Favorite characters (2017)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
Who are your favorite star wars characters? And why?

Mine are:
1) Anakin/Darth Vader- He's the chosen one. Wasn't able to reach his full potential but was still more powerful than almost every other character in the SW universe. Got terribly injured/crippled and was still extremely powerful. Oh, and he looks badass.

2)Darth Nihilus- A new favorite of mine. I think his mask/outfit is cool and his powers are unique

3)Kylo Ren-Has a sweet lightsaber and looks badass (with his mask on...)

4)Obi Wan Kenobi- My favorite jedi. Not really sure what it is but I just like his character.

5)Darth Maul-When I first saw TPM as a kid I thought Maul was so cool with his double bladed lightsaber. His character is a little different now since CW and Rebels came out, but he's still one of my favorites

DarthAnt66
Revan, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, Kylo Ren.

Rebel95
Oh yeah I totally forgot, Palpatine is one of mine too. Revan's also up there for me

UCanShootMyNova
Qui Gon, Dooku, Grievous, Anakin, Luke/Obi Wan.

carthage
Darth Vader, Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Plagueis, Palpatine, Luke Skywalker, Ulic Qel-Droma, Darth Malgus

Emperordmb
Darth Bane: My favorite Sith Lord for a variety of reasons. First off is the fact that he consciously chose the Dark Side because its philosophy of strength made sense to him, rather than being born a sociopath, raised in Sith culture, or manipulated to the Dark Side. This decision sets the philosophically driven tone for Bane's character as his trilogy is centered around him first trying to adjust the Sith philosophy of the Brotherhood, then becoming disillusioned with it and forming his own philosophy from a variety of sources in his life, then setting out to apply that philosophy to the Sith Order so one day it can be applied to the Galaxy at large. Darth Bane's Rule of Two was a mechanism designed to turn what once made the Sith weak (infighting), into something that would make them strong (a mechanism for evolution). That idea is integral to Bane's very character, as reflected by the fact that he chose his abusive father's cruel nickname as his own Sith name to take what once made him weak to make himself strong. And lastly what makes Bane so compelling for him is that unlike every other Sith his devotion from the Dark Side stems from philosophical perspective rather than egotistical selfishness, and that his ultimate loyalty is to the principles of the Dark Side rather than himself. He did after all create a philosophy he knew would one day lead to his death.

Luke Skywalker: Luke is for the Jedi what Bane is for the Sith, a reformer who rebuilt his order around a philosophy more in keeping with the Light Side of the Force. Where the old Jedi Order (namely the Jedi Council) ultimately failed due to arrogance (blinding them to the machinations of the Sith) and a philosophy of emotional detachment (which lead to Anakin's fall since there was no place in the Order for him to handle his feelings with Padme), Luke embraces both love (which I believe motivates all good) and humility (which I believe allows one to counteract arrogance, which I believe motivates all evil), using love to redeem his Father where both Obi-Wan and Yoda thought it impossible, and rebuilding the Jedi Order with less centralized power, and more allotment for individuality and emotional connection. Philosophy aside, his character arc is still a quintessential example of maturation, going from a farm boy, to a student, to a Jedi who could see what some of the greatest Jedi before him could not, to the wisest Grand Master in the history of the Jedi.

Son of Mortis: The Son of Mortis is on this list because he is my favorite of the Ones, the Ones conceptually interest me, and the Mortis Arc is my favorite arc of the Clone wars, due to both the aesthetic visuals and the thematic weight. To start off with, the Son's visual design is extremely appealing for a personification of the Dark Side, particularly his armor, tattoos, eyes, extreme height, gargoyle appearance, and red force lightning. His voice acting done by Sam Witwer that contained elements of other Dark Sider's voices as well, and the added echoey effect the One's voices have topped it off. Then of course, there's the gratuitous aspect of power tripping in having a Dark Sider that Valkorion and Sidious could never really measure up to in power, and the visual satisfaction of seeing such powers on screen, like teleportation, shape-shifting, red force lightning, lightsaber blocking tutaminus, lightsaber deactivation, environmental manipulation, levitation, physically manhandling Anakin, and doing it all so casually. Then lastly, the Son represents so many qualities of the Dark Side very well. He displays his need for dominance over other beings through his enslavement of killiks, and through his mental enslavement of Ahsoka, he displays the sheer avarice and the need for territorial control through his goal to escape Mortis and seek conquest over the Galaxy as well as fighting with his sister for Territorial control on their original planet, and he displays the manipulative nature of the Dark Side through orchestrating the events of Altar of Mortis and seducing Anakin to the Dark Side in Ghosts of Mortis. The most important and prevalent trait however is the arrogance the Son of Mortis displays, which as the Father says to him "Vanity is getting the better of you," and his statements, body language, physical gestures, and tone of voice are all very impressively reflective of that trait, which is pretty much the root of all evil. What's more is that unlike with many other Dark Side characters, we get to see a certain inner turmoil within the Son not really displayed with say Sidious, Valkorion, Plagueis, Bane, etc. which is the inner suffering that motivates arrogance to begin with. So seeing the Son's inner turmoil and vanity is like seeing some of the most quintessential traits behind evil in a way not displayed as fully with many other characters, and through a characterization that makes him dangerously volatile and wrapped up in his own emotions.

Geistalt
I've gotten awfully fond of Scourge recently.

Got to appreciate that "I did what was necessary" mentality.

Rebel95
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Darth Bane: My favorite Sith Lord for a variety of reasons. First off is the fact that he consciously chose the Dark Side because its philosophy of strength made sense to him, rather than being born a sociopath, raised in Sith culture, or manipulated to the Dark Side. This decision sets the philosophically driven tone for Bane's character as his trilogy is centered around him first trying to adjust the Sith philosophy of the Brotherhood, then becoming disillusioned with it and forming his own philosophy from a variety of sources in his life, then setting out to apply that philosophy to the Sith Order so one day it can be applied to the Galaxy at large. Darth Bane's Rule of Two was a mechanism designed to turn what once made the Sith weak (infighting), into something that would make them strong (a mechanism for evolution). That idea is integral to Bane's very character, as reflected by the fact that he chose his abusive father's cruel nickname as his own Sith name to take what once made him weak to make himself strong. And lastly what makes Bane so compelling for him is that unlike every other Sith his devotion from the Dark Side stems from philosophical perspective rather than egotistical selfishness, and that his ultimate loyalty is to the principles of the Dark Side rather than himself. He did after all create a philosophy he knew would one day lead to his death.

Luke Skywalker: Luke is for the Jedi what Bane is for the Sith, a reformer who rebuilt his order around a philosophy more in keeping with the Light Side of the Force. Where the old Jedi Order (namely the Jedi Council) ultimately failed due to arrogance (blinding them to the machinations of the Sith) and a philosophy of emotional detachment (which lead to Anakin's fall since there was no place in the Order for him to handle his feelings with Padme), Luke embraces both love (which I believe motivates all good) and humility (which I believe allows one to counteract arrogance, which I believe motivates all evil), using love to redeem his Father where both Obi-Wan and Yoda thought it impossible, and rebuilding the Jedi Order with less centralized power, and more allotment for individuality and emotional connection. Philosophy aside, his character arc is still a quintessential example of maturation, going from a farm boy, to a student, to a Jedi who could see what some of the greatest Jedi before him could not, to the wisest Grand Master in the history of the Jedi.

Son of Mortis: The Son of Mortis is on this list because he is my favorite of the Ones, the Ones conceptually interest me, and the Mortis Arc is my favorite arc of the Clone wars, due to both the aesthetic visuals and the thematic weight. To start off with, the Son's visual design is extremely appealing for a personification of the Dark Side, particularly his armor, tattoos, eyes, extreme height, gargoyle appearance, and red force lightning. His voice acting done by Sam Witwer that contained elements of other Dark Sider's voices as well, and the added echoey effect the One's voices have topped it off. Then of course, there's the gratuitous aspect of power tripping in having a Dark Sider that Valkorion and Sidious could never really measure up to in power, and the visual satisfaction of seeing such powers on screen, like teleportation, shape-shifting, red force lightning, lightsaber blocking tutaminus, lightsaber deactivation, environmental manipulation, levitation, physically manhandling Anakin, and doing it all so casually. Then lastly, the Son represents so many qualities of the Dark Side very well. He displays his need for dominance over other beings through his enslavement of killiks, and through his mental enslavement of Ahsoka, he displays the sheer avarice and the need for territorial control through his goal to escape Mortis and seek conquest over the Galaxy as well as fighting with his sister for Territorial control on their original planet, and he displays the manipulative nature of the Dark Side through orchestrating the events of Altar of Mortis and seducing Anakin to the Dark Side in Ghosts of Mortis. The most important and prevalent trait however is the arrogance the Son of Mortis displays, which as the Father says to him "Vanity is getting the better of you," and his statements, body language, physical gestures, and tone of voice are all very impressively reflective of that trait, which is pretty much the root of all evil. What's more is that unlike with many other Dark Side characters, we get to see a certain inner turmoil within the Son not really displayed with say Sidious, Valkorion, Plagueis, Bane, etc. which is the inner suffering that motivates arrogance to begin with. So seeing the Son's inner turmoil and vanity is like seeing some of the most quintessential traits behind evil in a way not displayed as fully with many other characters, and through a characterization that makes him dangerously volatile and wrapped up in his own emotions.
Great post, thanks for sharing

AncientPower
Daala is easily my favourite, barring her insanity.

Azronger
Luke, Palpatine, Vader/Anakin, Kenobi, Plagueis, Tyranus, and Kreia are my absolute favorites.

Flyattractor
The Stormtroopers.

MythLord
Originally posted by Azronger
Luke, Palpatine, Vader/Anakin, Kenobi, Plagueis, Tyranus, and Kreia are my absolute favorites.

SunRazer
Agreed with Myth and Az, but I also want to mention Ulic Qel-Droma, and to a lesser extent, Qui-Gon Jinn. I also find the concept of the Exile interesting, but her character in the novel is certainly nothing to write home about.

chingchangwalla
Ulic, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon & Dooku

Kurk
Originally posted by Emperordmb

Son of Mortis: The Son of Mortis is on this list because he is my favorite of the Ones, the Ones conceptually interest me, and the Mortis Arc is my favorite arc of the Clone wars, due to both the aesthetic visuals and the thematic weight. To start off with, the Son's visual design is extremely appealing for a personification of the Dark Side, particularly his armor, tattoos, eyes, extreme height, gargoyle appearance, and red force lightning. His voice acting done by Sam Witwer that contained elements of other Dark Sider's voices as well, and the added echoey effect the One's voices have topped it off. Then of course, there's the gratuitous aspect of power tripping in having a Dark Sider that Valkorion and Sidious could never really measure up to in power, and the visual satisfaction of seeing such powers on screen, like teleportation, shape-shifting, red force lightning, lightsaber blocking tutaminus, lightsaber deactivation, environmental manipulation, levitation, physically manhandling Anakin, and doing it all so casually. Then lastly, the Son represents so many qualities of the Dark Side very well. He displays his need for dominance over other beings through his enslavement of killiks, and through his mental enslavement of Ahsoka, he displays the sheer avarice and the need for territorial control through his goal to escape Mortis and seek conquest over the Galaxy as well as fighting with his sister for Territorial control on their original planet, and he displays the manipulative nature of the Dark Side through orchestrating the events of Altar of Mortis and seducing Anakin to the Dark Side in Ghosts of Mortis. The most important and prevalent trait however is the arrogance the Son of Mortis displays, which as the Father says to him "Vanity is getting the better of you," and his statements, body language, physical gestures, and tone of voice are all very impressively reflective of that trait, which is pretty much the root of all evil. What's more is that unlike with many other Dark Side characters, we get to see a certain inner turmoil within the Son not really displayed with say Sidious, Valkorion, Plagueis, Bane, etc. which is the inner suffering that motivates arrogance to begin with. So seeing the Son's inner turmoil and vanity is like seeing some of the most quintessential traits behind evil in a way not displayed as fully with many other characters, and through a characterization that makes him dangerously volatile and wrapped up in his own emotions. It wouldn't really make sense for a sociopath to join the darkside, DMB. Sociopath's generally have extremely suppressed emotions, if at all. Some Psychopaths who have explosive tendencies but otherwise remain calm could be better suited for it. If anything, sociopaths would make great jedi.

Azronger
Originally posted by SunRazer
Agreed with Myth and Az, but I also want to mention Ulic Qel-Droma, and to a lesser extent, Qui-Gon Jinn. I also find the concept of the Exile interesting, but her character in the novel is certainly nothing to write home about.

Ulic is also one of my favorites. A great redemption story that wasn't a carbon copy of Anakin's.

Geistalt
Originally posted by Kurk
It wouldn't really make sense for a sociopath to join the darkside, DMB. Sociopath's generally have extremely suppressed emotions, if at all. Some Psychopaths who have explosive tendencies but otherwise remain calm could be better suited for it. If anything, sociopaths would make great jedi. There is no clinical difference between sociopaths and psychopaths, because they both thrive on and benefit from the anguish of others.

Kurk
1.) Dooku - He has consistently remained my favorite ever since I switched from being a casual SW fan and started reading in-depth. In my mind, Dooku is the ideal person I wish I could be, and I strive to as much as I can. If anything he is my role-model as bad as some may interpret that to be.

The most attractive qualities he exhibits is his wisdom, self-discipline, ambition, and overall rationale and stoic demeanor. The man gives no shits about what others think of him and he doesn't fall victim to the "norm".

As a bonus he's extremely classy, fit, handsome, and chivalrous (well, to an extent). Sort of like a Renaissance man if you think about.

2.) Anakin/Vader - despite my low-balling of him, I find myself in one of those love/hate relationships with this character. When I was still a casual SW fan he was my favorite, but now I despise Anakin for his irrational, childish, undisciplined behavior.

Probably the most appealing thing would be the overall character development; a young Anakin falling victim to his flaws to become Darth Vader who then lives the remainder of his life trying to destroy anything reminiscent from the past. In a way I can relate to this as I go through my personal journey to become more rational and adult-like as I transition to adult-hood; loathing my past childish mistakes.

Overall Vader has his good moments, but he also has his pathetic ones as well. He makes this list because I think he has great character development, but otherwise I have nightmares of adapting his personality.

3.) Pre-Vizsla / Prince Xizor For the end of tier I of my list, it's a toss-up between these two. It's been a while since I've read a Xizor novel, but I remember him to be disciplined, physically inclined, a womenizer, rational, and intelligent. I'm not really a fan of his appearance or his thug-like nature though.

Pre-Vizsla might have a slight advantage over Xizor; he too is disciplined, physically inclined, determined, and ambitious. I think I like his warrior origins more as well as his experience in politics and overall leadership position. Like Dooku, his non-resistance to death was attributed to his pride, as he accepted his inferiority to his opponent.

Kurk
Originally posted by Geistalt
There is no clinical difference between sociopaths and psychopaths, because they both thrive on and benefit from the anguish of others. I was just reading something on this the other day; I'll link it if I can find it. But it did differentiate the two.

SunRazer
Have you missed Dooku's xenophobic, genocidal and sadistic nature?

Or the fact that he spent his entire Sith career being played by Palpatine? smile

Kurk
Originally posted by SunRazer
Have you missed Dooku's xenophobic, genocidal and sadistic nature?

Or the fact that he spent his entire Sith career being played by Palpatine? smile I'm a sadistic person smile
I suck my superior's dicks too. Whatever it takes goddamnit.

SunRazer
Well, it's good to know that you see the entire world in terms of assets and threats. erm

Ursumeles
Originally posted by Azronger
+ Vergere, Jacen, Thrawn and possibly Kyp & Saba.

SunRazer
I tend to forget someone every time I make one of these lists. It's usually Ulic; this time it's Vergere. Great character.

I also quite like Lumiya, although I don't know if I'd classify her as a favourite.

Kurk
Oh! how could I have forgotten? Thrawn is second favorite to Dooku.

Beniboybling
Ahsoka Tano; to TCW she is the quintessential heroine, a young Jedi coming of age during the decline of an era, there is something incredibly accessible and genuine about her character and character arc that I find really compelling. Darth Vader; the ultimate antagonist, he has the best dress, the best character and the best words, I especially like the fact that you never quite know what's going on behind the mask. Palpatine; the ultimate big bad, more than a character he essentially embodies evil and its corrupting influences, and indeed in some ways is the origin of all evil in the saga, which is awesome. Kreia; an exceptionally compelling take on the old mentor archetype, and has the only monologues of any medium that I would listen too on a loop. Ventress; for someone who started off as just another of TCW's villains of the week, she took on an incredible depth as a character, and Nika Futterman's voice work is excellent.

The_Tempest
The Dooku of YDR and the Republic comics really is fantastic.

Deronn_solo
Kyp, Satele, Vader, Thrawn, and Han Solo.

DarthDuelist9
Kylo Ren: He's an extremely tragic character, he's shown such a great potential and because his parents neglected him he has no idea who he's supposed to be or what really is the right path for him. He's struggling to find the right way to use his powers and become the best possible version of himself which because of his struggle is impossible. In The Force Awakens I really thought his look was pretty damn cool but what mostly hit me was when he was talking to Han Solo, we see how he's torn between both sides and how he just wants to become what he thinks he can become. In the end he makes a decision to make an ultimate sacrifice by killing his father in order to be free "of the pain" yet he ultimately (according to the novel and Adam Driver's comments about episode VII) is only enforcing his struggle.

For the rest: Ezra Bridger, Darth Maul, Anakin Skywalker and Dooku.

Rebel95
Darth Bane and Malgus are two other favorites of mine. Luke is probably another

MythLord
Originally posted by Ursumeles
+ Vergere, Jacen, Thrawn and possibly Kyp & Saba.

Prolly Jaina, as well. Admiral Trench is also a fascinating character for me. Aryn Leneer; Ulic Qel-Droma; Darth Zannah; Wyyrlok, Bane; Krayt.

TenebrousWay
Sidious, Malgus, Traya, Dooku, Vader, Ahsoka and Jaina.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by MythLord
Prolly Jaina, as well.
I love her, but her character is often lacking.

Nephthys
Kreia.

SCORPIO. <3

Jolee.

HK-47.

Lokin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.