The Meg (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
http://www.stevealten.com/wp-content/uploads/meg.jpg

A friend at work just told me about this book. Apparently the movie has been in production hell for quite some time. There's an old thread about it Here, but I felt like it needed an update.

Apparently it is finally filming now with Ruby Rose and Jason Statham. I may try to check out the book at some point...

jaden101
It'll struggle to be as legendary as Megashark v Giant Octopus and its related movies.

Impediment
I own the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it but I have my reservations about a live adaptation, even if it's made in a serious tone and manner.

$20 says the shark won't even be an albino like in the book. Just another creative liberty like the majority of the dinosaurs in the Jurassic franchise.

Impediment
1gKYmQZlFXI

Flyattractor
Got the books. First is good others vary greatly, but I won't believe this until I see an OFFICIAL Trailer.

BruceSkywalker
prolly will pass.. sounds like a jaws ripoff

Esau Cairn
Anyone seen Bait?

B-grade Aussie flick.

Tsunami hits a small coastal town.

People trapped inside a flooded supermarket....with tiger sharks.

Flyattractor
Think I saw the Asylum Rip off of it on SyFy.

And no.

I don't count any movie made by the Asylum to be "Official".

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Anyone seen Bait?

B-grade Aussie flick.

Tsunami hits a small coastal town.

People trapped inside a flooded supermarket....with tiger sharks.

Saw it. Actually kind of liked it for its campy fun factor. This sounds a little more along the lines of Jurassic Park, though.

Surtur
Seriously, f*ck Meg, it's about Super Shark:

Rx2cTYCP0Ns

riv6672
Originally posted by Impediment
I own the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it but I have my reservations about a live adaptation, even if it's made in a serious tone and manner.

$20 says the shark won't even be an albino like in the book. Just another creative liberty like the majority of the dinosaurs in the Jurassic franchise.
I thought i was the only one who'd read that book. laughing out loud

Your $20 bet seems a safe one.

Impediment
Originally posted by Surtur

Rx2cTYCP0Ns

Yeah. It's about a 60 foot long prehistoric shark that actually existed.

Awesomeness!

Flyattractor

Awesomeness!

That can crawl around on dry land and fights giant battle tanks.

WHATS NOT TO LOVE!?

Surtur

Awesomeness!

We have a giant bullet proof, fire proof super shark that can also fly and "walk" on land, at one point it leaps out of the water and destroys a fighter jet, and at another point fights a walking tank.

That is pretty much the best shark ever. The super shark could pretty much own an entire sharknado.

More shark movies:

_bbl4hR3L2Y&t

Impediment
Megalodon doesn't do any of that "super shark" nonsense. Just picture a 50-60 foot long great white shark that is albino from years of underwater darkness evolution.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
http://www.stevealten.com/wp-content/uploads/meg.jpg

....Wait... Did they actually put the book out AGAIN, and added to it?

Durn..just durn...

Kazenji
4Wa4hf3K-6U

Impediment
Looks like a lot of cheesy fun!

Flyattractor
I can't SEE them taking the Glowing Shark bit out of the story. It was a pretty big part of the org story. Heck the Book Series tried to make it part of its catch phrase.

BruceSkywalker
im just hoping statham spinkicks the shit outta the shark

Nemesis X
Apparently it is finally filming now with Ruby Rose

OHMYGOSHTHATSSO-

No, it's not a RWBY character fighting the Megaladon!

Awwwww.

Todd1700
Looks about one click above something the SyFy would put out.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
4Wa4hf3K-6U

Wow, it would be nice if they'd tease even the slightest bit of intelligent dialogue in the film. But sounds like it might not have any. That's not a good sign. Odd, because I think the book is pretty beloved.

That being said: a movie about a giant prehistoric shark and (what appears to be) other giant prehistoric sea creatures? **** yes!

Bashar Teg
a human would be barely a morsel for such a giant shark, insufficient caloric intake for all the energy spent in hunting (unless it ate people by the dozen in one feeding, maybe). it would realistcally hunt after whales or other larger game.

BruceSkywalker
whoever sees this please let me know if statham spinkicks the shark

playa1258
Film looks like fun. A bigger version of Deep Blue Sea.

Flyattractor
I want to see this AND the Deep Blue Sea Sequel too!

Impediment
I just hope that the film will have certain scenes from the novel like the opening scene with Tyrannosaurus.

Insane Titan

Tzeentch
For those who've read the book, what explanation can I expect for why the Coast Guard doesn't blow megalodon to pieces 15 minutes into the film?

Impediment
The book is actually pretty intense and intellectual.

This looks like a cheesy popcorn flick like Piranha 3D.

I'm still going to see it, though.

Estacado
I love sharks so I will see this for sure.

BruceSkywalker
The book is actually pretty intense and intellectual.

This looks like a cheesy popcorn flick like Piranha 3D.

I'm still going to see it, though.

let me know if statham spinkicks the shark

TheOneFirestorm
This does have the most advantages of a Megalodon Shark creature feature movie including a feature movie, high budget, great lead actor, etc which is why it could be a great creature feature movie about a Megalodon shark that is eating humans also other animals possibly Killer Whales, Sharks, etc.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Tzeentch
For those who've read the book, what explanation can I expect for why the Coast Guard doesn't blow megalodon to pieces 15 minutes into the film?

The Books don't get really "cheesy" until the really the 3rd book. That is one if FUN cheese thou. The 4 th book gets is Cheese laced with hard core Emo Drama thou.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
The Books don't get really "cheesy" until the really the 3rd book. That is one if FUN cheese thou. The 4 th book gets is Cheese laced with hard core Emo Drama thou.

Would it be possible for you to speak English, please? laughing out loud

Flyattractor

You need to branch out and learn new things.

Kazenji

laughing

and i thought i sometimes have problems with some of my posts.

Flyattractor
I have no probs with my post. All I have is FUN with mine!

Esau Cairn
I want to see this AND the Deep Blue Sea Sequel too!

I gave up after 5 minutes in.

It just reeked of low budget.

Flyattractor
I gave up after 5 minutes in.

It just reeked of low budget.

Low Budget DOES NOT = Low Quality.

You just need to stop being a Movie Snob.

Esau Cairn
For me, there's B-grade cheesiness & then there's low budget cringe worthiness.

Robtard
Yeah, will watch at home. Piranha 3 was fun, getting that vibe from it.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Surtur

Rx2cTYCP0Ns

Faith in humanity officially restored.

This is awesome laughing out loud

Flyattractor
Going to have to re-read the books. Well the first 3 anyway...4th kind of sucks.

Kazenji
Fly can read novels?....amazing.

Esau Cairn
Kaz filling in for Quan?....amazing.

Flyattractor
Kaz and Quan aint the Same person?

...meh

Kazenji
Why would i be Quan?....i don't go chasing young boys on skype

Kaz filling in for Quan?....amazing.

and Stilt gets a free pass from you...erm

Esau Cairn
Kaz and Quan aint the Same person?

...meh

Quazenji.

Impediment

Flyattractor
Sounds like you just have Crappy Friends.

Kazenji
Sounds like a bunch of friends with an elitist thinking.

BruceSkywalker
does statham spinkick the shark?

Patient_Leech
Is no one pumped for this?

Deep Blue Sea on steroids? lol

Flyattractor
This I will be going to see in the Theater.

Estacado
This looks ace!

I love shark movies!

Jmanghan
"Shut up, meg"

Kazenji
So old that joke.

steverules_2

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
"Shut up, meg"
lol! eek!

BruceSkywalker
whoever sees this please let me know if Statham spinkicks the shark

Impediment

Robtard
Same, still getting that cheesey-fun vibe out of it, like Piranha 3-D

roughrider
It's like they admit upfront, no one will ever beat Jaws, so let's just have an old fashioned high concept good time.

Nemesis X
I enjoyed it. 6/10

Flyattractor
Won't get to see it till this next weekend....Spoiler Avoidance Mode ON!

tkitna
Nephew went to see it last night with his girlfriend. He said it was awful.

BruceSkywalker
Does Statham spinkick the shark?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Does Statham spinkick the shark?

I'm a little curious, too, since Bruce brought it up.

Myth
Saw this and found it watchable and better than expected. Probably the 2nd best shark movie I've seen, but that doesn't say much. 5/10

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Myth
Saw this and found it watchable and better than expected. Probably the 2nd best shark movie I've seen, but that doesn't say much. 5/10

but does Statham spinkick the shark?

Kazenji
Been reading from some reviews this movie is stupidly good fun.

Myth
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
but does Statham spinkick the shark?

Not a kick.

Impediment

steverules_2
Statham doing a spin kick on the shark

BruceSkywalker

Estacado
Fun movie.

Coolest scene was where megalodon eats the smaller one

wakkawakkawakka
This move was dumb but the fun kind of dumb.

Jason Statham should do more fun cheesy films like this.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Kazenji
Been reading from some reviews this movie is stupidly good fun.

It is thumb up

BackFire
Saw this a few days ago. Was ok. Decently fun and entertaining. Probably should have been a little shorter.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BackFire
Saw this a few days ago. Was ok. Decently fun and entertaining. Probably should have been a little shorter.

...MMmmmYeah. Pretty Much.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by BackFire
Saw this a few days ago. Was ok. Decently fun and entertaining. Probably should have been a little shorter. agree , was better than I was expecting though.

Esau Cairn
I didn't mind the length of the movie...for once I felt like I got my money's worth out of a movie ticket.

I just wished they used the time to show more of Meg rather than character interaction.

Patient_Leech
I put together a YouTube Movie Review for this film. Saw it at the cheap theater this past weekend...

DmGaUKO_Uu8

NemeBro
Shut up

Flyattractor
I had fun with this movie, but I would have liked to see an more close to the book adaptation.

Patient_Leech
I actually liked the climax where Statham stabbed the beast through to eye. It gave me a good chuckle. You can kind of see how they had to change that from the book. Apparently in the book he is swallowed and cuts the aorta. There were some fun sequences in the film, for sure. But the excessive and poor comic relief kept it from being great, imo. Oh and the stupid scene I mentioned in my video review.

Impediment
The book is leagues better than this film but I enjoyed the campy cheese, nonetheless.

Patient_Leech
The book is leagues better than this film but I enjoyed the campy cheese, nonetheless.

Leagues... I see what you did there, you clever bastard.

Esau Cairn
That's the thing about shark movies...the fact that they don't make a sound. They don't growl or snarl or bark for that matter.

It's a fine line between instilling fear or just looking ridiculous when a creature is literally silent & deadly.

Kudos to a great soundtrack.

Patient_Leech
Apparently the sequel is in early stages, but not actually officially green lit yet...

https://deadline-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/deadline.com/2018/10/the-meg-2-early-development-warner-bros-china-1202492498/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fdeadline.com%2F2018%2F10%2Fthe-meg-2-early-development-warner-bros-china-1202492498%2F

janus77
What really tells you the level at which they're pitching this movie is the monosyllabic contraction they used for the title "Meg".

They expect their audience to struggle to pronounce Megalodon? Or do they think their audience won't know what one of those is? Or both?

Anyway, this kind of crap is best left to tpb. When it's too stupid to waste your money on or you can't get to sleep, download and watch.

Maybe this generation's Anaconda/Snakes on a plane/whatever b-movie drivel you can think of. that features a predatory animal (no, not Bill Clinton!).

Flyattractor
Well this movie was mostly aimed at the Chinese...and you know how much trouble they have at pronouncing Big Words...

janus77
The ultimate shark-fin soup?

I can see the appeal, I guess.

NemeBro
Originally posted by janus77
What really tells you the level at which they're pitching this movie is the monosyllabic contraction they used for the title "Meg". Alternatively, get this, they might have pitched that as the name because Meg is the title of the series it is based on.

janus77
What series? Is it as vapid as the film?

NemeBro
What series? Is it as vapid as the film? Probably. I've read none of the books nor have I seen the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg:_A_Novel_of_Deep_Terror

Flyattractor
What series? Is it as vapid as the film?

The first is def the best. 2nd practically has a bond villain and the 3rd has it centered around a reality tv show, but it is still pretty fun. 4th is pretty shit tho.

Patient_Leech
Pretty cool shit...

Y0SUEOpaAHI

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.