Connection manifests through choice, purpose, power, knowledge, peace, love, communication and happiness.

Disconnection manifests through ignorance, fear, shame, self-loathing, loneliness, arrogance, hatred, and censorship.

DarthAnt66
Nothing wrong with pride.

Emperordmb
When people are arrogant, they not only unfairly hurt others to try and justify some sense of superiority, they lie to themselves about their flaws, which isn't only unfair to others, it's unfair to themselves as well.

UCanShootMyNova
Ant. wink

Beniboybling
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Whichever one Bane had. thumb up

Surtur
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Nothing wrong with pride.

Tell that to Hilary Clinton.

Emperordmb
Tell that to Hilary Clinton.
Or Trump. One of the things that made Bernie someone I'd be legitimately proud to call my president was his humility.

kevdude
I dunno man, what's so gross about this?

http://cdn.evilware.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/obese-az-woman.jpg

laughing out loud

Surtur
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Or Trump. One of the things that made Bernie someone I'd be legitimately proud to call my president was his humility.

I know, it's almost as if those dickish corrupt liberals shouldn't of f*cked Berhie over. Some might say he had less of a chance, but he also he wouldn't have been so utterly riddled with scandals and corruption.

Oh liberals and them being their own worst enemies.

riv6672
http://www.thegospeltruthministry.com/FAQs/theworstsin.htm

riv6672
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vSAHkXWQOag/TYrcPqp2GHI/AAAAAAAAAHY/GdbnOALnWZk/s1600/7+Deadly+Sins+-SKC.jpg

TheVaultDweller
Envy is a pretty bad one, considering how much conflict tends to arise simply because one guy wants shit another guy has.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by riv6672
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vSAHkXWQOag/TYrcPqp2GHI/AAAAAAAAAHY/GdbnOALnWZk/s1600/7+Deadly+Sins+-SKC.jpg That Spongebob occupies the Lust position makes me wonder why my fanfic never took off.

riv6672
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Envy is a pretty bad one, considering how much conflict tends to arise simply because one guy wants shit another guy has.
That was my thinking, yeah.
Envy begets quite a few of the other sins, IMO.
You get mad (wrath) because you're envious of others and what they have.
You want (lust) what they have.
You think you deserve (pride) those things.
You're too lazy (sloth) to work hard for those things yourself.
But not too lazy to take all you can (gluttony) that someone else has acquired.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by riv6672
That was my thinking, yeah.
Envy begets quite a few of the other sins, IMO.
You get mad (wrath) because you're envious of others and what they have.
You want (lust) what they have.
You think you deserve (pride) those things.
You're too lazy (sloth) to work hard for those things yourself.
But not too lazy to take all you can (gluttony) that someone else has acquired. Because of the way you structured that post, I tried to read it out like it was going to rhyme. But it didn't so I read it out like a Christian rap.

riv6672
http://stanleykitty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/envy2.jpg

immaturerainbow
Gluttony or Lust.
Obesity and STD's.

riv6672
STD=Seven The Deadly?

Emperordmb
Again, I'd say it's pride, because pride is ultimately what allows people to justify putting themselves on the pedestal where they believe they have the right to do immoral things. What's interesting is that pride ultimately stems from feelings of self-loathing and insecurity, which stem from this ubiquitous visceral fear that one is worthless.

riv6672
You make a good argument.

riv6672
Jealousy and envy are technically different but normally used interchangeably.

The phrase was used by, and possibly coined by, Shakespeare to denote jealousy, in The Merchant of Venice, 1596:

Portia:
How all the other passions fleet to air,
As doubtful thoughts, and rash-embraced despair,
And shuddering fear, and green-eyed jealousy! O love,
Be moderate; allay thy ecstasy,
In measure rein thy joy; scant this excess.
I feel too much thy blessing: make it less,
For fear I surfeit.

In Othello, 1604, Shakespeare also alludes to cats as green-eyed monsters in the way that they play with mice before killing them.

Iago:
O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on; that cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But, O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!

riv6672
http://www.thefreshquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Envy-Slays-Itself-By-Its-Own-Arrows..jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.