DeAgostini, Publisher of Fact Files and Official Starships Collection, Responds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
http://i.imgur.com/jpB2Z2i.png
http://i.imgur.com/0bzHuVG.png

Thoughts?

The_Tempest
Nothing revelatory: if new material explicitly contradicts old material, you must defer to the new.

MythLord
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Nothing revelatory: if new material explicitly contradicts old material, you must defer to the new.

Beniboybling
Nothing revelatory. smile

Azronger
This changes nothing. smile

DarthAnt66
My question:

"Just to clarify, the original Fact Files quote regarding the most powerful Jedi only applied to the old Star Wars continuity during the time-span of the publication (i.e. 2002 to 2005)?"

"As you mentioned, the re-release only applies to characters who predated the series, so I imagine the original version also has the same policy."

Their response:

"That is correct when considering the "Legends" canon."

---

Are ya'll ****ing serious? They directly confirm above that the quotes in Fact Files only applies up to characters around as of the time of the publication.

I imagine the confusion is coming from "official information," but given the context, that's referring to new stories and characters, not retconning quotes.

DarthAnt66
Also, even if their final sentence is referring to retconning quotes (it isn't), that doesn't change the fact they still confirmed my original questions and observations, which explicitly stated that quotes only refer to characters who predate the series.

There's literally no getting around it.

The_Tempest
The response says that information published afterward takes precedence in terms of accuracy. Meaning if there's something that explicitly contradicts the notion in question that's published afterwards, it takes priority.

That's a textbook retcon. That's always been the case.

DarthAnt66
That's irrelevant. That doesn't change the fact they confirmed my statements, which has nothing to do with retcons.

Beniboybling
The man said what he said and it weren't what you said, and unfortunately we can't be sure he fully understood or even fully read your convoluted question. Maybe ask him again for further clarification. rolling on floor laughing

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
no expression

Beniboybling
I dunno man, I'm not confident he was clear on the question. sad

DarthAnt66
The question was explicit and in detail.

Geistalt
Originally posted by The_Tempest
The response says that information published afterward takes precedence in terms of accuracy. Meaning if there's something that explicitly contradicts the notion in question that's published afterwards, it takes priority.

That's a textbook retcon. That's always been the case. Originally posted by DarthAnt66
That's irrelevant. That doesn't change the fact they confirmed my statements, which has nothing to do with retcons. No; it's not.

It means the fact that they agreed with your statements means that every statement and accolade is effectively retconned with each new source/character.

Beniboybling
The question was explicit and in detail. Can you confirm that he understood it though?

Also...

http://i.imgur.com/EALQVv0.png

KOTOR was released in 2003, during the time-span of the publication. So that means it would apply to Revan anyway right?

Geistalt
Originally posted by Beniboybling
KOTOR was released in 2003, during the time-span of the publication. So that means it would apply to Revan anyway right? KotOR was published after Fact File 11. So no.

Beniboybling
But still within the time-span of the publication (i.e. 2002-2005). mmm

Beniboybling
To be clear, KOTOR was released during the course of the series, so by Ant's estimation, it should still apply.

Rockydonovang
KOTOR was released in 2003, during the time-span of the publication. So that means it would apply to Revan anyway right?

laughing

Geistalt
My question:

"Just to clarify, the original Fact Files quote regarding the most powerful Jedi only applied to the old Star Wars continuity during the time-span of the publication (i.e. 2002 to 2005)?"

"As you mentioned, the re-release only applies to characters who predated the series, so I imagine the original version also has the same policy."

Their response:

---

I imagine the confusion is coming from "official information," but given the context, that's referring to new stories and characters, not retconning quotes. Ah; didn't even notice that.

Mace > KotOR Revan (at the very least). The quote itself is

But it's not explicitly Force strength. It could just as well be their combative prowess.

Goddamn; it's like they succeeded in answering the question, but you failed to ascertain whether or not they believe it should apply to Mace and Revan.

Rockydonovang
To be clear, KOTOR was released during the course of the series, so by Ant's estimation, it should still apply.
smile

Geistalt
My question:

Their response:

---

I imagine the confusion is coming from "official information," but given the context, that's referring to new stories and characters, not retconning quotes. Ah; didn't even notice that.

Mace > KotOR Revan (at the very least). The quote itself is

But it's not explicitly Force strength. It could just as well be their combative prowess.

Goddamn; it's like they succeeded in answering the question, but you failed to ascertain whether or not they believe it should apply to Mace and Revan.

DarthAnt66
-

DarthAnt66
Hm? I ask if it applies only to characters who predated the series, and they confirm.

Hint: Revan did not predate the series. Thus, he's not included.

The "time-span of the publication" is referring to all quotes in general, not a specific instance, so no.

It's not in regards to the specific Windu vs Revan case, so this doesn't mean the Windu quote applies since it's before Revan.

I would say you guys are reaching to levels that make your argument illegitimate from the start, but I think you realize that.

NewGuy01
Nah, what you're doing is just as bad, if not worse. For the second time you've tried to weasel this fellow into pressing your agenda, and for the second time he's dodged, albeit in an agreeable way. Probably because he has no more clarity regarding the official rules than us, but I digress.

Geistalt
My question:

Their response:

---

Are ya'll ****ing serious? They directly confirm above that the quotes in Fact Files only applies up to characters around as of the time of the publication. k, so here's how the "during the time-span of the publication" part makes sense to DarthAnt66: each issue of Fact Files only applies to preexisting sources/characters.

Beniboybling interprets it as asserting "Revan was around during the time of the Fact Files' publication, so the 'most powerful Jedi' quote applies to him."

I honestly don't give a damn about which Jedi is stronger, btw.

DarthAnt66
Revan wasn't around for the publication of the quote, as you pointed out earlier.

Beni, as always, is wrong, and is reaching beyond usual levels here.

He knows he's wrong too.

S_W_LeGenD
Some members assume that older revelations hold precedence over newer material until specified otherwise, that retcons are supposed to be explicit. They simply fail to understand that newer material can create room for debate and set the stage of re-evaluation of older material at official capacity. This is why we get revised or new reference books. However, such books are not coming for (Legends) content now.

cs_zoltan
So every time a new character showed up in the past LucasArts should've just dropped everything they were doing and make a new sourcebook just to re-establish those accolades? Seems legit.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Geistalt
k, so here's how the "during the time-span of the publication" part makes sense to DarthAnt66: each issue of Fact Files only applies to preexisting sources/characters.

Beniboybling interprets it as asserting "Revan was around during the time of the Fact Files' publication, so the 'most powerful Jedi' quote applies to him."

I honestly don't give a damn about which Jedi is stronger, btw. I wonder how the publisher interpreted it, guess we'll never know. mmm

Rockydonovang
actually no, ant's right, he asks about characters that "predate" the fact file series. So revan being created during the fact file doesn't change he's included in the quote. Mace does still get scaling from yaddle though

Rockydonovang
bump.

The Ellimist
Obviously I'm not going to comment too much on this given my ongoing debate with Ant.

But Ant has gotten a lot better at hiding his leading questions. smile

Freedon Nadd
So the author confirmed you need to take in account the context of books when debating. This is a simple common sense thing most people around here seem to not know based on ignorance or stupidity.

But Sheevites are like: Lmao, no. It doesn't matter if there are quotes about Revan as the strongest Jedi because in-universe Mace and his accolades existed after Revan.

Selenial

DarthAnt66
DarthGabe77 isn't as fashionable as DarthAnt66.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.