Team loss???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Teams rarely if ever lose, especially our main power houses like the Avengers and the JLA. Which team has loss to the most to villains? I'm talking about a loss to the point where all of the hero's are down with the villain standing above them victorious. Two teams in question - Avengers and the JLA.

What instances can you think of that fits this?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by carver9
Teams rarely if ever lose, especially our main power houses like the Avengers and the JLA. Which team has loss to the most to villains? I'm talking about a loss to the point where all of the hero's are down with the villain standing above them victorious. Two teams in question - Avengers and the JLA.

None, as the war is over when the last fight is fought all teams prevail over the evil, as far as I remember.

DarkSaint85
Come to think about it, the Avengers seem to have more in fighting lately.

Secret vs Mighty vs New vs Young etc etc.... I mean, JLI don't usually fight against Jla, in big events like the SC war.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by carver9

The Heroes Reborn series is the first to come to mind, a 4 issue mini-series that reintroduced the Avengers and the Fantastic Four after they were apparently destroyed in the Onslaught saga.
The series featured The Avengers and Fantastic Four versus Galactus and all his heralds in a battle for the survival of Earth.

3 out of 4 times the Heroes diedin the confrontations.

It took Doctor Doom, largely separate from the fighting, literally using a time machine to go back in history and helping to change past events, for the heroes to have a chance to survive their 4th and final attempt.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Galactus_(Heroes_Reborn)_(Earth-616)

bluewaterrider
I've heard cycles in popular culture occur roughly every 20 years.
If so, it's very appropriate the Heroes Reborn storyline of the mid 1990s finds a counterpart in the Exitar storyline of the mid teen 2000s.

Look up Uncanny Avengers, roundabout issue #18 until #22 or so.

There you'll find the celestial called Exitar taking the place of Galactus and Kang taking on the role of Dr. Doom.
With perhaps a twist or two ...

I think the answer to your question is the Avengers.

Recall how complete their defeats were in the original Secret Wars, recall how nearly complete they were in the version we saw a year or so ago.

Secret Wars circa 1985, Onslaught Saga 199x, Heroes Reborn circa 1995, Secret Wars 2015, Exitar Saga 2015 ...

These are cases where the Heroes are not only defeated, but usually perish in the struggle, and salvation actually comes from the help of a villain or villains. Original Secret Wars? Klaw and Dr.Doom. Heroes Reborn? Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer (herald of the "Big Bad" Galactus throughout most of the series, not quite the hero most people know him as now). New Secret Wars? Molecule Man. Exitar Saga? Kang, Rogue, and Death Seed Sentry.

With the possible exception of Obsidian Age and Gamemnae, I can't really think of anything DC might have that is comparable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamemnae

Barring the requisite beat downs Amazo periodically gives to every generation of the Justice League, I have to declare Marvel's Avengers the "winners" here, and said "winners" by far.

riv6672
That was cool, BWR. thumb up

staxamillion
funny. Gamemnae was 'exiled at birth for having blonde hair' then they have Aquaman in the royal family. is this now a major point of contention for drama in the atlantean royal house? Just asking I don't read much Aquaman

carver9
Darkseid almost succeeded at accomplishing this. Flash ruined this.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PBbDHZKxbQM/TyJHREYbrYI/AAAAAAAAAqw/RlzyAsio_y0/s1600/2.jpg

Delta1938
Originally posted by staxamillion
funny. Gamemnae was 'exiled at birth for having blonde hair' then they have Aquaman in the royal family. is this now a major point of contention for drama in the atlantean royal house? Just asking I don't read much Aquaman

It was seen as a sign of a curse, Kordax or something like that I think.

Sin I AM
Didnt Ultron wreck the Avengers? Aside from Thanos they generally havent fought many team busters the caliber that the JL face

DarkSaint85
They also have a lot more infighting. Even with the Incursions, when the JLA would knuckle down, they were still squabbling amongst each other.

Contrast Mageddon, for example. The entire world even united behind WW, and that was against a weapon that turned people against each other lol.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
They also have a lot more infighting. Even with the Incursions, when the JLA would knuckle down, they were still squabbling amongst each other.

Contrast Mageddon, for example. The entire world even united behind WW, and that was against a weapon that turned people against each other lol.

Not getting marvels trend to have all these mini hero wars. The villians should band together and wreck shop

riv6672
^^^Old Man Logan style.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.