Which film do you want to win for Best Picture on Sunday?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jake2TheJakenin
Moonlight

Flyattractor
I have seen none of these movies. I have no desire to see any of these movies.

So I vote for Dredd 2012.

Fudge Hollywood and its Crap Highborw movies.

Surtur
Voted for Hell or High Water. Yes out of all the movies you listed that is the only one I have seen.

Btw, who does 4chan think will take home the prize Jake?!

Impediment
Moved to the MDF.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I have seen none of these movies. I have no desire to see any of these movies.

So I vote for Dredd 2012.

Fudge Hollywood and its Crap Highborw movies.

Grow up. You should see them. They are good movies. Except for Moonlight. I didn't like that one at all.

Only ones I haven't seen yet are La La Land and Hidden Figures. I'll wait until I see them all before I vote here, but I would like to see Hacksaw Ridge win. I would like to see Mel Gibson get either best picture or best director.

But so far I think either Manchester By The Sea or Arrival will win.

And I really think Denzel and Viola deserve awards for Fences. Amazing performances.

jaden101
Arrival might get best cinematography but it won't get best film

BruceSkywalker
Can someone explain to me what is a movie

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden101

Yeah, I think it will win best cinematography.

Surtur
Originally posted by jaden101

Whenever someone mentions this I immediately think of the terrible Charlie Sheen movie with aliens called "The Arrival".

carthage
Hacksaw, Arrival, or Hell or High water all deserve a shot, Moonlight was good for the first half but falls behind the others for me. Nocturnal Animals also legitimately deserved a shot

Surtur
I genuinely feel Hell or High Water has no chance. I don't know why since I haven't seen the other movies.

Dr Will Hatch
It'd be nice if Arrival won, but I can accept La La Land. This is actually a pretty good list this year. All of them were good movies.

Patient_Leech
I've seen them all now and I say Hacksaw Ridge is the best film of 2016.

I hope to god La La Land doesn't win because it was awful.

Kazenji
I've only seen Hacksaw Ridge out of all of those

Originally posted by Patient_Leech

I hope to god La La Land doesn't win because it was awful.

I've heard that from a movie critic, Its the sort of movie Hollywood loves to get its Ego up.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji

I've heard that from a movie critic, Its the sort of movie Hollywood loves to get its Ego up.

Yeah, exactly. It has some good music, so I'd be perfectly fine with it winning best music, but it's a terrible movie. Birdman won a couple years ago and it's a Hollywood masturbation film too, but it was actually a really amazing movie and deserved it.

Surtur
I will say Jeff Bridges is excellent as a grizzled old law enforcement officer.

But then, that's just how he do.

TheVaultDweller
Only one on that list that I have actually seen is Hacksaw Ridge, so I guess I vote for that by default.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
I will say Jeff Bridges is excellent as a grizzled old law enforcement officer.

But then, that's just how he do.

Yeah, I liked Hell or High Water a lot. Jeff Bridges is great in it. Had me cracking up. Chris Pine and Ben Foster are extremely entertaining in it, too.

dynamix
watching it right now and i hope La LA Land does NOT win best picture. i'm on team Arrival!

Patient_Leech
La La Land.

Fu#k the Oscars.

Patient_Leech
Oh, now they're changing it.. Moonlight.

Well that one was just as bad to me. Maybe even worse..

Fu#k the Oscars even more.

carthage
Moonlight has a stellar first act and a good second act when he was a teen adapting to his sexuality and dealing with the pressures of his emerging identity. The films payoff a the end sucked (I mean he goes all the way to mee the dude who jacked him off) to go cry on his shoulder? lmao. For what it's worth the moments with Mahershala Ali were great, the Boys upbringing was well written, and he lady that plays his mom performed well.

But the fact that they only casually bring up his father figure once in the 2nd act almost passively (They mention he died), forced the by to unrealistically forgive his mom for being an addict ****, and gloss over Ali's character and his girlfriend entirely in the 3rd act, on top of the older Male character being mediocre lessened the movies score in comparison to Hell or High water, Nocturnal Animals, Hacksaw Ridge, and Arrival to me for best picture.

It's a good film and the father son moments/his childhood were good to see but let's face it only won best picture because these people are virtually signaling ****s. The fact that that the lead is a gay Black male is icing on the cake for the Lefties that wanted the Awards to play Affirmative action to these types of pressures, Everyone remember #Oscarsowhite. It's a shame because there are tons of African American films in the past that got shafted, but this wins because of the political climate and vehement lobbying from political hacks

playa1258
Nothing but a political win. Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land and Arrival were all better imo.

Patient_Leech
I pretty much agree, carthage.

Over the last few years I got used to films that really deserved the award, films that were damn near perfect, about as close as you can get to perfection. Look at the last few years: Spotlight, Birdman, 12 Years a Slave. All phenomenal films that were extraordinary in their own ways. To me Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures were in that league. Even Arrival and Manchester are in that league. Moonlight absolutely was not, especially with such an anti-climactic third act. With a better third act, maybe, but it was just boring.

Really wish they'd leave politics out of it and pick the most deserving film.

John Murdoch
The Academy died to me when Chris Nolan didn't get Best Director/Picture nom for Inception.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to comment on this year's pics:

- Hacksaw Ridge was my #1 most anticipated movie of 2016. Got busy with personal business and never could see it.
- Really want to see Hell or High Water.
- Prisoners was one of my top films for 2013, and Sicario is tied with Mad Max: Fury Road for my top film of 2015, so anything Denis Vellinueve directs I'll see, that include Arrival.
- Denzel is one of if not my favorite actor, so I'm sure I'd enjoy Fences. Very dialogue/acting driven movie, correct?
- I wouldn't mind seeing Lion, La La Land, or Hidden Figures.
- Agreeing with Carthage above, I'll see Moonlight if it's a film that puts a gay character or gay characters in the heart of a well-made movie (Kiss of the Spider Woman and Philadelphia come to mind for me in this regard. Kiss of the Spider Woman is a masterpiece if I remember it correctly; William Hurt gives the performance of a lifetime). Sadly, it seems it won due to the Oscar-special political stuff: gay minority based on play that was based on real life story. You combine that with good direction and a strong male performance (in this case, Mahershala Ali) = boom, Oscar win.
- I've already seen Revolutionary Road and A Separation, so I'll pass on Manchester by the Sea, AKA Depression 3: The Depressioning.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by John Murdoch
The Academy died to me when Chris Nolan didn't get Best Director/Picture nom for Inception.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to comment on this year's pics:

- Hacksaw Ridge was my #1 most anticipated movie of 2016. Got busy with personal business and never could see it.
- Really want to see Hell or High Water.
- Prisoners was one of my top films for 2013, and Sicario is tied with Mad Max: Fury Road for my top film of 2015, so anything Denis Vellinueve directs I'll see, that include Arrival.
- Denzel is one of if not my favorite actor, so I'm sure I'd enjoy Fences. Very dialogue/acting driven movie, correct?
- I wouldn't mind seeing Lion, La La Land, or Hidden Figures.
- Agreeing with Carthage above, I'll see Moonlight if it's a film that puts a gay character or gay characters in the heart of a well-made movie (Kiss of the Spider Woman and Philadelphia come to mind for me in this regard. Kiss of the Spider Woman is a masterpiece if I remember it correctly; William Hurt gives the performance of a lifetime). Sadly, it seems it won due to the Oscar-special political stuff: gay minority based on play that was based on real life story. You combine that with good direction and a strong male performance (in this case, Mahershala Ali) = boom, Oscar win.
- I've already seen Revolutionary Road and A Separation, so I'll pass on Manchester by the Sea, AKA Depression 3: The Depressioning.

Dude. See Hacksaw Ridge. That was the true Best Picture of 2016

Denzel is amazing in Fences, and yes, it's almost nothing but dialogue. It's a little stage production put on film.

Moonlight sucks. It's just not interesting. The fact that they're gay is really the only point of the movie. You have to ask yourself, "If these characters were heterosexual, would the movie be even remotely interesting?" No, there was honestly no plot whatsoever. And it's not interesting that they're gay, either. Stupid movie.

Hidden Figures is excellent.

Yeah, Manchester By The Sea is extremely depressing, but a very good movie none-the-less.

And wow, if you put Sicario along side Fury Road, I'll have to give Sicario a watch.

Surtur
My question is when is Hollywood going to take on the NBA? Way too many blacks and not enough white folk.

#NBAFinalsSoBlack

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Dude. See Hacksaw Ridge. That was the true Best Picture of 2016

Denzel is amazing in Fences, and yes, it's almost nothing but dialogue. It's a little stage production put on film.

Moonlight sucks. It's just not interesting. The fact that they're gay is really the only point of the movie. You have to ask yourself, "If these characters were heterosexual, would the movie be even remotely interesting?" No, there was honestly no plot whatsoever. And it's not interesting that they're gay, either. Stupid movie.

Hidden Figures is excellent.

Yeah, Manchester By The Sea is extremely depressing, but a very good movie none-the-less.

And wow, if you put Sicario along side Fury Road, I'll have to give Sicario a watch.

Thanks for the rundown, Leech.

Don't kill me if you think I hyped Sicario too much. Fury Road is one of my all-time faves, and Sicario is a very different film compared to it, but Sicario is indeed that good or close to it, IMO.

Surtur
http://i1.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/ed-assets/2017/03/Popular-Vote.jpeg

DellCurry
Hell or High Water

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.