Alan Scot vs Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Who is taking this? Let's use Alan before the reboot.

Galan007
Originally posted by carver9
Let's use Alan before the reboot. *GASP* What a phucking homophobe!!!

http://i.imgur.com/meh216Ah.jpg

You clearly hate the gays... sly

beatboks
Title needs to be edited to Abhi vs me

Damborgson
Originally posted by Galan007
*GASP* What a phucking homophobe!!!

They changed his sexual preference with the reboot?

-sigh- I'll get the bible.

Galan007
Oh yeah. Alan luvz dat butsecks nowadays.

DarkSaint85
Is Alan Scot OneAngry?

Galan007
http://i.imgur.com/PFBDYMi.gif

abhilegend
Originally posted by beatboks
Title needs to be edited to Abhi vs me
ermm

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Is Alan Scot OneAngry?

mad

leonidas
one of my favourite recent threads. laughing out loud

cdtm
Oh yeah. Alan luvz dat butsecks nowadays.

...what about Jade? Or Obsidian?

Cogito
Originally posted by cdtm
...what about Jade? Or Obsidian? I don't think the buttsex with dudes can make babies so...they out confused

riv6672
Originally posted by Cogito
I don't think the buttsex with dudes can make babies so...they out confused
Buttsex with girls doesnt make babies either.

Anyhow, if there's one GL i'd give the win to over Superman, it'd be Alan.

beatboks
Originally posted by abhilegend
ermm

What's so hard to understand? I'm the biggest Alan Scot fanboy I've seen on any forum.

DarkSaint85
Really????? I find that hard to believe.

Dramatic Gecko
*GASP* What a phucking homophobe!!!

I clearly need to read this comic.

Rao Kal El
Both pre rebbot Alan and new 52 Alan are vulnerable to wood... stick out tongue

Cogito
Preboot Alan lost that vulnerability ages ago. Don't know enough about new52 Alan

Raptor22
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Both pre rebbot Alan and new 52 Alan are vulnerable to wood... stick out tongue Lol

abhilegend
What's so hard to understand? I'm the biggest Alan Scot fanboy I've seen on any forum.
ermmno

Prof. T.C McAbe
Alan Scot is used to take it now, it seems. So he takes it from Superman.

-Pr-

Everyone eventually gets known as the "x guy".

Philo is the Superman guy, KM is the Alpha Flight guy, Digi is the Spider-Man guy etc.

If it matters that much, it'll happen eventualy.

Cogito
Originally posted by -Pr-

Philo is the Superman guy

You just crushed Abhi a little bit

Galan007
laughing out loud

DarkSaint85
Ffs. None of you can even spell his name correctly.

beatboks

Philo is the Superman guy, KM is the Alpha Flight guy, Digi is the Spider-Man guy etc.

If it matters that much, it'll happen eventualy.

On 3 other sites I am the Alan guy (getting tagged any time there is a question). Only just realised i rarely debate him here (not many tbreads to do it on). Shouldn't have assumed. And no it doesnt matter.

-Pr-
You just crushed Abhi a little bit

Jokes aside, he's A Superman guy. Just like I'm AN Aquaman guy, but there are at least one or two people who know the character in some ways better than I would.

On 3 other sites I am the Alan guy (getting tagged any time there is a question). Only just realised i rarely debate him here (not many tbreads to do it on). Shouldn't have assumed. And no it doesnt matter.

All right.

DarkSaint85
Just like I'm AN Aquaman guy, but there are at least one or two people who know the character in some ways better than I would..

The air of jellyness in this post....

Mera doesn't count.

-Pr-
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
The air of jellyness in this post....

Mera doesn't count.

lol. In all seriousness, KM would be the guy I would call "THE" guy.

Digi
Yeah, being known as THE GUY for a particular character doesn't necessarily mean you know the most about them. So like, yeah, I'm a Spidey expert compared to most. But he's too popular not to have others who know as much or more. Back in the day, Darkcrawler was a good example - dude had mountains of scans that humbled my recollection of Spidey feats - but he's not been active for years. If there was ever anyone I actually knew the most about, it was slightly off-beat guys like Death's Head II or the Authority. But even they have other superfans (KM ironically among them, at least for Minion).

Anyway, on topic, this is a really, really good fight. I don't think there's a wrong answer, tbh. I'm starting to relent on the Superman hype, and was never really a hater. But Alan was always THE big gun who was a staple on DC's pre-FP Earth, and they gave him the feats to back it up, even if he didn't accumulate the same volume of feats Kal did. His raw power was off the charts, despite not being as versatile as some GLs or Superman at his best.

@ beatboks, it's cool, we know you're the Silver Age guy 'round these parts. And Alan certainly counts, even though he made the transition to the modern age better than most. I'm a big fan of Alan myself, but my knowledge of him is sporadic at best prior to CoIE, and not encyclopedic in any era.

cdtm
I know at least during the late Pre Crisis era, almost right around the time of the COIE, Alan was throwing down with "Nazi" Captain Marvel (Big RED cheese indeed)

And was actually holding his own. All Star Squadron, was it? With a younger Earth 2 Superman who looked just like Byrne Supes?

Of course, that's neither here nor there canon wise. Still pretty neat.

cdtm
Originally posted by carver9
Who is taking this? Let's use Alan before the reboot.

Hawkman may have beaten up Adam, but it's the power in his mace that let him do it.

Essentially, Alan beat Adam by proxy (It could have been a construct that did it, Carter Hall addes NOTHING except the grunt work.)

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
Yeah, being known as THE GUY for a particular character doesn't necessarily mean you know the most about them. So like, yeah, I'm a Spidey expert compared to most. But he's too popular not to have others who know as much or more. Back in the day, Darkcrawler was a good example - dude had mountains of scans that humbled my recollection of Spidey feats - but he's not been active for years. If there was ever anyone I actually knew the most about, it was slightly off-beat guys like Death's Head II or the Authority. But even they have other superfans (KM ironically among them, at least for Minion).

Anyway, on topic, this is a really, really good fight. I don't think there's a wrong answer, tbh. I'm starting to relent on the Superman hype, and was never really a hater. But Alan was always THE big gun who was a staple on DC's pre-FP Earth, and they gave him the feats to back it up, even if he didn't accumulate the same volume of feats Kal did. His raw power was off the charts, despite not being as versatile as some GLs or Superman at his best.

@ beatboks, it's cool, we know you're the Silver Age guy 'round these parts. And Alan certainly counts, even though he made the transition to the modern age better than most. I'm a big fan of Alan myself, but my knowledge of him is sporadic at best prior to CoIE, and not encyclopedic in any era.

That's why I kept it vague. There's more to being a big fan than reading every issue that comes out, and so on.

Sin I AM

😂😂😂

beatboks
I know at least during the late Pre Crisis era, almost right around the time of the COIE, Alan was throwing down with "Nazi" Captain Marvel (Big RED cheese indeed)

And was actually holding his own. All Star Squadron, was it? With a younger Earth 2 Superman who looked just like Byrne Supes?

Of course, that's neither here nor there canon wise. Still pretty neat.

Yeah A.S.S 36 he fights CM briefly after.Supes was stunned. Throughout the fight the spear of destiny controlled cap (because the nazis had somehow separated Cap and Billy and kept billy in Germany) was trying to draw Alan into axis held teritory so that he would fall under the spears power. Batma. Figured it out and had HM stop alan IIRC.

This was set around april/may 1942 (we know issue 22 or 23 was 9th feb 1942 because Johnny quick was after at the sinking of the normandy). That was around the time in the actual Golden Age that Superman's feats were lifting to be more in line with Modern Superman. Cap was shown in that to be pretty equal to Supes. So while Cap and Supes were considerably more powerful than the level of Action 1 we really cant say they were full powered. I know that as late as A.S.S.16 or 17 Superman was still only leaping where as actually flying by theUltranvs America saga (21 -26 and annual 2)

beatboks

JOKE asside Prre reboot wasnt vulnerable. Post sentinel era it was stated the weakness was duento the green flame (good magic that separated itself from the starheart the Guardians formed that was the meteor formed into a lamp and eventually Alan's lantern) was energy of life and couldnt harm life. Wood was the make up of trees so linked to life. Whennhe started tapping the starheart that changed. There are stories posted this change that still showed the wood weekness ( like when exploding boxes temporarily took alan down so Mordru could send the rest of the JSA to relms he'd created so he could fight alan solo). Real reason writers not researching and knowing of the change in story reason John's red condit that this was due to Alan psychologically believing it was still weak while he was in a week and position, tired etc.

We dont have to look far to know that the writer not knowing the character is the fault. The same hack had Alan need a neck brace even though he'd supoosedly been composed of pure energy only for decades (and his form was dependant onnhis will/ thinking- the reason he sometimes appearedyoung andnother times old. Literally how he felt at that moment)

can post scans for any/all this when I get home

beatboks
Can clearly see here that Alan no longer has the wood weakness ( early 90's)

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/weakness%20to%20wood%20gone_2.jpg.html

As for All Star Squadron 36, Superman was still not at the levels we know him today.
http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/All-Star%20Squadron%2036%20-%20Page%2021.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

He was dodging Akk Akk fire on his way into the British aisle.
He was pretty even with Cap throughout the fight in that story. plus Cap wasn't trying to take Alan Down

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/All-Star%20Squadron%2036%20-%20Page%2031.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

But lure the magically powered GL into Axis territory so Hitler would gain control of him.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/All-Star%20Squadron%2036%20-%20Page%2028.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Given that even with Cap obviously holding back it STILL took everything Alan had just to protect himself, and we can see from here that we can't rate Cap as we normally might.

You have to remember Roy Thomas was painstakingly accurate to the history of characters in that book. He wrote stories that explained all the little inconsistencies and tied them together and made sure every character was portrayed at the same level at the same time and changed at the right time. He even incorporated panel shots showing those adventures to place them in a time line and explain character abscences (like Superman Fighting a giant power stone wielding Lex Luthor)

I think it's a safe bett that pre COIE Alan isn't beating any version of Supes. He may have had the advantage of versatility what with matter manip, size changing, intangibility, as well as the usual constructs, force fields and heavy lifting of GL's

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/GreenLanternChangesgoldtopaper.jpg.html?sort=3&o=21

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/greenlanternshrinksthings.jpg.html?sort=3&o=17

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/GreenLanternshrinkshimself.jpg.html?sort=3&o=18

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/AllanScotusestehringforintangibility.jpg.html?sort=3&o=22

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/JSAStrangeAdventures5of6-02.jpg.html?sort=3&o=30

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/AllanvVulcan1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=32

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20Scot/Alanvvulcan2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=33

But pre COIE Alan never opperated on the same level as Superman.

Fortunately Alan got one of the much better upgrades in COIE as opposed to the downgrade many got.

For one thing he became an entity of magical energy

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20IS%20starheart%20energy%202.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20is%20starheart%20energy%203.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Alan%20is%20starheart%20energy.jpg.html

He literally ceases to be when he has no starheart energy.

This to me was just another of many examples of just how poor the writing was under Guggenhiem (who still portrayed the wood weakness)

Like Digi said, I'd say it'c a very close either way fight. I can see ways for either to win based on averages

cdtm
Wonder if Cap's distance from Earth S was a factor? Earth 2 is farther off from S then Earth 1, isn't it?

And Cap was "weakened" to about Supermans level in Earth 1 during their first real throwdown (Weakened meaning he could be hurt and get tired, while in Earth S he's 100% invulnerable and tireless..)

beatboks
Wonder if Cap's distance from Earth S was a factor? Earth 2 is farther off from S then Earth 1, isn't it?

And Cap was "weakened" to about Supermans level in Earth 1 during their first real throwdown (Weakened meaning he could be hurt and get tired, while in Earth S he's 100% invulnerable and tireless..)

As valid a reason as any I suppose. The Upgrades in Superman's power level in print seemed to be around the time Whiz comics first hit with Cap in them, and upgraded seemingly to match him as he was portrayed. I always figured National was just keeping their boy at the peek, so whatever Cap could do So could Clark. That they had started out with Supes being the strongest most durable etc and that was where they expected him to sit.

I can't however think of any IN STORY reason why Cap would be less powerful off earth S.

Pillow Biter
Leaving the magic weakness aside for a bit.

Superman is typically favored over Alan Scott pre-FP. It gets complex when you bring in the Sentinel period--it's unclear how much more powerful (if more powerful at all) he was as Sentinel.

But Earth 2 Alan Scott, as keeper of the Green or whatnot, seems more powerful than Superman typically is. It would take a high-end Superman portrayal to match him. Once he knew his stuff, the Black Superman and PG both acted as if they and all other 'wonders' were several levels down from Alan. He was on a whole other level.

cdtm
As valid a reason as any I suppose. The Upgrades in Superman's power level in print seemed to be around the time Whiz comics first hit with Cap in them, and upgraded seemingly to match him as he was portrayed. I always figured National was just keeping their boy at the peek, so whatever Cap could do So could Clark. That they had started out with Supes being the strongest most durable etc and that was where they expected him to sit.

I can't however think of any IN STORY reason why Cap would be less powerful off earth S.

A reason for that particular story? Or in general?

In that throwdown I mentioned, the wizard Shazam said something about Cap's distance from the Rock of Eternity being a factor.

Fun fact, even with this "handicap", Cap was moments from using his magic lightning to defeat Supes, when the wizard magically contacted Billy and essentially told him to throw the fight. The reason appeared to be the magic spell forcing their conflict was something that needed to run it's course to the conclusion of the fight in Supes, who seemed unable to snap out of it on his own as Cap had.

In other words, the fight was an allegory for two companies struggles, with the Wizard representing the lawyers snatching away a victory. Doubt that's a coincidence. wink

For years after into the post crisis era, many of their fights had Cap with the upper hand... Makes you wonder if the DC writers were sentimental towards their competition?

Although that obviously isn't the case anymore, "Shazam" is treated horribly now.

beatboks
A reason for that particular story? Or in general?

In that throwdown I mentioned, the wizard Shazam said something about Cap's distance from the Rock of Eternity being a factor.

Fun fact, even with this "handicap", Cap was moments from using his magic lightning to defeat Supes, when the wizard magically contacted Billy and essentially told him to throw the fight. The reason appeared to be the magic spell forcing their conflict was something that needed to run it's course to the conclusion of the fight in Supes, who seemed unable to snap out of it on his own as Cap had.

In other words, the fight was an allegory for two companies struggles, with the Wizard representing the lawyers snatching away a victory. Doubt that's a coincidence. wink

For years after into the post crisis era, many of their fights had Cap with the upper hand... Makes you wonder if the DC writers were sentimental towards their competition?

Although that obviously isn't the case anymore, "Shazam" is treated horribly now.

In general. I cant recall the one your talking about but it doesnt make sense that the distance from the ROE can be a problem in story since the Rock is a nexus point to all places. I mean Cap uses it to travel places faster and Shazam has even suggested that Cap should have used it for such when he didnt.

Of course the whole nexus thing (as I think of it) might only be post COIE.

Delta1938

Preboot Alan lost that vulnerability ages ago. Don't know enough about new52 Alan

Someone missed the joke.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.