Darth Maul gets own Comic Mini

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Flyattractor
Anybody looking forward to it?

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Star-Wars-Darth-Maul-1-cover.jpg

UCanShootMyNova
Yeah, I'm excited.

MythLord
He'll die to a padawan. Focus on Mace, or Dooku, or any more obscure Jedi Master for Force's sake. You have this vast plethora of unexplained, unexplored potential(the seige at Malachor, that fvcking Jedi in Obi-Wan and Anakin, those Dathomiri Spirits) you could do anything with and make an interesting story.

At this point, Disney's just milking PT and OT fan favourites.

Deronn_solo
Should be awesome.

|King Joker|
Maul never should've been ressurrected.

Zenwolf
Kind of so so on it.

NewGuy01
Maul should never have been introduced and killed in one movie.

|King Joker|
Goes without saying.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by MythLord
He'll die to a padawan. Focus on Mace, or Dooku, or any more obscure Jedi Master for Force's sake. You have this vast plethora of unexplained, unexplored potential(the seige at Malachor, that fvcking Jedi in Obi-Wan and Anakin, those Dathomiri Spirits) you could do anything with and make an interesting story.

Tbqh, I'm surprised we never really got anything regarding Dooku when he was a Jedi.

Flyattractor
I am interested to see how they will handle all of the Maul Cartoon History and tying it in with new continuity. Plus I have enjoyed all of the SW Marvel Minis with the exception of the Leia one.

darthbane77

hutchy1345

Who was that in Obi-Wan and Anakin?

Galan007
He'll die to a padawan. This series will focus on Maul's backstory -- including his childhood and Sith training.

It actually sounds quite good, tbh... And I am certainly no fan of Maul.

NTJack0
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Tbqh, I'm surprised we never really got anything regarding Dooku when he was a Jedi. I'm not, he's always been rather ignored as a character.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Galan007
This series will focus on Maul's backstory -- including his childhood and Sith training.

It actually sounds quite good, tbh... And I am certainly no fan of Maul. I just hope he isn't portrayed as being in the same tier as a Jedi Padawan.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Maul never should've been ressurrected.
I disagree, I actually liked the direction his arc took in TCW, in the Rebels Season 2 finale (Kanan shit aside), and even somewhat in Season 3 of Rebels, though I'll admit his handling in Season 3 of Rebels is sketchy as shit.

Each of Sidious's apprentices is expertly manipulated in a very different way by Sidious, and the ends of each of their apprenticeships relate in some way to how Sidious manipulated them through how each of them defined their own self-worth.

Anakin largely defines his self worth through his ability to protect and keep the people he cares about, this is something established through his dream to become a Jedi and free all the slaves, and his aspiration to "be THE MOST POWERFUL JEDI EVER!" after losing his mom. Palpatine manipulates the resulting fear of loss to completely corrupt Anakin to the Dark Side into Vader with the promise of giving him the power to save his wife, and Vader's apprenticeship ironically but fittingly ends with him turning back to the light side and killing Sidious to protect his son.

Dooku from the very beginning of his Jedi training as expressed in the Jedi Path defined his self-worth through an elitist sense of superiority to other people, and Sidious corrupted Dooku with the notion of "if people like you and me are truly better and know better than everyone else, then why not rule the masses?" and Dooku's apprenticeship ended with a betrayal that shocked Dooku due to his own arrogant inability to consider the notion that he wasn't of any more importance to Sidious.

With Maul it's quite different, it's not about tendencies that he developed on his own that Sidious then manipulated, it was the fact that Maul was raised by Sidious to define his self-worth through his relation to Sidious. While Sidious's two other apprentices got to develop themselves as characters and then get twisted by Sidious, then dying immediately after the end of their apprenticeships, Maul presents the unique opportunity to do the exact opposite as he's spent his whole life being manipulated by Sidious, having him survive the end of his apprenticeship and see where he develops from there is a very compelling character arc to me because it allows the question to be asked, who is Maul without his worth defining service to Sidious?

That seems a more interesting route than just killing him off, and I believe the direction they took with his return was rather organic, having him descend into complete madness, which makes sense when he's lost his entire purpose for living, then once his mental state is restored redefining his worth which has always been derived from Sidious. As such, it makes sense to me that if Maul is cast aside by Sidious, he's going to internalize some Sidious-esque qualities into himself. He becomes more like Sidious in his return, becoming more verbose, taking the mantle of master, taking on an apprentice, looking more towards the big picture and seeking galactic conquest, becoming much more manipulative, and becoming more enthusiastic in his evil (the latter two qualities I think were fleshed out extremely well in the Season 2 finale of Rebels).

And throughout TCW Maul sought revenge against Kenobi who in his eyes robbed him of his source of self-worth and purpose in life. Upon the end of the clone wars, Maul lost everything from his brother to his mother to his criminal empire, mainly cause Sidious stepped in and ****ed shit up for him. Which brings him to his depressing life state in Rebels where everything that went wrong with Maul's life, he can trace back to losing his place at Sidious's side when Obi-Wan cut him in half, so Maul has all the more reason to seek vengeance in Rebels than he did upon his return in TCW, which makes Rebels a pretty fitting point in time for the two to have their final showdown (which further works because you also have the parallel of Obi-Wan losing everything at the end of the clone wars and living as a weird hermit).

So yeah, bringing him back seemed a little forced given what happened in TPM, and ideally he shouldn't have been killed off to begin with, but I still think continuing his story arc was a better option than just leaving him dead. For those that take issue with the difference in character between TPM Maul and TCW-Rebels Maul... of ****ing course there's a difference in character, the dude had to completely redefine his purpose and meaning in life after completely losing it for ten years. And I think Sam Witwer has done brilliantly with the role. That being said... yeah the Kanan shit was stupid as **** and Rebels is treating his character in a rather goofy way in Season 3, but aside from that everything that has been done with Maul's character feels justified.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by NTJack0
I'm not, he's always been rather ignored as a character.

He got quite abit of stuff, don't think he's really ignored, just his Jedi days.

Beniboybling
I is exicted.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I disagree, I actually liked the direction his arc took in TCW, in the Rebels Season 2 finale (Kanan shit aside), and even somewhat in Season 3 of Rebels, though I'll admit his handling in Season 3 of Rebels is sketchy as shit.

Each of Sidious's apprentices is expertly manipulated in a very different way by Sidious, and the ends of each of their apprenticeships relate in some way to how Sidious manipulated them through how each of them defined their own self-worth.

Anakin largely defines his self worth through his ability to protect and keep the people he cares about, this is something established through his dream to become a Jedi and free all the slaves, and his aspiration to "be THE MOST POWERFUL JEDI EVER!" after losing his mom. Palpatine manipulates the resulting fear of loss to completely corrupt Anakin to the Dark Side into Vader with the promise of giving him the power to save his wife, and Vader's apprenticeship ironically but fittingly ends with him turning back to the light side and killing Sidious to protect his son.

Dooku from the very beginning of his Jedi training as expressed in the Jedi Path defined his self-worth through an elitist sense of superiority to other people, and Sidious corrupted Dooku with the notion of "if people like you and me are truly better and know better than everyone else, then why not rule the masses?" and Dooku's apprenticeship ended with a betrayal that shocked Dooku due to his own arrogant inability to consider the notion that he wasn't of any more importance to Sidious.

With Maul it's quite different, it's not about tendencies that he developed on his own that Sidious then manipulated, it was the fact that Maul was raised by Sidious to define his self-worth through his relation to Sidious. While Sidious's two other apprentices got to develop themselves as characters and then get twisted by Sidious, then dying immediately after the end of their apprenticeships, Maul presents the unique opportunity to do the exact opposite as he's spent his whole life being manipulated by Sidious, having him survive the end of his apprenticeship and see where he develops from there is a very compelling character arc to me because it allows the question to be asked, who is Maul without his worth defining service to Sidious?

That seems a more interesting route than just killing him off, and I believe the direction they took with his return was rather organic, having him descend into complete madness, which makes sense when he's lost his entire purpose for living, then once his mental state is restored redefining his worth which has always been derived from Sidious. As such, it makes sense to me that if Maul is cast aside by Sidious, he's going to internalize some Sidious-esque qualities into himself. He becomes more like Sidious in his return, becoming more verbose, taking the mantle of master, taking on an apprentice, looking more towards the big picture and seeking galactic conquest, becoming much more manipulative, and becoming more enthusiastic in his evil (the latter two qualities I think were fleshed out extremely well in the Season 2 finale of Rebels).

And throughout TCW Maul sought revenge against Kenobi who in his eyes robbed him of his source of self-worth and purpose in life. Upon the end of the clone wars, Maul lost everything from his brother to his mother to his criminal empire, mainly cause Sidious stepped in and ****ed shit up for him. Which brings him to his depressing life state in Rebels where everything that went wrong with Maul's life, he can trace back to losing his place at Sidious's side when Obi-Wan cut him in half, so Maul has all the more reason to seek vengeance in Rebels than he did upon his return in TCW, which makes Rebels a pretty fitting point in time for the two to have their final showdown (which further works because you also have the parallel of Obi-Wan losing everything at the end of the clone wars and living as a weird hermit).

So yeah, bringing him back seemed a little forced given what happened in TPM, and ideally he shouldn't have been killed off to begin with, but I still think continuing his story arc was a better option than just leaving him dead. For those that take issue with the difference in character between TPM Maul and TCW-Rebels Maul... of ****ing course there's a difference in character, the dude had to completely redefine his purpose and meaning in life after completely losing it for ten years. And I think Sam Witwer has done brilliantly with the role. That being said... yeah the Kanan shit was stupid as **** and Rebels is treating his character in a rather goofy way in Season 3, but aside from that everything that has been done with Maul's character feels justified. smile

Rockydonovang

dooku's past is criminally unexplored

Galan007
Darth Maul (1/2):
https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876841_Darth_Maul_001-003.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876862_Darth_Maul_001-004.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876893_Darth_Maul_001-005.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876904_Darth_Maul_001-006.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876915_Darth_Maul_001-007.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876926_Darth_Maul_001-008.jpg

https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876942_Darth_Maul_001-009.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876953_Darth_Maul_001-010.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876969_Darth_Maul_001-011.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876980_Darth_Maul_001-012.jpg

Galan007
Darth Maul (2/2):
https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32876991_Darth_Maul_001-013.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32877040_Darth_Maul_001-014.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32877056_Darth_Maul_001-015.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32877072_Darth_Maul_001-016.jpg

https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32877088_Darth_Maul_001-017.jpg https://s6d6.turboimg.net/t1/32877228_Darth_Maul_001-018.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32877104_Darth_Maul_001-019.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/32877154_Darth_Maul_001-020.jpg

*Solid first issue. thumb up

quanchi112
Any Maul doubters aka Vader supporters will begin kissing Maul's ass. Can't wait to see the hypocrisy.

Petrus
It's pretty mediocre. erm

quanchi112
Originally posted by Petrus
It's pretty mediocre. erm We are not discussing the economy of Mexico we are discussing Maul's prowess, boy.

Zenwolf
If nothing else, it bridges the gap between Canon and Legends further, so people can stop trying to shove the two together. <.<

Anyway this issue was alright, it's 5 issues right? I'm sure it'll be fine altogether.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by quanchi112
We are not discussing the economy of Mexico we are discussing Maul's prowess, boy. laughing out loud thumb up

Petrus
We are not discussing the economy of Mexico we are discussing Maul's prowess, boy.

I know we're not. smile This Maul comic = mediocre.

Btw, Mexico is the USA's 3rd largest trade partner, so I guess your economy greatly depends on mine's mediocrity. smile

Good for you, tho, throwing below-the-belt cheap shots at me for everything I say. I hope that makes feel good with yourself. thumb up

EDIT - and lmao @ you calling me 'boy', like you're 10 years older than me or something. laughing out loud

Galan007
Anyway this issue was alright, it's 5 issues right? I'm sure it'll be fine altogether. thumb up It will be a 5-issue mini.

Whether you're a fan of Maul or not, the stories/adventures should be fun to read either way. Marvel rarely disappoints with their SW titles -- I highly doubt this will be an exception. /shrug

Petrus
I find the content of this first issue quite disappointing and lacking, tbh. I hope the others are better and more interesting.

carthage
First issue sucked ass, hopefully It picks up

quanchi112
I know we're not. smile This Maul comic = mediocre.

Btw, Mexico is the USA's 3rd largest trade partner, so I guess your economy greatly depends on mine's mediocrity. smile

Good for you, tho, throwing below-the-belt cheap shots at me for everything I say. I hope that makes feel good with yourself. thumb up

EDIT - and lmao @ you calling me 'boy', like you're 10 years older than me or something. laughing out loud Your opinion just like your water supply is foul.

You're the poor people we illegally exploit. It's great for us.

I feel better already.

You're such a sensitive girl when you dare attack Maul expect for me to come for you.

Unbowed
So, Maul is already chafing under Sidious' leash, as a true Sith should. Even as an 18 year old he already shows more balls than Dooku and Vader(combined) ever did.

Zenwolf
I find the content of this first issue quite disappointing and lacking, tbh. I hope the others are better and more interesting.

Eh the 1st issue of his 2000 series wasn't all that full of content either.

Rockydonovang
I hope plagueis isn't retconned

Galan007
Eh the 1st issue of his 2000 series wasn't all that full of content either. Exactly.

I'm not exactly sure what some of these people were expecting from the FIRST issue, but it was certainly a solid start -- a bit of story/plot, mixed with a bit of action. Those claiming it 'sucked ass' or whathaveyou must not read many comics, because this issue was FAR from bad. srsly

...They're probably just trolling quanchi, tbh. /shrug

DarthAnt66
The comic was OK. The Jedi feeling cold scene was cool. I wished we saw Maul training with Palpatine. I like the art, though.

Galan007
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I wished we saw Maul training with Palpatine. Same. That's really all I legitimately *want* to see in this series, tbh.

Zenwolf
Edit: Actually now that I re-look, it might have just been the location. Nvrm.

Jmanghan

At this point, Disney's just milking PT and OT fan favourites. I don't think Ezra is gonna be the one to defeat him, thats gonna be Kenobi.

I do think Ezra will be the one to kill him though, just not defeat him.

Raptor22
I thought it was a pretty good first issuse. Like Galan said we got a little story and a little action. We got a taste of him interacting with palpatine, (hopefully with more to come), and i thought the art was very good. Though I did find Mauls inner monologue to be pretty awful.

Petrus
Your opinion just like your water supply is foul.

You're the poor people we illegally exploit. It's great for us.

I feel better already.

You're such a sensitive girl when you dare attack Maul expect for me to come for you.

I don't give a shit if you like my opinion or not, tbh. smile

Good. Keep it up. thumb up

Lmao, triggering your inner hate and aggressively bashing my country and its people because... I don't like Maul. no expression Truly pathetic, man. Acting like a little kid. Not that I'm surprised.

quanchi112
I don't give a shit if you like my opinion or not, tbh. smile

Good. Keep it up. thumb up

Lmao, triggering your inner hate and aggressively bashing my country and its people because... I don't like Maul. no expression Truly pathetic, man. Acting like a little kid. Not that I'm surprised. grow thicker skin. You have no issues with your opinions on trump who I also dislike but expect me to take shots at your pitiful country.

Maul is great unlike your country.

Petrus
grow thicker skin. You have no issues with your opinions on trump who I also dislike but expect me to take shots at your pitiful country.

Maul is great unlike your country.

Thicker skin? Rofl.

I don't give a **** if someone criticizes Mexico, because I know it's a shit country in many aspects. And especially if I know that someone and I can actually have a grown-ass conversation about it, or if he's just messing around, etc.

But you quite simply attack me personally with an ill nature/bad intent because you can't stand my attacks on Maul, a goddamn SW character. U mad?

quanchi112
Thicker skin? Rofl.

I don't give a **** if someone criticizes Mexico, because I know it's a shit country in many aspects. And especially if I know that someone and I can actually have a grown-ass conversation about it, or if he's just messing around, etc.

But you quite simply attack me personally with an ill nature/bad intent because you can't stand my attacks on Maul, a goddamn SW character. U mad? So somehow you attacking Maul is somehow different than me attacking Mexico because you say so. Just stop it. You're a baby and can't take it. I didn't attack you personally I attacked your pitiful country. Get over it. We all know it's a joke so I cannot fathom why a widely accepted fact such as this bothers you.

Petrus
So somehow you attacking Maul is somehow different than me attacking Mexico because you say so.

Are you serious right now? laughing

Yeah ok, let's pretend attacking Maul, a SW character = getting personal by attacking someone's nationality, its people and the country in general with an ill nature because **** logic.

A baby? Dude, you're the one who's getting all riled up about me attacking Maul, so you deflect it like a child by attacking me in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with SW whatsoever. Real mature. thumb up

This is literally what you're doing:

Me: I think this Maul comic was mediocre.
You: Yeah?? Well your country SUCKZ!!11

It might be a joke, but you're doing only to piss me off because you don't like me. And you know there's a big difference between joking around and actually saying things with a bad intent.

Either way, I don't cry about it at all, lol. I just think it's a pathetic, classless and childish way to 'get back at me' for attacking your favourite SW character.

Ursumeles
Quanchi, you are great, just like the Netherlands.

Petrus
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Quanchi, you are great, just like the Netherlands.

thumb up

quanchi112
Are you serious right now? laughing

Yeah ok, let's pretend attacking Maul, a SW character = getting personal by attacking someone's nationality, its people and the country in general with an ill nature because **** logic.

A baby? Dude, you're the one who's getting all riled up about me attacking Maul, so you deflect it like a child by attacking me in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with SW whatsoever. Real mature. thumb up

This is literally what you're doing:

Me: I think this Maul comic was mediocre.
You: Yeah?? Well your country SUCKZ!!11

It might be a joke, but you're doing only to piss me off because you don't like me. And you know there's a big difference between joking around and actually saying things with a bad intent.

Either way, I don't cry about it at all, lol. I just think it's a pathetic, classless and childish way to 'get back at me' for attacking your favourite SW character. It is the same. You aren't the country. Basically you're trying to dictate something you find offensive and telling me what I may or may not find offensive. Thick skin you need acquire it.

Petrus
Sure thing, dude. Whatever you say. thumb up

quanchi112
Sure thing, dude. Whatever you say. thumb up Yw.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.