When bias can lead to good arguments.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILS
Just got to thinking. While debating the most boneheaded mother****er ever on Comic Vine (kbroskywalker) I realised something interesting; the fact this guy was simultaneously so bad at debating and so inevitably fixed into one way of thinking, it forced him to constantly make his arguments and attack his opponents from new angles. The sheer plethora of methods he can come up with to carry on an obviously failing battle on his part is at least impressive but probably some kind of legendary feat. So, perhaps logic dictates that the longer he tries, the more likely he is to stumble upon a better argument?

If you're impartial (lol), and don't feel particularly passionate about reaching a certain conclusion (elevating particular characters, establishing certain rules for everyone else to follow in debates), chances are you won't rack your brains thinking of new ways to prove your point. You might do the only sane thing and move on (which soon I'm going to do, but for now you all still have me hooked).

So am I onto something or is this more resident shrink ILS bullshit? I know my prime directive since day 1 has been give Maul the best goddamn case you can while making as few logical blunders as possible, among others, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't cycled out a few shit arguments in favour of better ones along the way. But what about others, or yourself?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Old news, for those with a brain.

NewGuy01
Time and effort can lead to the development of new, good arguments for characters that can instigate interesting discussions. It can also lead to the development of new, completely retarded arguments for characters that are headache-inducing. Case in point for both, Ant.

I don't think a lack of passion necessarily means a lack of consideration, though.

carthage
-Bane dies

ILS
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I don't think a lack of passion necessarily means a lack of consideration, though. Not necessarily, true.

It seems to be a little more useful though.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I'd argue Ellimist is a perfect example of a user who can form excellent arguments for topics/characters he has no interest in.

ILS
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I'd argue Ellimist is a perfect example of a user who can form excellent arguments for topics/characters he has no interest in. I'd counter that he's living proof of this:

Originally posted by ILS
If you're impartial (lol), and don't feel particularly passionate about reaching a certain conclusion (elevating particular characters, establishing certain rules for everyone else to follow in debates), chances are you won't rack your brains thinking of new ways to prove your point. You might do the only sane thing and move on (which soon I'm going to do, but for now you all still have me hooked). Though yeah, he did seem not particularly invested and did make good arguments.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Ellimist hasn't moved on, persay, (In the sense that he's gotten bored/given up). He'll be back soon once life stops being filled with so much work and what not.

Emperordmb
Yeah, the anti-Bane sentiment was the fire that forged me into the monster I am today.

ILS
Ellimist hasn't moved on, persay, (In the sense that he's gotten bored/given up). He'll be back soon once life stops being filled with so much work and what not. But this is work.Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yeah, the anti-Bane sentiment was the fire that forged me into the monster I am today. thumb up

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by ILS
But this is work.

And you're a ****

Deronn_solo
Yeah, it's all trial and error - evolution, sort to speak.

quanchi112
Ils you're still a pretender Maul fan and a coward tbh.

ILS
Originally posted by quanchi112
Ils you're still a pretender Maul fan and a coward tbh. Okay, son.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ILS
Okay, son. Well why don't you prove me wrong. If you really believe in yourself you wouldn't shy away from testing your skills.

ILS
Well why don't you prove me wrong. If you really believe in yourself you wouldn't shy away from testing your skills. You're right. I didn't just spend an unhealthy amount of time today debating on two separate forums. I must try harder. I must reach 100,000 posts like you.

Show me, master.

NewGuy01
I totally forgot how ridiculous Quanchi's post count was. Are these hordes of posts just buried in some ancient crypt in the VF, or do you just post a ton in other forums and I don't notice?

quanchi112
Originally posted by ILS
You're right. I didn't just spend an unhealthy amount of time today debating on two separate forums. I must try harder. I must reach 100,000 posts like you.

Show me, master. It isn't just about the quantity it is also about the quality. It just so happens I have both in spades. I am the Aaron Rodgers of debating. No weaknesses.

Step up to the plate.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1207306/ric-flair-o.gif

ILS
laughing out loud both in fcking spades

quanchi112
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I totally forgot how ridiculous Quanchi's post count was. Are these hordes of posts just buried in some ancient crypt in the VF, or do you just post a ton in other forums and I don't notice? The comic versus forum back in the day was so heated and so busy. 22,000 posts in 11 months. ive went up against everyone at one point. I am the stuff of legend.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ILS
laughing out loud both in fcking spades Lets be about business here. Are you very familiar with the Star Wars original trilogy ?

ILS
Lets be about business here. Are you very familiar with the Star Wars original trilogy ? I dabble in such things, yes.

quanchi112
Originally posted by ILS
I dabble in such things, yes. Ok since you are familiar with the Ot ID say it's fair for you to represent the first three films against the Kelvin timeline trilogy from Star Trek. This will be a massive galactic war under our commands. We can see who is the superior debater and you can have Palpatine's shitty army at your command. What do you say ?

darthbane77
I can't stand Kbro

carthage
Nova saying Traya is Vader tier because she killed Fodder Sith

Nova saying Meetra=Kenobi because she can beat Traya who dodged saber strikes and Darth Sion

Fated Xtasy
How does this stuff even spark an interesting conversation though? Let's face it. The forums are 40% drama, 40% trolling, 19% pissing contests and 1% meaningful discussion and debate. The the only person that I've debated that has ever sparked any meaningful and interesting conversation. Is Joker.

The thing about these forums is most of the times, they're too stubborn and afraid of the idea of being proved wrong. The forums praise someone for essentially doing the text equivalent of a child covering their ears and yelling "lalalallalala."This isn't some Harvard or Yale level debating tactic, this is a child's temper tantrum. The fact is this supposed tactic kills any intellectual thought and discussion. Because facts aren't being presented truthfully at times, sometimes they're manipulated and ripped from context, thus tricking the "jury." and in the rare occasions of LadyKulvax, they're knowingly or unknowingly forging documents that would help them win a case. Instead of a contest of facts, wits and the mind. What it devolves too is not a discussion where both parties want to leave with a new level of respect or admiration for both the character/subject they are debating, but rather it comes down to an obsession with beating and "destroying" them. No facts, just they're personal opinion and that, with all due respect ILS, doesn't cause a riveting discussion, it forces a debate and discussion to come to a grinding halt.

Just how I look at it anyway.

Beniboybling
Old news, for those with a brain. smile thumb up

UCanShootMyNova
Yeah. Finding ways to wank certain feats for characters I like has allowed me to use those arguments that generally apply to all characters to improve my ability to debate any character or specifically characters that share similar feats.

MythLord
ILS' post falls apart when you look at people like Syndicate, Erkan and the likes. They don't adapt; they repeat their arguments and maybe add something new, but it generally stays the same. And they'll never concede. You can only wait them out.

UCanShootMyNova
Arguments don't need to be changed if they fail to be countered.

MythLord
But if they are countered and you just regurgitate them and say: "Herr, I win, you loose!" then they do need a change.

cs_zoltan
There are only ever two things I can agree with Myth. That Shaak is good, and that Syn is a f-uckinging retarded pelican fearing c-unt smile

Beniboybling
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Yeah. Finding ways to wank certain feats for characters I like has allowed me to use those arguments that generally apply to all characters to improve my ability to debate any character or specifically characters that share similar feats. No, you don't count. sad

ILS
Ok since you are familiar with the Ot ID say it's fair for you to represent the first three films against the Kelvin timeline trilogy from Star Trek. This will be a massive galactic war under our commands. We can see who is the superior debater and you can have Palpatine's shitty army at your command. What do you say ? Well since no one else will I'll give it a shot before I get out of here. I wanna get my shit together in other places so we'll do this sometime mid-February. Link me to this Kelvin trilogy on wikipedia.

DarthDuelist9
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
How does this stuff even spark an interesting conversation though? Let's face it. The forums are 40% drama, 40% trolling, 19% pissing contests and 1% meaningful discussion and debate. The the only person that I've debated that has ever sparked any meaningful and interesting conversation. Is Joker.

The thing about these forums is most of the times, they're too stubborn and afraid of the idea of being proved wrong. The forums praise someone for essentially doing the text equivalent of a child covering their ears and yelling "lalalallalala."This isn't some Harvard or Yale level debating tactic, this is a child's temper tantrum. The fact is this supposed tactic kills any intellectual thought and discussion. Because facts aren't being presented truthfully at times, sometimes they're manipulated and ripped from context, thus tricking the "jury." and in the rare occasions of LadyKulvax, they're knowingly or unknowingly forging documents that would help them win a case. Instead of a contest of facts, wits and the mind. What it devolves too is not a discussion where both parties want to leave with a new level of respect or admiration for both the character/subject they are debating, but rather it comes down to an obsession with beating and "destroying" them. No facts, just they're personal opinion and that, with all due respect ILS, doesn't cause a riveting discussion, it forces a debate and discussion to come to a grinding halt.

Just how I look at it anyway.

This.

ILS
You're not wrong in some cases, but 1% is kind of a huge generalisation. That said, with the way things are looking, it may not be long before we truly descend into darkness.

MythLord
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
There are only ever two things I can agree with Myth. That Shaak is good, and that Syn is a f-uckinging retarded pelican fearing c-unt smile

Wut about Kenobi being uber powerful? smile

cs_zoltan
As long as you are in denial about the powergap between Kenobi and Dooku it's only a partial agreement uhuh

MythLord
You mean Dooku ragdolling him? Yes, we can agree on that. smile

cs_zoltan
you are in denial

Rockydonovang
Profound

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by ILS
You're not wrong in some cases, but 1% is kind of a huge generalisation. That said, with the way things are looking, it may not be long before we truly descend into darkness.

ILS. When was the last time a debate didn't devolve into a flame war between two or more people? I understand having thicker skin and shit, but when its just constant shit talk. Then that kinda justifies the "1%" comment. But yeah. This place and CV are going down hill. Not that I care really.

cs_zoltan
Answer your PM instead, curiosity is killing me.

Fated Xtasy
Answer your PM instead, curiosity is killing me.

It was a really bad joke. I said I'm sorry xD

cs_zoltan
BUT I NEED TO UNDERSTAND!!!!

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ILS
You're not wrong in some cases, but 1% is kind of a huge generalisation. That said, with the way things are looking, it may not be long before we truly descend into darkness. looking forward to it, yeah.

ILS
laughing out loud

quanchi112
Originally posted by ILS
Well since no one else will I'll give it a shot before I get out of here. I wanna get my shit together in other places so we'll do this sometime mid-February. Link me to this Kelvin trilogy on wikipedia. Tondemonai is very busy and he said he would but won't be available until the summer. He unlike Ellimist I believed would see this through but I'm just impatient. I don't want to keep putting this off. I'll pm you the link and the specifics.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by MythLord
But if they are countered and you just regurgitate them and say: "Herr, I win, you loose!" then they do need a change.

Agreed.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by Beniboybling
looking forward to it, yeah.
thumb up

Geistalt
Originally posted by ILS
Just got to thinking. While debating the most boneheaded mother****er ever on Comic Vine (kbroskywalker) I realised something interesting; the fact this guy was simultaneously so bad at debating and so inevitably fixed into one way of thinking, it forced him to constantly make his arguments and attack his opponents from new angles. The sheer plethora of methods he can come up with to carry on an obviously failing battle on his part is at least impressive but probably some kind of legendary feat. So, perhaps logic dictates that the longer he tries, the more likely he is to stumble upon a better argument? lolno.

The more willing he is to reject logic to defend his opinion.

Rockydonovang
whats comicvine btw?

Geistalt
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
whats comicvine btw? http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/

Deronn_solo
People should work on their bias arguments on here more than, b/c only a hand full of people here can actually debate.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
People should work on their bias arguments on here more than, b/c only a hand full of people here can actually debate.

Well first there has to be debating.

Deronn_solo
there is no debating here because most people suck at it.

quanchi112
Most people are cowards.

carthage
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yeah, the anti-Bane sentiment was the fire that forged me into the monster I am today.

Someone who deliberately avoids evidence that disproves his fanboy wanking??

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Geistalt
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/
A world awaits

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by ILS
Just got to thinking. While debating the most boneheaded mother****er ever on Comic Vine (kbroskywalker) I realised something interesting; the fact this guy was simultaneously so bad at debating and so inevitably fixed into one way of thinking, it forced him to constantly make his arguments and attack his opponents from new angles. The sheer plethora of methods he can come up with to carry on an obviously failing battle on his part is at least impressive but probably some kind of legendary feat. So, perhaps logic dictates that the longer he tries, the more likely he is to stumble upon a better argument?

If you're impartial (lol), and don't feel particularly passionate about reaching a certain conclusion (elevating particular characters, establishing certain rules for everyone else to follow in debates), chances are you won't rack your brains thinking of new ways to prove your point. You might do the only sane thing and move on (which soon I'm going to do, but for now you all still have me hooked).

So am I onto something or is this more resident shrink ILS bullshit? I know my prime directive since day 1 has been give Maul the best goddamn case you can while making as few logical blunders as possible, among others, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't cycled out a few shit arguments in favour of better ones along the way. But what about others, or yourself?

I think everyone is biased, everyone has some sort of like towards a character, or a distaste for a character, a frustration towards a specific topic, a need to address a controversy - everyone has some of bias in them, but that doesn't give you the right to blow it out of proportion by calling them out on their bias and demonize them. I am biased towards some Star Wars characters and topics - I often get the urge to strongly disagree with someone else's opinion on characters and make a case against their opinion by deconstructing their posts with walls of text and be unbelievably persistent and tireless - but does that mean everyone can call me out on my bias? No. Being biased isn't always bad. In fact, being biased can lead to someone putting in a lot of effort, thought and passion into their argument.

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by carthage
-Bane dies

In Ezra's pants.

Rockydonovang
who's kbro?

MythLord
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
who's kbro?

You sly kunt, you. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.