How to Beat A Precog Combatant?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Scenario

You're you...only better. You woke up this morning with peak human everything. Agility, endurance, strength, stamina...you're a regular Steve Rogers. Your abs have abs, you get the drift. Anyway you thank the gods for your newfound strengths and go on about your day. A week goes by and that benevolent "god" who blessed you comes a knocking. Basically his gift isnt without a price and before you can finish out your existence beating up street toughs and taking out terrorist cells. You have to face and defeat his former fallen champion.

He tells you that you guys are basically even physically only problem is he has an additional power to see in the future for up to 6 seconds. Making it damn near impossible to beat him straight up. Your job, the god says, is to come up with a power to counteract it.

He wants u to solve the problem BEFORE you face him but u keep coming up with suboptimal solutions, that a rational and moderately intelligent precog would foresee and prevent. I mean the guy aint stupid and he has had his powers for longer than you. But you're YOU, and as the protagonist of your story you HAVE to win. You just gotta figure out how.

*you're not trying to kill this guy. I mean true there can be only one but this aint Highlander. All you have to do is beat him in a fight.

*you cant reason with him. When u two meet and u will meet a fight will commence and if u havent figured out how to beat him. He will beat u. Probably to within an inch of your life. Then your god will take away your powers.

*nothing absurd like the telekinesis or over the top like misdirect. You have to face him straight up.

****** finally he doesn't "see" the future, he predicts it. By basing your actions on his, you can effectively borrow his knowledge of the prediction, allowing you to contradict it.

Stoic
Telepathy to jam out his precognitive powers, by filling his mind with too much for him to precisely see anything tangible. That's all I've got.

staxamillion
if he predicts 6 seconds ahead by basing on your actions you basically have to get cray cray and become unpredictable.

maybe use a martial arts at first and switch to concealed weapons when he got in close.

thinking he would not predict weapons based on my actions

Galan007
Just work on becoming faster. Precog counts for nothing if he isn't fast enough to counter you.

The Quicksilver/Mr. X 'battle' demonstrates this fact quite well(albeit on the extreme end.)

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Stoic
Telepathy to jam out his precognitive powers, by filling his mind with too much for him to precisely see anything tangible. That's all I've got.

Good one. But i didnt want to turn this into a mindrape scenario. Jamming would be good though. Maybe sensory manip?

I was trying to think broader. Finding a power which could create a paradox that would negate the precogs power completely. Without being hax

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Galan007
Just work on becoming faster. Precog counts for nothing if he isn't fast enough to counter you.

The Quicksilver/Mr. X 'battle' demonstrates this fact quite well(albeit on the extreme end.)

That's a no brainer if not for the stip that you're physically identical. Peak human is the height of your abilities. Youd have to find a power a bit more....esoteric

Vanguard
Steve Rogers is above peak human I think. Just like Panther. Nice thread though.

staxamillion
sorry I didn't know we were talking about powers.

cypher I think could "decipher" his fighting style.

im thinking he has to have a readable body movement that would relate to his fighting style. and im thinking that she still uses his own style regardless of who he's fighting because he's not really adapting he's just predicting.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sin I AM
That's a no brainer if not for the stip that you're physically identical. Peak human is the height of your abilities. Youd have to find a power a bit more....esoteric So we can't increase the abilities/stats we already have with some good ol' fashioned training, but we can add a random esoteric power to our stats?

In that case, SUPER-SPEED!!!

http://i.imgur.com/fd0Mket.gif

Zack M
I guess what Afterthought did was pretty beastly, considering Midnighter has super speed. wink

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/lupinw45/AT2_zpsr0iz3fxm.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/lupinw45/AT_zpstd6gtfi3.jpg
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/lupinw45/AT3_zpsfvpcl7lk.jpg

staxamillion
if you had Shadowcat's power you could wreck

cdtm
Use his precog to herd him, essentially.

Spring a trap, and when he leaps to avoid it, hit him again. And if if avoids that, have another one waiting.

Iron Fist did this. Spidey was prowling Rand Corp's roof, Danny set off a trap, Spidey leapt into the air and ate a mid air Iron Fist.

h1a8
Scenario

You're you...only better. You woke up this morning with peak human everything. Agility, endurance, strength, stamina...you're a regular Steve Rogers. Your abs have abs, you get the drift. Anyway you thank the gods for your newfound strengths and go on about your day. A week goes by and that benevolent "god" who blessed you comes a knocking. Basically his gift isnt without a price and before you can finish out your existence beating up street toughs and taking out terrorist cells. You have to face and defeat his former fallen champion.

He tells you that you guys are basically even physically only problem is he has an additional power to see in the future for up to 6 seconds. Making it damn near impossible to beat him straight up. Your job, the god says, is to come up with a power to counteract it.

He wants u to solve the problem BEFORE you face him but u keep coming up with suboptimal solutions, that a rational and moderately intelligent precog would foresee and prevent. I mean the guy aint stupid and he has had his powers for longer than you. But you're YOU, and as the protagonist of your story you HAVE to win. You just gotta figure out how.

*you're not trying to kill this guy. I mean true there can be only one but this aint Highlander. All you have to do is beat him in a fight.

*you cant reason with him. When u two meet and u will meet a fight will commence and if u havent figured out how to beat him. He will beat u. Probably to within an inch of your life. Then your god will take away your powers.

*nothing absurd like the telekinesis or over the top like misdirect. You have to face him straight up.

****** finally he doesn't "see" the future, he predicts it. By basing your actions on his, you can effectively borrow his knowledge of the prediction, allowing you to contradict it.

Easy, an invisible knock out gas that takes a little more than 7 seconds to work.

Or ill learn the death/ko touch pressure point technique. It kills or koes after 7 seconds of being applied. I'll ask him can I show him something (don't tell him what it is). He would let me because he doesn't see anything happening to him within 6 seconds. I'll apply the touch and voila, he's a goner after 7 seconds.

h1a8
Originally posted by Vanguard
Steve Rogers is above peak human I think. Just like Panther. Nice thread though. In real life he is. In comics he's peak human. In comics, all human heroes or villains are actually peak human in real life but just athletic human in the comic.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Zack M
I guess what Afterthought did was pretty beastly, considering Midnighter has super speed. wink Technically, that guy was a precog as well so a better precog wins

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Galan007
So we can't increase the abilities/stats we already have with some good ol' fashioned training, but we can add a random esoteric power to our stats?

In that case, SUPER-SPEED!!!

http://i.imgur.com/fd0Mket.gif

That's kinda cheese-dick though..the spirit of the thread is to "out-think" the precog.

Something like information overload; he's still essentially human. And although his human mind can predict a future outcome..multiple variables presented quickly could present a challenge. I also didnt exclude prep. Poison laced gloves thats paralytic in nature...the precog has had years of training with his powers though so it wont be easy. Im looking for a powerset thats random enough that the precog cant detect.

Galan007
That's kinda cheese-dick though. thumb up

Mindship
Youd have to find a power a bit more....esoteric More esoteric? I'd expand my wavefunction, decohere all my superposed of states of being, so that the precog can't tell which "me" is going to act. I mean, if Afterthought can use a quantum effect, so can I. Note: this is not the same as duplicating myself: that occurs in the explicate world, which the precog could predict. Expanding my wavefunction would occur on the implicate level, the source of his precog (well, Afterthought's, anyway), thus leveling the playing field. Basically, I'm projecting multiple probabilities.

DarkSaint85
How does he have 6 seconds of precog? Is it a probability machine type thing, where he settles on the likeliest outcome?

Is it telepathy?

Does he read my body movements?

Is it proper, honest to god precog?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
How does he have 6 seconds of precog? Is it a probability machine type thing, where he settles on the likeliest outcome?

Is it telepathy?

Does he read my body movements?

Is it proper, honest to god precog?

Mind-machine-interface that links him to the AI, which has nanomachinery infusing the very walls, water, food and and even air , measuring almost everything that can be measured every nanosecond, and constantly updating predictions based on that. he doesn't "see" the future, he predicts it.

Originally posted by Mindship
More esoteric? I'd expand my wavefunction, decohere all my superposed of states of being, so that the precog can't tell which "me" is going to act. I mean, if Afterthought can use a quantum effect, so can I. Note: this is not the same as duplicating myself: that occurs in the explicate world, which the precog could predict. Expanding my wavefunction would occur on the implicate level, the source of his precog (well, Afterthought's, anyway), thus leveling the playing field. Basically, I'm projecting multiple probabilities.

Great post. 👍

carver9
Give me the ability to open doors. I'll put one right under his feet.

staxamillion
release a pheromone that gets everyone super Hi.

then even if he can predict his reaction time would be nil

DarkSaint85
Mind-machine-interface that links him to the AI, which has nanomachinery infusing the very walls, water, food and and even air , measuring almost everything that can be measured every nanosecond, and constantly updating predictions based on that. he doesn't "see" the future, he predicts it.

Great post. 👍

Carver may be on to something, actually.

If the predictions are based on measurements made of the real world around us....extra dimensional attacks wouldn't be registered.

Sin I AM
Carver may be on to something, actually.

If the predictions are based on measurements made of the real world around us....extra dimensional attacks wouldn't be registered.

Carver is butthurt. Y i dont know but it's apparent.

I think someone with probability manip/luck powers should do the trick nicely like Domino/Jinx...they should overcome it easily

carver9

I think someone with probability manip/luck powers should do the trick nicely like Domino/Jinx...they should overcome it easily

Lol...it's not butthurt at all. This is me mentioning a tactic that will work. It's unbeatable.

Mindship
Great post. 👍 t.y.

DarkSaint85

thumb up Agreed with all parts of this post.

Luck powers, by their nature, take the improbable and make them probable.

Had you said they precogd by body reading, I was going to use a shapeshifter or invisibility.

Schizo powers like Typhoid Mary may also work.

Or Maddrox. Just overwhelm it with sheer numbers.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by carver9
Lol...it's not butthurt at all. This is me mentioning a tactic that will work. It's unbeatable.

It's not unbeatable. Stop looking at scans. There's more ways to defeat a character than perusing a respect thread. Anyone with phase/density control, time sync, shape shifting, probability manip, illusion casting, enhanced iq, malleable physiology, spatial awareness...to name a few can overcome doors

DarkSaint85
It's not unbeatable. Stop looking at scans. There's more ways to defeat a character than perusing a respect thread. Anyone with phase/density control, time sync, shape shifting, probability manip, illusion casting, enhanced iq, malleable physiology, spatial awareness...to name a few can overcome doors

Would magic based powers work as well?

I mean, by its very nature you shouldn't be able to levitate - too heavy, not enough energy etc. But flying is a simple spell for any comic mage.

Sin I AM
Would magic based powers work as well?

I mean, by its very nature you shouldn't be able to levitate - too heavy, not enough energy etc. But flying is a simple spell for any comic mage.

To overcome doors or precog? If its the former i dont see y not. Bfr isnt a game ender unless your powers are extremely limited/1dimensional. If you're midnighter and youre trying to push me thru a gateway id use the same tactics as countering someone trying to push me thru a regular old door. If its the latter then no i dont see it

Magnon
Originally posted by Mindship
More esoteric? I'd expand my wavefunction, decohere all my superposed of states of being, so that the precog can't tell which "me" is going to act. I mean, if Afterthought can use a quantum effect, so can I. Note: this is not the same as duplicating myself: that occurs in the explicate world, which the precog could predict. Expanding my wavefunction would occur on the implicate level, the source of his precog (well, Afterthought's, anyway), thus leveling the playing field. Basically, I'm projecting multiple probabilities.
I love this approach, kudos to you. It is IMPOSSIBLE to predict which one of the various outcomes described by the quantum wavefunction will actually take place. They are all equally "real" until the actual event occurs. That's why, these days, such processes are used e.g. to generate "true" random numbers. The precog could at best find out the most probable scenario, which might still be very very unlikely if the wavefunction is complicated enough.

DarkSaint85
To overcome doors or precog? If its the former i dont see y not. Bfr isnt a game ender unless your powers are extremely limited/1dimensional. If you're midnighter and youre trying to push me thru a gateway id use the same tactics as countering someone trying to push me thru a regular old door. If its the latter then no i dont see it

Would the AI/nano machines be able to measure magical energy fluctuations as well then?

Mindship
Originally posted by Magnon
I love this approach, kudos to you. It is IMPOSSIBLE to predict which one of the various outcomes described by the quantum wavefunction will actually take place. They are all equally "real" until the actual event occurs. That's why, these days, such processes are used e.g. to generate "true" random numbers. The precog could at best find out the most probable scenario, which might still be very very unlikely if the wavefunction is complicated enough. t.y.

Sin I AM
Would the AI/nano machines be able to measure magical energy fluctuations as well then?

I dont see why not. Magical energy isnt exactly foreign in fiction. The AI is ingrained in every aspect of that reality. I sure it could sense the fluctuations. However magic being deus ex and not being bound by physical laws should be difficult for a machine to predict.

Scarlet315
Do you speificAlly need powers cause if not I'm kind of cheating. I just saw a clip with an almost exact scenario with the new justice league cartoon. I would've never have thought this up but if everythkng is peaked then my brain would be as well and it would only be a matter of time. Anyway batman is fighting cronos who activates a device allowing him to see a couple of seconds ahead and so bats drops a smoke screen and catches him from behind.

StiltmanFTW
Stop looking at scans.

Quote of the Year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.