Besides Thrawn...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Is Darth Vader the Empire's greatest military leader?

Ursumeles
Either he or Tarkin.

TenebrousWay
Strategy vs Tactics

Zenwolf
In terms of fleet? Since that's Thrawn's shtick...yeah.(Unless I've missed where he's also commanded ground forces.)

Overall though, in both Fleet & Ground, Vader should be the best yeah.

Kurk
Vader is seen to be a puppet of both Tarkin and Sidious in the OT. Don't know what you're talking about.

Jmanghan
It doesn't mean they're better tacticians then him... :/

ares834
Originally posted by Kurk
Vader is seen to be a puppet of both Tarkin and Sidious in the OT. Don't know what you're talking about.

laughing out loud

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Zenwolf
In terms of fleet? Since that's Thrawn's shtick...yeah.(Unless I've missed where he's also commanded ground forces.)

Overall though, in both Fleet & Ground, Vader should be the best yeah. thumb up

Darth Demenos
I would say he is second only to thrawn. I mean palpatine did make him the leader of the empire's military, in legends anyway.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Demenos
I would say he is second only to thrawn. I mean palpatine did make him the leader of the empire's military, in legends anyway.

Which wouldn't make him 2nd to Thrawn, if he's leader of all Imperial Forces this would make him number 1.

Now I surmise that Jman, you were asking Fleet wise. Then yeah Vader would probably be the 2nd, given how ridiculously hax Thrawn is at it.

Darth Demenos
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Which wouldn't make him 2nd to Thrawn, if he's leader of all Imperial Forces this would make him number 1.

Now I surmise that Jman, you were asking Fleet wise. Then yeah Vader would probably be the 2nd, given how ridiculously hax Thrawn is at it.
I was not speaking of rank, I was saying he was inferior to thrawn when it came to strategy and tactics.

Zenwolf
I was not speaking of rank, I was saying he was inferior to thrawn when it came to strategy and tactics.

Yeah in terms of Fleet sure.

But overall in both Fleet & Ground, Vader is the superior leader, which would make him overall the greatest since he's not a sole focused one.

Darth Demenos
if you look at it that way, then possibly, yes. i am still inclined to think that thrawn is more intelligent when it comes to war, in any way shape or form. i could see thrawn directing ground attacks, personally, but he probably never would.

cdtm

By Legends, a lot of people are > Vader.

Palpatine's playing Vader against people all the time. Even the recent Darth Vader comic has him subordinate to fleet admiral's, intelligence operatives and such (Palpatine burdened him with handlers, for crying out loud.)

ares834
No. In legends, by the time of ESB, Vader is the Supreme Commander.

In the DV comics he is made subordinate to Tagge (and only Tagge) as punishment for the Death Star's destruction. Of course, by the end he is once more in Palpatine's favor and outranks (and kills) Tagge.

Darth Demenos
Originally posted by ares834
No. In legends, by the time of ESB, Vader is the Supreme Commander.

In the DV comics he is made subordinate to Tagge (and only Tagge) as punishment for the Death Star's destruction. Of course, by the end he is once more in Palpatine's favor and outranks (and kills) Tagge.
thumb up

relentless1

Vaders official title is Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces... he's legit second in command... the Emperor sent him to the Death Star as an observer, Tarkin had tactical command there but Vader still technically outranked him.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by cdtm
By Legends, a lot of people are > Vader.

Within the Empire?

I can really only see Piett and Veers as being even close to Vader in their respective fields of command, not his superior. Piett could possibly be the 2nd best Fleet Commander aside from Thrawn, given it's noted he rivaled all 12 of the Grand Admirals.

ares834
I'm pretty sure he is talking about rank considering his second paragraph.

Zenwolf
Fair enough.

cdtm

thumb up

And frankly, Palpatine seems to enjoy giving Vader a hard time, in any media.

"Strike your father down, and take his place at my side!" Yeah, he was indispensible to Palpatine. laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.