Twin Suns Kenobi and Maul: Still 8s, or now 7s?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Discuss your expectations.

SunRazer
I heard there was a quote for Obi-Wan declining but I'm not sure if I've seen it. Anybody got the quote?

If Witwer's commentary is reliable, then Maul's grown stronger, and Vader is obviously looking to be an 8 in canon, so Maul being able to stand up to him likely makes him an 8 as well.

That said, Ben may not necessarily rival Maul in this fight, though I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to.

DarthAnt66
In the Star Wars comics, Kenobi remarks how he has to catch up on his bladework after getting destroyed by a black Wookiee on Tatooine, IIRC. I don't think he used a lightsaber since his fight with Anakin, in fact.

SunRazer
Ah. I remember him struggling with Wookiees but I didn't remember some of the dialogue. If so, that's strong evidence for it. And therefore it's likely that Maul will hold the upper hand against Obi-Wan but lose for whatever reason (something to do with Ezra).

DarthAnt66
Despite what Witwer has said, I have not got the impression Maul's at the top of his game what-so-ever.

SunRazer
Probably cuz he's lost to padawans and hasn't shown anything that TCW Maul hasn't or is incapable of doing.

DarthAnt66
Maul's gone completely insane. He's become everything he wasn't in TPM.

I just can't see how Witwer regards this character the way he does.

Darth Abonis
They wont make Kenobi that bad. Both are older, and less powerful. They will be evenly matched, you watch and Ezra may be the shatterpoint. Yes, I said shatterpoint. Its back in canon. The only good thing from Empire's End

DarthAnt66
-

SunRazer
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Maul's gone completely insane. He's become everything he wasn't in TPM.

I just can't see how Witwer regards this character the way he does.

Yeah, this Maul is so far removed from TPM that it's not even funny. I can't even call it a caricature because they're basically making their own character using a known character model.

Geistalt
Obi-Wan ain't chopping Savage's arm off while fending off Maul anymore.

Maul's getting speedblitzed by fvcking Kanan.

Rockydonovang
Maul and kenobi should be more powerful. Kenobi may have degraded in saber ability though

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by SunRazer
Ah. I remember him struggling with Wookiees but I didn't remember some of the dialogue. If so, that's strong evidence for it. And therefore it's likely that Maul will hold the upper hand against Obi-Wan but lose for whatever reason (something to do with Ezra).
They could also have a reverse of the season 4 fight where kenobi initally struggles but then gets his ability back and wins

chingchangwalla
I still can't see how Maul will lose to Old man Kenobi. Maul is still agile as hell, even if he's lost some of his old skill

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
I still can't see how Maul will lose to Old man Kenobi. Maul is still agile as hell, even if he's lost some of his old skill
Kenobi initially is out of practice but then as the fight goes on he gets used to things and proceeds to outduel maul as the superior duelist.

nfactor1995
I have a sinking feeling that they will make Maul job like an idiot and lose to Kenobi in their Rebels fight. In some dumb way.

Rockydonovang
Probably cuz he's lost to padawans and hasn't shown anything that TCW Maul hasn't or is incapable of doing.
When did rebels maul ever lose to a padawan?

NewGuy01
Kanan Jarrus.

Zenwolf
Kanan was a Knight though?

Rockydonovang
Matching someone who went toe to toe with prime Vader 1 v 1> getting outdueled by an inferior version of a dude who got wrecked by dooku(season 6)despite the aid of his apprentice.

And getting wrecked by an amped Jedi knight>getting wrecked by a weird looking dog

TenebrousWay
The reality is this: Maul will defeat Obi Wan and he's going to be backstabbed by Ezra.

Rockydonovang
The reality is this: Kenobi will beat maul, like he did on florrum, and people will make up crap to discount it as a legit win

Zenwolf
But anyway, why is the whole "Obi-Wan is an old man" thing always held over Obi-Wan's head as a way to demean his skill? When old Jedi have shown the capability to still be great fighters?

Geistalt
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
The reality is this: Kenobi will beat Maul, like he did on Naboo and Florrum, and people will make up crap to discount it as a legit win

Geistalt
Also Malachor

o w8

taht was Kanan

TenebrousWay
The reality is this: Kenobi will beat maul, like he did on florrum, and people will make up crap to discount it as a legit win

You forget it's Filoni who's the director.

Geistalt
Which means Maul is fvcked worse than he ever was during TCW.

carthage
I legitimately have no idea how they could possibly integrate Ezra into the final duel with Maul and Kenobi and not **** it up. Most of us here just want to see them fight and have a (decent)-ish closure for Maul's arc, without Filoni ****ing him up with his antics even more. Why he feels compelled to integrate him into the story when their rivalry is already well established is beyond me.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Geistalt
and on naboo
Kenobi's win on naboo was more valid than oppress's win over koon tbh. Much better example of using "superior speed" and unlike in sith hunters maul has literally no reason to be standing around there and letting kenobi cut him in half.

But off course it's only "low balling" when it's one of the brother who loses

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by carthage
I legitimately have no idea how they could possibly integrate Ezra into the final duel with Maul and Kenobi and not **** it up. Most of us here just want to see them fight and have a (decent)-ish closure for Maul's arc, without Filoni ****ing him up with his antics even more. Why he feels compelled to integrate him into the story when their rivalry is already well established is beyond me.
Given how he's going to be defying Kanan I see it going like this

A. Kenobi vs Maul starts, kenobi initially loses due to being out of practice or(for good storytelling) because kenobi is emotionally unbalanced
B. Ezra tries to intervene and gets captured
C. Kenobi FOCUSES HIMSELF in order to save Ezra going all Jedi
D. Kenobi wrecks Maul
E. Kenobi spares maul letting go of his demons(maybe), maul begins a new life
F. Maul fans whine endlessly about how Kenobi was circumstantially amped even though it's been clearly established Kenobi can do this focus crap at will be it canon or legends
G. I try to find a way to hype the crap out of ahsoka and vader

Lord Stark
http://www.narutoforums.com/styles/nf/icons/e1ClrR8.png Maul is terrible.

TenebrousWay
Maul is a 6, slightly above the Inquisitors. smile

Trocity
Maul got blitzed by Old Ben. laughing out loud

Guess ANH Vader ain't so shit after all. eek!

|King Joker|
whwre's the bleach

Emperordmb
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6GgrmZC4CzE/hqdefault.jpg

|King Joker|
my favorite

TenebrousWay
Watching that again is kinda depressing. Maul looked like fodder. embarrasment

carthage
Ben is second only to Vader
Ahsoka=Fodder Maul

SunRazer
Just saw the fight. Three moves. Three. ****ing. Moves.

laughing out loud

TenebrousWay
If Maul is still a 8, Ben is a 10+ smile

SunRazer
Drallig >> Maul. smile

|King Joker|
Honestly we're probably going to get some bullshit explanation from FPJ or Witwer or Filoni with them being like "ya mannn the force was just using kenobi as a conduit to protect luke duuuude"

TenebrousWay
Agricorps half trained Inquisitor <= Maul

SunRazer
I have an idea of what they'll say, but at the moment I'm finding this more comical than anything else.

|King Joker|
Apparently Maul was supposed to die via Vader's hands in S2 -- I would've much preferred that

I mean, assuming it would've been an actual fight

TenebrousWay
As a fan, it isn't only comical, it's embarassing as well.

SunRazer
I think I'm somewhat less disappointed because I didn't have high expectations to begin with. I did predict the post-fight part, at least. smile

carthage
Kenobi very clearly has as of ANH surpassed Maul in light saber skill, was Vaders only threat as a combatant in the time period, and was surpassed only by Luke who he trained. The whole fight makes me reinterpret the duel in ANH, it's very clear that he stonewalled Vader and was a peer. He very well could've lost only to stamina, but yeah Ben ****ing destroyed h

|King Joker|
I mean, I at least thought it was going to be a fight? And not a total disappointing humiliation? I feel bad for actual Maul fans lol

SunRazer

|King Joker|
Far, far worse than TPM.

ares834
Still better than being clowned by Kanan.

Anyway, nice to finally have the Kenobi/Maul nonsense decisively answered. As for Kenobi, it seems he has improved quite a bit in his exile.

TenebrousWay
It's far worse, yeah. If it were to end like that they should've let Maul buried on TPM.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by ares834
Still better than being clowned by Kanan. At least with Kanan we had an explanation to fall back on

SunRazer
It's going to be the same, lol.

ares834
Originally posted by chingchangwalla

laughing out loud

ares834
Originally posted by |King Joker|
At least with Kanan we had an explanation to fall back on

A canon explanation? Or just some nonsense from voice actors?

TenebrousWay
Obi Wan drew his powers from the nexus created by Luke's birth! embarrasment

carthage
Kenobi is Vaders only peer until Luke

Maul is low tier

ares834

thumb up

Already happening.

TenebrousWay
kbro is going to flood the forum after watches that. LMAO

SunRazer
Think they were trying to draw a lot of parallels with TPM. The way Maul dies is like Qui-Gon's, and it seems like he was trying to do the move that dispatched Qui-Gon on Obi-Wan.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by ares834
A canon explanation? Or just some nonsense from voice actors? Even barring FPJ's explanation it's pretty obvious from the visual and auditory cues that Kanan was at peak performance and likely in a state of oneness or something similar, plus the fact Maul was evidently extremely overconfident, but I don't see why we should disregard FPJ's statements on Maul vs Kanan regardless.

TenebrousWay
Embarassed by a half trained Jedi and blitzed by Uncle Ben.

Sad.

carthage
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/maul-vs-kenobi-round-7-1851230/?page=3

Marco/Erkan is having a mental breakdown

UCanShootMyNova
Carthage. Do you think Erkan is really going to argue Maul had a heart attack mid duel?

MythLord
I think we can all agree that Maul is now a 6.

SunRazer
Maul's a 5. smile

Azronger
Wasn't there a quote saying Maul didn't decrease in skill at all?

SunRazer
There was one saying he studied Sith lore in the time between RotS and Rebels.

DarthDuelist9
Well that just sucks for Ahsoka

SunRazer
There's a quote from Witwer saying that Maul's past his prime.

Nephthys
Yeah, no shit.

DarthDuelist9
Sure, that's what the episode also confirmed to be honest, he's old and has nothing to fight for or... He still stalemated Ahsoka in TotA

SunRazer
Not sure if the developers actually adhere to a rigid structure to begin with. Apart from essentials like Vader and Palpatine being at the top, it's disturbingly inconsistent. I suppose in Canon Jedi and Sith are privy to random amps for varying reasons.

DarthDuelist9
Yeah, especially Filoni & co just do what's best for the story and probably don't even care about any kind of ranking

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by carthage
Kenobi very clearly has as of ANH surpassed Maul in light saber skill, was Vaders only threat as a combatant in the time period, and was surpassed only by Luke who he trained. The whole fight makes me reinterpret the duel in ANH, it's very clear that he stonewalled Vader and was a peer. He very well could've lost only to stamina, but yeah Ben ****ing destroyed h

Kenobi had surpassed maul as a duelist as of tcw.....

And yea kenobi/Vader can blitz dooku tiers now

TenebrousWay
Kenobi had surpassed maul as a duelist as of tcw.....

And yea kenobi/Vader can blitz dooku tiers now

I always knew that quote about Dooku being a second rate Jedi along the likes of Bastilla had been accurate.

Rockydonovang
Not sure if the developers actually adhere to a rigid structure to begin with. Apart from essentials like Vader and Palpatine being at the top, it's disturbingly inconsistent. I suppose in Canon Jedi and Sith are privy to random amps for varying reasons.
Luke being threatened would be a motivator

NewGuy01
Originally posted by TenebrousWay
I always knew that quote about Dooku being a second rate Jedi along the likes of Bastilla had been accurate.

Pretty sure that quote also included Kenobi.

Rockydonovang
Think they were trying to draw a lot of parallels with TPM. The way Maul dies is like Qui-Gon's, and it seems like he was trying to do the move that dispatched Qui-Gon on Obi-Wan.
thumb up thumb up
This was actually exactly why, and its noted that the shortness of the fight is because both are very good fighters:
https://youtu.be/8eIZsJsck7A?t=7m39s
So kenobi 's edge vs maul should be only marginal and maul logicaly is at his prime at this point

carthage
Maul is at his prime when he lost to Kanan and then gets ****ed in 3 moves? Lmao

People just need to accept Maul sucks

DarthAnt66
and maul logicaly is at his prime at this point
lmfao what

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
lmfao what
-gained knowledge and was collecting sith holocrons
-showed new kinds of abilities to an extent no other version of maul has shown
-fought evenly with someone who could contend with vader in his prime and who as a padawan was challlenging the likes of grevious
-voice actor claims he's at his peak
-is implied by feloni to have improved along with kenobi as a duelist

What has tcw maul done that suggests otherwise?

SunRazer
Maul's voice actor says that he's past his prime.

Learning new abilities doesn't put you in your prime at all. Legends Ben Kenobi deteriorated despite learning new abilities.

|King Joker|
Maul's voice actor says that he's past his prime. where

Rockydonovang
The quote wasn't referring to combative power iirc.

And no, it alone doesn't but it implies power growth which would have to be negated by him detoriating as a duelistwhich there's no evidence of(fighting evenly with a challenge for prime vader>losing with favorable circumstances vs tcw kenobi imo.)

Additionally feloni also implies that maul grew as a duelist with his and kenobi's shorter fights being attributed to them being very good duelists(which would imply they weren't as good when their fights were longer.

SunRazer
Well, I found it yesterday and got told "no shit" so I didn't post it. And people want it when I've forgotten what thread it was in.... erm

I'll try to find it.

Rockydonovang

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.