Cool power

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Which character has the most interesting power set up iyo?

riv6672
Jack Hawksmoor's pretty neat.

spetznaz
Originally posted by carver9
Which character has the most interesting power set up iyo?

Interesting - to me Spider-Man. That character is one of the most uniquely interesting, and a brainwave to whoever created it (Steve Dikto I believe, although it's possible Stan Lee took all the credit).

The whole character design, character personality, powers, is just one of the most outstanding in comics. Not the most powerful by any measure, but one of the most interesting.

Mr Miracle is another that I find quite interesting. A power set that is comprised of pure skill and ingenuity (this is why I could never fully like Captain America and Black Panther by the way ...when they started adding SSS that made people throw shields through cars rather than make them the pinnacle of human excellence, or herbs that evolved from human excellence to tracking souls and panther gods). I have always like skill based 'powers' although many characters end up going beyond them (even Batman has evolved beyond that, unfortunately).

As for powers to get - it would be something like the Martian Manhunter set. Strength at an immensely high level, speed at a similar level, force vision, enhanced senses similar somewhat to a Kryptonian's, high level durability, high level telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, shapeshifting, and a genius level intellect (Jjon came up with a way of taking the JLA down way before Batman did).

A very good array of powers that make one basically a walking X-men team.

carver9
Originally posted by spetznaz
Interesting - to me Spider-Man. That character is one of the most uniquely interesting, and a brainwave to whoever created it (Steve Dikto I believe, although it's possible Stan Lee took all the credit).

The whole character design, character personality, powers, is just one of the most outstanding in comics. Not the most powerful by any measure, but one of the most interesting.

Mr Miracle is another that I find quite interesting. A power set that is comprised of pure skill and ingenuity (this is why I could never fully like Captain America and Black Panther by the way ...when they started adding SSS that made people throw shields through cars rather than make them the pinnacle of human excellence, or herbs that evolved from human excellence to tracking souls and panther gods). I have always like skill based 'powers' although many characters end up going beyond them (even Batman has evolved beyond that, unfortunately).

As for powers to get - it would be something like the Martian Manhunter set. Strength at an immensely high level, speed at a similar level, force vision, enhanced senses similar somewhat to a Kryptonian's, high level durability, high level telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, shapeshifting, and a genius level intellect (Jjon came up with a way of taking the JLA down way before Batman did).

A very good array of powers that make one basically a walking X-men team.

I like this post. I agree with Martian Manhunter. I'm glad they are currently writing him as one of the most powerful/deadliest beings in comics.

Mindship
In no particular order, what comes first to mind...

Superman
Wolverine
Spider-Man
Superskrull

Despite Surfer being my #1 fave, I'm not really a fan of open powersets. IMO, those above have excellent powersets for their tiers.

Power Cosmic II
The Darkness

staxamillion
I think zatanna powerset is really cool. its kinda hax but it is interesting. sometimes she needs to use palindromes or other ways to do the spells and I like to see her get in situations she just couldn't 'wish away'.

also Nightcrawler's family's power that connects them to the fire & brimstone dimension is pretty cool. always wondered what pops off over there in the flip side.

riv6672
Guess i took cool power to mean something different.

Spider-man DOES have a cool power setthough i agree. The wall crawling, the web swinging...aside from flying, when i was a kid, Spidey powers were the ones i wanted, especially as i grew up in NYC and could see the actual buildings he chilled on.

spetznaz
Originally posted by Power Cosmic II
The Darkness

Winner

riv6672
Originally posted by riv6672
Guess i took cool power to mean something different.

Spider-man DOES have a cool power setthough i agree. The wall crawling, the web swinging...aside from flying, when i was a kid, Spidey powers were the ones i wanted, especially as i grew up in NYC and could see the actual buildings he chilled on.

Mr. Miracle? Also cool.
The living mask, outrageous color scheme, and the way he flies. Very visually exciting.

DarkSaint85

This. The Authority were all interesting in this day and age, Sparks and Hawksmoor were top. Midnight was also very interesting.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Batman

golem370
Amazo, Helix, Super Adaptoid.

ghostman
silver surfer, no contest. unique, powerful,versatile, flashy AND sexy as well

TethAdamTheRock
Sentry if his powers are explained more

Cogito
Originally posted by ghostman
silver surfer, no contest. unique, powerful,versatile, flashy AND sexy as well

Silver Surfer's power is almost literally anything. I don't know that that qualifies as "interesting" to me, but YMMV. The board is definitely interesting though.

Lots of powers are cliche now because they've existed for decades and we take them for granted, but Green Lanterns must have been pretty interesting back in the day.

Sin I AM
Darwins powers are interesting because you have no idea what you're gonna get. Id turn into a thrill junkie. Deep see diving, playing in traffic, skydiving without a chute. Sick

Galan007
Shade and Plutonian were the first who came to mind.

The Pict
Butterball from The Initiative comics.

Khazra Reborn
Reality warpers like the Mask have always been the most fun to me. Pulling a nuke out of your pocket for the lulz is my kind of thing.

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
This. The Authority were all interesting in this day and age, Sparks and Hawksmoor were top. Midnight was also very interesting.
Interesting, yeah, but on a team of (mostly) JLA expies, Hawksmoor's power set was straight up 'cool'.

DarkSaint85
Interesting, yeah, but on a team of (mostly) JLA expies, Hawksmoor's power set was straight up 'cool'.

thumb up

Especially in this jaded age, where coming up with new powers can be hard.

riv6672
Like sailor's willy after 6 months at sea, yes.

ghostman
Originally posted by Galan007
Shade and Plutonian were the first who came to mind.

the changing man?

riv6672
Shade was pretty cool.

JayDaDon
Iron man. I always liked how the armor was a one stop shop, jack of all trades machine. Like a full body swiss army knife that does each function at a HIGH level.

Agreed on the Spider-man pick.

mighty adam
Green Lantern ring, iron mans genius. versatile. You never really at a disadvantage your could always create a construct or make a armor to get any task done. You can handle any threat to the planet or yourself from solar flares to beating up dumb bricks. Crazy raw power ill take flash powerset for thrills

riv6672
Iron Man's armor has never been cooler than seeing it in that first live action movie.
That was thrilling.

-Pr-
As much as there are cool, versatile powers that I've enjoyed reading about, from a purely visual standpoint, the one that always impressed me the most was what Hank Pym, Atom, Giganta et al can do: Grow and/or shrink. The things you can do with scale and perspective with these powers have always caught my imagination, and I always used to love seeing those shots that directly show just how big/small a character is in comparison to what's around them.

Digi

thumb up

My answers are Jack and Spidey, like several others in this thread. I know flying is more practical, but no one will ever convince me that web-swinging isn't the cooler way to travel.

If we go into cosmics, classic Adam Warlock just because a lot of what he did was so esoteric.

riv6672
Originally posted by -Pr-
As much as there are cool, versatile powers that I've enjoyed reading about, from a purely visual standpoint, the one that always impressed me the most was what Hank Pym, Atom, Giganta et al can do: Grow and/or shrink. The things you can do with scale and perspective with these powers have always caught my imagination, and I always used to love seeing those shots that directly show just how big/small a character is in comparison to what's around them.
Agree.
Those are some of my favorite characters for just those reasons.

celeyhyga17
Black Bolt
Vulcan

wuleecat
Classic Doctor Strange for me. I know it's only magic so it might seem a one-trick pony, but it's a) the coolness of the names of the spells and b) the cool ways that they get illustrated/coloured by artists. Especially when it's in some uber-cosmic showdown with a space-background, and there's all sorts of psychedelic craziness going on. Just pure, exuberant madness in Technicolor.

The costume helps too. Eye of Agamotto sure as hell beats a St Christopher. And who else apart from Strange could rock a red velvet coat when going into battle. Style is a power in itself.

JayDaDon
Iron Man's armor has never been cooler than seeing it in that first live action movie.
That was thrilling.

Not only that, actually HEARING the sounds it made in that scene in Gulmira for the first time was something else entirely.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Mindship
In no particular order, what comes first to mind...

Superman
Wolverine
Spider-Man
Superskrull

Despite Surfer being my #1 fave, I'm not really a fan of open powersets. IMO, those above have excellent powersets for their tiers.

thumb up

My thoughts exactly.

It's much more interesting when somebody with a smaller list of powers uses them creatively, than when somebody pulls a power out of their ass.

I'd also add, for me:

Flash
Animal Man
Dr. Light
Magneto

riv6672
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Not only that, actually HEARING the sounds it made in that scene in Gulmira for the first time was something else entirely.
I hadnt thought of that, you're right! eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.