Bright (2017) Netflix original

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Set in a world where mystical creatures live side by side with humans. A human cop is forced to work with an Orc to find a weapon everyone is prepared to kill for.

Directed by David Ayer and written by Ayer and Max Landis. The film stars Will Smith, Joel Edgerton, Noomi Rapace, and Lucy Fry

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5519340/

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2016/11/will-smith-joel-edgerton-start-work-on-cop-movie-bright.jpg

Premise reminds me a little of Alien Nation (1988) which I loved back when it came out and it's aged rather well as it's still a decent SciFi buddy-cop film. So will definitely watch this when Netflix releases later this year.

Firefly218
I'm genuinely excited for this

Flyattractor
Been there. Seen it. Full of Meh.

Robtard
Originally posted by Firefly218
I'm genuinely excited for this

Yeah, same. Smith isn't a favorite of mine, though I do often enjoy his films regardless. Ayer is a good director/writer, despite a few misses, imo.

Patient_Leech
Saw this trailer during the Oscars and it looked cool. And I didn't even realize Noomi Rapace was in it... hell yeah.

ares834
Sounds fun.

BruceSkywalker
prolly will pass unless convinced otherwise

Robtard
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
prolly will pass unless convinced otherwise

I'll convince the shit out of you, Bruceo!

jaden101
Reminds me of Alien Nation.

Surtur
Sounds interesting, but I like netflix so I hope what they are doing doesn't backfire. I only say it because they are shelling out big money for big names in their films. I heard they are paying $100 million for a Martin Scorcese film called "The Irishman". Though I'll admit I'm much more confident on that film finding success.

quanchi112
More fantasy is a good thing.

Patient_Leech
Just watched the teaser again and it looks like it could be really cool. I did recognize Noomi this time.

And hopefully Ayer will have better control over there on Netflix and this won't suck like Suicide Squad.

playa1258
This shows how big Netflix is getting.

Surtur
The future is online. It's just annoying to go out to the theater these days. Over priced food, you can't pause it if you have to get up to go to the bathroom, etc.

Why do you think some theaters are selling booze now? Anything to keep up.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
Why do you think some theaters are selling booze now? Anything to keep up.

And fancier seats. All the theaters in my city have upgraded to big, spacious, recliners with assigned seating, which is actually kind of annoying if you want to meet a friend and not have the seats sell out.

playa1258
The future is online. It's just annoying to go out to the theater these days. Over priced food, you can't pause it if you have to get up to go to the bathroom, etc.

Why do you think some theaters are selling booze now? Anything to keep up. Which has studios worrying.

Patient_Leech
Was recently reminded of this. Not sure what the ****, but I'm intrigued...

NWDeye-vDLE

John Murdoch
When does this release on everyone's favorite streaming service?

Robtard
Poster had a Dec 22nd date, so unless it's been changed, that.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTcyNzk5NDg1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM5MDQxNDM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Patient_Leech
^ Tomorrow.

If I get a chance I might check this out pretty soon.

Robtard
I'm watching it tomorrow.

CPT Space Bomb
I'm definitely on the "meh" train on this one....hopefully I'm wrong.

Patient_Leech
^ Let me know how big it makes your dick on a scale of 0-10, Rob.

BackFire
Reviews are pretty bad.

Will still watch it because it's on Netflix so why the **** not.

BruceSkywalker
let me know if i should watch

jaden101
Really getting slaughtered in reviews now. Some even saying the worst movie of the year.

carthage
Compared to the Mummy I doubt that, lol

jaden101
"Bright is a terrible movie. Please don't watch it" - Forbes

"Astoundingly bad is virtually every way" - Time

"A colossal waste" - Vox

"Worst movie of 2017" - Indiewire

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is one of those examples where the critics react totally at odds with the audiences.

marwash22
Originally posted by jaden101
"Please don't watch it" - Forbes that's unprofessional and seemingly vindictive.

Im not a professional critic, so i can say this looks like trash... i'll check it out but i have no expectations.

BackFire
It wasn't that bad.

But it was pretty bad.

Patient_Leech
I watched it.

It's laughable at times, but I can't say it's not entertaining.

It's Lord of the Rings meets Underworld with the Oscar award winning makeup and styling of Suicide Squad, lol. There's even a "Fifth Element" character. Yes, the film is retarded, but it's more in retrospect after it's over. It's got some of the dumbest dialogue I have ever heard in a film. I guess they were going for sort of a Pulp Fiction thing, but it didn't work at all. On the plus side it's sort of fun seeing Will Smith being himself again.

And worst of all Noomi Rapace seemed wasted. She looked cool, though, like she belonged in an Underworld movie. She must have some Netflix contract, because otherwise I can't see how she would agree to do this. Lol.

I LOL'd pretty hard at the Orc on the Joe Rogan show.. laughing out loud

steverules_2
Sort of entertaining but seemed like an incomplete film and just didn't care about any of the characters, it did have a bit of LOTR vibe but yeah disappointing

Patient_Leech
Noomi. Underused in this film.

https://img.youtube.com/vi/MlUYiT4mkIY/0.jpg

You can see she looks like she belongs in an Underworld film...

http://www.noomi-rapace.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Image5.jpg

She's hot, but she's not quite as hot as Kate Beckinsale. She's damn hard to beat...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7d/73/cd/7d73cd808e6cb63ed504c2eb42e7be30--hot-lingerie-kate-beckinsale-lingerie.jpg

Surtur
Her butt crack looks f*cking weird.

steverules_2

Darth Thor
Well I enjoyed it. No master piece but the best Will Smith film in a while.

Surtur
I'll say this about it: it's better than After Earth.

John Murdoch
Thoroughly enjoyed this: very entertaining world that Landis put together.

Dragged a little once the orcs found the heroes though. Interesting that our main protagonist Ward, a man that was apathetic towards magic - anti-magic even, turned out to be a bright.

I've liked all of David Ayer's films...to an extent (looking at you Sabotage and Suicide Squad); I'd put this well below End of Watch and Fury, but well above Sabotage and SS.

steverules_2
I'll say this about it: it's better than After Earth.

The room is better than after earth

juggerman
Damn. I was looking forward to this movie too

Patient_Leech
This film is goofy because they didn't really explain or explore the world effectively. Maybe if they had made it into a three-part mini-series or something they could have done it justice...

...and if they got rid of some of that awful dialogue at the beginning. That was some major cringe.

Patient_Leech
Ok, sequels could explore and explain more about this world...

https://www.slashgear.com/sequel-to-netflixs-bright-already-in-the-works-23512798/

quanchi112
Has potential but was lackluster. Hopefully I get to see more of this world as it may improve.

jaden101
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This film is goofy because they didn't really explain or explore the world effectively. Maybe if they had made it into a three-part mini-series or something they could have done it justice...

...and if they got rid of some of that awful dialogue at the beginning. That was some major cringe.

Could probably use with the same treatment as Alien Nation and Stargate. Give it a series. Definitely has potential and would be ashame to see it wasted.

Robtard
It was not very good, but also not awful/worse than cancer as some are making it. Had an Alien Nation vibe to it and I liked that part, but it was poorly fleshed out, you just didn't really care about any of the characters.

As some others said, would have potential as a mini series or a series.

Robtard
Her butt crack looks f*cking weird.

You're just used to seeing men's butt cracks...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard

thumb up

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard

Projecting again I see.

Originally posted by jaden101
Could probably use with the same treatment as Alien Nation and Stargate. Give it a series. Definitely has potential and would be ashame to see it wasted.

I'm still pissed they canceled Stargate Universe.

Patient_Leech
Projecting again I see.

You are the only one projecting your penis towards men's asses.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Dr Will Hatch
I still have to see this but I am curious to see what a Frankensteinian abomination it is. I've heard that it rips off Alien Nation a bit, just swapping out aliens for orcs.

juggerman
I'm so glad that this got bashed as much as it did. I went with ZERO expectations and actually ended up enjoying it for the most part. It was long and dragged in a few places but I didn't find it to be terrible.

The universe is very interesting and I would like to have gotten more history and lore

Surtur
You are the only one projecting your penis towards men's asses.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

You can't prove that in court.

relentless1
k so is this supposed to be Middle Earth in our present day or some shit? Cuz Landis is treading dangerously close to some copyright infringement here lol

Khazra Reborn
Pretty good movie, best thing Will Smith has been in since like... MIB, or Independance Day, lol.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by relentless1
k so is this supposed to be Middle Earth in our present day or some shit? Cuz Landis is treading dangerously close to some copyright infringement here lol I think so.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Pretty good movie, best thing Will Smith has been in since like... MIB, or Independance Day, lol.

Seven Pounds??????

Surtur
Makes me kinda wish that CSI show, but with magic got picked up.

Patient_Leech
Well, here is a mini featurette which probably belonged in the film somehow. It explains some of the lore, but it really just sounds rushed and goofy to me.

PRRoAZcwQMY

Source: TheVerge

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Seven Pounds??????

Never seen it.

John Murdoch
Never seen it.

I was just half-joking: Smith's performance is great, but the movie is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Still pretty good, but certainly not at the level of your picks.

Pursuit of Happyness is still Smith's finest hour tho, IMO.

Mindset
Never seen it. Hancock was good.

SquallX
Bright was a solid flick. I gave it a 8/10.

The main cast was brilliant. Ward and Jakoby interaction was pretty strong, they completed each other. We even see that Ward was the same way Jakoby is now, and Jakoby wants to be like Ward.

The plot had its weak points, the biggest being Leila given by her wand away to a surbodinate just to kill her little sister. When we learned from the beginning, the wand allows you to travel back in time.

I wanted the Dark Lord to be more fleshed out. We barely knew anything about him, and why he did what he did. Same think with Jirak, the unblooded orc. I also was curious about the order the homeless guy was in, and the Elf from the Feds played by Edgar.

I think this movie should have been a 10 episodes mini, instead of a 2hr long flick. The Bright world had so much to be explore.

quanchi112
8/10

laughing out loud

SquallX
Originally posted by relentless1
k so is this supposed to be Middle Earth in our present day or some shit? Cuz Landis is treading dangerously close to some copyright infringement here lol

Am actually curious why you think so?

SquallX

quanchi112

Dr Will Hatch
So I saw Bright, and it's really not that bad.

It's not GOOD mind you, but it's not bad. It's one of those kinds of movies that you can enjoy and appreciate if you just turn your brain off. which isn't that different from two of David Ayers's other films Suicide Squad or Sabotage, actually.

The premise, of a high fantasy Tolkien world like Lord of the Rings that takes place in the modern day, is admittedly very intriguing and ripe for good stories to tell, and for all of Bright's weaknesses, the setting is just so unique that it offsets most of those weaknesses. I hope more movies or a TV series are made about this universe, because I would watch them. There's definitely an Alien Nation vibe to it, but it's different enough to distinguish itself from claims of plagiarism.

When this came out, I read that it was in contention for being one of the worst movies of the year, and it's nowhere close to being the world. Hell, it's nowhere close to being the worst movie this MONTH.

Surtur
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
So I saw Bright, and it's really not that bad.

It's not GOOD mind you, but it's not bad. It's one of those kinds of movies that you can enjoy and appreciate if you just turn your brain off. which isn't that different from two of David Ayers's other films Suicide Squad or Sabotage, actually.

The premise, of a high fantasy Tolkien world like Lord of the Rings that takes place in the modern day, is admittedly very intriguing and ripe for good stories to tell, and for all of Bright's weaknesses, the setting is just so unique that it offsets most of those weaknesses. I hope more movies or a TV series are made about this universe, because I would watch them. There's definitely an Alien Nation vibe to it, but it's different enough to distinguish itself from claims of plagiarism.

When this came out, I read that it was in contention for being one of the worst movies of the year, and it's nowhere close to being the world. Hell, it's nowhere close to being the worst movie this MONTH.

I just laughed at the "fairy lives don't matter!" scene. I imagine the person who wrote this smugly sitting back in their chair and thinking "indeed, this is awesome commentary on the country".

tkitna
I couldn't get through it. I'll have to get back to it maybe tomorrow. I think it sucks so far.

Patient_Leech
I just laughed at the "fairy lives don't matter!" scene. I imagine the person who wrote this smugly sitting back in their chair and thinking "indeed, this is awesome commentary on the country".

Yeah. You like all that subtlety?

Esau Cairn
Bright was ok.
It just took me a while to get used to & accept the mix of fantasy & ghetto together in a film.

I also thought the graffiti montage in the beginning was enough to establish a "historical background" for the story to move forward.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Bright was ok.
It just took me a while to get used to & accept the mix of fantasy & ghetto together in a film.

Same here.

I think the concept could work, but the world is going to need a lot more and better developing.

Surtur
Yeah. You like all that subtlety?

Indeed, it could only get more subtle if you had a banner on the bottom of the screen constantly flashing "orcs represent minorities!".

You'd also think the black guy would be a bit more understanding about being treated differently due to things you can't change...but nah, f*ck those fairies and orcs.

Robtard

^ Triggered by social commentary

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.