Rank Superman Among Marvel Heralds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ghostman
Rank Supes among marvels herald level characters.

ghostman

https://media.giphy.com/media/19ijzMia1BaMg/giphy.gif

Prof. T.C McAbe
1. Silver Surfer
2. Thor
3. Hulk
4. Iron Man
5. Superman

I think that Marvel would let all their main Heralds beat Superman just to impress the readers.

JBL
He would rank behind Surfer, Thor, Hyperion and the likes. Marvel has too many Superman like characters to see anything special in Superman.

darthgoober
Marvel's not that stupid. He wouldn't lead the company the way he does in DC, but Supes is a cash cow so there's no way they'd sh*t all over him. It's tough to place him because things are much more up for grabs issue to issue in Marvel, but he'd always be counted among the big dogs like Thor and Hulk.

Sin I AM
Lol at Norrin being top dog when he rarely if ever appears anywhere near marvels elite

-Pr-
Power wise, he'd be alongside Thor and Surfer if they have any sense.

From an actual "in universe" standpoint I don't believe Marvel would know what to do with Superman, so they'd probably misuse him as much as they have the likes of Gladiator and Hyperion in the past. He should at least be in the Avengers though.

Philosophía
For the answer to this thread, see Sentry, before Bendis got a hold of him.

quanchi112
He woul she another Gladiator. Sentry is in another league. Superman can only dream about that level of power.

-Pr-

TethAdamTheRock
1. Gladiator/Hyperion/Sentry
2. Silver Surfer/High End Thor

3. Everyone else

carver9
Originally posted by darthgoober
Marvel's not that stupid. He wouldn't lead the company the way he does in DC, but Supes is a cash cow so there's no way they'd sh*t all over him. It's tough to place him because things are much more up for grabs issue to issue in Marvel, but he'd always be counted among the big dogs like Thor and Hulk.

This.

JBL
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Lol at Norrin being top dog when he rarely if ever appears anywhere near marvels elite He's above Superman. If superman appeared in Marvel, people would say *** oh great,another Hyperion, Blue Marvel type hero** Nothing special or anything to "WOW" at. Surfer comes along and open a blackhole at a football game or blow up the Sun..... Get it?

SquallX

laughing

That was hilarious.

All you have to do is look how Marvel have been treating the male Heroes. From Cap to Tony, from Thor to Bobby, from Sentry to Marvel. Yeah, Marvel's that stupid, and DC's not far behind.

darthgoober
Originally posted by SquallX
laughing

That was hilarious.

All you have to do is look how Marvel have been treating the male Heroes. From Cap to Tony, from Thor to Bobby, from Sentry to Marvel. Yeah, Marvel's that stupid, and DC's not far behind.
Hey they might try to bench him for Supergirl, but my point is that they'd bump him from 1st string to the practice team just cause they can.

darthgoober
Hey they might try to bench him for Supergirl, but my point is that they'd bump him from 1st string to the practice team just cause they can.
"Wouldn't"... WOULDN'T bump him from 1st string to the practice team lol

golem370
He would be come top of the Supermen in Marvel. Imagine if Superman was in Marvel and was in New York when Gladiator fought FF. I would see Thor leaving Avengers and going to Defenders and Superman taking his place.

Supermex
Top 3

In no real order

Silver Surfer
Thor
Superman

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Lol at Norrin being top dog when he rarely if ever appears anywhere near marvels elite

What the hell does that have to do with where he ranks?

riv6672
Originally posted by -Pr-

From an actual "in universe" standpoint I don't believe Marvel would know what to do with Superman, so they'd probably misuse him as much as they have the likes of Gladiator and Hyperion in the past. He should at least be in the Avengers though.
I see him as top 5, power wise.

Hopefully they wouldnt shit on him and make him a Sentry; making him more of a space hero might be a good move. I'd love to see him with the Guardians.

Blue Area Vet
Firmly behind Captain Marvel

riv6672
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Firmly behind Captain Marvel
Thats the BEST way to be behind her.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by riv6672
Thats the BEST way to be behind her.

True. Rather be behind Monica like Brashears, though.

riv6672
You cant go wrong either way!

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
He's above Superman. If superman appeared in Marvel, people would say *** oh great,another Hyperion, Blue Marvel type hero** Nothing special or anything to "WOW" at. Surfer comes along and open a blackhole at a football game or blow up the Sun..... Get it?
Yeah right.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111122896/4291071-1597998-891461_supes_herald_super.png

Are you arguing against Reed Richards now?

quanchi112
We have Superman himself admitting MM is more powerful but you'll ignore that. Also crossovers aren't used or canon, kiddo. Refuted.

Silent Master
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/40658/1687703-vvs3.jpg

abhilegend
Still stated to be the most powerful hero on marvel earth.

How does that makes you feel snake-eyes?

Silent Master
http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/40658/1687730-vvs4.jpg

riv6672
Originally posted by abhilegend

It makes ME feel like laughing at you because..

Originally posted by quanchi112
We have Superman himself admitting MM is more powerful but you'll ignore that. Also crossovers aren't used or canon, kiddo. Refuted.

And i always enjoy a good laugh.

abhilegend
Ah the troll is here.

riv6672
Yes you are, trying to make your usual Super-claims, displaying your willingness to be a hypocrite to do so.
You have RAGED at non canon use. You use it now.
I laugh.

SquallX
2 pages! 2 ****ing pages, that's all it took for the pissing contest to begin.

riv6672
Yeah i wonder what took so long.

carver9

PERHAPS the most powerful hero on either Earth's. PERHAPS. It's like me using Superman statement of Hulk being the most powerful being he has ever fought.

riv6672
^^^and if it was non canon. Like abhi's example.

Better leave this thread before i really do start trolling. stick out tongue

carver9
He would be in the top 5 but I don't think they would have him take Thor or Hulk place in the tiering imo.

quanchi112
Ah the troll is here. You use double standards for Superman all the time. This is another blatant example while ignoring the forum rules as well. You're done.

Blue Area Vet

laughing out loud Abby got busted! I'm sure he'll chalk up MM's words to "hyperbole."

Blue Area Vet
Yeah right.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111122896/4291071-1597998-891461_supes_herald_super.png

Are you arguing against Reed Richards now?

Right. How does one argue with A) crossovers and B) "Perhaps"?

laughing out loud

Blue Area Vet
You use double standards for Superman all the time. This is another blatant example while ignoring the forum rules as well. You're done.

There mods must feel sorry for Abby. I don't know any other reasons why he is allowed to ignore debating protocols time and time again.

celeyhyga17

thumb up

Top 3

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
thumb up

Top 3

He'd be behind those two and Blue Marvel in Marvel.

celeyhyga17
He'd be behind those two and Blue Marvel in Marvel.
Far behind or just behind?

leonidas
laughing out loud

he'd be in the exact same class as ss/thor. behind blue marvel? good lord.... fact is, marvel has no one like him. the history he has literally dwarfs the history of marvel as a whole. i could see them pushing him to the very top initially, then backing off a little bit, but his stature in comic lore would assure him a spot among the arguably most powerful in marvel. at least at first, until they decided to demean his history like they seem to have done with several of their main characters of late. i'm actually amazed that the discussion has gone on this long. imo marvel would kill to have superman in their line-up.

question--do you think if they had a choice they'd bring over superman, or batman? or as things are going now, might they choose wonder woman over both?? (she'd make for a better case of discussion per the stips of this thread--be interesting to see where she'd be ranked).

riv6672
Probably WW. Theyre all up on giving females the spotlight.

CosmicComet
WW would be pushed past Jane Thor if she was in Marvel.

She has Empowerment Seniority.

Kinda like how old WWE stars come back and get put over current stars all the time.

leonidas
i tend to agree with that. it's sort of why i think superman would be ranked so highly at marvel as well.

carver9
Originally posted by leonidas
laughing out loud

he'd be in the exact same class as ss/thor. behind blue marvel? good lord.... fact is, marvel has no one like him. the history he has literally dwarfs the history of marvel as a whole. i could see them pushing him to the very top initially, then backing off a little bit, but his stature in comic lore would assure him a spot among the arguably most powerful in marvel. at least at first, until they decided to demean his history like they seem to have done with several of their main characters of late. i'm actually amazed that the discussion has gone on this long. imo marvel would kill to have superman in their line-up.

question--do you think if they had a choice they'd bring over superman, or batman? or as things are going now, might they choose wonder woman over both?? (she'd make for a better case of discussion per the stips of this thread--be interesting to see where she'd be ranked).

WTF...Leo doesn't make one bit of sense. I would love to know what showings he is talking about that puts him above marvel elites.

Zack M
Numero uno.

quanchi112
Originally posted by carver9
WTF...Leo doesn't make one bit of sense. I would love to know what showings he is talking about that puts him above marvel elites. Leo doesn't ever make any sense.

Magnon
Higher than Thanos, that's for sure.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Magnon
Higher than Thanos, that's for sure. Quit being silly. He'd be a peer to Gladiator. That's it.

carver9
Quit being silly. He'd be a peer to Gladiator. That's it.

Basically. Marvel have books of beings that are Superman-like. 3 Hyperions, Gladiator, Sentry (almost)...hell, I know I'm missing some. The point is, why would they treat him any different than what they've done for people with the same powerset? Doesn't make sense to me.

celeyhyga17
Basically. Marvel have books of beings that are Superman-like. 3 Hyperions, Gladiator, Sentry (almost)...hell, I know I'm missing some. The point is, why would they treat him any different than what they've done for people with the same powerset? Doesn't make sense to me.
Name recognition.
Mindshare.
History.

The Superman IP is like 100x more valuable than all Superman clones in Marvel's roster. And I think I'm being generous.

Then we put his feat history in play...

Easily top 3

riv6672
Name recognition.
Mindshare.
History.

The Superman IP is like 100x more valuable than all Superman clones in Marvel's roster. And I think I'm being generous.
Yeah you are.

While Carver's right on paper (Marvel has many Supermen with the same power set so Supes is just another), there's more to consider, and you hit the highlights.

darthgoober
The reason Marvel has so many Superman clones is because they can't match the success/popularity of the original. As soon as they got Supes they'd do away with virtually all the clones and Supes would fill all their spots only minus the jobbing. He'd def be one of Marvel's premier elites, he just wouldn't be the cornerstone of the company the way he is in DC.

darthgoober
Ironically enough though, Supes himself wouldn't do as well in Marvel as he does in DC, the "style" just isn't right. The reason for Supes's staying power is because deep down, everybody feels like they should be "the one" and DC continually pushes Supes in that role. Marvel would drop the level of his feats to a more reasonable standard and attempt to pass the spotlight around more than DC does so his popularity and sales would drop. That's not to say that he'd totally tank, just that he can't remain as iconic unless he is THE icon or power and Marvel just doesn't do that kind of thing well.

leonidas
well, i for one would assume their style would adjust to the character. their style is different because it needed to be different, and because when marvel started up dc's style was getting old and wasn't as successful as it had been. marvel doesn't have experience with anyone LIKE superman. all their major players appeared almost as a unit or within a few years of each other.

now styles are much closer. i don't think it would be much of a stretch for them to accommodate superman and treat him in a way similar to the way dc does. readers would still be readers, and they would have expectations. it's the readers as much as the company that dictates the way the characters are treated. /shrug

marvel does seem to have less interest lately though in maintaining 'tradition'. that's why i said i think their treatment of him would change over time, but i'd be surprised if they did anything permanent to seriously alter what he is now.

JBL
I think marvel showed it when Venom beat supes azz.lol

Zack M
Originally posted by Magnon
Higher than Thanos, that's for sure.

Thanks is not worthy.

SquallX
WTF...Leo doesn't make one bit of sense. I would love to know what showings he is talking about that puts him above marvel elites.

Playing dumb is just as bad as outright lying, you do know that right?

quanchi112
Originally posted by JBL
I think marvel showed it when Venom beat supes azz.lol laughing out loud

Marvel is the number one company in comics. They don't need any DC characters since they are already kicking their asses.

leonidas
Playing dumb is just as bad as outright lying, you do know that right?

playing dumb? lol yeah, that's what he does..... anyway, he, as is the norm, failed to comprehend what i said, and on top of that, it sounds like he's complaining about a lack of feats for......superman. no expression

laughing out loud but apparently i'm the one not making sense. jeebus. anyway, that post of his is right up abhi's alley but you're right--he knows as well as anyone the feats that superman has. i'd love it if you could refrain from quoting him though, so i don't inadvertently read his complete idiocy. if it's not too much trouble. thumb up

TheLordofMurder
To answer the question asked in the OP, Superman would absolutely be in the top 10 Marvel Heralds...

To suggest anything else would be trolling...

Blue Area Vet
laughing out loud

Marvel is the number one company in comics. They don't need any DC characters since they are already kicking their asses.

That's what these D.C. **** boys can't accept. They act like Marvel owes them something- Marvel doesn't owe them anything accept a decades long ass kicking. Maybe pot to piss in.

Blue Area Vet
Far behind or just behind?

No, not far behind at all. He'd be with Kallark and Hype.

Blue Area Vet
laughing out loud

He's ****ing history in abother comic universe would have shit to do with his ranking. His ranking would be based on his physical prowess demonstrated in Marvel.

Blue Area Vet
The reason Marvel has so many Superman clones is because they can't match the success/popularity of the original. As soon as they got Supes they'd do away with virtually all the clones and Supes would fill all their spots only minus the jobbing. He'd def be one of Marvel's premier elites, he just wouldn't be the cornerstone of the company the way he is in DC.

That is COMPLETELY false. Marvel has never tried create a hero to dominate above others. Gladiator and Hyperion were introduced as VILLAINS.

Blue Area Vet
Quit being silly. He'd be a peer to Gladiator. That's it.

No question

playa1258
Top 3 for sure.

Juntai
Above.

SquallX
That is COMPLETELY false. Marvel has never tried create a hero to dominate above others. Gladiator and Hyperion were introduced as VILLAINS.

You do know the original concept of Superman was as a super villain right? They only later changed it because he was too powerful.

SquallX
playing dumb? lol yeah, that's what he does..... anyway, he, as is the norm, failed to comprehend what i said, and on top of that, it sounds like he's complaining about a lack of feats for......superman. no expression

laughing out loud but apparently i'm the one not making sense. jeebus. anyway, that post of his is right up abhi's alley but you're right--he knows as well as anyone the feats that superman has. i'd love it if you could refrain from quoting him though, so i don't inadvertently read his complete idiocy. if it's not too much trouble. thumb up

I like Carver most of the times, but when he writes shits like that, he needs to be called out on them.

I'll also refrain from quoting him so you're brain won't overload. stick out tongue

leonidas
laughing out loud u da best. thumb up

quanchi112
No question thumb up

darthgoober
I never said that Marvel had tried to push one above all others, in fact I said the opposite. When I said Superman clones I meant the flying brick archtype that are obvously based on Supes. And despite their origins, Glads and Hype are obviously more than simple villains, yet they never really catch on with Marvel's mainstream fans. That's why we keep getting new versions of Hyperion... cause they always end up tanking.

Zack M
BAV is confused. lol

abhilegend
PERHAPS the most powerful hero on either Earth's. PERHAPS. It's like me using Superman statement of Hulk being the most powerful being he has ever fought.
Strongest, not most powerful.

And yes, go ahead and prove Reed Richards wrong.

panthergod
He's the only one who can beat Thanos.

riv6672
Strongest, not most powerful.

And yes, go ahead and prove Reed Richards wrong.
The non canon Reed Richards? No one has to.

leonidas
I never said that Marvel had tried to push one above all others, in fact I said the opposite. When I said Superman clones I meant the flying brick archtype that are obvously based on Supes. And despite their origins, Glads and Hype are obviously more than simple villains, yet they never really catch on with Marvel's mainstream fans. That's why we keep getting new versions of Hyperion... cause they always end up tanking.

thumb up

it's funny that people are so focused on feats in this thread. of course superman over the years has feats to compete with anyone in marvel, but in determining his place would marvel would go far beyond his feats. that anyone would think he wouldn't be among the same tier as marvel's arguably most powerful is pretty unbelievable. they'd be taking superman--not any single version, but the character as a whole. and as a whole, he is still the greatest single comic book character out there imo. THAT is how marvel would see him i think (because so many people out there already see him as that, and those people go FAR beyond comic book fans in general) and so that is how he would be portrayed, at least for the most part. imo.

riv6672
Not 'people'. 'Person'. Read the thread and you'll see how it started

leonidas
lol i suspect i know the PERSON to whom you refer.... forum settings are funny places. people (persons...) tend to forget that "feats" are....pretty meaningless to people in general. almost everyone in the world recognizes the brand that is superman. of those people, what, a tiny fraction maybe, could name some of his 'feats'. they don't care about feats. they care about name.

panthergod
Originally posted by riv6672
The non canon Reed Richards? No one has to.
Prove that nonsense that its not canon.

"Id"
Based on feats. Superman would rank among the top tiers due to his feats. For the same reasons Silver Surfer would earn a high ranking in DC.

But! I strongly disagree that Superman stature in DC would rollover into Marvel. To think so is fundamentally FLAWED. Superman is DC's golden child, because DC invested time, and story arcs to raise Superman to be the go to guy when shit gets real with righteousness.

How the hell would Marvel transition that, when those spots are being occupied by Thor and Captain America?

Thor being the go to guy for heavy shit.
Captain America righteous American super hero.

carver9
Originally posted by "Id"
Based on feats. Superman would rank among the top tiers due to his feats. For the same reasons Silver Surfer would earn a high ranking in DC.

But! I strongly disagree that Superman stature in DC would rollover into Marvel. To think so is fundamentally FLAWED. Superman is DC's golden child, because DC invested time, and story arcs to raise Superman to be the go to guy when shit gets real with righteousness.

How the hell would Marvel transition that, when Marvel has invsted by Hulk and Captain America?

Hulk being the go to guy for heavy shit.
Captain America

thumb up

Agree with this minus a few hiccups.

"Id"
thumb up

Agree with this minus a few hiccups.

Edited. Posting here while at work. almost got caught by the supervisors. Happy Dance

leonidas

How the hell would Marvel transition that, when those spots are being occupied by Thor and Captain America?

Thor being the go to guy for heavy shit.
Captain America righteous American super hero.

i'm legit curious about this. so, recognizing this is purely hypothetical, obviously, but you think that if marvel somehow acquired the rights to superman, that they would actively LESSEN his character? the flaw as i see it in your stance is this: superman isn't just 'big' in dc, like batman isn't, or spiderman for that matter, he is BIG in the comics industry and more importantly, in pop culture as a whole. he is LITERALLY the archetypal superhero, the one EVERYONE knows. ask a billion people to name a superhero and 99.9% will name HIM. for marvel to assume the superman character, then....make him LESS than what he is, would make no sense from...any pov really, certainly not a monetary standpoint. he sells because he is what he is. hell, bryne TRIED 'marvelizing' him, and we all know how well THAT went....

now, in spite of constant misconceptions, i've never said superman would take over the number one spot in marvel, or if he did so initially, they would rein him in somewhat until he settled among the ARGUABLY most powerful heroes they have.

but again, out of curiosity--you stated thor as marvel's go-to-heavy-hitter-guy. when was the last time thor played that role exactly? when was the last cosmic arc that THOR was the decisive factor in? for that matter, when was the last time surfer played the pivotal role in a big arc and ended up saving the day? maybe something very current is happening that i'm unaware of?

marvel's is and has been for a long time, more a flavor-of-the-month approach, so, again, contrary to a lot of what i'm reading, there is absolutely a spot available for someone to assume the role of constant heavy hitter. would superman take that role in marvel? no. i don't think so, because that would take a monumental shift in their overall approach. but he'd definitely be in the rotation of heavy hitter to save the day. at least imo.

on a side note--you looking forward to the netflix series LEGION?? i can't wait tbh.

staxamillion
def looking forward to legion.

I also agree with the flavor of the month routine that Marvel tends to do. that being said I agree with ID.

In DC superman would be the best of the best without question top dog. in marvel he wouldn't be. he would be a top dog probably because of the flavor of the month thing but he will in no way be pinnacle that he is in DC. thus diminished stature

Ambient
He is iconic in the world of comics, so it wouldn't matter what company gets the rights, they wouldn't change how he is portrayed, that is if they want to milk this household name for revenue. So what I'm saying is that he would be rank the same in Marvel as in DC.

quanchi112
Marvel wouldn't adapt DCs flawed strategy. He would just be another hero. Nothing special.

"Id"
i'm legit curious about this. so, recognizing this is purely hypothetical, obviously, but you think that if marvel somehow acquired the rights to superman, that they would actively LESSEN his character? the flaw as i see it in your stance is this: superman isn't just 'big' in dc, like batman isn't, or spiderman for that matter, he is BIG in the comics industry and more importantly, in pop culture as a whole. he is LITERALLY the archetypal superhero, the one EVERYONE knows. ask a billion people to name a superhero and 99.9% will name HIM. for marvel to assume the superman character, then....make him LESS than what he is, would make no sense from...any pov really, certainly not a monetary standpoint. he sells because he is what he is. hell, bryne TRIED 'marvelizing' him, and we all know how well THAT went....

now, in spite of constant misconceptions, i've never said superman would take over the number one spot in marvel, or if he did so initially, they would rein him in somewhat until he settled among the ARGUABLY most powerful heroes they have.

but again, out of curiosity--you stated thor as marvel's go-to-heavy-hitter-guy. when was the last time thor played that role exactly? when was the last cosmic arc that THOR was the decisive factor in? for that matter, when was the last time surfer played the pivotal role in a big arc and ended up saving the day? maybe something very current is happening that i'm unaware of?

marvel's is and has been for a long time, more a flavor-of-the-month approach, so, again, contrary to a lot of what i'm reading, there is absolutely a spot available for someone to assume the role of constant heavy hitter. would superman take that role in marvel? no. i don't think so, because that would take a monumental shift in their overall approach. but he'd definitely be in the rotation of heavy hitter to save the day. at least imo.

on a side note--you looking forward to the netflix series LEGION?? i can't wait tbh.

If Marvel somehow acquired Superman...no his stature from DC will not rollover to Marvel. Of that I am positive. Initially he will have a splash impact for being Superman, with readers closely following how Superman reacts to this new world.

But long term, the way Marvel rolls with their events. No I cant see him written the way DC does it.

Marvel and DC approach big events, and in-house events differently. And you touched on one them "Marvel is more a flavor-of-the-month approach".

How can Superman continue be this Icon, when Marvel favors resolutions to be handled with team effort and/or a plot device?

Yes I feel Thor is the go to guy for heavy shit in Marvel. He may not be written as prominent as Superman. But he was conceived partially as a direct response to introduce something greater than Superman, and what would be greater than a Superman how about a God! Something along those lines by Stan Lee.

No I am not excited about Legion. I will watch it. But I expect nothing.

riv6672
lol i suspect i know the PERSON to whom you refer.... forum settings are funny places. people (persons...) tend to forget that "feats" are....pretty meaningless to people in general. almost everyone in the world recognizes the brand that is superman. of those people, what, a tiny fraction maybe, could name some of his 'feats'. they don't care about feats. they care about name.
Yeah, that person. smile

Agree on your take, though, as far as everyone else is concerned. Really well said. thumb up

Stoic
Used properly, I could see Superman in the top 10 easily. There are a lot of herald level characters in Marvel.

In no particular order, and assuming that villains/anti-heroes can be used.

Sentry, Thor, Hulk, Hyperion, Silver Surfer, Blue Marvel, Stardust, Beta Ray Bill, Starbrand (for now), Dr. Strange, Magneto (under certain writers), King Hyperion, Anti Man, Monica Rambeau, Quasar, Juggernaut, Exodus, Apocalypse, Dark Angel, etc.. Long list, and I've only made mention of a portion of them.

carver9
If Marvel somehow acquired Superman...no his stature from DC will not rollover to Marvel. Of that I am positive. Initially he will have a splash impact for being Superman, with readers closely following how Superman reacts to this new world.

But long term, the way Marvel rolls with their events. No I cant see him written the way DC does it.

Marvel and DC approach big events, and in-house events differently. And you touched on one them "Marvel is more a flavor-of-the-month approach".

How can Superman continue be this Icon, when Marvel favors resolutions to be handled with team effort and/or a plot device?

Yes I feel Thor is the go to guy for heavy shit in Marvel. He may not be written as prominent as Superman. But he was conceived partially as a direct response to introduce something greater than Superman, and what would be greater than a Superman how about a God! Something along those lines by Stan Lee.

No I am not excited about Legion. I will watch it. But I expect nothing.

thumb up

carver9
Originally posted by Stoic
Used properly, I could see Superman in the top 10 easily. There are a lot of herald level characters in Marvel.

In no particular order, and assuming that villains/anti-heroes can be used.

Sentry, Thor, Hulk, Hyperion, Silver Surfer, Blue Marvel, Stardust, Beta Ray Bill, Starbrand (for now), Dr. Strange, Magneto (under certain writers), King Hyperion, Anti Man, Monica Rambeau, Quasar, Juggernaut, Exodus, Apocalypse, Dark Angel, etc.. Long list, and I've only made mention of a portion of them.

The top ones are Thor, Surfer, and Hulk and he isn't taking any of their places in Marvel hierarchy. Ain't happening.

Facee
Top dog. They'd cash in on him. Jackpot ! Marvel wins, game over.

riv6672
The top ones are Thor, Surfer, and Hulk and he isn't taking any of their places in Marvel hierarchy. Ain't happening.
He doesnt need to replace them to stand with them in the top 5. He'd fill a different niche.
But you're right it wouldnt happen.

SquallX

Hulk is a one trick pony, the only ones that matter is Surfer and Thor. There unique base abilities makes Hulk useless as hell.

riv6672
Hulk is a one trick pony, the only ones that matter is Surfer and Thor. There unique base abilities makes Hulk useless as hell.
Any ranking of Marvel (or comics) characters based on pure strength will never exclude Hulk, or oust him from the top spot.
Rankings based on power though, might. Two different things.

This thread's ranking adds another wrinkle though, in that it factors position in the MU hierarchy both in universe and in RL.
Hulk's position in the MU and with both fans and laymen alike isn't going to oust him from the top 5 just because Supes shows up.

carver9

But Marvel consider him as the most powerful being on the planet though. So one trick must not be the case here. Remember, a one trick pony killed Superman by punching him to death. I don't think that comes into play with what we are discussing. Superman will be pretty high in the herald tiering but taking either Thor or Hulk spot, naah.

Surtur
1. God
2. Superman
3. Every other character in existence

quanchi112
Nah. Batman is much bigger in DC these days in superman's own universe. Watch Batman v. superman if you can't figure it out. Look whose name appears first in the title and who wins their fight. It isn't even close these days.

"Id"
Inversely Spider-Man is likely the most popular Marvel character. Spider-Man stature from Marvel would not roll over onto D.C. For similar reasons.

staxamillion
I could honestly see marvel making a story where supes is considered a menace like the last movie and then run with that. I think they would do that type of story a lil bit better IMO. that being said I don't think they would make him the top dog (top ten yes)

Magnon
I don't think Marvel could treat Superman any worse than DC does at the moment. They seem to have lost the very idea of the character.

leonidas

i think this gets pretty overblown tbh. people seem to feel like any time there is trouble in dc, superman swoops in and single-handedly saves the day. that is....a far cry from the truth. he does tend to be more involved in big events than many of marvel's 'big guns do', but practically speaking, he doesn't play much larger of a role in many events than other heroes do in dc.

that said, there is still a PERCEPTION that superman is THE man in dc, no doubt. and those reasons persist because, as i said, he is not just a comic character, but a pop culture icon and that is something dc has to live up to. were he to head to marvel, that status (the world wide status) wouldn't change--it couldn't change, not unless they fundamentally altered him over years. he's literally older by decades than marvel is. that WOULD play a role in how he was viewed and handled by the company. of that I'M positive.

imo if they brought superman into the fold, it would be with the understanding that he would be handled a little differently than others. of course he wouldn't save the day all the time. he doesn't do that now. but, like is often the case now, he'd be on the front lines all the time, and readers would expect him to be--and have the right to expect that, like they do in dc. you seem to be suggesting that marvel would take him only to completely alter what he is. if that's the case why would they bother taking him at all? in this scenario i assume they get him voluntarily. were he FORCED on them, that would be different. actively taking him only to completely change what he represents seems...pretty stupid to me. /shrug

sure that was part of the impetus for thor, but that doesn't have much baring any more--thor is a shadow of what he was at that time and like i said, you can't be the heavy hitter if you never take a frontline role in major events. that's a gap that superman could fill in marvel. even if he wasn't THE most powerful, he could still fill that role. taking him would seem to imply that is what they would be looking for.

grump. i think it looks pretty good and given the other series on netflix i'm kind of excited about it....

Cogito
i think this gets pretty overblown tbh. people seem to feel like any time there is trouble in dc, superman swoops in and single-handedly saves the day. that is....a far cry from the truth. he does tend to be more involved in big events than many of marvel's 'big guns do', but practically speaking, he doesn't play much larger of a role in many events than other heroes do in dc.

Well, yes and no.

Obviously he isn't the central character in all major events, but certainly more than others.

He certainly wasn't the focus of COIE, Zero Hour, Blackest Night, SCW, or Flashpoint. Nor was he the focus of most of Final Crisis. And now that I type that, it feels more like you're right, but I'm going to continue anyways.

He felt more involved in IC because characters like SBP and Alexander Luthor are sort of tied to him.

And then there are the events that were definitely all about the man of steel: Death of Superman (where everyone else was too much of a b*tch to stay conscious), OWAW, and Superman Beyond (certainly the biggest threat in FC, albeit a brief one). Also going for him is that he's the de facto leader of the Justice League, it's usually him facing down the likes of Darkseid, etc.

----

That said, both companies are too entrenched in tradition. Supes would waste away like Sentry or Hyperion in Marvel, never taking a pivotal role.

leonidas
Originally posted by Cogito
Supes would waste away like Sentry or Hyperion in Marvel, never taking a pivotal role.

possible i suppose, but again, given the hypothetical situation of this question, where they voluntarily take him, why would they bother if they were simply going to relegate him to the back burner? makes no sense in the context of the thread. i think power-wise he'd be at or near the top and i think he'd assume a much larger role than that. /shrug

Cogito
possible i suppose, but again, given the hypothetical situation of this question, where they voluntarily take him, why would they bother if they were simply going to relegate him to the back burner? makes no sense in the context of the thread. i think power-wise he'd be at or near the top and i think he'd assume a much larger role than that. /shrug

Meh, OP didn't specify why Marvel would get Superman. Maybe they won a bet and took him for spite?

leonidas
well, that would obviously change things. assuming they took him voluntarily, it makes no real sense to take him, then simply squash him. /shrug

carver9
Besides him being Superman, an icon, what unique factor would he bring to Marvel. Marvel literally have Superman like characters and still rely on Thor and Hulk.

Cogito
Besides him being Superman, an icon, what unique factor would he bring to Marvel. Marvel literally have Superman like characters and still rely on Thor and Hulk. Maybe that explains why the universe gets blown up every other year and they've only had like, one good event in the past 20 years mmm

carver9
Originally posted by Cogito
Maybe that explains why the universe gets blown up every other year and they've only had like, one good event in the past 20 years mmm

Don't get it. That doesn't change what I said. If it was that simple...to just put Superman in that spot to stop the world from blowing up, that's all they had to do was throw Hyperion in that spot. I'm asking, what would he bring to the table that they don't already have?

-Pr-
Besides him being Superman, an icon, what unique factor would he bring to Marvel. Marvel literally have Superman like characters and still rely on Thor and Hulk.

Superman like =/= Superman.

Your lack of understanding of why they don't work in Marvel just shows how little you know of Superman by comparison.

cdtm

Your lack of understanding of why they don't work in Marvel just shows how little you know of Superman by comparison.

Indeed.

riv6672
This is kind of unfair towards Carver. He makes a valid point.
Characters do what the writers want.
If Marvel truly wanted a Supes clone to do the heavy lifting in the MU, it would have happened already.
Aside from BEING Superman, Supes doesnt bring a vastly different power set with him. He brings that power set at a higher level than most, but, the MU isnt DC, where he's automatically the first line of defense.
Different problems, different approaches...he'd be a fine asset but wouldnt be solving every problem.

Insane Titan
Superman would sit in the group with top guys like Hulk , Thor etc and who ever is around at the time. He'd take centre stage when the story calls for it.

Mindship
Top 5 if not top 3. He's got the power + the prestige, the latter not only in real life (something writers should consider IMO) but among the comic heroes themselves. Even Marvel heroes have recognized him for the icon he is (eg, Superman/FF crossover); and writers I feel should incorporate this status into any Marvel stories.

In a nutshell, he could be (or close to being) the inspiration to heroes in Marvel that he is in DC, or that Captain America is in Marvel.

He should not be #1 if just out of respect for Marvel's regular hero pantheon.

leonidas

the words out of my mouth. thumb up

Originally posted by Mindship
Top 5 if not top 3. He's got the power + the prestige, the latter not only in real life (something writers should consider IMO) but among the comic heroes themselves. Even Marvel heroes have recognized him for the icon he is (eg, Superman/FF crossover); and writers I feel should incorporate this status into any Marvel stories.

In a nutshell, he could be (or close to being) the inspiration to heroes in Marvel that he is in DC, or that Captain America is in Marvel.

thumb up. thumb up

Mindship
thumb up. thumb up It was one of your posts that inspired my 2-cents worth. smile

leonidas
whether they agree with me or not, your posts are always reasoned and expressed politely (something i could work on at times...) whatever the reason, glad you chimed in. thumb up

cdtm
Originally posted by Mindship

Well said.

Clearly, he'd be up there, but just like in DC there would be more powerful (Replace many New Gods with Heralds of Galactus, for example.)

abhilegend
Originally posted by cdtm
Well said.

Clearly, he'd be up there, but just like in DC there would be more powerful (Replace many New Gods with Heralds of Galactus, for example.)
No new gods except Darkseid or Highfather level are more powerful than Superman though.

And Heralds of Galactus are certainly not more powerful than him.

quanchi112
Surfer is clearly more powerful than Superman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.