Permanent mark on the reputation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SamZED
Thought of this after reading DarkSaint85's comment in another thread on how Spider-man beating Firelord is the reason FL is not taken as seriously as a herald should be.

Can you think of other fights where character's victory over another character has left a permanent stain on latter's reputation in the long run.
Meaning that examples like "Hulk got choked out by snake" is not a valid example because he is still a legitimate team buster whose "career" didn't really suffer because of that one example. That and the fact that some snake isn't really a character.

Any examples?

DarkSaint85
Mr X and Quicksilver?

Kingpin and Spidey, perhaps? Whatever it was that made us all go, yup, that's classic Kingpin..

Beyonders and Thor/Hyperion.

ghostman
flash getting tagged by deathstroke. haven't seen a flash vs thread without that shit being brought up at least once

DarkSaint85
Yeah, but Flash has enough showings that we all know its BS (like Hulk and the snake).

OP isn't asking for low showings. He's asking for showings that downgrade a characters entire history.

Kingpin being one of them. Marvel don't make a distinction between classic Kingpin and current Kingpin...but somewhere along the line, there's a clear line between his classic days and now.

riv6672
Is the OP asking for in-universe or fan based?

Anyway, in-universe Hercules' MoE beatdown scarred him for years, not so much in RL as posters dont use the example with any particular malice.

riv6672
Batman one shotting Guy Gardner was an in-iniverse running joke among his peers for a looong time.

Prometheus getting nut whipped by Catwoman in his initial outing as a bad guy basically screwed him with fans. Not sure if that was the intent or not, but it was the result.
Batman owning several Hyperclan members (which is to say white Martians) in their inaugural story SHOULD have had the same effect, but it didnt, as theyre still treated as legit threats in-universe/by fans.

staxamillion
id like to know when beast got deflated or has he underperformed physically since the beginning

golem370
Champion's loss to She Hulk? Squirrel Girl and Ka-Zar beating Thanos?

riv6672
That Ka-Zar loss was so humiliating Starlin had to retcon it to save his and Thanos' linked manhoods. thumb up

carver9
Sebastian Shaw vs Namor
Abomination vs Wolverine
Magneto vs Psylock

Supermutant
GL Hal killing a Guardian. Cheetah losing to Catwoman and being one-shotted by Batman.

tkitna
Moondragon beating Mantis
Gamora getting stabbed by Wolverine when she was distracted

carver9
Guardians are still considered high trans to Skyfather on KMC and Cheetah is still upper tier here as well.

carver9
Black Panther fight against Storm
Gamora fight against Storm

Supermutant
Originally posted by carver9
Guardians are still considered high trans to Skyfather on KMC and Cheetah is still upper tier here as well.

I don't think people even care about Cheetah here. But on other boards their low showings are brought up a lot.

DarkSaint85
Yeah, its more about their rep.

Why is Masterson Thor considered inferior, for example?

I would put Fantomex against Psylocke here as well.

How about BP dismissing Karnak with his boards don't hit back quote?

Supermutant
Black Panther fight against Storm
Gamora fight against Storm

Wasn't Gamora amped by the Black Vortex and could teleport?
BP vs Storm was just a lover's quarrel. Who is putting much stock into that?

golem370
I think Gladiator being stopped by Cannonball was a low point for him and a stock rise to CB.

staxamillion
SpeedBall utterly sucked post the first marvel civil war. he was somewhat ok before

Philosophía
I honestly think that Thor being physically inferior to Hulk is now done, and this was the grave stone:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/46949/1816140-hulk_thor_3.jpg

Power Cosmic II
It's maybe too early to tell if it's "permanent" but one can make a case that the Living Tribunal's defeat at the hands of 3 beyonders has marred his reputation.

His reputation as Marvel's most powerful being was largely solidified by two feats: his indisputable judgments over the Infinity Gauntlet and his ability to resist the longest against the Heart of the Universe.

That 3 run of the mill beings from a race of thousands/millions killed him suggests the Tribunal's power is mathematically approaching zero when compared with the beyonder race.

The beyonders running roughshod over the MU is fine. But the Tribunal dying off panel in original sin, only to be revealed dying on panel a year after the fact at the hands of 3 beyonders, shatters his reputation.

celeyhyga17
http://www.4thletter.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ohkyle.jpg

Estacado
Darkseid beaten by Superman.

Smurph
Magneto vs Psylock Which fight?

carver9
Originally posted by Supermutant
Wasn't Gamora amped by the Black Vortex and could teleport?
BP vs Storm was just a lover's quarrel. Who is putting much stock into that?

Yep. She was supposedly a Herald which made the showing even worse. People tend to bring it up all of the time.

Same with Storm and BP...people mention it all of the time.

carver9
Originally posted by Smurph
Which fight?

They had 2 fights? I'm talking about the one she jumped on debris to get to him.

-K-M-
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/120293/4866853-thing+vs+sasquatch.jpg

Doesn't matter that Thing himself has said he is weaker then Sasquatch, Super Skrull with Thing's strength saying he was weaker, Ranark saying Walter was stronger then Thing, and how Walter destroyed Exo-Suit Thing ("at least 90% as strong" as his original body), and Exiles Sasquatch got the better of 616 Thing twice...people always remember this scan above all else

golem370
I like seeing Thing being shown respect.

Smurph
They had 2 fights? I'm talking about the one she jumped on debris to get to him. Meh. He's still Magneto.

This thread asked for a showing that permanently damaged a character's rep, and instead just got a lot of low showings for fave characters.

celeyhyga17
Meh. He's still Magneto.

This thread asked for a showing that permanently damaged a character's rep, and instead just got a lot of low showings for fave characters.
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
http://www.4thletter.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ohkyle.jpg

Try comin bak from that.

*cringe*

JayDaDon
Lol sounds like something Ennis wrote.

wuleecat
For a while, Marvel Ares had some potential.

wuleecat
Sorry had a blip...

Anyway, he was looking pretty good even though he was a douche. Another god, great scrapper, cool weapons, got stuck in when there was a brawl, all in all he had the makings of someone who might legitimately grow into a character with something interesting about him.

Then Sentry ripped him in half, and it was all downhill from there.

DarkSaint85
Meh. He's still Magneto.

thumb up Some people can't read.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Yeah, but Flash has enough showings that we all know its BS (like Hulk and the snake).

OP isn't asking for low showings. He's asking for showings that downgrade a characters entire history.

Kingpin being one of them. Marvel don't make a distinction between classic Kingpin and current Kingpin...but somewhere along the line, there's a clear line between his classic days and now.

I don't think his stock went down. He still wrecks any street. Parker was always above him

krisblaze
Yeah, its more about their rep.

Why is Masterson Thor considered inferior, for example?

I would put Fantomex against Psylocke here as well.

How about BP dismissing Karnak with his boards don't hit back quote?

Masterson was a shitshow from one end to the other though.

I can think of at least 3 Firelord vs Spidey type fights there.

krisblaze
Speaking of Thor he has been down in the shitter for some time now.

Both he and Thanos were treated pretty poorly by Bendis.

Parmaniac
Mr X and Quicksilver? When QS wrecked him with a steelpipe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.