Valkorion vs. Palpatine: who is better written?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
1. Who is a more a compelling character?
2. Who is more original?
3. Who has had a greater influence on popular culture?

Ursumeles
Darth Bane.

The Ellimist
answer the damn question

Azronger
Palpatine in all.

Ursumeles
Sidious in all with eZ.

ILS
1. Valkorion because he is grey and edgy

2. Valkorion because he is grey and edgy

3. Valkorion because he can eat galaxies

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by The Ellimist
2. Who is more original?

Neither. They're both archetypes taken to the extreme.

Deronn_solo
Neither are original, or compelling characters.

Vader is easily the best written, most intricate, and deftly developed villain in Star Wars.

MythLord
Sheev murks.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Neither are original, or compelling characters.

Vader is easily the best written, most intricate, and deftly developed villain in Star Wars.

The culminating point of his character arc, his redemption, wasn't even remotely set up until near the end of ESB, and even then, there's never any clear moral conflict to it.

He's a great character, but not sure if that means he was "deftly developed", at least not in his original appearances.

Deronn_solo
Well, if we're going strictly by the OT movies and ignoring everything else, then sure, I admit Vader isn't all that special.

But the prequels, in conjunction with the EU, makes Vader a rather complex character.

Surtur
Well in the prequels he is more of a whiny psychopath than "complex" to me.

Unbowed
Both of them are far from compelling or original. Sidious is shit, barely a step above a saturday morning cartoon villain.

Valkorion is not quite as bad, but he's just your typical anime villain with a god complex. He does have some cool lines though.

MythLord
Originally posted by Surtur
Well in the prequels he is more of a whiny psychopath than "complex" to me.

He's meant to be emotionally unstable. Dear Jesus, suddenly any badass man who has emotions is not actually a character with depth, but a b!tch...

Surtur
Originally posted by MythLord
He's meant to be emotionally unstable. Dear Jesus, suddenly any badass man who has emotions is not actually a character with depth, but a b!tch...

I guess for me it has to do with the way the films presented Anakin. It's not like I prefer characters who have no emotions.

I just feel there would have been better ways to show off his anger, frustration, and fear. I very much prefer the versions of Anakin from the Clone Wars cartoons. Especially the CGI Clone Wars show. That character was indeed complex and wasn't whiny like the movie version.

JKBart
Originally posted by Surtur
I guess for me it has to do with the way the films presented Anakin. It's not like I prefer characters who have no emotions.

I just feel there would have been better ways to show off his anger, frustration, and fear. I very much prefer the versions of Anakin from the Clone Wars cartoons. Especially the CGI Clone Wars show. That character was indeed complex and wasn't whiny like the movie version.

This. TCW Anakin is more... understandable. He is a great guy, he's a real hero, a real friend, and incredibly courageous at that. He walks close to the Dark Side, he gets aggressive, angry, he gets very emotional (Obi-Wan playing dead, finding out that Kenobi and the rest cheated him on that; Ahsoka's case in S5; Ahsoka's case on Geonosis; etc), but you still see him as being a great guy, a good person, but somebody who is also definitely capable to fall. TCW Anakin is somebody who definitely has the potential to fall, but who is also a great friend and a real hero. He is much better character.

Movie Anakin, and most versions of Anakin in EU too, is one of the most pathetic characters both in SW and in fiction.

DarthAnt66
I love movie Anakin.

S_W_LeGenD
1. I don't like this comparison. Both are compelling in their own right.

2. Valkorion is what Vitiate should have been since the start. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

3. Palpatine

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I love movie Anakin.

You are essentially his target demographic kiddo :maybe

DarthAnt66
oh sh!t

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.