Strengths in these areas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Which areas would Marvel or DC have the Advantage over the other. Broken down in categories.

Speed

Strength

Magic

Cosmics

Intellect

Martial artist

Artifacts

Which areas does DC prevail over Marvel and Marvel prevails over DC? Please use an overall perspective when providing your answer. Don't base it on just one character.

-Pr-
I assume you mean in terms of power rather than quality of characters etc. right?

Dareangel
Speed - DC

Strength - Tie

Magic - DC (Just because of the 5 IMP's)

Cosmics - Marvel

Intellect - Dont Know

Martial Artists - Depends on what you mean by that. if the more powerful martial artists then DC because of karate kid. if we are talking about more martial artists or interesting ones i would say its Tie.

Artifacts - Dont know

TethAdamTheRock
Which areas would Marvel or DC have the Advantage over the other. Broken down in categories.

Speed DC

Strength DC

Magic DC

Cosmics Marvel

Intellect Tie

Martial artist DC

Artifacts DC

Which areas does DC prevail over Marvel and Marvel prevails over DC? Please use an overall perspective when providing your answer. Don't base it on just one character.

spetznaz
Good thread, especially if people keep it objective.

Speed - probably the easiest of the bunch. DC takes this one, primarily due to the Speed Force (and similar effect mechanisms, like Zoom's time manipulation). Then there is the fact that DC tends to stack powers for some of their larger heroes, meaning Kryptonians and Daxamites end up having serious speed as well, those empowered by the powers of Shazam, even the likes of Diana and Jjon have been shown with serious levels of superspeed (read: fast enough to make characters like Quick silver appear slow). Now, Marvel also has some fast speeds (especially Flash analogues like the Runner or Superman analogues like Gladiator), but generally this goes to DC.

Strength - this is trickier due to the 'importance' strength seems to have in forums. More importantly, there's a difference between who has more strength on median versus in aggregate. In aggregate I believe the two universes are equal, but if you took the median DC wins. Why? As I said on another thread, DC characters like Aquaman seem 'weak' largely because they are in teams that have earth shakers. Colossus, Strong Guy, Rogue, the Thing, Wonderman are just some of Marvel characters that have a lot of super strength. However, a character like Aquaman has strength feats that are higher. DC simply starts their characters higher than Marvel does, and by the time you get to tiers above Aquaman you're getting crazy strength levels. Now, Marvel has some characters like the Hulk that lack upper limits, but starting base levels are different as can be seen by comparing Colossus with Aquaman.

Magic - I would say equal. Fans from either universe will bring their best Fate or Strange feats, and go to secondary and tertiary magic users. But they are about the same.

Cosmics - Marvel takes this one. Like mutants, cosmics is an area that Marvek has done a lot of work on. Sure, DC does have several cosmics, but Marvel fleshed out the genre in my opinion. Sure, DC has the GL corps and associated colors, but Marvel has all sorts of different types ranging from the heralds of Big G, to the Nova corps, wielders of quantum and nega bands, and even some mutants that have reality powers that are similar to cosmic abilities. Marvel owns this.
Cosmics

Intellect - Marvel again. This is similar to strength but in the opposite direction. DC has some super smart people like Alexander Luther and Braniac 13, but Marvel owns smarts. Starting from th Tony Starks (and associated Iron man characters like the new girl), to the likes of Reed and Doom, Marvel has the 'median' on smarts even if the 'aggregate total' is equal. This also spills over to technology.

Martial artist - This is an interesting one. The likes of Karate Kid mean DC will almost always take number one position, with the likes of Batman One Million coming close. However, Marvel has a lot of martial artists ranging from the Moon Dragons and Gamoras to the Shang Chis and Daniel Rands to the Matt Murdocks and Elektras all the way down to basic hand ninjas. However, DC also has a lot of martial artists from the Lady's Shivas and (both) Richard Dragons, to the Constantine Drakons and Cassandra Cains, to the Bronze Tigers and Senseis, to the Silver and Bamboo monkeys, all the way to the Shrikes and Onyxs. So, both universes are equal in my opinion ...it is just that on any list the number one will be Karate Kid.

Artifacts - this is Marvel, again because of median vs aggregate. Power is equal between the two, but Marvel has made more mention of different artifacts of magic and/or power.

Dareangel
Originally posted by spetznaz

Speed - probably the easiest of the bunch. DC takes this one, primarily due to the Speed Force (and similar effect mechanisms, like Zoom's time manipulation). Then there is the fact that DC tends to stack powers for some of their larger heroes, meaning Kryptonians and Daxamites end up having serious speed as well, those empowered by the powers of Shazam, even the likes of Diana and Jjon have been shown with serious levels of superspeed (read: fast enough to make characters like Quick silver appear slow). Now, Marvel also has some fast speeds (especially Flash analogues like the Runner or Superman analogues like Gladiator), but generally this goes to DC.

Strength - this is trickier due to the 'importance' strength seems to have in forums. More importantly, there's a difference between who has more strength on median versus in aggregate. In aggregate I believe the two universes are equal, but if you took the median DC wins. Why? As I said on another thread, DC characters like Aquaman seem 'weak' largely because they are in teams that have earth shakers. Colossus, Strong Guy, Rogue, the Thing, Wonderman are just some of Marvel characters that have a lot of super strength. However, a character like Aquaman has strength feats that are higher. DC simply starts their characters higher than Marvel does, and by the time you get to tiers above Aquaman you're getting crazy strength levels. Now, Marvel has some characters like the Hulk that lack upper limits, but starting base levels are different as can be seen by comparing Colossus with Aquaman.

Magic - I would say equal. Fans from either universe will bring their best Fate or Strange feats, and go to secondary and tertiary magic users. But they are about the same.

Cosmics - Marvel takes this one. Like mutants, cosmics is an area that Marvek has done a lot of work on. Sure, DC does have several cosmics, but Marvel fleshed out the genre in my opinion. Sure, DC has the GL corps and associated colors, but Marvel has all sorts of different types ranging from the heralds of Big G, to the Nova corps, wielders of quantum and nega bands, and even some mutants that have reality powers that are similar to cosmic abilities. Marvel owns this.
Cosmics

Intellect - Marvel again. This is similar to strength but in the opposite direction. DC has some super smart people like Alexander Luther and Braniac 13, but Marvel owns smarts. Starting from th Tony Starks (and associated Iron man characters like the new girl), to the likes of Reed and Doom, Marvel has the 'median' on smarts even if the 'aggregate total' is equal. This also spills over to technology.

Martial artist - This is an interesting one. The likes of Karate Kid mean DC will almost always take number one position, with the likes of Batman One Million coming close. However, Marvel has a lot of martial artists ranging from the Moon Dragons and Gamoras to the Shang Chis and Daniel Rands to the Matt Murdocks and Elektras all the way down to basic hand ninjas. However, DC also has a lot of martial artists from the Lady's Shivas and (both) Richard Dragons, to the Constantine Drakons and Cassandra Cains, to the Bronze Tigers and Senseis, to the Silver and Bamboo monkeys, all the way to the Shrikes and Onyxs. So, both universes are equal in my opinion ...it is just that on any list the number one will be Karate Kid.

Artifacts - this is Marvel, again because of median vs aggregate. Power is equal between the two, but Marvel has made more mention of different artifacts of magic and/or power.

Do you believe batman 1 million stack up?

spetznaz
Originally posted by Dareangel
Do you believe batman 1 million stack up?

Let me answer you on the other thread you created on BM1M so as not to take Carver's thread off tangent. So far the answers have been interesting

carver9
Originally posted by -Pr-
I assume you mean in terms of power rather than quality of characters etc. right?

Yep.

carver9
Originally posted by spetznaz

Cosmics

Good post.

riv6672
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=602188&highlight=Monopolies

Knock yourself out.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
In terms of power?

Speed: DC

Strength: Not sure

Magic: Similar

Cosmics: DC in an epic stomp

Intellect: Marvel

Martial Arts: DC

Artifacts: Not sure, probably Marvel

Prof. T.C McAbe
Speed - DC, Flash, Speedforce, the definition of speed.

Strength - DC, Superman, the definition of strength and many other strong bricks.

Magic - Tough one, if you consider 5D "Magic" yeah DC easily, though Spectre etc. are also considered magical.

Cosmics - Marvel, easily.

Intellect - Tie. B13, Reed...

Martial artist - DC, Karate Kid

Artifacts - Marvel imho, HOTU, IG, UN play a way bigger role.

TethAdamTheRock
DC has Lantern Rings (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Black, White etc), Mother Box, Anti Life Equation, Godwave, Speedforce, Cosmic Armor, Kryptonite, Mobius Chair etc

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
DC has Lantern Rings (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Black, White etc), Mother Box, Anti Life Equation, Godwave, Speedforce, Cosmic Armor, Kryptonite, Mobius Chair etc

And for Magic you have The Quintessence, Highfather, Zeus, Darksied, Ares, Yuga Khan, Trigon, Raven, Mxy, The Mask, Dr Fate, Captain Marvel etc

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock

Yes, yes but for me Marvel Cosmics are just comic perfection, or they were before the latest debacles. But the classic cosmology was clear cut, hierachy, roles and importance. I couldn't imagine something more perfect. DC was always a mess, cosmics and magic so intertwined, roles not so clearly cut, cosmics appearing for an arc to be never seen again. So, yes maybe powerwise one can find the corresponding artefacts and cosmics but the way they were treated or portrayed (continuously) is not DC strength IMHO.

mighty adam
Originally posted by carver9

Speed

Strength

Magic

Cosmics

Intellect

Martial artist

Artifacts

Speed dc
Strength dc
Magic dc
Cosmics draw of slight win for marvel
Intellect marvel
MA marvel
Artifacts marvel

Whos better or would win in a all out fight?

Tie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.