Movies that couldn't be made today

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Whether it's because of a different social climate, extreme violence, or a shock factor that wouldn't fly by studioheads-what are some films made in the 70, 80s, or earlier that would likely not be made in 2016. What aspect of the film makes it a product of it's time, and what groups would it offend to ensure of arrived DOA at a committee?

Flyattractor
Blazing Saddles.

Khazra Reborn
Pretty much anything that can be deemed racist or sexist.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Blazing Saddles. first movie I thought of too.

riv6672
Song of the South?

jinXed by JaNx
Ben Hur

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Blazing Saddles. "You couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today
I saw Blazing Saddles yesterday"

H9EvnVCfHUQ

NemeBro
Birth of a Nation.

TethAdamTheRock
Dragon Ball Z
Halo

BruceSkywalker
the DCEU

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
"You couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today"

MmmYeah Pretty much.

jinXed by JaNx
that's because people finally realized he wasn't funny

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Ben Hur

Uummmm....

Surtur
Soul Man

Flyattractor
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
that's because people finally realized he wasn't funny

...Who Dah Fuh You talkin bout Jinxy?

And I would add AIRPLANE to the list.

KCJ506
In this day and age, the plots of the first two Home Alone films wouldn't be possible due to advanced technology. They would probably only last about 15-20 minutes because of cell phones. Once Kevin's parents found out that he had been left alone, all they had to do was call him on one after they landed in Paris. Plus nowadays, people can use the alarms on their phones to wake them up in time. While a phone can't recharge without electricity, it's internal battery wouldn't be affected by a power outage.

And in Home Alone 2, I don't think anyone would let a kid with no boarding pass and without a parent/guardian on a flight. And now that I think of it, even after Kevin pointed out the man he thought was his father to the attendant, it was still a bad move on their part to let him on. Even before 9/11, the attendant would have gone up to the man and asked him if he was Kevin's father.

Zack M
Originally posted by KCJ506
In this day and age, the plots of the first two Home Alone films wouldn't be possible due to advanced technology. They would probably only last about 15-20 minutes because of cell phones. Once Kevin's parents found out that he had been left alone, all they had to do was call him on one after they landed in Paris. Plus nowadays, people can use the alarms on their phones to wake them up in time. While a phone can't recharge without electricity, it's internal battery wouldn't be affected by a power outage.

And in Home Alone 2, I don't think anyone would let a kid with no boarding pass and without a parent/guardian on a flight. And now that I think of it, even after Kevin pointed out the man he thought was his father to the attendant, it was still a bad move on their part to let him on. Even before 9/11, the attendant would have gone up to the man and asked him if he was Kevin's father.

Home Alone is great, but so true. thumb up

Jmanghan
Army of Darkness.

Too much slapstick humor.

Flyattractor
The Kentucky Fried Movie.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Army of Darkness.

Too much slapstick humor.

Load of BS

because they've done good with the tv show.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Kazenji
Load of BS

because they've done good with the tv show.
I honestly would have preferred an Army of Darkness 2 film over a show that's on a channel I no longer have, but can't all get what we want. At least I should have it on netflix or somethin someday whenever it's out of seasons, even though a certain d-bag here spoiled what happened to Pablo for me in the TV show thread.

Kazenji
Or you could just buy it on dvd.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, there's that; whatever's easier by the time the show is done.

Firefly218
An all female ghostbusters

Surtur
Originally posted by Firefly218
An all female ghostbusters

This is movies that couldn't be made, not movies that *shouldn't* be made.

Ridley_Prime
Maybe he's referring to the fact we have Trump now and that the recent Ghostbusters was, in a sense, a glorified ad for Hillary?

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I honestly would have preferred an Army of Darkness 2 film over a show that's on a channel I no longer have, but can't all get what we want. At least I should have it on netflix or somethin someday whenever it's out of seasons, even though a certain d-bag here spoiled what happened to Pablo for me in the TV show thread.

I hate that Starz refuses to sell the episodes individually until after the season has ended. It's just a bad business decision and seems like it only hurts the show.

Surtur
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Maybe he's referring to the fact we have Trump now and that the recent Ghostbusters was, in a sense, a glorified ad for Hillary?

But the movie could still be made. Good lord could you imagine the shitstorm if someone tried to stop it? I picture so many fat feminists with blue hair..just marching. Slowly, but still marching.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by KCJ506

Kevin would also definitely have his own cell phone, which would mean a digital copy of his boarding pass, which would be scanned at the gate. There are lots of movies that would take a crazy amount of suspension of disbelief or ridiculously unlikely situations to happen now.

marwash22
'Ace Ventura Pet Detective'.

The ending is wildly homophobic. wouldn't fly.

Ascendancy
There are actually a lot of 80s/90s films where people toss fagola at each other that wouldn't be permitted now, but both those and Ace could be toned down in that regard without issue I'm sure.

marwash22
toning it down means it wouldn't be the same movie, which is the purpose of the thread.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by marwash22
'Ace Ventura Pet Detective'.

The ending is wildly homophobic. wouldn't fly.

Good one. Shows how much the social landscape has changed in 20 years.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by marwash22
toning it down means it wouldn't be the same movie, which is the purpose of the thread.
Fair enough.

Despite some of the things that go on in movies now, I'm not sure some 80s movies would fly as teen comedies. Fast Times at Ridgemont High would likely have to be redone. Actress portraying an underage female shown naked on screen multiple times, banged by a 20-something, knocked up by a classmate then getting a quickie abortion and her bro taking her out to eat or whatever to make it all better. Doubt it would look anything like what it was originally.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.