The Runaways

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
I mentioned it in another thread, but figured I might as well make a new one for it, seeing as it doesn't have one (as far as I am aware). Basically, a show based on the Marvel comic, The Runaways, is in the works, and will be aired on Hulu. The actual Runaways team, as well as members of the Pride, have already been cast:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/810247-marvels-runaways-cast-revealed

http://deadline.com/2017/02/marvels-runaways-kip-pardue-ryan-sands-angel-parker-cast-hulu-pilot-1201907267/

Dreampanther
Nice.

TheVaultDweller
Z6_0dJkjFAM

marwash22
My hopes for this are lower than Trump's approval ratings

TheVaultDweller
The trailers for both this and Cloak & Dagger have been extremely underwhelming. Marvel seems to be floundering a bit on the TV front, with the dismal reception of shows like Inhumans and Iron Fist, The Defenders getting mixed reviews, and now the trailers for the new stuff hardly inspiring confidence. Only thing that still looks promising is The Punisher.

carthage
The Defenders has positive reviews

But yeah they don't look promising

TheVaultDweller
The Defenders did have positive reviews from a lot of places, but it also had plenty of criticism as well. It generally wasn't as well received as DD S1&2, JJ or even LC.

Dreampanther
Started off pretty well, I thought. Spent a bit too much time on the parents for my taste but had to establish them as characters, I suppose, rather than just generic evil parental figures. Hope they focus a bit more on the kids from Ep 4 onward - I got a nice Breakfast Club vibe from them.

Both the writing and directing seemed a step up from Inhumans, at least.

TheVaultDweller
I watched the first episode at a friend's place. Thought it was alright, even if the teen angst vibe got a bit heavy at times. Had enough going for it that I will give it another episode at least.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I watched the first episode at a friend's place. Thought it was alright, even if the teen angst vibe got a bit heavy at times. Had enough going for it that I will give it another episode at least.

Gets a bit better with the teen angst once they start focusing less on Amy's death on more on the freaky shit going on. So far I prefer it to The Gifted where I'd get rid of everyone except Blink and Proudstar and get someone else to direct it.

wakkawakkawakka
I'm kind of surprised to see the somewhat positive reception behind this. Especially since the show is 3 episodes in and the characters still haven't actually "ran away" yet.

That and there isn't any really path to connect with any of the characters as, aside from there parents, they've yet to move beyond the rich LA millennial kids. Even the one mutant in the show doesn't have much to warrant investment as of now IMO.

tkitna
First 3 episodes were awesome in my opinion. I'm hooked.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I'm kind of surprised to see the somewhat positive reception behind this. Especially since the show is 3 episodes in and the characters still haven't actually "ran away" yet.

That and there isn't any really path to connect with any of the characters as, aside from there parents, they've yet to move beyond the rich LA millennial kids. Even the one mutant in the show doesn't have much to warrant investment as of now IMO.

Eh, I personally haven't enjoyed it as much as some others seemed to have, but I thought it was alright. Definitely a step up from Inhumans. My biggest gripe is them focusing on a few things that I don't really give two shits about (like which parents are secretly banging behind their partners' backs). But hey, maybe that thread will have a payoff down the line.

I am curious to see the approach they are going to take with the Staff of One. Seems magic-y so far, but also slightly different to the comics.

I do find the positive critical reception kind of amusing, considering one of the writers on this was also a writer on Iron Fist, and we know what the critics thought of that.

Dreampanther
I do find the positive critical reception kind of amusing, considering one of the writers on this was also a writer on Iron Fist, and we know what the critics thought of that.

Personally, my biggest problem with Iron Fist wasn't the writing: It was the fact they got someone who had never set foot in a dojo to play arguably the greatest martial artist in the Marvelverse and he was so awkward and unconvincing I wanted to skip his fighting scenes - and ffs, if you don't want to watch Iron Fist for the fighting scenes then really, what's the point?

carthage
No thanks to this crap

Surtur
Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.

Well, they are pretty much all in charge of big companies/projects, which gives their kids the rich lifestyle they live. But no, it's more than just run-of-the-mill corrupt business people. They actually went pretty much all in, and even added Old Lace, the genetically engineered dinosaur.

Dr Will Hatch
I'm a huge fan of the comics and therefore was really scared to watch this show because I thought they would fu.ck it up, and it turned out my fears were justified. This show bears almost nothing in common with the comic. For me, this show is just as bad of an adaptation as The Dark Tower movie was for that book series.

Dr Will Hatch

Yeah, they fu.cked up a lot. The parents pose no resemblance to how they were in the comics. The only good one is James Marsters and the guy who plays Alex's dad. The rest suck.

Dreampanther
Ha, TOAA finally made his appearance in The Runaways this week.

Surtur
LOL. I was watching Hulu earlier and this cringeworthy ad came on and I thought it would be for some shitty low budget teen drama with powers hulu was doing...then slowly realized it was a trailer for The Runaways.

At the end of the trailer it was splashing what I assume were meant to be positive reviews at the bottom of the screen. One was "The O.C. with super powers". Yeah, I can't tell if that is meant to attract people or to quietly signal to them not to watch it. I took it as the latter.

The shows looks awful and I do mean looks. I usually don't call out bad special effects, I put up with 10 years of Smallville, but damn...this was just awkward looking.

The show looks like somehow they time travel back to 2006 to film each episode.

samhain
I enjoyed the show, they've gone a bit off from the comics but that might make it interesting down the line.

Surtur
I gave it more of a chance, watched a few eps. So wait, is this show not set in the same universe as the Avengers, Jessica Jones, etc.?

Surtur
The one SJW chick is cringe worthy as f*ck.

samhain
Yeah. she's like a parody of an SJW.

Surtur
Binged it, the effects still looked cheesy throughout. I will say the show isn't as horrible as the Inhumans.

But does it take place in the same universe as the other marvel movies and tv shows?

BackFire
I believe so.

I watched the first episode and couldn't get into it. May give it another go sometime.

samhain
Captain America kind of has a cameo at least once and there are some mini-series' alongside the Young Avengers. Cloak and Dagger show up a couple of times as well. They mention a few times in the comics about how all the superheroes are in NY and they're basically all the west coast has to offer.

Surtur
Originally posted by samhain
Captain America kind of has a cameo at least once and there are some mini-series' alongside the Young Avengers. Cloak and Dagger show up a couple of times as well. They mention a few times in the comics about how all the superheroes are in NY and they're basically all the west coast has to offer.

Oh okay, I didn't see any of the mini series stuff.

TheVaultDweller
I will say the show isn't as horrible as the Inhumans.

I agree that it was better than Inhumans, but that's not saying much. I'd rather dance barefoot on Lego than have to rewatch that crap.

I am genuinely surprised that this got renewed for a second season.

Surtur
I agree that it was better than Inhumans, but that's not saying much. I'd rather dance barefoot on Lego than have to rewatch that crap.

I am genuinely surprised that this got renewed for a second season.

I'm not shocked, mostly cuz I've seen Hulu renew shittier shows.

But if this takes place in the MCU I don't see why they had to make the staff technology instead of magic. Magic exists.

Also doesn't Alex seem redundant? Chase seems to also be a genius, but also useful in a fight.

samhain
Chase is basically a typical jock type in the comics, on the show it's like he has a natural gift in certain areas, Alex comes off as more of a chess player which are usually good characters to watch so I'm hoping they show that off more next season.

samhain
Season 2 out now. Wondering what direction they're going to go considering all the character/story amalgamation they did in season 1 and there isn't even that much back story to delve into anyway, the comic ran for about 4 years or something.

Surtur
Seen a few episodes so far of the new season. Meh, decent. Had me looking forward to the next episodes upon an episodes ending.

BackFire
Watched the first episode of the first season some months back. Didn't care for it.

samhain
Had me looking forward to the next episodes upon an episodes ending.

That's usually the benchmark of a good TV show for me, 24, Lost, The Shield, these were all shows I could literally spend an entire day watching an entire season or two.

TheVaultDweller
I've checked out the first few episodes of S2 so far. Better start than S1 IMO, though Molly is irritating me at the moment. Don't get me wrong. Given her current character arc, I totally get why she is behaving the way she is. But it's still irritating, because I have seen that same attitude get people into a heap of trouble before.

Flyattractor
Yeah when you see those reviews that are all

THIS MOVIE/SHOW IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

reviewd by Joe Blow

They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find it so that means its Crap!

Surtur
"I can't use the same spell twice".

*changes the stations on a radio multiple times with staff*

TheVaultDweller
lol I am halfway through s2 and the Runaways are still weak AF as a team. The only one worth a damn is Nico, and she barely has any real skill with the Staff of One yet. Chase and Karolina's blasts are weak as hell and can barely injure completely normal, un-enhanced people, and Molly has shown decent strength potential, but she still gets tired way too quickly, and her other stats are very lacking. And Old Lace hasn't done anything noteworthy either so far.

Unless Nico gets lucky with the right spell, I could legit see a naked, shield-less, half-dead Captain America solo these guys with one hand tied behind his back. And he'd barely break a sweat doing it.

Surtur
lol I am halfway through s2 and the Runaways are still weak AF as a team. The only one worth a damn is Nico, and she barely has any real skill with the Staff of One yet. Chase and Karolina's blasts are weak as hell and can barely injure completely normal, un-enhanced people, and Molly has shown decent strength potential, but she still gets tired way too quickly, and her other stats are very lacking. And Old Lace hasn't done anything noteworthy either so far.

Unless Nico gets lucky with the right spell, I could legit see a naked, shield-less, half-dead Captain America solo these guys with one hand tied behind his back. And he'd barely break a sweat doing it.

I figured Chase and Karolina hold back the strength of their blasts. Not sure exactly which ep you are on, but we do see Chase's beams are capable of cutting the outer shell of Jonah's spaceship. It's organic yes, but still tough enough to survive re-entry and smashing into the ground from space. Yes the damage he is doing was healing rapidly, but it was just a beam focused in one place, so I doubt it would survive re-entry based on regenerating.

TheVaultDweller
Well, could be that he upgraded them from where I am currently at. He does seem to constantly be tinkering with and trying to improve them.

I admit that is one thing I do like that the writers did. They managed to highlight that both Chase and Alex are highly intelligent, but that their intellectual strengths lie in different areas. Chase excels at the engineering and building side of things whereas Alex seems more adept at the computer and cyber stuff.

TheVaultDweller
Just saw the bit with the ship. The beams did actually seem a lot more focused than previous instances. They were operating like full-on lasers, whereas they usually release less stable concussive blasts. So, maybe he added different settings while he was modifying them. Still hard to quantify due to the weird nature of the ship though. It could have survived crash landing on the planet due to a combination of shapeshifting (like deforming on impact so absorb some of the shock) and regeneration (like repairing damage from re-entry heat as it happens). I mean we see it now. Might have looked a whole lot worse when it arrived.

Darth Thor
At least this wont be shoved aside like the Netflix shows were given Disney is now the majority holder of Hulu after the Disney/Fox merger.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.