Uncompromising power...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gadabout
Just wondering who has the most uncompromising power, meaning there is little to no control of it's destructive power.
This is not necessarily about the most powerful but what has been shown with little to no "throttle"

My favorite as always been Black bolts voice. Although he can throttle it some, then it's classic Thor's god blast which is always shown at full throttle (except that weakened version against Juggy)

in fact see if you can defeat my team with all combatants using only the prescribed ability.
My squad

Blackbolt using his voice only
Asgardian Destroyer using the disintergator beam only
classic Thor using the god blast only

Galan007
Captain Atom.

TethAdamTheRock
Cyclops should be number 1

bluewaterrider
Rogue, after she has touched and taken the power of:

-- Allison Blair, The X-Men's Dazzler, who converts sonic energy to light,.
I seem to remember Black Bolt and she actually performed this maneuver so Allison could create a superblast or some other action that needed her hyper-powered.

-- Superboy Prime, who is largely immune to destructive magic, for reasons that have yet to be fully explained

-- Classic Juggernaut, who already endured Thor's ultimate attack in their 1st engagement, which I believe took place in one of the first New Warriors titles, to little effect.

TethAdamTheRock
Is this who is the most powerful, or who has the least control over their powers?

Gadabout
What ability does SBP have which would qualify here? It has to be something which virtually uncontrollable.

Gadabout
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Is this who is the most powerful, or who has the least control over their powers?

More least control....Thor has never been shown to "throttle" his God blast...he just unleashes it. Unlike when he hits with his hammer.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Gadabout
What ability does SBP have which would qualify here? It has to be something which virtually uncontrollable.

confused

Perhaps you were thrown off by my using Rogue, who used to have little or no control over her ability to absorb the memories, consciousness, powers and abilities of others.

I wasn't answering your 1st question of who has power equally or more unmanageable. I was answering your 2nd question of who could beat your team.

Review what you wrote in your original post:

in fact see if you can defeat my team with all combatants using only the prescribed ability.
My squad

Blackbolt using his voice only
Asgardian Destroyer using the disintergator beam only
classic Thor using the god blast only

Gadabout
Yeah I think I understood...but perhaps I didn't make it clear. SBP can only use an ability of which he has very little control. I get Juggs...and even Rogue, just not SBP. He has a high level of conscious control over his speed/strength/heat vision, ect...

Stoic
Jean Grey in possession of the Phoenix Force (*when she first got the power)
Starbrand (when Kevin or Ken first got the power)
Moses Magnum (when he lost control of his power)

That's all I got.

carver9
Colossonaut

Gadabout
Well there's one DC character I can think of...Darkseid's omega beams...I don't believe there's much "range" of impact. I don't think he could use them to simply knock out an opponent-or am I wrong.

bluewaterrider
Well there's one DC character I can think of...Darkseid's omega beams...I don't believe there's much "range" of impact. I don't think he could use them to simply knock out an opponent-or am I wrong.

Probably wrong.

He can direct them and make them "track" people and apparently control their properties, for instance, opting to have them teleport instead of conventionally annihilating:

https://s6d7.turboimg.net/t1/34651713_image.jpg

To be fair, though, teleportation is often conceived a la Star Trek as breaking down material into atoms and re-assembling them in another location ...
It's possible to argue if we're JUST going by the above showing that Darkseid totally destroyed Superman but then decided to recreate him on Earth or wherever it is Superman was sent to.

I seem to remember Doomsday was defeated once with a similar trick, with a set of teleporters continually and instantaneously "looping" him so that he simply never effectively re materialized, thus remaining "destroyed" indefinitely.

tkitna
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/nxiub_202.jpg

https://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/125392/5548509-4769063491-12819.jpg

Galan007
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
I seem to remember Doomsday was defeated once with a similar trick, with a set of teleporters continually and instantaneously "looping" him so that he simply never effectively re materialized, thus remaining "destroyed" indefinitely. In a nutshell thumb up

https://s6d8.turboimg.net/t1/34656378_Superman_-_The_Doomsday_Wars_003-039.jpg https://s6d8.turboimg.net/t1/34656383_Superman_-_The_Doomsday_Wars_003-040.jpg

wuleecat
There's a few characters who have an offensive power that doesn't have any sort of 'dial', it's either 'on' or 'off'. It either works or it doesn't. Gorgon's stone stare for instance. I can't remember it ever semi-transmuting someone. Or Ghost Rider's Penance Stare too. That doesn't have 'levels' does it?

bluewaterrider
Omega Red.

The only people I've seen survive his so-called "death factor" are people with healing factors that effectively make them immortal (Sabretooth, Wolverine), and the X-Men's Psylocke, who used her power to essentially, telepathically, block Omega from using his power--even while making him THINK he actually had.

Despite being regarded as a lunatic, and, IIRC, a mass-murderer as Arkady, Omega Red's actual death count is lower than that of Sabretooth or Wolverine, due to nothing I can find other than his own restraint.
Except for the above mentioned people, I've actually never seen him try to use anything save standard "Doctor Octopus"-style attacks with his tentacles in modern times.

DarkSaint85
AQUARIAN!!!

Who would also defeat your team, btw.

-Pr-
Originally posted by carver9
Colossonaut

...He could literally turn it off whenever he wanted.

riv6672
The kid from Ultimate X-Men Vol 1, 41, woke up with whats basically a death field.

http://i.imgur.com/pCqyz6Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t1k0cTQ.jpg

-Pr-
thumb up good pick.

riv6672
Thanks. thumb up

It was a jacked up power...
http://i.imgur.com/lXHNX8G.jpg

staxamillion
didn't havok have a problem with how powerful his blasts were and were afraid to use them?

riv6672
All those Summers brothers have problem blowing their loads. huh

-Pr-
Originally posted by riv6672
Thanks. thumb up

http://i.imgur.com/lXHNX8G.jpg

Yeah, back when Ultimate X-Men was actually good.

bluewaterrider
That kid from Ultimate X-Men #41 ...

1. That's basically Omega Red to an even more uncontrollable and tragic degree.

2. I knew how the tale would end the moment I saw Wolverine and the kid's dialogue.

3. That is a really jacked up story.

riv6672
1. Except better written than OR has ever been. Maybe if OR had had the decency to die in his first appearance...stick out tongue

2. Yeah, it was gonna be a sucky ending you could tell.

3. See above.

deathslash
Originally posted by riv6672
Thanks. thumb up

http://i.imgur.com/lXHNX8G.jpg really loved that story. It perfectly captures why the world fears and hates mutants while still showing that mutants don't really have much of a choice in what their powers do.

basilisk
Cyclops should be number 1 Good point. When he totally cuts loose with his judo skills everybody watch out.

How about Johnny Sorrow?

TethAdamTheRock
Without his visior hes completley unable to control his power or even see.

Magnon
Brit

Cogito
Orion w/o Mother Box
Michael Demiurgos, sort of

TethAdamTheRock
Angel Dust

-Pr-
Without his visior hes completley unable to control his power or even see.

Huh? Cyclops can see just fine with his visor off. And with it on. And basically anytime his eyes are open.

TethAdamTheRock
I swear i remember him yelling i cant see while blasting away everything with his optic blast, or was that movie version?

he had to keep his eyes shut untill they invented his visor

-Pr-
I swear i remember him yelling i cant see while blasting away everything with his optic blast, or was that movie version?

Hmmm, tbh that does sound familiar, but it would contradict everything we've seen before. I mean, even with his visor on, he's still firing his blasts with his eyes open, so he has to be able to see.

Cogito
I've always been under the impression that Scott could see with his eyes open, he's just firing uncontrollably at the same time so without his visor or glasses he closes his eyes (and thus can't see).

-Pr-
Originally posted by Cogito
I've always been under the impression that Scott could see with his eyes open, he's just firing uncontrollably at the same time so without his visor or glasses he closes his eyes (and thus can't see).

That's how it's been represented for pretty much all of his history, yes.

TethAdamTheRock
Thought it was the visor that allowed him to see?

basilisk
Without his visior hes completley unable to control his power or even see. Oh OK, thought you were referring to his mad judo skills which do tend to overshadow his other powers.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Hmmm, tbh that does sound familiar, but it would contradict everything we've seen before. I mean, even with his visor on, he's still firing his blasts with his eyes open, so he has to be able to see. That comment about him saying he can't see when firing does ring a bell actually, but I can't remember if it was some old comic, or one of the movies or cartoons or what.

But no, it doesn't seem to be how Cyke was generally portrayed in his history. He tracks moving targets while he's firing for starters.

TethAdamTheRock
Because of his Visor, without it he has no control over his powers

-Pr-
Originally posted by basilisk
Oh OK, thought you were referring to his mad judo skills which do tend to overshadow his other powers.

That comment about him saying he can't see when firing does ring a bell actually, but I can't remember if it was some old comic, or one of the movies or cartoons or what.

But no, it doesn't seem to be how Cyke was generally portrayed in his history. He tracks moving targets while he's firing for starters.

Yup.

Because of his Visor, without it he has no control over his powers

But his eyes are still open either way.

staxamillion
he can see without his visor. iirc he had an injury as a child that cut off his control of the optic blasts subconsciously. if im not mistaken he would be just fine without the injury. Sight-wise anyways

-Pr-
Originally posted by staxamillion
he can see without his visor. iirc he had an injury as a child that cut off his control of the optic blasts subconsciously. if im not mistaken he would be just fine without the injury. Sight-wise anyways

Pretty much. Though Astonishing X-Men kind of got a bit weird about that too.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by staxamillion
iirc he had an injury as a child that cut off his control of the optic blasts subconsciously.

Marvel's not exactly consistent about that (see Mimic), but yeah. Injury happened when he parachuted with Alex, right Pr?

-Pr-
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Marvel's not exactly consistent about that (see Mimic), but yeah. Injury happened when he parachuted with Alex, right Pr?

Yeah. Last time I checked, his powers flared up early (he was like, well below teen at the time). The blast somehow slowed their descent, but he was injured and in a coma for a while.

riv6672
Originally posted by deathslash
really loved that story. It perfectly captures why the world fears and hates mutants while still showing that mutants don't really have much of a choice in what their powers do.
Me too, and for the exact same reasons.
It really stuck with me for a long time.

TethAdamTheRock
Banner

LordofBrooklyn
Wildfire

TethAdamTheRock
Pheonix Jean Grey

Genii96
Cyclops has zero control over his. Made even worse after the phoenix saga

He did manage to control it once though

riv6672
So, Cyclops, blond? Not blind? Color blind?

DarkSaint85
Aquarian makes everyone weak, and he is unable to control who it affects:

https://s5.postimg.org/x9we1y7pz/M2_N1-_V1-058-007.jpg

Even if it is to save himself:

https://s5.postimg.org/he2ykwrrr/Quasar04_014.jpg

All he can do is vary its range. That's it.

staxamillion
forgetmenot

StyleTime
Originally posted by -Pr-
Pretty much. Though Astonishing X-Men kind of got a bit weird about that too.
At least we got a really good story out of it.

These days we get Inhumans vs X-Men. sad

Ambient
Nitro comes to mind.

Ambient
Gambit ..

Ambient
And most defntly Jessica Alba big grin .. Can't get anymore destructive than her

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Aquarian makes everyone weak, and he is unable to control who it affects:

Even if it is to save himself:

All he can do is vary its range. That's it.
Nooice. thumb up

abhilegend
Originally posted by Ambient
And most defntly Jessica Alba big grin .. Can't get anymore destructive than her
droolio

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.