Star Wars Legends

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SunRazer
So it seems like officially, Legends doesn't actually include TCW. Or the films (but the film novelizations/junior novel/graphic novels are included).

I know this is old stuff but we keep bringing up TCW in Legends debates, so I wanted to create this thread to settle it. Do you reckon we can include the films and TCW in Legends-only discussions, or are they canon only?

DarthAnt66
I mentioned this to DMB the other day.

However, if you think about it, a lot is made canonical anyway.

The films have trading cards, action figures, picture guides, audio-dramas, novels, comics, etc. that tell the story.

The TV show has the TCW novel, various TCW junior novels, and some novels and comics on Maul's return.

DarthAnt66
However, I fully think we should ignore TCW when discussing Legends.

SunRazer
What about the six films? Because Legends doesn't officially include them; it's everything outside of the films, TCW and newly released media.

I'm in agreement with you on TCW, though. Legends should be the Clone Wars timeline prior to TCW, ie. with Adi Gallia being killed by Grievous and all the previous backstories before TCW retconned them.

S W LeGenD
Is TCW not obviously T-canon?

Edit - What are you guys talking about lol?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by SunRazer
What about the six films? Because Legends doesn't officially include them; it's everything outside of the films, TCW and newly released media.
The films are told to the panel with all the other Legends content, tbh. Would be no difference ignore them or not.

SunRazer
Originally posted by S W LeGenD
Is TCW not obviously T-canon?

Edit - What are you guys talking about lol?

That canon hierarchy was abolished. In both Legends and Canon, everything is equally valid now. There's no hierarchy of canon anymore.

SunRazer
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
The films are told to the panel with all the other Legends content, tbh. Would be no difference ignore them or not.

No idea what you mean.

It's clear that the movie novelizations (adult, junior and graphic) are Legends, because some new ones are being released for the films. However, the films themselves remain canon and aren't labelled as Legends in any source. So would they be excluded?

SunRazer
Right now, I feel like the films should be counted but TCW shouldn't.

S W LeGenD
I thought Legends canon was simply the old canon prior to the reboot, plus any future stuff published under the Legends banner (or clearly continueing on from the old continuity, such as TOR)?

DarthAnt66
No idea what you mean.

It's clear that the movie novelizations (adult, junior and graphic) are Legends, because some new ones are being released for the films. However, the films themselves remain canon and aren't labelled as Legends in any source. So would they be excluded?
Yeah. But the films have picture books and audio-dramas, so every element of the films would be canonized.

SunRazer
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Yeah. But the films have picture books and audio-dramas, so every element of the films would be canonized.

Certain details are absent.

But you do think the films should be excluded? Interesting.

SunRazer
Since certain Legends sourcebooks refer directly to aspects of the films that may or may not be mentioned in other Legends renditions of the films, I reckon the films themselves should still be considered.

TCW, on the other hand, can probably be ignored completely.

Zenwolf
Source for all of this?(If so, I told you guys that TCW shouldn't be) Anyway the original 6 films are obviously still apart of Legends, the new ones obviously are not, just Canon. Don't see any real reason to exclude the original 6 movies from Legends.

UCanShootMyNova
Legends for me is everything up to the Disney buyout. Canon for me is TCW, the movies, the novels where they don't contradict and everything made after the Disney buyout. So yes, I do consider TCW apart of Legends continuity just as I consider the movie apart of Legends continuity.

ares834
Legends doesn't refer to a universe but rather the non-canon elements of the old EU. So no, TCW and the films are not "legends" as they are instead canon.

Personally, the whole point is stupid as Legends isn't canon so to treat it as some other universe is borderline moronic. Best just to use the old EU methods and go from there.

Beniboybling
thumb up

But no, Legends content published concurrently with TCW was made to align with it, so it doesn't make sense to ignore it.

Azronger
Yeah, TCW and supplementary material like the novelizations and comics are Legends.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Beniboybling
thumb up

But no, Legends content published concurrently with TCW was made to align with it, so it doesn't make sense to ignore it.
Beni, this is clearly about ignoring the ROTS film in favor of Anakin/Dooku wank in the novel

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by ares834
Legends doesn't refer to a universe but rather the non-canon elements of the old EU. So no, TCW and the films are not "legends" as they are instead canon.

Personally, the whole point is stupid as Legends isn't canon so to treat it as some other universe is borderline moronic. Best just to use the old EU methods and go from there.

Legends is just the old EU. Just because some some stuff from it was canonized doesn't mean they're no longer apart of it. There's Legend/Old EU continuity and Canon continuity. It's not difficult.

Beniboybling
Exactly, and the EU was built around the movies and the tv show.

ares834
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Legends is just the old EU. Just because some some stuff from it was canonized doesn't mean they're no longer apart of it. There's Legend/Old EU continuity and Canon continuity. It's not difficult.

Yeah. That's sorta my point.

Though, technically neither TCW nor the films are "Legends".

Zenwolf
So what's the source that says TCW isn't Legends Razer?

SunRazer
The one that says Legends is everything except the movies, TCW and newer material. lol

I'm just wondering what you guys thought was reasonable to consider and what to dismiss. I was kind of hoping that we could have the EU universe prior to all of TCW's retcons.

SunRazer
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Beni, this is clearly about ignoring the ROTS film in favor of Anakin/Dooku wank in the novel

How the **** does Dooku get wanked in the novel? And Anakin gets wanked no matter how you cut it, lol.

Zenwolf
The one that says Legends is everything except the movies, TCW and newer material. lol

I'm just wondering what you guys thought was reasonable to consider and what to dismiss. I was kind of hoping that we could have the EU universe prior to all of TCW's retcons.

Oh, thought there was something new to it. I wouldn't mind that, I go with that pretty much anyway frankly. There's too much pre-TCW material to just ignore.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.