Midgard Serpent vs Wonder Woman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zopzop
Like the thread title says. Can Diana take him? Standard gear and no outside amps for anyone.

Fight 1 : PreDCNu Diana
Fight 2 : DCNu Diana

JBL
Serpent 10/10 in both.

zopzop
Bump.

Abhi, Carver : (Team WW)
Rage, Celey, Dambo : (Team Asgard)
Where are you guys?!

Khazra Reborn
Are we talking Cul, or the original Serpent?

zopzop
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Are we talking Cul, or the original Serpent?
The one and only! The original :
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xDIN7bl45dg/UjhtvYKTQ6I/AAAAAAAAKt4/iMME7sAjIFk/s640/midgard+serpent.jpg

abhilegend
Serpent probably.

celeyhyga17
Maybe she could subdue him via lasso for a chance?

abhilegend
Possible

zopzop
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Maybe she could subdue him via lasso for a chance?
How would she get the lasso around him? Even in his 'smallest' depiction he stretched for hundreds of MILES. At his correct size, he's so large he coils around the Earth.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by zopzop
How would she get the lasso around him? Even in his 'smallest' depiction he stretched for hundreds of MILES. At his correct size, he's so large he coils around the Earth.
That lasso be stretchin and shiet.

zopzop
That lasso be stretchin and shiet.
What's the longest it's ever stretched on panel? Who's the largest foe she's ever ensnared with it?

So you guys are saying, the lasso is her only hope? If so I agree with you somewhat (assuming she can get it around him). MS's massive size and strength and god killing poison would do her in otherwise no?

Delta1938
What's the longest it's ever stretched on panel? Who's the largest foe she's ever ensnared with it?

So you guys are saying, the lasso is her only hope? If so I agree with you somewhat (assuming she can get it around him). MS's massive size and strength and god killing poison would do her in otherwise no?

Lasso was used to move Earth, but I want to say there was context making it as long as it got.

zopzop
Originally posted by Delta1938
Lasso was used to move Earth, but I want to say there was context making it as long as it got.
Hmmm. So it can extend as long as she needs it to?

DarkSaint85

Yup.

Delta1938

At least at that instance. Not sure if it stayed that way

Sin I AM
Like the thread title says. Can Diana take him? Standard gear and no outside amps for anyone.

Fight 1 : PreDCNu Diana
Fight 2 : DCNu Diana

Serpent in both. She needs more than standard gear

TethAdamTheRock
She cuts it

zopzop
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Yup. Originally posted by Delta1938
At least at that instance. Not sure if it stayed that way
So if it's completely indestructible and can extend to any length, how does she ever lose a fight? Lasso the opponents neck, then pull. Dead.

This seems like spite vs the Midgard Serpent then.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by JBL
Serpent 10/10 in both.

thumb up

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Serpent in both. She needs more than standard gear

Agreed....

Her magic lasso doesnt allow her to beat anyone and she's lost to less than the Serpent...

She absolutely needs an amp of some sort to beat this thing...

zopzop
Hey LoM!
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Agreed....

Her magic lasso doesnt allow her to beat anyone and she's lost to less than the Serpent...
But do her losses involve her 'forgetting' about her indestructible haxx weapon and just meleeing like a moron?

leonidas
if she has all her gear she takes it i think. not an easy match up to call. the serpent is a tough opponent to use in forum matches i think. not many appearances. she deals well with monster-types in general though where she doesn't have to hold back at all. didn't brittle thor beat it in that all-splash-page book?

JBL
Lol at WW beating that serpent. Try reading up on Marvel before gloating for DC. WW would not be able to even move.

zopzop
Originally posted by leonidas
if she has all her gear she takes it i think. not an easy match up to call. the serpent is a tough opponent to use in forum matches i think. not many appearances. she deals well with monster-types in general though where she doesn't have to hold back at all. didn't brittle thor beat it in that all-splash-page book?
But what gear aside from the lasso would save her? Her sword? They would be nothing more than pin prick attacks against the Serpent. It's so large it coils the planet, a normal sized sword, no matter how magical isn't going to do much to it.

That leaves her tiara. Same problem as the sword. Will it cut him? Probably. Will it mean anything to a creature that size? I would think not. It would be less than a paper cut.

For example, the Serpent swallowed Thor and Thor was at death's door because of the Serpent's poisonous fumes. BRB jumped in to save him. He created a pocket of fresh air to get Thor back on his feet and it took the two of them using Mjolnir AND Stormbreaker to cut a SMALL hole just big enough for them to fit through to get out. The hole resealed itself I think.

So it comes down to her physical stats and lasso (which I think gives her the win since it can stretch to any size she needs it to be).

SquallX
So if it's completely indestructible and can extend to any length, how does she ever lose a fight? Lasso the opponents neck, then pull. Dead.

PIS/CIS. What else?

Just like Flash never uses his femto second reaction speed, or Thor never uses any of his Hammer's exotic powers.

leonidas
But what gear aside from the lasso would save her? Her sword? They would be nothing more than pin prick attacks against the Serpent. It's so large it coils the planet, a normal sized sword, no matter how magical isn't going to do much to it.

That leaves her tiara. Same problem as the sword. Will it cut him? Probably. Will it mean anything to a creature that size? I would think not. It would be less than a paper cut.

For example, the Serpent swallowed Thor and Thor was at death's door because of the Serpent's poisonous fumes. BRB jumped in to save him. He created a pocket of fresh air to get Thor back on his feet and it took the two of them using Mjolnir AND Stormbreaker to cut a SMALL hole just big enough for them to fit through to get out. The hole resealed itself I think.

So it comes down to her physical stats and lasso (which I think gives her the win since it can stretch to any size she needs it to be).

she could actually drive the sword into its brain, get inside and carve it up from the inside. it's long, but its head is not THAT huge. she's also immune to poison, though i'll admit to not knowing if it would extend to the serpent's poison. the lasso is an obvious factor.

i agree though, it's her fight to lose. i just think her weapons are better suited to fighting the serpent than thor's blunt weapon.

TheLordofMurder
Hey LoM!

But do her losses involve her 'forgetting' about her indestructible haxx weapon and just meleeing like a moron?

What up zop! smile

Now to answer your question, and I was trying to locate the relevant scan before posting (I am unable to find it), the answer is no...

Bizzaro was able to snap that lasso, so no, her just brawling isnt the only reason she loses...

Keep in mind that the Serpent was able to stalemate a Thor that was going all out that was equipped with his Asgardian Battle Armor and his Belt of Strength...

That version of Thor would eat Diana alive; the Midgard Serpent does the same to her...

Magnon
Wonder Woman wins easily. She only needs to wrap the snake in lasso by using superspeed, and it's game over. The lasso can withstand the weight of the entire Earth and can contain people whose strength far surpasses the weight of a single planet (Superman, Supergirl, etc.). Besides, the enchantments on the lasso also force its victim into submission so that the serpent would cease its struggling in mere moments.

WW 10/10.

spetznaz

How does she ever lose a fight?

1. Because comic book writers are different from forum debaters - their main focus is to write plots that sells comics to make money for their company. This is why you'll see a character like the Flash having issues with Captain Boomerang. Or Thor versus most of his earthbound foes. Or Firestorm on Earth. Etc etc

2. Even with the lasso, there are still quite a number of characters that can defeat her. Some of them easily.

The Midgard Serpent is beyond WW.

panthergod
WW wins easily. Via Lasso or decapitation.

DarkSaint85
What up zop! smile

Now to answer your question, and I was trying to locate the relevant scan before posting (I am unable to find it), the answer is no...

Bizzaro was able to snap that lasso, so no, her just brawling isnt the only reason she loses...

Keep in mind that the Serpent was able to stalemate a Thor that was going all out that was equipped with his Asgardian Battle Armor and his Belt of Strength...

That version of Thor would eat Diana alive; the Midgard Serpent does the same to her...

Alt universe, wasn't it?

JBL
The serpent would laugh at that lasso and murder stomp WW.

zopzop
Originally posted by JBL
The serpent would laugh at that lasso and murder stomp WW.
How? The lasso has only been destroyed once and that was supposedly in an alt reality. In mainstream DC it's never been broken (to my knowledge). Compare this to Mjolnir (the weapon that killed the Serpent), it's been destroyed multiple times in canon stories.

Her lasso can stretch to any size and is completely indestructible. Now add to the fact that she's 100s of times faster than him in combat and flight speed.

Delta1938

'Cuz she's not a bloodluster psychopath? When it comes to fighting heroes or even most villains, she rarely kills unless she feels it's necessary. She doesn't seem to have the same problem with mystical creatures(like when her and Superman were in Asgard for a thousand years, she had no issue killing demons). Whether she'll be able to win or not, I dunno, but she's unlikely to have the same "don't kill" morals against the Midgard Serpent.

How? The lasso has only been destroyed once and that was supposedly in an alt reality. In mainstream DC it's never been broken (to my knowledge). Compare this to Mjolnir (the weapon that killed the Serpent), it's been destroyed multiple times in canon stories.

I've seen the Bizarro incident's canon status argued. I really don't know either way, but regardless it would be one time I'm aware of via physical force. It has been broken another time I'm aware of, but not by force. Something to do with some rule I think was thrown together for that JLA storyline. IIRC it was the incident that was causing "truth is perspective" to become literal, and things like Earth being the center of the universe happened because people believed it at one point.

Stoic
'Cuz she's not a bloodluster psychopath? When it comes to fighting heroes or even most villains, she rarely kills unless she feels it's necessary. She doesn't seem to have the same problem with mystical creatures(like when her and Superman were in Asgard for a thousand years, she had no issue killing demons). Whether she'll be able to win or not, I dunno, but she's unlikely to have the same "don't kill" morals against the Midgard Serpent.

I've seen the Bizarro incident's canon status argued. I really don't know either way, but regardless it would be one time I'm aware of via physical force. It has been broken another time I'm aware of, but not by force. Something to do with some rule I think was thrown together for that JLA storyline. IIRC it was the incident that was causing "truth is perspective" to become literal, and things like Earth being the center of the universe happened because people believed it at one point.

If Diana succeeds in subduing the Midgard Serpent with the lasso she wouldn't kill it. If she kills it after the Serpent became compliant, I believe that she would no longer be worthy of wielding the lasso and it would disappear. At least this is what similarly happened to the Justice Lords version of Diana.

DTM
Didnt it take an armored up, belt of strength wearing, Thor to beat the Serpent, and even that left him a pile of goo.

Wonder Woman to me isnt that level of power.

As for the lasso-win, WW has had the lasso pulled out of her hands by stronger opponents plenty of times, and I think a Serpent the size of the Earth would fit that category pretty easily.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by DTM
Didnt it take an armored up, belt of strength wearing, Thor to beat the Serpent, and even that left him a pile of goo.

Wonder Woman to me isnt that level of power.

As for the lasso-win, WW has had the lasso pulled out of her hands by stronger opponents plenty of times, and I think a Serpent the size of the Earth would fit that category pretty easily.

thumb up

Diana cant win this fight without some sort of amp...

EcstaticGrace

I think the Earth thing in Obsidian Age was a special circumstances, it might have been altered by the Shaman I'll have to look back and check.

EcstaticGrace

It was never shown to move the Earth in Obsidian Age they were struggling hardcore, and losing grip of it.

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by Magnon
Wonder Woman wins easily. She only needs to wrap the snake in lasso by using superspeed, and it's game over. The lasso can withstand the weight of the entire Earth and can contain people whose strength far surpasses the weight of a single planet (Superman, Supergirl, etc.). Besides, the enchantments on the lasso also force its victim into submission so that the serpent would cease its struggling in mere moments.

WW 10/10.

Do you have scans of the lasso making people submit? Cause this sounds interesting given current arguments with people saying she physically restrained God of Strength with it.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by EcstaticGrace
Do you have scans of the lasso making people submit? Cause this sounds interesting given current arguments with people saying she physically restrained God of Strength with it.

Not New 52. Only pre-52 did it have the submission spell on it.

Stoic
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Not New 52. Only pre-52 did it have the submission spell on it.

Well now, that changes a whole lot of things.

zopzop
Originally posted by Stoic
Well now, that changes a whole lot of things.
How? The lasso is still unbreakable and can grow to any size she needs it to.

TheLordofMurder
How? The lasso is still unbreakable and can grow to any size she needs it to.

It can still be snatched from her by a stronger opponent...

Given that the Sepent was still physically stronger than Thor with his Belt of Strength, I think it could definitely duplicate that feat...

DTM
Agree 100% with the above. Anyone who thinks WW is winning this simply by lassoing the Midgard Serpent is fooling themselves.

celeyhyga17
What up zop! smile

Thor did not have his BoS. It was just the armor to keep his brittle bones(Hela's curse) in place.

zopzop
Thor did not have his BoS. It was just the armor to keep his brittle bones(Hela's curse) in place.
Wow. It's not just LoM, I could have sworn Thor had his BoS on during that fight. So MS fought a crippled Thor and still lost?

celeyhyga17
Wow. It's not just LoM, I could have sworn Thor had his BoS on during that fight. So MS fought a crippled Thor and still lost?
Crippled, but it was a high end Thor nonetheless. The fight was pretty crazy. Other than the lasso, I'm not sure that she has the powerset to deal with the Midgard Serpent the way Thor can. Hence why I brought up her lasso in the first place.

DarkSaint85
I haven't seen anyone obey her commands like in pre 52.

Force them to discover the truth? Yes. To see their true selves? Yes. But not obey her like before.

zopzop
Crippled, but it was a high end Thor nonetheless. The fight was pretty crazy. Other than the lasso, I'm not sure that she has the powerset to deal with the Midgard Serpent the way Thor can. Hence why I brought up her lasso in the first place.
She's MUCH MUCH faster than the Serpent. Physically she's a peer to Captain Marvel (DC). She has haxx weapons : magic sword, magic unbreakable infinite(?) length lasso, magic tiara.

She can just dive into his skull with her magic sword and kill him. The reason I dismissed this before was because I was under the assumption that Thor had his BoS and that's why he was able to do so much damage to the MS. But since you said he never had it, this changes everything.

TheLordofMurder
Its been a while since I read the comic, but I'm almost certain that Thor had his Belt of Strength on during this fight with the Serpent...

Yes, his bones were brittle because of Hela's curse, but he couldnt be killed because of her curse as well...

So he was crippled in a way, but the Armor supplimented his durability debuff, and he still had his Belt of Strength doubling his strength...

I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I will post scans when I am able to...

celeyhyga17
He didn't use BoS.

Anyways is this N52 or...

edit.

Nvm..

leonidas
he def didn't have the belt in that splash page battle book. easy enough to google images of that and see for yourself whoever thinks differently. didn't know that was a bone of contention....

TheLordofMurder
Edit.

TheLordofMurder
Ok, I stand corrected; Thor did not wear his Belt of Strength against the Serpent...

Despite that, I still think the Serpent is too strong to be held by Wonder Woman with the lasso...

The Serpent was far stronger than Thor; thus I got to believe that it is much stronger than Wonder Woman as well...

The Sepent should be able to snatch the lasso away from her if she attempts the tactic of attempting to restrain him with it...

zopzop
Ok, I stand corrected; Thor did not wear his Belt of Strength against the Serpent...

Despite that, I still think the Serpent is too strong to be held by Wonder Woman with the lasso...

The Serpent was far stronger than Thor; thus I got to believe that it is much stronger than Wonder Woman as well...

The Sepent should be able to snatch the lasso away from her if she attempts the tactic of attempting to restrain him with it...
Yeah LoM, that no "BoS" thing saddens me sad

What's stopping WW from dive bombing into his skull with her magic sword and making a beeline straight for his brain? He'd be dead. If you think that level of attack isn't in character for her, how about this one : she lassos his mouth shut. Now he's helpless against her. She has so many options.

WW is around Thor level (not exactly but she's a peer) physical stat wise and she has excellent combat reflexes and 3 haxx magical weapons as standard gear.

celeyhyga17
Yeah LoM, that no "BoS" thing saddens me sad

What's stopping WW from dive bombing into his skull with her magic sword and making a beeline straight for his brain? He'd be dead. If you think that level of attack isn't in character for her, how about this one : she lassos his mouth shut. Now he's helpless against her. She has so many options.

WW is around Thor level (not exactly but she's a peer) physical stat wise and she has excellent combat reflexes and 3 haxx magical weapons as standard gear.
Here's the full fight you were referring to.
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-1966/Issue-380?id=8067&readType=1

I think she's more at a disadvantage with her powerset(except her lasso) overall.

Genii96
Serpent wins this

krisblaze

He had the belt for that fight iirc.

JBL
One death strike would kill WW and the entire JLA for that matter.

DarkSaint85
Didn't know the JLA were here. What does it matter?

krisblaze
Upon closer inspection, Thor 378 - 382 I can't find any mention of it.

Thor wears a belt but it looks different.

celeyhyga17
thumb up

It's just his normal belt with a shape of the letter "T" as the buckle.

The BoS has a row of circle studs.

zopzop
Here's the full fight you were referring to.
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-1966/Issue-380?id=8067&readType=1

I think she's more at a disadvantage with her powerset(except her lasso) overall.
Thanks. I recalled bit and pieces of that fight. This isn't looking good for the Serpent TBH.

JBL
Yeah, I can see WW taking that Serpents place and flying head on into Thor as he's one with his hammer. Lol. WW would have Been killed by any hit in that fight.

zopzop
Originally posted by JBL
Yeah, I can see WW taking that Serpents place and flying head on into Thor as he's one with his hammer. Lol. WW would have Been killed by any hit in that fight.
She's taken hits from DC's top heralds and lived. MS had his hands full with a crippled Thor. sad

DarkSaint85
Plus, piercing and blunt force durabilty - for whatever reason - in comics, is usually imbalanced.

Surtur
WW is really good at taking Supermans serpent.

zopzop
Originally posted by Surtur
WW is really good at taking Supermans serpent.
laughing

JBL
She's taken hits from DC's top heralds and lived. MS had his hands full with a crippled Thor. sad Thor tried to cheat death by taking on that serpent at that time of the curse hela put on him. A healthy Thor would have died as decreeded by the fates.WW would never survive that collision between Thor and that serpent.

DTM
I also dont see the damage output that WW brings being comparable to the blunt damage from Thor with Mjolnir together.

zopzop
Originally posted by DTM
I also dont see the damage output that WW brings being comparable to the blunt damage from Thor with Mjolnir together.
I don't either but that's not an issue here. She doesn't have a magical hammer, she's got a magical sword.

Using her FAR superior combat and flight speed, she dive bombs into his skull with her magical sword.

celeyhyga17
I don't either but that's not an issue here. She doesn't have a magical hammer, she's got a magical sword.

Using her FAR superior combat and flight speed, she dive bombs into his skull with her magical sword.
Possibly. It would be tough though. I don't think it would be that easy to stab through. Pierce? I can see that. But stab then push all the way through....? Plus the Serpent has crazy regen. Pre 52 maybe. N52 I doubt. Her swords are weak sauce in N52. The lasso is out though. Ecstatic's scans show it was altered by Manitou's magic.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Midgard Serpent. She doesn't have the raw power to subdue him or put him down. I'm not really sure what a 3 foot really sharp sword is suppose to do against a creature of this size that also is ridiculously tough to damage and has a noticeable healing factor. He's even just as tough on the inside as he is on the out.

The Serpent is ridiculously agile/fast and can really **** her up if he connects.

EcstaticGrace
Yeah looking back at Obsidian Age, Diana suggest her lasso was altered.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.