Your top 5 films of 2016

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
It's that time again. 2016 is almost at an end, and the vast majority of the films have been released for the year. So, which were the top 5 films you enjoyed the most this year?

I have a provisional list, myself. But I am only getting the opportunity to go see Rogue One tomorrow evening, so not sure if my list will remain the same after that.

Khazra Reborn
Hmmm. I'll have to think about that.

riv6672
In NPO.

Suicide Squad
Deadpool
I Am Not A Serial Killer
Yoga Hosers

I'm open for a #5. Not a great year (for me) movie wise. Nothing really scary/funny/romantic/actiony/just plain good, that really REALLY blew me away that i didnt already list.

Patient_Leech
Top 5:

1. Hacksaw Ridge
2. Don't Breathe
3. Green Room
4. The Shallows
5. Inferno

Honorable Mentions:

1. The Witch
2. The Jungle Book

Other stuff I saw that was enjoyable at best, and abysmal at worst:

Secret Life of Pets
Suicide Squad
BvS
Deadpool
Gods of Egypt
Warcraft
Independence Day: Regurgitation
Legend of Tarzan
Star Trek Beyond

I still want to see the following:

Midnight Special
The Nice Guys
Morgan
Snoden
Magnificent Seven
Arrival
Rogue One
Passengers

riv6672
^^^Yup. Not a great year. stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^Yup. Not a great year. stick out tongue

Yeah, there really hasn't been too much that I've been extremely excited about.

Next year will be different, though, with War for the Planet of the Apes, Alien: Covenant, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, John Wick 2, etc... should be a fun year.

queeq
I think this one should be in there:

The Neon Demon

Surtur
I don't necessarily have a top 5. But I'd like to add "Hell or High Water" and "Captain Fantastic".

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by queeq
I think this one should be in there:

The Neon Demon

That's another one I was sort of interested in... is it worth it? RT says the plot and characters are thinly written.

ares834
1. Rogue One
2. Jungle Book
3. Hacksaw Ridge
4. Arrival
5. Nice Guys

Pretty poor year honestly.

BruceSkywalker
Cap Civil War
Rogue One
Deadpool
Inferno
Star Trek Beyond

Flyattractor
I don't think I have seen 5 new movies this year, at least none that I would place on a Best Of List.

quanchi112
The lack of Civil War or Dr. Strange appearing in the top five is beyond disturbing. One fool actually listed the crap film Suicide Squad as their favorite.

queeq
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
That's another one I was sort of interested in... is it worth it? RT says the plot and characters are thinly written.

Written maybe yes, it's no so much in what's being said. But in what you experience and see. It's very visually and stylistically rich, on the other hand very minimalistic with a rather disturbing ending.

It reminded me in some ways of the great Under the Skin. If you liked that one, you'll like this one too.

Dreampanther
In order of enjoyed the most:

1. Deadpool
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. The Accountant (or, as I like to call it, Batman vs Punisher)
4. Captain Fantastic
5. Sing Street

Movies I haven't seen yet (I hate going to theatres) but would probably make the list:

Dr Strange
Rogue One
Moana

Honourable mentions:

Snowden
Jungle Book
Tarzan
Wilder People
Sully

Arachnid1
Captain America: Civil War
Arrival
Hell or High Water
Rogue One
Hacksaw Ridge

jaden101
Been a fair few

Hell or Highwater
Arrival
Green Room
The Lobster
The Nice Guys
Neon Demon
Girl on the Train
I, Daniel Blake
Train to Busan
The Girl with all the Gifts
Son of Saul

Dreampanther
I thought there would be more Deadpool love.

Patient_Leech
Written maybe yes, it's no so much in what's being said. But in what you experience and see. It's very visually and stylistically rich, on the other hand very minimalistic with a rather disturbing ending.

It reminded me in some ways of the great Under the Skin. If you liked that one, you'll like this one too.

Yeah, I did like Under The Skin. Cool, so I'll try to check it out.

I liked his Pusher film (even liked both sequels), but I haven't seen much else by him. I wanted to like Valhalla Rising, but it was just too slow for me. I think I might have seen Drive, but I don't remember it very well so I guess it didn't make much of an impression on me. I really find Ryan Gosling very boring.

Khazra Reborn
In no order

Captain America: Civil War
The Conjuring 2
The Nice Guys
Deadpool
The Green Room

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Cap Civil War
Rogue One
Deadpool
Inferno
Star Trek Beyond

oh crap i forgot about dr strange so will revise my list..

so Cap Civil War
Dr. Strange
Rogue One
Deadpool
Inferno

riv6672
Yeah, there really hasn't been too much that I've been extremely excited about.

Next year will be different, though, with War for the Planet of the Apes, Alien: Covenant, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, John Wick 2, etc... should be a fun year.
Hopefully.

Not saying as an example, the movies you listed are all bad but even the ones i liked have little to no 're-watch' appeal to me.
Nothing teally Zinged me.

Surtur
Originally posted by quanchi112
The lack of Civil War or Dr. Strange appearing in the top five is beyond disturbing. One fool actually listed the crap film Suicide Squad as their favorite.

So you are disturbed if people do not share the same tastes as you?

Firefly218
1. La La Land
2. Star Wars Rogue One
3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
4. Captain America Civil War
5. Deadpool

queeq
Yeah, I did like Under The Skin. Cool, so I'll try to check it out.

I liked his Pusher film (even liked both sequels), but I haven't seen much else by him. I wanted to like Valhalla Rising, but it was just too slow for me. I think I might have seen Drive, but I don't remember it very well so I guess it didn't make much of an impression on me. I really find Ryan Gosling very boring.

Haven't seen Valhalla Rising yet. I did watch Only God Forgives. All of them are slow, so is The Neon Demon. But this one made more of an impression to be honest. It's a little similar to only God Forgives in the narrative, but I found that one more boring. Maybe it's Ryan Gosling... he does have that monotone stare... He's not in The Neon Demon BTW. ;-)

TheVaultDweller
So, going to add mine to the bunch:

1. Dr. Strange
2. The Nice Guys
3. Deadpool
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Warcraft

Though there are a couple of others mentioned in this thread that I haven't seen yet, but still want to.

John Murdoch
Off the top of my head:

1. 13 Hours
2. Rogue One
3. Civil War
4. The Accountant
5. Sing Street

Ascendancy
Still have to see The Accountant this week. Actually haven't seen 5 films from this year I don't believe.

The Nice Guys
Deadpool
Civil War

I saw TFA, and it falls in there by virtue of the fact that I've seen so few films, but it wasn't very good. If it weren't for all they money behind it, it really doesn't stand up well on its own merits.

dynamix
man can't believe i haven't seen green room yet!

my list in no particular order

The Witch
Civil War
Arrival
Dr. Strange
Hacksaw Ridge

Flyattractor
Hardcore Henry and The Nice Guys.

carthage
Civil War
Rogue One
The Conjuring
Jungle Book
Hell or High water

Inhuman
There are a lot of films I still have to see from this year sad

Zack M
Zootopia
Jungle Book
Nice Guys
Conjuring 2

Darth Thor
Rogue One
Civil War
Jungle Book

Have to see more 2016 films before I complete a top5, but I don't see the top 3 changing.

StiltmanFTW
You forgot about Dr. Strange.

Darth Thor
^ Dr. Strange and Deadpool would probably make it into my top5. But until I see the other films this year like Hacksaw Ridge, I wouldn't know for sure. Like I wasn't expecting Jungle Book to be that good until I saw it. Some non-superhero non-Star Wars films surprise you sometimes wink

Firefly218
Ok everyone here clearly hasn't seen Moonlight or La La Land

MF DELPH
Not in order:

Silence
Arrival
Moonlight
The Edge of 17
Fences

Honorable Mentions:

Hacksaw Ridge
Sing Street
10 Cloverfield Lane (divisive movie, but I dug it up until Winstead's escape and the reveal)
Don't Breathe

Robtard
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Silence

How high would you rate this? Something I'm really looking forward to watching.

The Nuul
it's good to see the hell or high water love. it's a great movie thumb up

don't have 5 so here's my top 3:

hell or high water
rogue one
deep water horizon

i want to see Hacksaw Ridge, and it will probably be on my list

inferno wasn't bad, not on my list though

cap sw was pretty good but i am sick of superhero movies so it's not on my list

Zack M
Originally posted by Firefly218
Ok everyone here clearly hasn't seen Moonlight or La La Land

Yeah, there is still more films I need to see. Plus there are probably a lot of them I forgot. TBH, Zootopia is the only one that would be in my top 5, officially. I'm expecting some great things from La La Land.

Markk
Silence
Arrival
Moonlight
The Conjuring 2
Sully

Patient_Leech

Watched it. It was pretty mesmerizing to watch. Eye candy galore. I enjoyed the way it was filmed. That's the way films should be filmed, completely absorbing. Keanu Reeves had quite an unexpected role, haha.

On the one hand I get what they were going for, it's sort of symbolic and metaphorical. These narcissistic models all want to be younger and younger to remain relevant in the industry. And to what lengths will they go to to remain relevant. So realism is clearly not what they film is striving for, but I might have found it more interesting if these models, whom you wouldn't expect to have much depth, actually were portrayed with character and depth so that you'd care when they get brutally murdered. I think it could have had more impact, but I did enjoy it for what it was.

Patient_Leech

Top 5:

1. Hacksaw Ridge
2. Don't Breathe
3. Green Room
4. The Shallows
5. Inferno

I'll revise my Top 5 list after watching Hush..

Top 5:

1. Hacksaw Ridge
2. Don't Breathe
3. Green Room
4. Hush
5. The Shallows

MF DELPH
Originally posted by Robtard
How high would you rate this? Something I'm really looking forward to watching.

I'd say at least a 4/5. The subject matter is handled very well and without being preachy. Between this and Hacksaw Ridge I have a newfound respect for Andrew Garfield's acting ability since before 2016 I hadn't seen anything of his acting aside from the Amazing Spider-man films. I'm actually going to make it a practice to check out the movies he's starring in going forward. The same with Adam Driver aside from The Social Network and The Force Awakens. These dudes actually have chops. Very good film (which is to be expected given it's a Scorsese film). Lucked out being invited to an advanced screening over in San Francisco with my homegirl that works for Google.

ianthek
Aussie release dates, by the way:

1 Ouija: Origin of Evil
2 The Conjuring 2
3 Goosebumps
4 Bone Tomahawk
5 Howl

queeq
I might have found it more interesting if these models, whom you wouldn't expect to have much depth, actually were portrayed with character and depth so that you'd care when they get brutally murdered. I think it could have had more impact, but I did enjoy it for what it was.

I get that. To me though, I think the whole point was that these models didn't have much depth and character, other than being loved for being unique beauties. Which they aren't, they're not beautiful on the inside and on the outside they're only beautiful until another comes along.

It's more a movie experience than an in depth character study. It allowed a lot of room for my own imagination. And that's great.

In a way, although this one clearly is more flat and stylised, it thematically reminded me a little of Boogie Nights.

Refn did a similar approach to Only God Forgives... but that one feels contrived and shallow compared to this one. Weird...

The Nuul
i am pretty much caught up on the movies i wanted to watch for 2016

la la land was magical and Hacksaw Ridge was amazing

here's my top 5

la la land
hacksaw ridge
hell or high water
deep water horizon
don't breathe

Kazenji
Doubt i'll be checking out La La Land

not a fan of musicals.

jinXed by JaNx
La La Land
The Nice Guys
Deadpool
Rogue One
Captain America

The Nuul
Originally posted by Kazenji
Doubt i'll be checking out La La Land

not a fan of musicals.

it's a really good movie

just be a cheap piece of shit like me... stream it smile

there's no need for DLing these days thumb up

Dr Will Hatch
La La Land
The Nice Guys
Arrival
Moonlight
The Handmaiden

jinXed by JaNx
Why does everyone like the Arrival? The movie was terrible.

Dr Will Hatch
Terrible? How? It's a good movie. I don't think that it's a masterpiece like some people seem to do, but I really enjoyed it. It's one of the few sci-fi movies that shows how difficult it would actually be to communicate with aliens.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.