Authors of "Legacy of the Force"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Legacy of the Force has three authors, and they all see to present Darth Caedus and Luke Skywalker differently.

Troy Denning presents the duo as their most powerful. In earlier works, Denning gave Jacen Solo all those new, unique abilities, and he also had him do the tutaminis feat against the cruiser fire. For Luke Skywalker, he has him overpowering the likes of UnuThul. The Legacy of the Force is an extension of this, in which he stresses time and time again that they are the main two Force users in the galaxy. Note it was Denning who had Luke Skywalker pin Jacen Solo with a gesture, but also Denning who had them fight in a brutal spectacle. In Invincible, we see Jacen Solo's powers further showcased against Jaina Solo, but he's still completely overshadowed by Luke Skywalker, who is putting him to shame without even being in the same room.

Aaron Allston, on the other hand, downplays the two. Allston suggests that Saba Sebatyne would be a difficult battle for Jacen Solo. He also portrays the gap between Luke Skywalker and Saba Sebatyne as small, with Sebatyne performing significantly better against Solo's assassin droids. There's also a significant inconsistency between his portrayal of the two in Betrayal and Fury. Betrayal has Jacen Solo being capable of one-shotting Lumiya, but is significantly inferior to Luke Skywalker with a blade. In Fury, Jacen Solo is seemingly capable of countering Luke Skywalker's telekinesis, but can only nudge a distracted Saba Sebatyne. All in all, the trend seems to be that the gap between Force-users aren't that large, with Lumiya being the exception and underdog. This is, obviously, inconsistent with the large distinctions between Force-users made by Denning.

Karen Traviss is terrible. The way she writes about the Force and Jedi is inherently biased against them. She consistently downplays not only Jacen Solo, but the entire Jedi Order - Luke Skywalker included. Whereas Denning would have Luke Skywalker being capable of conquering an entire planetary army and Allston at least a small invasion Force, Traviss would likely have a small group of Mandalorians being capable of overwhelming him. After all, it is Traviss who suggests that Jaina Solo's brief Mandalorian training would make her a match for Jacen Solo's five years of extensive Force studying and mastery.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Legacy of the Force has three authors, and they all are shit.
Agreed thumb up

Nah, I must say that the Saba-Caedus thing is a bit strange, when a wounded and distracted Jacen manhandeled Kyle, Valin and two other faqqs at the same time, lol.

DarthAnt66
Not necessarily. It was clear Solo couldn't dominate Katarn with the Force - just as he couldn't for Saba.

The text also made note that Jacen and the Katarn team fought as equals during the early stages of the battle.

The battle shifted to Jacen on the winning side though, as evident by Katarn getting a lightsaber through the chest.

Ursumeles
Yeah.

Honestly, I see defending himself from Katarn, with one arm(iirc) in a move he could've done "while sleeping" dominant, lol.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Yeah.

Honestly, I see defending himself from Katarn, with one arm(iirc) in a move he could've done "while sleeping" dominant, lol.
He nevertheless regarded Katarn as a legitimate threat. With the introduction of the other three Jedi, Seha remarked that:

"The five combatants moved as though they'd been choreographing this event for years and had planned, all along, that the two sides would somehow be even."

NewGuy01
Yep. This isn't just an issue with LotF, though.

Ursumeles
He nevertheless regarded Katarn as a legitimate threat. With the introduction of the other three Jedi, Seha remarked that:

"The five combatants moved as though they'd been choreographing this event for years and had planned, all along, that the two sides would somehow be even."
Yeah, it's lolworthy when ****ing Denning is the most compitent writer of a series, lmao.

NewGuy01
>Competence = High power levels
>kek

Ursumeles
Originally posted by NewGuy01
>Competence = High power levels
>kek
Competent = concistent with other sources like NJO, and doesn't write shit in general.

So if Luceno faaaaarrrr more competent than Denning, tho in the books of latter the power level are usually higher.

NewGuy01
Competent = concistent with other sources like NJO.

Uh, Traviss is fairly consistent with other sources, like the movies. erm

Ursumeles
I meant with other Legends sources :/
Tho LotF is so inconcistent, that concistency is incocistent mmm

ILS
I meant with other Legends sources :/mmm where do you draw the line? What has to be consistent with what? How can you judge what is an outlier and what is fair game without personal preference factoring in, when Star Wars EU is decades worth of retardation, for the most part, and has now been given the axe in favour of a black and white canon system?

At the end of the day, we all can and do ignore Legends shit we don't like, but it isn't because there's any real authority in place.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by ILS
where do you draw the line? What has to be consistent with what? How can you judge what is an outlier and what is fair game without personal preference factoring in, when Star Wars EU is decades worth of retardation, for the most part, and has now been given the axe in favour of a black and white canon system?

At the end of the day, we all can and do ignore Legends shit we don't like, but it isn't because there's any real authority in place.
I compare LotF mainly with NJO/DNT, but also LoE and co.
It is just strange, when Luke absolutely destroys UnuThul(who himself is badass as well) in DNT, only that someone who is close to him(sabers-wise, and has done impressive shit as well) statlemates Aurra Sing.

ILS
I compare LotF mainly with NJO/DNT, but also LoE and co.
It is just strange, when Luke absolutely destroys UnuThul(who himself is badass as well) in DNT, only that someone who is close to him(sabers-wise, and has done impressive shit as well) statlemates Aurra Sing. Eh, everyone uses Aurra Sing against Jacen but in reality she didn't accomplish very much in the fight itself and the only reason she had any leverage is because she was a hair away from killing Jacen's daughter. Without that factor I think it's apparent she would be dealt swiftly enough.

That, or Aayla Secura ~ Jacen, which I'm not entirely unhappy about.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by ILS
Eh, everyone uses Aurra Sing against Jacen but in reality she didn't accomplish very much in the fight itself and the only reason she had any leverage is because she was a hair away from killing Jacen's daughter. Without that factor I think it's apparent she would be dealt swiftly enough.

That, or Aayla Secura ~ Jacen, which I'm not entirely unhappy about.
smile smile thumb up
Average Mandalorians aren't better tho, kek.

Nope.

Ursumeles
Wait. Wasn't it in Invincible that Jacen statlemates the two Mando's...
Wow. Even Denning is inconcistent af- from contending with Luke, to having problems with Mando's.

DarthAnt66
Haven't gotten there yet. I'll let you know.

Ursumeles
IIRC, he fought them as Jaina shot him.

DarthAnt66
"Jacen and I are matched in terms of Force strengths. But he's picked up training in Force techniques I don't even understand, so my best chance of taking him is to use skills he doesn't have. And I'm pretty sure you never gave him the top ten Mandalorian tips on Jedi busting."

Leave it to Traviss to write something as stupid as "Force strengths."

ares834

Zenwolf
messed

Ursumeles
Thanks Ares.

MythLord
Karren just downplays Force users since she considers the Mando's as the Lords and Saviors of Star Wars...

But maybe, just maybe, Saba is just really fvcking good. smile smile smile

Ursumeles
Originally posted by MythLord
But maybe, just maybe, Saba is just really fvcking good. smile smile smile
What do you mean? Lol

MythLord
I mean maybe she's just one of the MVP Jedi of the time; and perhaps all time.

Ursumeles
That's obvious smile

SunRazer
Allston's boring but passable. Traviss is utter trash in every sense of the word, and Denning is a step or two behind her.

SunRazer
@Ares -

That's another instance in Invicible. IIRC, there's a second fight where Caedus gets tagged by Mandalorians.

ares834
Got an excerpt?

SunRazer
Not on hand, unfortunately.

ares834
Hmm... I expect you're thinking about when Jaina snipes Jacen when he is killing some Mandos.

Ursumeles
https://i.imgflip.com/1ef45j.jpg

SunRazer
Originally posted by ares834
Hmm... I expect you're thinking about when Jaina snipes Jacen when he is killing some Mandos.

It's probably that one, yeah. Although I'm referring to the Mandalorians' showing against him, not Jaina.

DarthAnt66
Troy's version of Fett is fantastic.

Fett (without his mask) walks in a room with Han, Leia, and Jaina and starts to throw shade at all three of them.

Then Luke Skywalker himself walks in, and then Boba practically spits in Luke's face.

The balls on this guy...

SunRazer
It's easy to do that as someone who can't sense his Force power, lol.

But yeah, Boba's cool.

DarthAnt66
Invincible is finished!

Next is Fate of the Jedi, but I'll do Ctrl+F for that using the following terms:

"brother"

"twin"

"son"

"father"

"Jacen"

"Caedus"

Along with all the listed abilities Luke and Ben learned tracing Jacen's steps.

ILS
Invincible is finished!

Next is Fate of the Jedi, but I'll do Ctrl+F for that using the following terms:

"brother"

"twin"

"son"

"father"

"Jacen"

"Caedus"

Along with all the listed abilities Luke and Ben learned tracing Jacen's steps. Don't forget "debunked" and "limitations shed"

NewGuy01
Invincible is finished!

"brother"

"twin"

"son"

"father"

"Jacen"

"Caedus"

Along with all the listed abilities Luke and Ben learned tracing Jacen's steps.

Don't forget nephew.

DarthAnt66
CoD?

DarthAnt66
All I have left is the above. ^

MythLord
Skip most of it. A lot of Insider has nothing valuable; The Databanks are generic; Wizards of the Coast is... meh. And a lot of those sourcebooks are just for kid Jacen.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.