IMDb is shutting down its long-running, popular message boards after 16 years

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr Will Hatch
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/14501650/imdb-message-boards-shutting-down

This is sad. So many memories.

Is this where the internet is heading? We need spaces where people can troll and get it out of their system. Plus, a lot of obscure movies on IMDb ONLY get discussed via the message boards. Just the other day, I was looking for a movie that only had a handful of reviews, the latest from 2014, but it had a relatively active message board.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I actually JUST starting posted there a week or so ago and rather enjoyed it and now it's going away.

Sucks.

Surtur
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/14501650/imdb-message-boards-shutting-down

This is sad. So many memories.

Is this where the internet is heading? We need spaces where people can troll and get it out of their system. Plus, a lot of obscure movies on IMDb ONLY get discussed via the message boards. Just the other day, I was looking for a movie that only had a handful of reviews, the latest from 2014, but it had a relatively active message board.

Maybe it can be saved, but I think the fans really need to put in the work. If you read between the lines of the reason they give for closing them down..these boards need moderation. There is a whole shitload of people on those forums, and that takes VAST moderation to not turn into a shitshow.

They need dedicated moderation, I'm talking people whose job it is to do nothing but that. 250 million monthly users? Its worth it IMO, pay people to keep this place as respectable as you can.

But then maybe they already do? It has been over a decade since I've been on the IMDB boards. I remember discussing "Donnie Darko" a lot.

Or hell, what about a small one time fee to sign up there? Maybe it would prevent people from going there just to troll. But then it could turn away a lot of people.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, that occurred to me, that the flaming and trolling there just gets out of hand, and it's no doubt escalating with so many crappy, big budget movies.

But the more obscure movies that won't get any discussion anywhere else are kind of nice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.