Did Barriss Offee die in Canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
Just rewatching some Clone Wars episodes and was watching the one where she was arrested and realized that was the last time I ever recall her appearing in canon material. She couldn't have died in Order 66 because she wasn't an active Jedi anymore. Unless the Clones just murdered her in her cell.

So did she die somewhere or did she end up working with the Empire?

Darth Thor
It's not been addressed.

Fated Xtasy
For a while it's been thought that she was the Seventh Sister. Until they basically denied that so who knows?

juggernaut74
I thought that as well. But she still might show up in Rebels as an Inquisitor.

Emperordmb
The entire reason Barriss betrayed the shit out of the Jedi was because she thought the Jedi were becoming oppressive tools, and because she was dissatisfied with the direction the Republic was headed in.

Her being the assassins/agents of an authoritarian empire is completely out of character for her. It would make more sense for her to become some anti-imperial terrorist who takes shit too far.

What's ****ing stupid is that they didn't execute Barriss. Now I'm not endorsing the death penalty, but they were up in arms and ready to execute Ahsoka when her involvement in the Temple bombing was ambiguous, but when they definitively find out Barriss not only did that but framed an innocent person and almost got them murdered for it, that's when everyone suddenly regains their humanity and decides "teh death penalty is wrong!"

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Emperordmb
The entire reason Barriss betrayed the shit out of the Jedi was because she thought the Jedi were becoming oppressive tools, and because she was dissatisfied with the direction the Republic was headed in.

Her being the assassins/agents of an authoritarian empire is completely out of character for her. It would make more sense for her to become some anti-imperial terrorist who takes shit too far.

What's ****ing stupid is that they didn't execute Barriss. Now I'm not endorsing the death penalty, but they were up in arms and ready to execute Ahsoka when her involvement in the Temple bombing was ambiguous, but when they definitively find out Barriss not only did that but framed an innocent person and almost got them murdered for it, that's when everyone suddenly regains their humanity and decides "teh death penalty is wrong!" I think the Emperor got to her that's why she wasn't to be executed.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I think the Emperor got to her that's why she wasn't to be executed.
No I believe it's mentioned somewhere in Dark Disciple that she wasn't executed because "that would be cruel" or some shit.

What would Palpatine want with her? Her values were directly in opposition to his own, she was speaking out against what the republic was becoming, and as shown with Ahsoka the people were out for blood.

The smart thing to do for Sheev as a politician would be to give the people what they want, and remove someone speaking out against what the republic is becoming.

juggernaut74
No I believe it's mentioned somewhere in Dark Disciple that she wasn't executed because "that would be cruel" or some shit.

What would Palpatine want with her? Her values were directly in opposition to his own, she was speaking out against what the republic was becoming, and as shown with Ahsoka the people were out for blood.

The smart thing to do for Sheev as a politician would be to give the people what they want, and remove someone speaking out against what the republic is becoming. Well he persuaded Dooku to join him so I think he could have did the same with Barriss, perhaps becoming a Inquisitor.

Fated Xtasy
Psychological torture? Mind Control? Breaking her very spirit and Force her to submit to his will?

CareBar's story would make for an excellent novel. Twisted and dark. Something like Shatterpoint.

juggernaut74
Maybe he gave her the option to join him or die.

Emperordmb
Well he persuaded Dooku to join him so I think he could have did the same with Barriss, perhaps becoming a Inquisitor.
Dooku was much more powerful than Barriss, knew a ****ton about the inner workings of the Jedi Order, Sidious had big plans for Dooku as the leader of the CIS and his apprentice.

Barriss on the other hand is a Jedi Padawan who became a huge terrorist in the public spotlight, so I really doubt Sheev is going to the trouble of doing some big cover up thing to facilitate her agency as some lowly inquisitor.

Plus the main reason Sidious was able to manipulate Dooku's idealism the way he did was because Dooku was always narcissistic even as a Jedi.

MythLord
And Dooku's ideals were similar to Palpatine's own. Tyranus was under the impresion the CIS would become the Empire, when the Republic and Jedi fall, IIRC. So he more-or-less agrees with Sheev's political views.

juggernaut74
Barriss was a Padawan who gave Anakin a hard time trying to arrest her. She was just teeing off with her skill and she had a lot more to learn weather it be from a Jedi or a Sith. She would be a very valuable asset to mold.

Kurk

The smart thing to do for Sheev as a politician would be to give the people what they want, and remove someone speaking out against what the republic is becoming. It says nothing of the sort. Just that they were seriously considering Vos's execution post Barriss.

Well he persuaded Dooku to join him so I think he could have did the same with Barriss, perhaps becoming a Inquisitor.
I thought Dooku was pretty set on his decision before meeting him but I could be wrong.

Barriss should've joined Dooku. Or Tano when she left should've.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Psychological torture? Mind Control? Breaking her very spirit and Force her to submit to his will?

CareBar's story would make for an excellent novel. Twisted and dark. Something like Shatterpoint.
Maybe he gave her the option to join him or die.
Sure it's theoretically possible for Sidious to turn her, but to have Barriss's character arc take a dramatic twist and cement her philosophy and motivations a certain way explaining her turn to the dark side, to have her get manipulated into doing a complete 180 on those views just to have her be some lowly inquisitor instead of actually expanding on the character they've developed in this direction just seems like it would be really lazy shitty writing.

Dooku being manipulated by Sidious made sense. He viewed the Jedi as incompetent and inactive sycophants, and in his narcissism, he thought "what if the Galaxy was ruled by people who know what the **** they're doing... people like me" so Sidious manipulated him into helping topple the Republic to establish some authoritarian empire that Dooku could rule alongside him to lord his self-proclaimed wisdom over the dumbasses of the Galaxy. Dooku was at first a promising Jedi, then he did what he did at first out of a genuine intention to do good but he ****ed himself over by having to make it all about himself, became a Sith, and ultimately got betrayed by the person who turned him to the Dark Side.

^That makes sense. That is a compelling story.^

Barriss is different. She doesn't see the Jedi's incompetence/inaction as the issue, she has a problem with the activism they're taking, them inflicting their will through violence and warfare, and she clearly hates what Palpatine is manipulating the Republic into. She takes issue with the Jedi and wants people to recognize them as bad, so with that point of view she's going to view the Empire and the Inquisitors as even worse. Unlike Dooku she's not going to view the Sith/Empire as the firm strong hand that the Jedi/Republic were too weak to be, she's gonna view them as even bigger examples of what she hated in the Jedi/Republic. And being an inquisitor is a far cry from being Sidious's #2, so even if Barriss were a Dooku class narcissist, the position of an inquisitor isn't going to placate her into complacency with the self-fellating thought that she actually has any real political pull in the Galaxy.

I say have her continue on her path and have her become a terrorist against the Galactic empire who takes shit to a ridiculously immoral level. Because "Promising kind padawan turning to the dark side and becoming a terrorist fighting against an oppressive establishment in a way becomes the thing she hates; a force harming others through an infliction of her will on the larger galaxy, but she can delude herself into justifying her actions by pointing to the greater evil of the Empire and saying she has no desire to oppress the Galaxy, only to rid it of it's oppressors." is actually a compelling character arc.

"Padawan turns anti-oppressive establishment then gets forced into a sudden 180 and goes completely against her previously established views while becoming a lowly imperial lapdog (a position which does nothing to satisfy the reasons she turned to the Dark Side to begin with)" is not compelling at all and completely trashes her character arc. At best you could, as Xtasy suggests, turn it into another example of what a twisted sadistic **** Sidious is... because we don't already have an orgy of examples and evidence already concretely establishing Sidious as such.

Fated Xtasy
Yes. Tbh What i wanna see is Sidious psychologically break a Jedi. Have them tortured, brutally i might add. Literally have them break the Jedi dogma in order to survive. Show them the "true" reality of the galaxy and slowly have them actually choose to serve him.

Because Sidious is, in a way, keeping the Galaxy stable. He rules with an iron fist of oppression and Order. It would make for a compelling novel. To see Sheev actually convince a Jedi, the paragons of virtue, that he is a necessary evil, and that only through him can the galaxy ever be at peace, that the Rebels are the true villains. In all of this Bariss would choose to serve him, choose to kill for him. Thinking it's of her volition, but when in fact it is Sheev subtle coercion, indoctrination and Force Manipulation that has finally shattered her to such an extreme point, that she will never be put back together.

That would be an interesting read, and a much needed look into Sheev's manipulations and creation of the Inquisitors.

Emperordmb
Yes. Tbh What i wanna see is Sidious psychologically break a Jedi. Have them tortured, brutally i might add. Literally have them break the Jedi dogma in order to survive. Show them the "true" reality of the galaxy and slowly have them actually choose to serve him.

Because Sidious is, in a way, keeping the Galaxy stable. He rules with an iron fist of oppression and Order. It would make for a compelling novel. To see Sheev actually convince a Jedi, the paragons of virtue, that he is a necessary evil, and that only through him can the galaxy ever be at peace, that the Rebels are the true villains. In all of this Bariss would choose to serve him, choose to kill for him. Thinking it's of her volition, but when in fact it is Sheev subtle coercion, indoctrination and Force Manipulation that has finally shattered her to such an extreme point, that she will never be put back together.

That would be an interesting read, and a much needed look into Sheev's manipulations and creation of the Inquisitors.
Have him do that to some other Jedi that hasn't already embarked on a completely different path to the Dark Side then. Start a new character arc that actually fits within that story, or maybe depict the arc of the Grand Inquisitor.

Don't sacrifice an already established an interesting character arc that has much more interesting potential storylines and developments that can be built off of it, don't sacrifice who Barriss is as a character just to add to the orgy of evidence and incidents of how twisted, sadistic, and manipulative Sidious is, because that's already firmly established.

He's already manipulated Maul, Dooku, and Anakin in ways that actually fit with their characters, and we've already seen that he's an expert manipulator who ****s people over for his own ends. We don't need to ruin a perfectly good character arc that's already set up just to cement a fact about Sidious that has already been firmly cemented and fleshed out. If you think that should be done, then it should be done with a character whose story arc actually fits that story, like say a character that hasn't already lost faith in the Jedi for completely different reasons than the ones Sidious wants them to have.

Barriss's perspective is rather intriguing and puts her in a unique position as a character if they develop on it. So they should have her run with it and be an active participant in the events of Rebels with her own agenda rather than degrading her character to a mindless lapdog.

Fated Xtasy
Really? Extremist that thinks they're fighting the good fight. How absolutely compelling! Yeah, no, I don't want a Jedi Version of R1's Saw Guerreraerm

Bariss is in a unique position here. She can either be made a bland character. Or they can genuinely build her up to be one of the biggest tragedies of the mythos. Hell It would be interesting to see her get in Sheev's good graces in order to assassinate him, only to be corrupted and broken by him in the long run.

Emperordmb
Really? Extremist that thinks they're fighting the good fight. How absolutely compelling. Yeah, no, I don't want a Jedi Version of R1's Saw Guerreraerm
I'm not talking morally ambiguous like Saw, I'm talking doing some flat out terrorist twisted shit like the Taliban or ISIS.

Instead you want another imperial lapdog?

At least have Barriss do something with the perspective she developed in the Clone Wars instead of having her do a completely out of character complete 180 on her views that sacrifices her story arc just to fellate Sheev's skill as a manipulator.

The story arc you described is MUCH better suited for a Jedi who hasn't already lost faith in the Jedi Order anyways. I'd say have him do some ****ed up shit like torture and manipulate the younglings from the lightsaber making arc of Season 5 if you wanna go that route.

Fated Xtasy
Imperial Lapdog? Goodness, dmb, has the constant reading of the DBT destroyed your tastes in books? Or is this also an after effect of the LSD?

Not an Imperial lapdog, a vengeful, blinded by rage and talented misguided youth gives herself to temptation in order to kill the man she THINKS forced her hand to press those detonation buttons. But slowly, carefully and surely she realizes that he did what she was trying to do. He wiped away the "corruption", he "stabilized" several planets, and "subdued" Rebellions. By attacking the temple that day she left the Jedi, but in her madness, she tries to redeem herself, justify herself and her actions by killing Sheev. She thinks it's the Sith Lord that forced her to commit such a atrocities, but in the end she realizes that she allowed herself to be consumed by the Dark Side first, and the Sith Lord, is only doing to her what she allows him to do, and that is teach her, guide her and destroy the last vestiges of doubts that plagued her. She chose to attack the Temple, she choss to turn on Ahsoka, she chose to come to Sheev and she is choosing to allow him to break her.

What we have is an opportunity to see a character with redeeming qualities and intentions turn bad, not because of any outside intrusion, not because of a Sith artifact or Spirit, but because they chose to go down the Path of the Dark Side and they are allowing themselves to be taken further down this path.

Further more it would be an excellent way to introduce the title of Emperor's Hand in Canon. And we could see Bariss become the main villain instead of Maul in later seasons.

carthage
I'm curious as to what happened to her in canon. Did she continue her training/grow in skill like Ahsoka did, or is she off hiding on a backwater planet, or did Vader or the Inquisitors kill her.

Hard to say, same with Eeth Koth and Quinlan Vos both Jedi who may have survived Order 66/Vader's war on the Jedi

Emperordmb
Imperial Lapdog? Goodness, dmb, has the constant reading of the DBT destroyed your tastes in books? Or is this also an after effect of the LSD?
It's not like I could possibly just legitimately find something really interesting in the themes philosophies, and motivations of the characters of the DBT, no, I must be some shallow vapid idiot accepting shit on a platter because I'm as ILS says "confused" or don't know any better or some shit.

You clearly have no idea how LSD works if seriously suggesting that seems viable to you.

Not an Imperial lapdog, a vengeful, blinded by rage and talented misguided youth gives herself to temptation in order to kill the man she THINKS forced her hand to press those detonation buttons. But slowly, carefully and surely she realizes that he did what she was trying to do. He wiped away the "corruption", he "stabilized" several planets, and "subdued" Rebellions. By attacking the temple that day she left the Jedi, but in her madness, she tries to redeem herself, justify herself and her actions by killing Sheev. She thinks it's the Sith Lord that forced her to commit such a atrocities, but in the end she realizes that she allowed herself to be consumed by the Dark Side first, and the Sith Lord, is only doing to her what she allows him to do, and that is teach her, guide her and destroy the last vestiges of doubts that plagued her. She chose to attack the Temple, she choss to turn on Ahsoka, she chose to come to Sheev and she is choosing to allow him to break her.

What we have is an opportunity to see a character with redeeming qualities and intentions turn bad, not because of any outside intrusion, not because of a Sith artifact or Spirit, but because they chose to go down the Path of the Dark Side and they are allowing themselves to be taken further down this path.
Here's the thing though, we already have the story and drive for a character with redeeming qualities going down the path of the Dark Side by their own choice. And Barriss knows she freely chose to attack the Temple though and she never tried to pass that shit off on anyone else, she owned up to her choices, opinions and reasons for committing that act of terrorism in her final speech in Season 5.

Getting Sidious involved in her story as some manipulative force and having her try and blame him for her actions makes no sense when she fell on her own, chose on her own, was clearly cognizant of what she was doing, and was completely satisfied with the decisions she made of her own volition. And she clearly isn't insane or unstable.

Having her go back on that conviction and try and pass the blame to someone else completely undermines her character just for the sake of forcing a certain type of villain role in Rebels and painting the big bad in a more threatening evil light.

Further more it would be an excellent way to introduce the title of Emperor's Hand in Canon. And we could see Bariss become the main villain instead of Maul in later seasons.
It would be awkwardly forcing Barriss's character arc in a certain direction and undermining her fall to the Dark Side in TCW to suit that role, though tbf I can't deny Season 5 has shown she has the perfect skillset for such a role (stealth, infiltration, masquerading as someone else, framing people, ranged telekinetic assassination, etc.)

Fated Xtasy
It's not like I could possibly just legitimately find something really interesting in the themes philosophies, and motivations of the characters of the DBT, no, I must be some shallow vapid idiot accepting shit on a platter because I'm as ILS says "confused" or don't know any better or some shit.

Never said you were an idiot. I thought I made it clear how I felt in the PMs? I merely insinuated that the DBT is badly written. Which it is.

Good thing I'm not seriously suggesting that and that I'm merely poking fun. Lighten up, mole.

See thats all well and good. But you're ignoring the fact that she showed no remorse, no sign of regret or sadness at the lives lost because of her actions. Nor does she display any sort of emotion in attempting to kill her friend and someone like Anakin. She isn't a anti hero who did it for the greater good and regrets having to go so far. She accepts it without justifications. That in of itself speaks of the Dark Side, and lays a good foundation for a bigger story.

But shes not going back on her convictions. She's attempting to get vengeance on the man that wiped out the Order. What would merely happen is that once she finds herself in doubt about her true intentions she realizes that her fall wasn't orchestrated by Sheev from the beginning, but by her. And because of her choices she is now in the belly of the beast, serving a Sith under the guise of assassinating him. She realizes that Sheev isn't forcing her to do anything, and that everything that was laid before her were things that she could have resisted or rejected, but she chose to do them under the pretense of maintaining her cover, even though they were unnecessary. In the End she wanted to be Broken and Sheev was all the more willing to oblige.

Exactly.

Although this could also fit Quinlan. mmm

Emperordmb
See thats all well and good. But you're ignoring the fact that she showed no remorse, no sign of regret or sadness at the lives lost because of her actions. Nor does she display any sort of emotion in attempting to kill her friend and someone like Anakin. She isn't a anti hero who did it for the greater good and regrets having to go so far. She accepts it without justifications. That in of itself speaks of the Dark Side, and lays a good foundation for a bigger story.
Yeah, no shit she fell to the Dark Side. You don't need to align her with Sheev or the Empire to tell that story. Shit, it makes for a more compelling and cautionary tale if it shows that someone can fall pretty far down the Dark path without a helping hand from Sheev or one of his apprentices, because with the exception of Barriss, virtually every single other character we see in the movie era who fell down the Dark Path did so via being manipulated by Sheev or someone else who fell to the Dark Side because they were manipulated by Sheev. Maul, Dooku, and Vader became Sith because they were manipulated by Sheev. The Inquisitors were presumably manipulated by Sheev. Ventress and Grievous were manipulated by Dooku, Ezra's been manipulated by Maul. Shit, even Pong Krell who chose the Dark Side fell because of the notion that he could work himself into favor with Dooku or join Sidious's Empire. Again, I think it would make for a more compelling cautionary tale if it displayed that someone could fall to the Dark Side without the manipulation of someone else causing it, enabling it, or turning it to their advantage. Not every piece of evil in Star Wars has to either serve Sheev or trace back to Sheev, and though Sheev is the big bad of the movies the Dark Side should be displayed as a bit more ubiquitous than that.

She doesn't show any remorse and accepts her actions yeah... which is why it makes no sense for her to feel guilty for her actions and try delude herself into thinking Sheev manipulated her into doing it.

And she accepts her actions not without justification for her actions, but because she believes her motives justify her actions.

But shes not going back on her convictions. She's attempting to get vengeance on the man that wiped out the Order. What would merely happen is that once she finds herself in doubt about her true intentions she realizes that her fall wasn't orchestrated by Sheev from the beginning, but by her. And because of her choices she is now in the belly of the beast, serving a Sith under the guise of assassinating him. She realizes that Sheev isn't forcing her to do anything, and that everything that was laid before her were things that she could have resisted or rejected, but she chose to do them under the pretense of maintaining her cover, even though they were unnecessary. In the End she wanted to be Broken and Sheev was all the more willing to oblige.
Why the **** would Barriss want revenge for someone destroying the Jedi Order? She betrayed them, had no problem framing one of her close friends, blamed them for a lot of the Galaxy's problems, and bombed their temple? I sincerely doubt she still feels enough kinship towards them to actually embark on a revenge mission because someone wiped them out.

And she already knows her decisions and fall were orchestrated by her, she doesn't need to delude herself for some out of character reason only to come to that realization in a plot twist because she's already self-aware enough to recognize her responsibility for her own choices.

And you're talking to me about having a shitty taste in SW fiction when you're suggesting rehashing plot lines from the Revan Novel (character who originally fell of their own accord has the story of their fall changed to include the influence of some bigger bad guy and get them to serve the bad guy instead of their own ends just to hype said bad guy up) and Dark Disciple (character infiltrates group to assassinate leader, only to become corrupted by their teachings), two of the shittiest books in SW fiction.

Exactly.

Although this could also fit Quinlan. mmm
Quinlan's even worse since he's already seen the error of his ways and has committed to turning away from that path.

Shit, with Quinlan, I want him to try for some redemption and fight the empire and lose to Vader in a lightsaber duel and die so DarthAnt66 and Antoine can stop bitching about what a supposedly shit duelist Vader is.

You could argue that would be butchering Canon Quinlan just to hype up Vader, but trying for such a redemption actually fits in his story arc... and Dark Disciple really didn't leave much left to butcher after it was finished with Quinlan.

Fated Xtasy
I gtg to bed. But btdubs. I never even read Revan or DD lulz. I was thinking more along the lines of Depa's fall into insanity or Ferus' very brief brush with the Dark Side.

Obviously the person I have in mind for writing a novel for Bariss is Stover. Not Karpshyn or Golden

Also none of those compare to Waru's novel or the Kevin Anderson novel where Kyp and Han go space skiing.

Emperordmb
I gtg to bed. But btdubs. I never even read Revan or DD lulz. I was thinking more along the lines of Depa's fall into insanity or Ferus' very brief brush with the Dark Side.
Yeah figured as much.

Obviously the person I have in mind for writing a novel for Bariss is Stover. Not Karpshyn or Golden

Also none of those compare to Waru's novel or the Kevin Anderson novel where Kyp and Han go space skiing.
Honestly the Waru novel was the one reason why I didn't refer to those to as definitively the worst novels lol

Kurk
honestly Barriss probably an heroed

juggernaut74
Originally posted by carthage

Hard to say, same with Eeth Koth and Quinlan Vos both Jedi who may have survived Order 66/Vader's war on the Jedi I thought Grievous killed Eeth Koth?

juggernaut74

Spot on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.