Three best Star Wars Movies so far

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
Now that Rogue One is out. What are your big 3?

playa1258
ESB
ANH
R1

ares834
ESB
ANH
RotS

quanchi112
Rots
Rotj
TFA

Impediment
The OT, always and forever.

BruceSkywalker
ESB
TFA
R1

carthage
ESB
ANH
ROTJ

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Impediment
The OT, always and forever.

Inhuman
Star Wars Holiday Special
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure

DTM
ANH
ESB
ROTJ

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Inhuman

laughing out loud

I don't plan on seeing Rogue Gayness for a while and I've never much cared for most of RotJ, but I think I may have to agree with the original trilogy. Back when the movies had some soul. And I personally rather like Episodes II & III. The big arena scene in Episode II is cool.

Darth Thor

I really rate you for even knowing those names.

riv6672
I remember watching the holiday special as a kid.

Anyway, the OT i guess. Not a huge SW fan.

steverules_2

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sIR0zpi-6fE/VLavQ3uyBUI/AAAAAAAAJrM/R9fewwzbJ7o/s1600/6010.jpg

Ascendancy
The Great Ewok Adventure was a classic spinoff.

ESB
RotJ
RotS

The new mess is garbage thus far. I will likely skip the next two episodes until they're out on HBO or whatnot once again.

dadudemon
Originally posted by quanchi112
Rots
Rotj
TFA

Great list.

Mine would be:

RotS
AotC
RotJ

In that order.

The_Tempest
ESB/ROTS
ANH?
R1?

Ascendancy
I can't understand the love for AotC. Too much cheese in between the good parts.

ares834
Originally posted by Ascendancy
I can't understand the love for AotC. Too much cheese in between the good parts.

Good parts?

Ascendancy
Originally posted by ares834
Good parts?

Maul showing up in the desert, Maul fighting Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

ares834
Maul was in AotC? Huh, I must've forgot more of AotC then I realized.

John Murdoch

http://replygif.net/i/542.gif

quanchi112
Maul showing up in the desert, Maul fighting Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Oh brother.

queeq

Ah... the good old days. When they still knew how to make movies.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by ares834
Maul was in AotC? Huh, I must've forgot more of AotC then I realized.

Yes, it was the secret directors cut.

But seriously, AotC was poo, and it and everything other than Maul in Phantom Menace could have been tossed into a much shorter film so that we could get to the good stuff in RotS.

Darth Martin
TESB
ANH
ROTS

Darth Thor
It pleases me to see the number of people who have ROTS in their top 3.

carthage
AOTC and TPM are mediocre films

Kazenji
Yeah as a whole, But each has some good scenes.

Khazra Reborn
esb
Rots
Rotj

queeq
Originally posted by Darth Thor
It pleases me to see the number of people who have ROTS in their top 3.

For me it has to star with ROTJ, which has to me a couple of really better scenes. (Opening with Vader and Jerjerrod and basically all Vader-Emperor scenes (including the ones with Luke)). To me the ROTS never reaches the level of those scenes. But ROTJ is a little unbalanced. (So is ROTS btw... and so is R1).

Surtur
A big problem with most of the prequels is Lucas thought that shitty writing and acting could be somehow overlooked as long as you threw as much CGI into each scene as possible.

The big pod race scene in ep 1 is f*cking boring as hell. But think about how much time they spent on that sequence, and for what? It was just dull. It had a cool lightsaber fight at the end, but that was about it. The characters were dull, I've seen Vulcans show more emotion than Qui Gon Jinn. I'm not going to even begin to ask why they never ever returned to Tatooine to purchase Anakins mother as well. I know when they first were there all they had were republic credits, but they couldn't find some way to free her? To get the money to do it? But meh. Don't even get me started on that Yoda puppet.

Attack of the Clones took things that should have been cool(like a hundred jedi battling droids) but it was again..eh. The lightsaber fight was the highlight, and everything else was awful. I've watched the special features many times and they talk about the droid factory sequence and how it was a fun sequence and all this but..it was dull lol, very dull. It's kind of amusing that both the CGI Clone Wars series and the other Clone Wars series..both were vastly superior in terms of quality, when compared to episode 2. Yet the CGI Clone Wars film the CGI series was a continuation of..was awful.

They finally learned some kind of lesson by the time episode 3 rolled around. RotS is a great film as long as you remove every single love scene from it. The sequence when Anakin and Padme are all: I'm in love with you. No I'm soo in love with you. Oh so love has blinded you? Blah blah blah. Then of course you have this strong, apparently intelligent and independent woman who essentially gives up on life because her husband likes to kill kids with energy swords. She had family members who could help her raise these children.

So my top 3 would be Empire, RotJ, and RotS.

Bit off topic but: wtf ever happened to the live action show we were supposed to get?

Firefly218
RotJ
ESB
ANH

Nothing's changed for me

queeq
Originally posted by Surtur
Bit off topic but: wtf ever happened to the live action show we were supposed to get?

Out of the window a long time ago. We got Clone Wars and Rebels instead. And now... the anthology movies.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Surtur
A big problem with most of the prequels is Lucas thought that shitty writing and acting could be somehow overlooked as long as you threw as much CGI into each scene as possible.

ILM put tons of work in, but Lucas' claim is that CGI isn't supposed to be what propels the story. Certainly it isn't what makes any of the films have a compelling story, but I think he's a bit silly to pretend like the epic scope of the effects doesn't tremendously add to the films, or that they didn't try to cover up a lot of weak elements in the first two prequels by throwing tons of CGI at it.

queeq
Well no. This is what Lucas wanted to make. I think the big difference there between the OT and the PT is that in making the OT there were a lot of people putting their efforts in to make the SCRIPT work. Actors changed lines, producer Gary Kurtz had a big say in the matter, other directors came in and did their thing, visual effects designers did what they felt was right.

At the time of the PT Lucas was surrounded by yes-men and he just did what he felt was right.

Surtur
ILM put tons of work in, but Lucas' claim is that CGI isn't supposed to be what propels the story. Certainly it isn't what makes any of the films have a compelling story, but I think he's a bit silly to pretend like the epic scope of the effects doesn't tremendously add to the films, or that they didn't try to cover up a lot of weak elements in the first two prequels by throwing tons of CGI at it.

Yeah on the RotS special features is this hour long documentary about all the work and effort it took to create....50 seconds worth of a sequence on Mustafar.

Which of course just those 50 seconds was a massive effort.

And yet a lot of the times the CGI just felt sterile..though by the 3rd movie it got better. He should have never been allowed to write those films.

Some people say George lLucas ruined their childhood with the prequels, but the reality is he just ruined an opportunity to make some awesome films. Seeing the fall of Vader should have been epic and tragic and yet..when he's force choking his wife? It's meh, who cares. When his legs get chopped off? Meh, the guy was a whiny brat.

Surtur
Originally posted by queeq
Well no. This is what Lucas wanted to make. I think the big difference there between the OT and the PT is that in making the OT there were a lot of people putting their efforts in to make the SCRIPT work. Actors changed lines, producer Gary Kurtz had a big say in the matter, other directors came in and did their thing, visual effects designers did what they felt was right.

At the time of the PT Lucas was surrounded by yes-men and he just did what he felt was right.

As someone who loves watching special features and has watched the special features for the prequels many times..it's always hilarious when you see the people around George trying really really hard to act like they approve of some terrible idea.

It's very telling because a lot of the praise you see the actors and crew heaping onto George usually just comes down to "oh he is pushing the boundaries of technology!" lol. They have nothing else to really say.

zslick
I have and idea of a Project BlackWing movie. Its just idea...

Imagine a movie about the Blackwing Project Movie.

For those who don't know. It was a virus created by Sith Lord Darth Drear who tried to create immortality but instead created a zombie like virus which he fell victim to. The project was scratched until one thousand years later when the great galactic war happened Darth Scabrous had attempted to recreate the virus and succeed where Drear had failed but his attempts created more of a mess. The virus was released on to the staff, Student, other Sith lords on the planet. It had been forgotten on the planet until Lord Vader had discovered it and attempted to recreate it again and failed to contain it as well.

My idea of a movie

(Not going by the comics)

My idea of a movie is Galen Marek (Starkiller) and another Darth Vader pupil had been sent to a planet to extract the virus for his research purposes and to recreate it for the immortality. They were aboard the vector ship where some prisoners were being held on it and to throw in some fan memorabilia in the mix Han solo and Chewie were among the prisoners. They get to the planet to get the virus as they were on it they discovered the black saber was on the planet as well but they weren't aware it was being held by the former Sith Darth Maul. They both contacted Darth Vader about the saber in which of course he responded for them to investigate and take it but Maul knew about the researchers on the planet so he seeked them out to kill them as revenge on the Sith.

Hidden plot: The Female pupil of Darth Vader was deemed to be stronger than Starkiller and Vader put them together so they can grow together and as the time was right she was to kill Starkiller so she can become stronger with darkside of the force. She was intended to kill Starkiller on the planet.

Maul attacked the researchers and the release the virus among the staff and some of the prisoners. The pupil and Starkiller had a duel with Maul and had to deal with those infected with the virus. Something happened where Starkiller and the pupil were trapped as maul escaped. At that moment seeing Starkiller being injured she activated her light saber behind his back thinking of the perfect opportunity to kill him. She raised her red lightsaber close to his face saying from behind him "I am sorry but Lord Vader commanded me to kill you to complete my training but I can not as I feel force pushing toward the light side." At that moment Starkiller activated his lightsaber piercing her abdomen. She fell to the ground with her last dying breathe saying "Don't trust Vader" (There is a reason why she didn't say lord at that moment). That's when Starkiller was questioning the dark side of the force and Vaders motives.

Vader hearing the news about the Black Saber he decided to go to the planet himself. He got there at the moment where the researchers were being eaten and the prisoners were escaping as Han Solo and Chewie were escaping you see Darth Vader dealing with his fallen researchers and scientist. Darth Vader feeling the presence of the once sith appretience Darth Maul (maul felt Vaders presence as well which is why he left in a hurry as well). Vader used the force to feel Starkillers presence but couldn't feel the female pupils presence. He found him passed out and with help with other storm troppers carrying him to his ship. On the way to the ship he turned around to see the female pupil walking around with her lightsaber in her hand and noticed the wound on her abdomen. He walked up to her chopping her head off and using the force to take the light saber away. As they boarded Vaders ship he put the light saber next to Starkiller on the bed and walked away.

The end

queeq
OMG...

AuraAngel
While I do like a lot of things within the PT(though I would consider RotS to be the only good one overall), and I do think TFA has a lot of strengths regardless of my personal feelings, can anything really top the OT?

A New Hope is an absolutely elegantly paced film that perfectly sets up the climax and hits every emotional beat it needs to effortlessly. It terms of pure structure, there is no equal to it.

Empire Strikes Back is widely considered to be the best and with a heavy emphasis on a darker tone it is not hard to see why. It is dripping with atmosphere and the tragedy of some scenes are impeccable.

Return of the Jedi is widely considered the worst but to me it is the best. It has the biggest problem in the whole series(Leia is my sister!) but it completes the character arc of Darth Vader in a satisfying way, giving the audience an experience that they didn't even realize they wanted.

TheGrat1
ESB
RotS
AotC

Markk
A new hope

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.