Destiny 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/27/bungie-officially-reveals-destiny-2

Yeah I don't think I can let myself be duped a second time. Lets see if they've improved on the formula.

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Destiny-2-Tweet_03-27-17-600x337.jpg

Smasandian
Man, the trailer is strange way to promote the game. It was like Bungie though, "everybody loves the humour in Borderlands, lets do that!" but somehow still have the depressing shit is real look and storyline.

However, Destiny was fun to play from a mechanical point of view (the controls and feel were fantastic) it just wasn't good from every other aspect of it. If they add a good campaign, interesting sidequests, better loot system and continue to provide the excellent shooter mechanics, I could be game for the sequel.

Zack Fair
Of course lets compare it to Borderlands.

Cayde's just being Cayde. He is the Deadpool of that universe xD

Destiny 2 will most likely surprise a lot of people. Bungie has learned a lot from their mistakes and Destiny 1 has come a long way since day 1.

BackFire
Is taken king good?

Nemesis X
A good campaign, good side quests, a codex feature, a trading system and I might consider this. Also let us fly our ships. I want them to be more than just decorations for the loading screen. Not sure where Bungie was going with that.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by BackFire
Is taken king good?

So far its the best expansion and it was very good. Improved on many of the things that made Destiny a chore back in day 1.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
A good campaign, good side quests, a codex feature, a trading system and I might consider this. Also let us fly our ships. I want them to be more than just decorations for the loading screen. Not sure where Bungie was going with that. You know you'll get it. dur

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Zack Fair
You know you'll get it. dur

You can't prove that.

*sweating and frantically looking around totally unrelated to the conversation*

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Nemesis X
You can't prove that.

*sweating and frantically looking around totally unrelated to the conversation*

hahahaha xD

Zack Fair
I am pleased with everything I saw.

Daey6qGgLKU

BackFire
I should probably play The Taken King so I know what the hell is going on here. Combat looked solid. Mission design looked a lot more streamlined and interesting than the bland vanilla missions.

Zack Fair
Destiny 2 appears to be the evolution of all the progress and improvements Destiny went through after its horrible release.

I have just so much to say about it that I can't even begin lol.

Taken King is by far the best DLC/update of Destiny 1.

Arachnid1
It looks the exact same. It's a flat out reskin. They haven't learned a damn thing.

Let me guess...

3 worlds max and a bunch of moons to visit
Two raids at launch, 1 every DLC
A lack of real content meaning grinding the same levels over and over

The only things that will be good about it are the shooting and loot mechanics, just like the first.

BackFire
Are the other DLC's worth playing as well?

Also, I don't know how to say this without sounding like a bit of a prick, but I really hate listening to Luke Smith talk, his smarmy whiny voice really bothers me, and I get the impression he thinks he's much wittier than he really is.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Arachnid1
It looks the exact same. It's a flat out reskin. They haven't learned a damn thing.

Let me guess...

The only things that will be good about it are the shooting and loot mechanics, just like the first. ok

Zack Fair
Luke is annoying lol.

I find DeeJ much more annoying tho.

BTW Backfire yes Rise of Iron is a good DLC as well, but in the end I say if you're a solo player then it isn't as good as it could be.

Raids are Destiny's prime, and solo gaming keeps you from enjoying them. Now is a good time to get into the game though. Everything got updated to max light and you can enjoy all raids and people will actually do them because the loot is worth it. Grind is a lot less than it was back in y1 too.

BackFire
Originally posted by Arachnid1

Let me guess...

The only things that will be good about it are the shooting and loot mechanics, just like the first.

I dunno, as someone who hasn't played since Vanilla launched, I think it looks like a pretty significant improvement, at least from that. Having a narrative is in itself a huge improvement, which was my biggest problem with the original game at launch. It's kind of pathetic that that's something to praise them over, but with the state of the Vanilla game, it's a big deal, though of course that goes to how bad the original game was at launch moreso than to how good this game will be.

I don't really care about the number of worlds or spaces to play it, I'd rather those spaces be fleshed out and fun to actually be in. I'd rather have 4 fleshed out worlds than 10 empty boring worlds. Time will tell if Destiny 2's worlds actually are good, but the number of worlds isn't something that should be a concern.

Also having a LFG tool in game to easily find people to do Raids with is another big deal, though again, that's praising them for something that should have been in the core game.

It does look like they've learned from their mistakes, at least from Vanilla, though with the errors that were in Vanilla, they'd have to be total incompetents not to learn from that experience.

BackFire
Thanks for the info Zack, I'll probably pick up Taken King at the very least.

Zack Fair
We are having NPCs scattered throughout the worlds. The navigation in worlds is more smooth. The story narrative improved over the course of Destiny's lifespan, and it looks like it continues to do so. Graphics engine clearly benefited from dropping old consoles. They learned a long time ago to make the player feel rewarded for their time invested, so the grind slowly and steadily became less "evil" and actually worth it. They are focusing on Crucible which is really good considering Crucible(which was an after thought in Destiny 1) is what kept Destiny alive for so long. More vehicles and the world being more "interactive" than just going on patrols.

It might look the same on the surface I suppose? I dunno. But like...I feel you're just a little too angry at them. I don't blame you because vanilla Destiny was bad, but the game came a long way since then.

Granted all of this is from what they say and show us. I learned long ago to take everything Bungie says with a grain of salt.

Smasandian
It all depends if missions/story/things to do are interesting and varied.

But I'm weary considering the three minutes I saw of a mission looked like a mission I played in the vanilla game. You know....just defending something and ships appear....

Zack Fair
I guess lol.

I'm curious...did anyone ever try a raid?

BackFire
I didn't. I would have but couldn't be bothered to use a 3rd party app to find a group. I'm happy they're implementing a group finder for raids, though. I'll probably try a raid in Destiny 2.

Zack Fair
Go for it, man.

Variety and complex/interesting mechanics is what you crave? Go Raid.

I'm actually excited a lot of people are going to experience them this time around.

BackFire
Are they terribly long?

Zack Fair
Their lengths vary.

King's Fall(The Taken King Raid) is the longest and most mechanically heavy raid Destiny has to offer. It can take 2-3 hours with a competent team and a lot more with a newbie/crappy fireteam.

Crota's End (Dark Below DLC) is the shortest and simplest of raids and it can be cleared in less than hour if the fireteam knows what they are doing.

Its interesting because King's Fall was long and very complex due to complains about Crota's End being too short and simple.

Me and my clan used to two man Crota's End back in year 1(Raids being activity meant for 6 players) durlaugh Granted my clan is very hardcore about the game.

Smasandian
I guess lol.

I'm curious...did anyone ever try a raid?

No. I only made it to the moon because I was ****ing bored.

But you have to admit that vanilla game had a huge amount of scripted events where the Dinklebot had to "hack" something and you had hold off waves of enemies.

It's just funny that the only gameplay that I watched (and I just skimmed) was the player holding off a wave of enemies while somebody is doing something.

BackFire
And do you have to do them all in one sitting? Can you save your progress and come back to it later?

Zack Fair
And do you have to do them all in one sitting? Can you save your progress and come back to it later?

No you don't have to do them in one sitting. They got checkpoints before and after every big encounter/puzzle/platforming section

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Smasandian
No. I only made it to the moon because I was ****ing bored.

But you have to admit that vanilla game had a huge amount of scripted events where the Dinklebot had to "hack" something and you had hold off waves of enemies.

It's just funny that the only gameplay that I watched (and I just skimmed) was the player holding off a wave of enemies while somebody is doing something.

Vanilla Destiny was horrible. I only played it because I enjoyed the polished gunplay and got hooked in the crucible/exotics grind.

I remember seeing the ending for the first time and going "Wait what...? That's it? LOL"

The one thing I wish they did was put a library of sorts where we can read all the game's Lore In-Game. The game has very awesome lore, but you have to go read it in an App or their website--which is ****ing dumb to me.

Smasandian
Yeah, all that was stupid.

Destiny was a death by small cuts kind of deal for me. Overall, the gunplay was fantastic, setting was interesting and it started off really well but everything else was annoying.

I could take a so-so story if the missions were unique. I could take seeing the lore on a website but the story was weak and never really explained anything.

Hell there was that part where a NPC basically said, "there is this amazing story to tell but not right now"....and I'm like, "I need something..."

Zack Fair
The Stranger...****ing *****. "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." F U.

Sad thing is the theories and clues behind her are really ****ing cool.

Nemesis X
hXP2PcyXiLI

BackFire
The Stranger...****ing *****. "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." F U.

Sad thing is the theories and clues behind her are really ****ing cool.

So another question, this time about the story and characters. Is the story in the expansions a continuation of what happened in the core game? or did one of the expansions act as a bit of a soft reboot for the narrative as a whole?

Zack Fair
The Vex/core story is left alone. Stranger parts ways and we never hear from her. The first DLC focuses on the Hive with Crota's End. Then we get some insight on the Awoken and their queen/Fallen with the DLC House of Wolves. King's Fall went back to Hive and introduced the taken with oryx(Crota's nigh godlike father) and then we fall back to the Fallen in Rise of Iron.

Vex have been unused after the core "story"

BackFire
Man, I should refresh myself on the universe, I totally forgot everything and have no idea what any of the races are.

cdtm
Meh.

Even if the first game wasn't a chore, they're terrible with patch's.

Zack Fair
Man, I should refresh myself on the universe, I totally forgot everything and have no idea what any of the races are.

Fallen = Covenant
Hive = Flood
Cabal(the main enemy race in D2) = Brutes
Vex = Future Robos

Zack Fair
Originally posted by cdtm
Meh.

Even if the first game wasn't a chore, they're terrible with patch's.

This I agree with. They need to step up their patching game. They take too long.

Zack Fair
Is it odd that I feel like Destiny 2 is a little too close/similar to Destiny 1?

I don't know...I get the fact that changing too much will make it not feel like Destiny and it will piss off the fanbase. Keep it the same and it feels like just an expansion. Kindda like CoD?

Can't please them all I guess?

All I know is I doubt I will be as invested into D2 as I was with D1. I feel like I will grow bored/tired of it very fast. I've been dancing this dance for over 3 years now.

BackFire
I'm a little surprised they didn't add a new class and a new race of enemies. Not a very big deal to me, but probably would have gone a long way in making it feel more like a sequel.

Zack Fair
I just kind of...I honestly put a lot...and I mean A LOT of hours into Destiny. It became my hobby....and seeing so much similar stuff....little things like identical reload animations, grenades and other things....I just kindda am tired of it all lol.

Granted I know I will put heavy hours into it, but I doubt it will have the staying power it had on me back then.

That said I ain't hating or anything. I'm actually positive about the game.

Nemesis X
Grimoire Cards are gone and good riddance. Destiny 2 will be telling it's lore in-game.

Newjak
I'm a little surprised they didn't add a new class and a new race of enemies. Not a very big deal to me, but probably would have gone a long way in making it feel more like a sequel. I do like the way they revamped the current classes to make them feel more unique. Especially with adding class abilities.

BackFire
I bought Taken King and have been playing that, along with the two prior "expansions"

The two prior expansions were pretty bad, but Taken King is a huge improvement as far as storytelling and missions design goes. If Destiny 2's campaign is on par with Taken King then the game should be pretty worth it for me.

Zack Fair
Anyone getting this?

Hate not withstanding lol.

Nemesis X
Nah. Part of me expects only the intro to wow and the rest of the game be like the first Destiny.

Smasandian
I'm waiting to see if Nemesis is right.

I have no faith in Bungie at this moment. The videos don't really make me excited at all. In fact, they showed a mission where you hold off enemies while somebody does a task. One of the reasons why I hated the first game because it seemed every mission was holding off a group of NPC's while your ghost hacked. It was lame.

BackFire
I will most likely buy it, waiting on reviews, though.

BackFire
Early reviews seem pretty positive. The storyline by all accounts is much better and there's a lot more to do.

Since I'm bored and want something to play over the next month or so I went ahead and bought it. Will start playing it tonight.

BackFire
Played for a couple hours last night.

Thus far it's a huge improvement. The set up and opening level is really good, and there is already more narrative punch than the entirety of the first game.

Graphics and environmental detail have also been noticeably improved over the first game.

So far this is looking like this will be a solid game.

Arachnid1
Thats good to hear. Not enough for me to trust and walk into this again, but a step in the right direction

Nemesis X
From everything I'm hearing so far, this sounds like the Destiny we should've gotten back in 2014. That would've been nice. In time, maybe I will come back to this if the positivity keeps up and Angry Joe doesn't burn it too badly in his review.

If I do decide to buy it, I'll wait for the inevitable rerelease with all the expansions packaged with the base game. You know it'll happen.

Nemesis X
Shaders have now been reduced to consumables each you can only use once on your gear. And they're a microtransaction.

https://kotaku.com/destiny-2-players-fume-over-one-time-use-shaders-and-m-1801803456

yw7dlXrkrEU

It looks like Bungie and/or Activision really can't go without saying F YOU in some way.

BackFire
I really like the new adventures that they created for this game. Essentially little dungeon/side missions that reward a quick bit of loot. Also exploring the zones is more fun in general, feels like there's more going on in them.

The Lost
Not getting it. No way.

I cannot fully judge/review, as I haven't played it, but the CC looks precisely the same, the three same classes (honestly?), the UI looks too similar, mechanically? There are probably tweaks but this comes off as something that happens in a massive tune-up of a PC MMO in some whatever-gigabyte patch/update.

If this is a sequel, so are giant updates.

Nemesis X
qLdQWtkH0aQ

Inhuman
Dont get what the hype is all about with this game. Seen tons of gameplay on Twitch, looks pretty boring and with outdated graphics. Even the gun animations look unpolished.

Nemesis X
After watching that review, I'm not really that surprised. While the story has improved a bit, there are still plenty of problems with Destiny clearly.

Nibedicus
Played Destiny 2, got to Light level 297 a little over a week after game launched and got bored of it right away.

The new loot system sucks. It just means that Light level and getting the few exotics is the only thing to look forward to if you are an RPG player. It is too easy. The loot is all the same. Nothing makes you any different. Specs are all the same, items all have the same stats. As an RPG player, I hate this part of the game. They focused too much on making everyone the same for the sake of PVP and just messed up the RPG PVE elements.

Loved Destiny 1, hate D2.

Freaking spent $99 on the digital deluxe, too. For something that kept me interested a little over a week, and not once gave me a memorable moment (cept that one time in the Crucible) Lol. There's just nothing to be excited about in the loot. No random stats mean that it's simply a grind for light and exotics. If I didn't make decent money, I'd be pissed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.