Comics v Reality/ Strength of Arms

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
What would be the ideal melee weapon for someone with superhuman strength?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a0a0a4901b82b4c6e565df24b4007521/tumblr_obp6zpTFHU1uikt1jo1_500.jpg

Many comics, video games and movies feature implausibly huge weapons, which would be completely impractical in real combat. Sometimes people defend the realism of such huge weapons by stating that the characters wielding them have superhuman strength. However, when real physics come into play, having superhuman strength still doesn't make these weapons practical. No matter how strong you are, swinging such a weapon would throw you off balance, unless you were bolted to the floor or you were so heavy that you would sink into the ground. Also, swords were very quick and nimble weapons, there is not much use in a sword which you can swing exactly once before needing to regain your balance (or get up again after you fell because of the inertia throwing you off your feet).

For this scenario

You're you, whoever you are and you're strong. Not just "i lift bro" strength...I'm talking up to about a couple tons....anyway, you're not the only one and a shitload of other strong mfers have shown up as well. Que plot and beef ensues...

You have no other superhuman qualities (except those required by this increase of strength to not break his bones or rip his joints apart) . Given enough money and the best smiths you can find, could one design a weapon which would be better suited to utilize your strength, than a regular, standard-issue hand weapon?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/injn_final_fantasy_ac_cloud_strife_fig.jpg

DarkSaint85
Firstly, are these other mofos super durable too?

If I designed a super awesome sword, would it shatter on their skin?

Otherwise, a mace would be best to utilise my strength. A crossbow would be good too - with my strength, winding it would be a cinch.

ShadowFyre
Sounds dumb and they aren't lethal used by regular humans. But throwing stars, knives, hell, metal balls if thrown at 300 mph would be like bullets to regular humans. Otherwise, a glaive or spear that is balanced all the way through would help with balance.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Firstly, are these other mofos super durable too?

If I designed a super awesome sword, would it shatter on their skin?

Otherwise, a mace would be best to utilise my strength. A crossbow would be good too - with my strength, winding it would be a cinch.

I wouldnt say super durable...you can still be stabbed, bludgeoned to death. You're just a strong mfer. Youre bones etc are stronger than norm due to the strength increase but u can still be stabbed in the heart.

And im looking for strickly h2h weapons...no ranged gear

DarkSaint85
Mace, or trench knives with skull crusher ends.

LordofBrooklyn
I would have a variation of Azrael's original daggers enlarged and elongated.

Astner

Sin I AM
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
I would have a variation of Azrael's original daggers enlarged and elongated.

Nice 👍. Personally im a fan of gauntlets

thanos-prime
Bo staff or spear.

Sin I AM
Only issue i see with a spear is it will potentially be driven thru the opponent

DarkSaint85
Which is a problem, I assume?

riv6672
^^^thats the "point" of a spear.

A crossbow would be good too - with my strength, winding it would be a cinch.
You mean a winch.

riv6672
I'll go for a tungsten carbide Kanabo, with titanium studs and a depleted uranium core.

https://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/19/10/49/64/kanabo10.jpg

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by riv6672
I'll go for a tungsten carbide Kanabo, with titanium studs and a depleted uranium core.

https://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/19/10/49/64/kanabo10.jpg

thumb up Mace bros for lyfe.

riv6672
thumb up Mace bros for lyfe.
Word, *****, Phantoms like a mall****er, Yo!

DarkSaint85
With two of these for backup:

http://www.weapons-universe.com/trench-knives-.jpg

With my enhanced strength, the pommel for skull crushing would be useful. I can make with the stabby stab, and they can be used as brass knuckles.

Since weight isn't an issue, I can improve on them. Maybe run a little electrical current through them, or poison edges.

Made of tungsten carbide, like my wedding ring.

http://knifenews.com/sandrin-tungsten-carbide-knives/

Mindship
Spiked adamantium glaived knuckles that can be hurled like boomerangs.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3235/f/2007/119/4/2/brass_knuckles_by_paskal90.jpg

riv6672
^^^What an odd weapon! eek! thumb up

Sin I AM
Which is a problem, I assume?

U wouldnt b able to stop your superhumanly strong aggressor from driving themselves right up the length of the spear and into you, With the amount of strength you have i dont see a spear as beneficial

DarkSaint85
That would just.....kill them, no?

riv6672
One would think so. huh

Sin I AM
That would just.....kill them, no?

I wouldnt think so

Stoic
I'd opt for weapons that were very close to Ulik's pounders, except that they would be more like gloves. I don't think that it would be very important, or practical to use huge weapons when my increased strength would also increase my speed accordingly.

riv6672
I dunno, a melee weapon is hard to beat.

Stoic
I dunno, a melee weapon is hard to beat.

A melee weapon is just an extension of your arm though. With the weapon that I'm thinking of, my fingers would have razor sharp claws made of titanium, and knuckles akin to brass knuckles also made of titanium, they would also cover your arm up to the elbow which would be covered with titanium plating that would cover 90-95% of the glove or gauntlet. My gloves or gauntlets wouldn't just be used as weapons, but also as a shield. Due to my strength level, they would be as light as a feather, while being as strong as titanium. I'd be able to get in close and cause extreme amounts of physical damage, whereas a huge sword or axe would have an extreme delay if you missed.

Let's keep in mind that all weapons would have their weaknesses. Mine would serve to shore up a truck load of weaknesses.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Stoic
A melee weapon is just an extension of your arm though. With the weapon that I'm thinking of, my fingers would have razor sharp claws made of titanium, and knuckles akin to brass knuckles also made of titanium, they would also cover your arm up to the elbow which would be covered with titanium plating that would cover 90-95% of the glove or gauntlet. My gloves or gauntlets wouldn't just be used as weapons, but also as a shield. Due to my strength level, they would be as light as a feather, while being as strong as titanium. I'd be able to get in close and cause extreme amounts of physical damage, whereas a huge sword or axe would have an extreme delay if you missed.

Let's keep in mind that all weapons would have their weaknesses. Mine would serve to shore up a truck load of weaknesses.

Great answer. I considered gauntlets for this same reason. U lose a reach advantage but u gain durability and if u manage to grab the blade end of someones weapon u can yank it away.

I also think a full body shield with spikes would be awesome. You essentially become a tank. Mowing down everything

DarkSaint85
So basically, like a trench knife but without the blade....

Sin I AM
So basically, like a trench knife but without the blade....

I had to Google that. Looks like a short sword with a huge hilt

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Sin I AM
I had to Google that. Looks like a short sword with a huge hilt

They are brass knuckles, with a short dagger blade on one side, and a sharpened point on the other.

The dagger is used for stabbing. The pommel is used for hammer blows, crushing skulls. The brass knuckles are used for punching and as a guard. Posted a pic on the first page.

They have a short range, but were basically used like brass knuckles.

Sin I AM
They are brass knuckles, with a short dagger blade on one side, and a sharpened point on the other.

The dagger is used for stabbing. The pommel is used for hammer blows, crushing skulls. The brass knuckles are used for punching and as a guard. Posted a pic on the first page.

They have a short range, but were basically used like brass knuckles.

I just looked. It's different from the pic i saw on google. They seem a bit awkward at parrying blows though especially if someone has a flail or mace. But id imagine once the distance gap was closed youd stomp the opposition in h2h. Problem is u may have to tank a blow or two to get in there or just be adept at dodging. Seems risky

staxamillion
how about a really sick whip or cat o 9 tails

DarkSaint85
I just looked. It's different from the pic i saw on google. They seem a bit awkward at parrying blows though especially if someone has a flail or mace. But id imagine once the distance gap was closed youd stomp the opposition in h2h. Problem is u may have to tank a blow or two to get in there or just be adept at dodging. Seems risky

Against maces, no one is parrying, lol. Those things were meant to crush through plate armour (which is why my first weapon was to be a mace, with two knives as backup).

With my enhanced strength, as Stoic pointed out, I should have enhanced speed, though. And these two little knives SHOULD be the lightest weapons on the field - i.e., I should be able to move around a lot quicker than my opponents. Parrying against blades should be relatively simple - I just punch the blades away. Due to the shorter nature of the knuckles, I may even be able to do a Batman Begins, and break sword blades (depending on my strength level - but I should be able to use leverage to multiply my strength).

Sin I AM
Against maces, no one is parrying, lol. Those things were meant to crush through plate armour (which is why my first weapon was to be a mace, with two knives as backup).

With my enhanced strength, as Stoic pointed out, I should have enhanced speed, though. And these two little knives SHOULD be the lightest weapons on the field - i.e., I should be able to move around a lot quicker than my opponents. Parrying against blades should be relatively simple - I just punch the blades away. Due to the shorter nature of the knuckles, I may even be able to do a Batman Begins, and break sword blades (depending on my strength level - but I should be able to use leverage to multiply my strength).

Yea you're right. A mace or warhammer with that kinda strength amplification would probable rend steel. So true no parrying that. Im not gonna include enhanced speed in the powerset. I simply want you, the character, to be strong enough to lift a vehicle but not be some light speedster jetting around the battlefield. You're still YOU, you're just stong af. Maybe a few shorts bursts in a straight line since your leg muscles are off the chain. But no acrobatics, no enhanced agility. So if u swing a mace with all your might youd level someone but if u missed ud probably spin around like a top

DarkSaint85
Oh, no, I didn't mean a speedster. Just that I SHOULD be able to leap and jump etc faster and further than a normal human. Otherwise, my trusty mace would be the default weapon. I debated tonfa, because they are cool, but I am not good with using them, and would prob poke my own eye out.

At least trench knives are just punching weapons.

Sin I AM
Oh, no, I didn't mean a speedster. Just that I SHOULD be able to leap and jump etc faster and further than a normal human. Otherwise, my trusty mace would be the default weapon. I debated tonfa, because they are cool, but I am not good with using them, and would prob poke my own eye out.

At least trench knives are just punching weapons.

I tried to apply real world physics to a comics scenario. Being strong doesn't actually equate to being able to jump higher or run faster. But..noone has ever been that strong so i can see y that assumption can be made.

riv6672
Yeah, i'll stick with my choice.
Gauntlet weapons (of any type) are good, not knocking them; my kanabo (or mace) will still provide better reach and bigger impact no matter my strength level.
Blades may likely work against something with super powers, blunt force trauma is a safer bet.
Like fighting an armored opponent; blades may not penetrate but a mace will crush armor and whats beneath.

darthgoober
For me, it'd have to be some kind of indestructible halberd. Got a reach advantage over most other melee weapons, good defensively, simple to learn/use, and extremely versatile(blunt force/slashing/piercing options). Halberds dominated the battlefield all the way up until the use of firearms so I don't really see it being beaten among melee weapons.

riv6672
Good choice. thumb up

beatboks
OK if I can design my own weapon than I choose a shorter version of a three part staff with spiked weighted sections at each end like Riv's Kanabo, an additional break apart with longer chain in the middle (allowing it to also be used as a nun chuck) and double edged bladed that eject from either end. Made from a titanium./admantium/vibranium alloy

Basically about as versatile a weapon as on could possibly want.

beatboks
Originally posted by beatboks
OK if I can design my own weapon than I choose a shorter version of a three part staff with spiked weighted sections at each end like Riv's Kanabo, an additional break apart with longer chain in the middle (allowing it to also be used as a nun chuck) and double edged bladed that eject from either end. Made from a titanium./admantium/vibranium alloy

Thinking about it I'm going to add a removable halberd axe bladento one end.

So what i haveis a halberd/bo staff/ nun chuck/ mace/ three part staff with blades.

riv6672
Too complicated. I'll just beat someone's head in. stick out tongue

wuleecat
Thinking about it I'm going to add a removable halberd axe bladento one end.

So what i haveis a halberd/bo staff/ nun chuck/ mace/ three part staff with blades.

Sounds like the world's most murderous Swiss Army Knife. All that's missing is a gadget for getting the stones out of horse's hooves!

beatboks
Too complicated. I'll just beat someone's head in. stick out tongue

Think about it, I'm swinging it like an axe directed to an opponent 50 feet away and mid swing hit the release that lets the axe blade fly as a n projectile when i stop mid swing. Ave blade imbedded in opponents chest while i strike a nearer apponent over the head with my mace like bow staff (and all the leverage courtesy of length making my strength that much worse). Another two opponents approach from either side as the second one falls and a twist and depress of a button has me with two separated bladed ends swing and slicing their throats.

Now if i could do a work around to have some return for the blade (specially polarized magnets maybe) it would be perfect

riv6672
Think about it,
I did. Too complicated.
Originally posted by wuleecat
Sounds like the world's most murderous Swiss Army Knife. All that's missing is a gadget for getting the stones out of horse's hooves!

Sin I AM

This sounds unweildy

golem370
Do you become expert with it when u pick I like the chain with razors attached to it.

beatboks
This sounds unweildy

I fail to see how.
Three part staffs exist with the ejecting blades already and have the mechanism set to easily separate during battle. It would be smaller tha a standard bo staff. All that's really added is the weighted ends (and I'm not talkjng significantly say a few pounds each) blade and another separation and release mechanism.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by golem370
Do you become expert with it when u pick I like the chain with razors attached to it.

No. I mean you are still you. Just strong af. So unless you have had training irl then no.

I fail to see how.
Three part staffs exist with the ejecting blades already and have the mechanism set to easily separate during battle. It would be smaller tha a standard bo staff. All that's really added is the weighted ends (and I'm not talkjng significantly say a few pounds each) blade and another separation and release mechanism.

Id need a visual. Im not doubting u just something akin to it

riv6672
I have enough innate skill to bash someone's skull in. yes

beatboks

Id need a visual. Im not doubting u just something akin to it

My home phone and Internet are out so limited to mob phone access

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=image.bladed.three+piece.staff&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ& amp;fir=VwXFkj4l441OPM%253A%252CFAn6txtHtyJD2M%252
C_%253BfEmuvR31lAdaBM%253A%252CROUXxiTXW_QtAM%252C
_%253BZvS3ilwkLpKiyM%253A%252COmwvniOVzpn5_M%252C_
%253B_IgfOcxO8ZTfaM%253A%252CJR5Dg0DZeX9eOM%252C_%
253Bj3h2ZKwgcNsk5M%253A%252CoEktv544GAcKyM%252C_%2
53BvFLSUHCMvw2ggM%253A%252Cqggwxt0U-wS93M%252C_%253B2kGtt0DJN5ABrM%253A%252Cqggwxt0U- wS93M%252C_%253B8CW_BOY8H4C3nM%253A%252CfeWuh_ULiC
SvTM%252C_%253BminP84pBFTbLrM%253A%252Cqggwxt0U- wS93M%252C_%253BkCAkKiM5fFXqZM%253A%252CqAWnqKGG_L
NTmM%252C_&usg=__RMritjqo0qiAEDLDoc984Gvhjrc%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq0e6k_ZzQAhVDlZQKHQiaABsQ420IOw&biw=640&bih=280

This was a google search of three part staffs.
You can see some with a blade. I've used one that has two in an exhibition. The three staff pieces usually screw into each other and the chains or cord fit in a small gap near screw connection. Depending on make some unscrew into segments and some have a release button/clip. Some have a fixed blade others pop out from staff end.

When my service is back up I'll try and find the best example

beatboks
Standard 3 part staff in use

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8TF1weMmM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_KPFAMi3h8

Bit of.history

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h3SlPARu2tw

As you can see more reach than most melee weapons.

beatboks
Heres one vs a conventional bo staff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61gz1uI2Fwk

psycho gundam
What would be the ideal melee weapon for someone with superhuman strength?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a0a0a4901b82b4c6e565df24b4007521/tumblr_obp6zpTFHU1uikt1jo1_500.jpg

Many comics, video games and movies feature implausibly huge weapons, which would be completely impractical in real combat. Sometimes people defend the realism of such huge weapons by stating that the characters wielding them have superhuman strength. However, when real physics come into play, having superhuman strength still doesn't make these weapons practical. No matter how strong you are, swinging such a weapon would throw you off balance, unless you were bolted to the floor or you were so heavy that you would sink into the ground. Also, swords were very quick and nimble weapons, there is not much use in a sword which you can swing exactly once before needing to regain your balance (or get up again after you fell because of the inertia throwing you off your feet).

For this scenario

You're you, whoever you are and you're strong. Not just "i lift bro" strength...I'm talking up to about a couple tons....anyway, you're not the only one and a shitload of other strong mfers have shown up as well. Que plot and beef ensues...

You have no other superhuman qualities (except those required by this increase of strength to not break his bones or rip his joints apart) . Given enough money and the best smiths you can find, could one design a weapon which would be better suited to utilize your strength, than a regular, standard-issue hand weapon?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/injn_final_fantasy_ac_cloud_strife_fig.jpg Mjolnir but longer.

Obviously the magic is out but if money is no object you just need the hardest materials you can get. The strap on Mjolnir is the best feature cause then you can swing harder, but it's too short in the comics to multiply Thor's strength really, but if it were longer it would.

riv6672
^^^It'll still hit harder than your fist, though. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.