My Stance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UCanShootMyNova

Emperordmb
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/shia.gif

MythLord
Nobody cares.

ares834
Go read some Ayn Rand or something. Christ.

SunRazer
Stinks of naivety.

Total Warrior
That's a very barbaric method to deal with criminal, which takes us back to middle age. If you are interested I suggest you read Becarria's "Dei Delitti e delle pene". Beccaria was an Italian philosopher who lived in the 18th century and in that book (don't know its title in English) he was one of the first to address this subject. In the end, both him (and those who followed him) came to the conclusion that a life sentence, basically obliging a person to stay in jail for the rest of their life, or a very long time aniway (like 30 years) is far worse than killing the criminal (and he said in the 1700s, when there was still death sentence in the Italian states), because limiting the individual's liberty, of movement, of doing anything he wants) is far worse than death. Think about it, is it worse to spend the rest of your life in a little room, without seeing your friends, your relatives, despised by all those around you, or suffer for a few seconds, maybe minutes and then die? Maybe death is more scary, and you would choose jail over death sentence every day of the week, but trust me in the long term you' re gonna break and ask for death rather than staying one day longer locked away. Then you also have the swedish point of view. Swedish people don't see a criminal ( especially murderers' psychopaths etc) only as threat to society, but they see in these individuals also the enbodiment of their failures. Basically, according to Sweden (and according to many other EU countries too) even the government must have an active role in formation of the individual, of the citizen, through school and other initiatives. If a person grows older and becomes a ferocious murderer it's also the country's fault ( I'd say at least 50% of the fault is of the country, the rest is of the parents, friends etc) because its government, its society wasn't able to look after this person, to nurture him/her, to understand his/her background and what went wrong in their way to become an adult. Because I think we can all agree no one was born evil or good, it's the experiences, the education we receive that shape our personality. So, according to Swedish, you don't put a person in jail only to punish them, but it also represents a second chance for the country to nurture this individual, to give him the education he/she lacked in their childhood, to atone for not being able to support him/her in their youth. Basically Jail should not be seen as a pushinmemt, but also as a "school", where qualified personnel (psychologists, doctors etc) talk with you, try to understand what's wrong and try to put you back in right path.

darthbane77
Skipping over the courts, if I'm taking this the right way, would completely avoid due process. The U.S is governed, generally, by a simple rule, innocent until proven guilty. What you're suggesting is assuming guilt until innocence is proven, but if we assume guilt immediately, punishment is delivered sooner and the victim of said punishment has no chance to prove their innocence, if they are in fact innocent. While I agree with the methods of execution, the circumvention of due process is something that can't be allowed to occur.

As far as punishment goes, the concept of an eye for an eye is something I find appealing, and is something I believe would reduce crime spectacularly. The problem with the nation now is that criminals don't fear the law. So, we should make them fear it by introducing barbaric methods. If you steal, you lose a hand, if you kill, you are killed, etc. Some people might try quoting Gandhi's famous "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind", but that idea isn't really true. If we were to consider it literally, an eye for an eye still leave each person with one eye. Personally, I would not be at all opposed to the reintroduction of execution methods like hangings, beheading, and Crucifixion. Yes, they're barbaric, but they're also terrifying. A person who is afraid of a crime's punishment, is a person who is less likely to commit a crime and risk receiving that punishment.

Ultimately, the courts are needed, due process is needed. But when guilt IS proven, we should be allowed to go no holds barred. If a rapist is proven guilty, chop their dick off, if a murderer is convicted, take them out back and shoot them in the head, etc.

cs_zoltan
Syn can't die soon enough.

Beniboybling
I assume he's joking, or copied and pasted this from some other moron. eek!

cs_zoltan
That doesn't change my stance.

Beniboybling
smile thumb up

Azronger
Originally posted by Beniboybling

Guess who uhuh

Zenwolf
This doesn't belong here.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Beniboybling

Don't you call our lord and savior Azrazeyourdongers a moron. His genius remains unmatched throughout the SW debating community.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by darthbane77
But when guilt IS proven, we should be allowed to go no holds barred. If a rapist is proven guilty, chop their dick off, if a murderer is convicted, take them out back and shoot them in the head, etc.

0-0

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by cs_zoltan

Tbh I'm sitting in the corner of my room waiting for Azronger to bust down my door and force me into slave labor for showing him disrespect.

DarthAnt66
LMFAO AZRONGER.

TenebrousWay
Nothing but a divagation (and arrogance) from a liberal, middle class, college student with plenty free time that never had to do eight hours of hard labour a single day in his life.

Emperordmb
Don't worry Syn, I reshpect you smile

UCanShootMyNova
Lmao. thumb up

UCanShootMyNova
Show Ashronger da reshpect he desherves.

Emperordmb
Dude Syn hangouts I need to tell you something.

Emperordmb
Sent you an excerpt Syn smile

UCanShootMyNova
Gross.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by cs_zoltan

Tbhh

NTJack0
https://media.giphy.com/media/SWjCswum5dc0E/giphy.gif

Kurk
Completely agree with this minus the wanting to implement the Code of Hammurabi punishments. If you want Sharia law go move to Iran or Saudi Arabia.

The majority of people are unable to think for themselves and let social trends and cues drive their decisions.

My belief is that it's completely justifiable to take advantage of morons and that's exactly what I plan to do.

UCanShootMyNova
You think students should be enslaved for disrespecting a teacher? :/

Kurk
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
You think students should be enslaved for disrespecting a teacher? :/ wth are you talking about?

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Kurk
wth are you talking about?

"Similarly, if they interrupt lessons and harass teachers, their right to learn should be stripped from them and they should be put to slave labor. Only through hard work could they earn the right to study again."

Emperordmb
Hangouts?

UCanShootMyNova
Nah. Hitting the hay early tonight.

Kurk
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
"Similarly, if they interrupt lessons and harass teachers, their right to learn should be stripped from them and they should be put to slave labor. Only through hard work could they earn the right to study again." I literally said minus the code of Hammuarabi stuff. So no.

Raptor22
Originally posted by SunRazer
Stinks of naivety.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Kurk
I literally said minus the code of Hammuarabi stuff. So no.

Oh thank god.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.