Hellboy (2019)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
No Del Toro and no Perlman... sad

movie is being written by Mignola, frequent collaborator Christopher Golden, and Eureka creator

http://www.newsarama.com/34406-hellboy-gets-r-rated-movie-reboot.html

don't know why it needs to be rated R but oh well.

ares834
Da fuq?

Harbour is good choice though he has very large shoes to fill.

Nemesis X
No Ron Perlman? Forget watching this then.

Kazenji
I'll give the movie a chance

but Harbour will have a big shoes to fill, I'm waiting to see what Ron thinks of this happening.

queeq
Hmmm... dunno.

steverules_2
I'd rather see Hellboy 3 than an R rated reboot, its only cuz Logan and deadpool were R rated and a success that they're making it R rated

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm waiting to see what Ron thinks of this happening.

I don't think he can say anything, really. He can't be happy about it but if he bitches about it he comes across as a bad loser. His followers have already said it for him, anyway.

Kazenji
He can also praise David Harbour being a good actor etc for the role.

Dreampanther
He can also praise David Harbour being a good actor etc for the role.

Looks like so far he and Del Toro are trying to take the high road by not saying much. It has to hurt, having Hellboy taken away from them, so it's probably a bit too much to expect them to immediately start congratulating Harbour and Marshall.

queeq
I hope they don't do the origin story again. Just a fresh story with a new approach, why not.

Patient_Leech
That's pretty gay. Too soon for a reboot. Why not let Del Toro and Perlman do their third movie rated R? It's even gained sort of a cult status.

riv6672
^^^that'd be best.

Like Kaz said though, dont see any real need for the R, but i'll give it a chance.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Why not let Del Toro and Perlman do their third movie rated R? It's even gained sort of a cult status.

Because the studio's don't want to agree to the budget Del Toro wanted for his third movie.

Impediment
The comic book isn't overly violent or vulgar, so the film being rated r seems like a ploy because of Logan and Deadpool, IMO.

I'd rather have Hellboy 3 with Del Toro and Perlman.

Patient_Leech
Because the studio's don't want to agree to the budget Del Toro wanted for his third movie.

Then I blame Del Toro. You can do a lot more with lower budgets than you used to be able to do. The second movie was not better because it had a bigger budget. In fact, I think the larger budget hurt it. They should scale it back a little bit and do the third movie. A budget more like the first film would be perfect.

I do blame Del Toro because David Twohy and Vin Diesel with the Riddick franchise rolled with the punches and were perfectly willing to scale back the budget especially considering it gave them greater creative freedom.

riv6672
^^^^makes sense.

steverules_2
Originally posted by ares834

Harbour is good choice though he has very large shoes to fill.

but Harbour will have a big shoes to fill

I'm seeing double

Esau Cairn
Then I blame Del Toro. You can do a lot more with lower budgets than you used to be able to do.

Del Toro has a history for asking for big budget fundings for his projects & Hollywood has a history for knocking him back.

Hollywood wants weekend box profits not films that get cult status.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Del Toro fan.
We've seen what he can achieve with low budgets.

For once I'd like see what he could do on a big budget scale.

Don't blame Del Toro.
Blame Costner!

Kazenji
Originally posted by steverules_2
I'm seeing double

When you've been drinking it happens.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Del Toro has a history for asking for big budget fundings for his projects & Hollywood has a history for knocking him back.

Hollywood wants weekend box profits not films that get cult status.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Del Toro fan.
We've seen what he can achieve with low budgets.

For once I'd like see what he could do on a big budget scale.

Don't blame Del Toro.
Blame Costner!

^ I respect him a lot as a filmmaker. And with a good story he's good big OR small budget. Pacific Rim had a huge budget and was great, but Hellboy movies need a good story, one that's not overwhelmed by its budget (which is what happened in Hellboy II imo).

Plus, if you don't operate within the system and it doesn't get made, then what's the point??!

Kazenji
Sounds like they're using this character going by the title for the movie, Unless of course its something entirely new

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_of_Blood

Esau Cairn

Plus, if you don't operate within the system and it doesn't get made, then what's the point??!

Robert Rodriguez didn't like the regulations & broke away from the system to create his own production company.

I hate to say it but maybe Hollywood just doesn't like Mexican directors?

queeq
That's pretty gay. Too soon for a reboot.

Never too soon for the money grabbers... remember The Amazing Spider-Man?

Patient_Leech
I hate to say it but maybe Hollywood just doesn't like Mexican directors?

Yeah, they're not Jewish, are they? So of course Hollywood doesn't like them... lol

riv6672
Originally posted by queeq
Never too soon for the money grabbers... remember The Amazing Spider-Man?
Which one? stick out tongue

Robtard
Really wanted a 3rd film with del Taco and Pearlman, as I'm a fan of the previous two, but this isn't shit news as we're getting another Hellboy and it being R is a good thing, imo. So long as the studio isn't sacred to invest due to the R and opens up the checkbook for some proper SFX and story.

I can see Harbour doing a good Hellboy and the director shows promise for a horror/sci-fi flick

Nemesis X
A Hellboy movie without Del Toro is like Metal Gear without Kojima: you never realized you had something good until you gave it the boot.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Robtard
Really wanted a 3rd film with del Taco and Pearlman, as I'm a fan of the previous two, but this isn't shit news as we're getting another Hellboy and it being R is a good thing, imo. So long as the studio isn't sacred to invest due to the R and opens up the checkbook for some proper SFX and story.

Personally i just don't think a Hellboy movie needs to be R rated, From the comics that i've read it didn't scream R rated

they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

riv6672
It really doesnt.
I can do without HB saying ****, or seeing vampire boobs.

Patient_Leech

I can see Harbour doing a good Hellboy and the director shows promise for a horror/sci-fi flick

"del Taco and Pearlman" laughing out loud

With "Hell" in the title it would seem that an R-rating would be good, but I think the success of this character probably will only survive on a PG-13 rating. Hell, look at del Toro's films... they didn't exactly blow-up the box office. I'm actually surprised it got a sequel in the first place, let alone with a higher budget...

Hellboy I
Hellboy II

Inhuman
Wanted to see a 3rd film by Del Toro and Pearlman. So im not really a fan of a new Hellboy movie made by a different director and Hellboy actor. Even though im a fan of Harbour. Will still check it out because im a fan of the character and material.

Whats frustrating is that it was already going to conclude in the 3rd film as Hellboy was going to wreck havoc to humanity as was prophesied. Now we are going to get a reboot and start all over from the beginning most likely.

Robtard
Personally i just don't think a Hellboy movie needs to be R rated, From the comics that i've read it didn't scream R rated

they're just jumping on the bandwagon.

Need? No, the previous two were fine with a P-13 rating. But the R opens up the possibility of it being a bit more gritty and adult themed, which I'm all for.

Really depends what they do with the R. If they just add extra gore and a few "bad" words, it will be wasted. I'm thinking a Noir twist to the film would be great.

For sure, I'm certain they've looked at the success of Deadpool and Logan and how long/profitable R-rated superhero flicks have come since Blade.

steverules_2
When you've been drinking it happens.

Normally I'd agree Kaz but I'm not so sure this time

Patient_Leech
Need? No, the previous two were fine with a P-13 rating. But the R opens up the possibility of it being a bit more gritty and adult themed, which I'm all for.

Really depends what they do with the R. If they just add extra gore and a few "bad" words, it will be wasted. I'm thinking a Noir twist to the film would be great.

For sure, I'm certain they've looked at the success of Deadpool and Logan and how long/profitable R-rated superhero flicks have come since Blade.

I agree, but with the success of Deadpool and his pseudo-comedy they'll probably turn Hellboy into an annoying, unfunny smartass, too.

Kazenji
First poster from cannes, Pretty good that they got Mike Mignola to do it

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3437769/weve-got-hellboy-rise-blood-queen-sales-art-cannes/

Patient_Leech
thumb up

Kazenji
Not that it needs to be darker more gruesome......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Patient_Leech
Not that it needs to be darker more gruesome......... roll eyes (sarcastic)

No, and I enjoy del Toro's first Hellboy film quite a lot, but darker and more gruesome could be cool for a character named HELLBOY.

Kazenji
Its got nothing to do with del Toro other films, The comics themselves aren't that gruesome to begin with.

Patient_Leech
Its got nothing to do with del Toro other films, The comics themselves aren't that gruesome to begin with.

Regardless, a new take on it is better than the same thing.

Robtard
I agree, but with the success of Deadpool and his pseudo-comedy they'll probably turn Hellboy into an annoying, unfunny smartass, too.

It's cool if you didn't like Deadpool, but the film was pretty true to the character with the constant quips and cracks.

I've only read one or two Hellboy comics, so I can't really say how true Pearlman's version was to the character. I did enjoy it though.

Kazenji
Regardless, a new take on it is better than the same thing.

So in other words lets jump on the bandwagon because Deadpool & Logan has had success with it

instantly making it more gruesome and darker doesn't automatically make it a better film.

riv6672
No it doesnt.
Aside from conjecture, there's not much to do but wait & see.

Zack M
I'm all for this.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Zack M
I'm all for this.

Same here, I just would have liked to see del Toro finish his trilogy first... then reboot it. So that's a bummer.

But I like the guy they cast this time. He's great on Stranger Things.

Surtur
I mind the reboot more than the R rating. Given what happened at the end of Hellboy 2 there was potential to take the series in a darker direction for a 3rd film. Liz is told flat out that Hellboy is going to end the world soon and she still brings him back to life. Since she is pregnant with twins at the end this means her own children would have died as a result of the potential apocalypse brought about by Hellboy.

So there was potential for a deeper story and for an R rating without it necessarily having to be super gory and vulgar.

Bentley
If we aren't getting a third Hellboy I'm definitively willing to take a new entry that goes in a different direction.

Don't really care about the rating of the movie to be honest.

John Murdoch
Harbour is great in everything I've seen him in: Quantum of Solace, Revolutionary Road, End of Watch, and, yes, even dat dere Suicide Skwaaaaaad. Haven't seen Stranger Things yet. He'll fill the shoes of Perlman well, but...

...I'd much rather see Del Toro and Ronnie finish off a Hellboy trilogy. The original is still one of my fave comic book movies, and number two is pretty good as well. Visually, it was a masterpiece.

The first got overshadowed by the early-2000's comic book movie era that Blade and then X-Men kicked off in 1998 and 2000. Spider-Man dominated, each title in the original X-men Fox trilogy successively made more money than the title before it, and Marvel still had so much licensed out that their other titles (FF 2005, Daredevil, Punisher) followed the familiar character arcs in their titles, just lighter or darker in tone depending on the character and film rating. Hellboy skipped the origin story and tons of character buildup and dumped audiences in medius rex, much like Burton's Batman 89.

The Golden Army was released in what was, at the time, the biggest comic book movie summer of all-time: Iron Man came out to open the summer first week of May, Incredible Hulk followed around a month after that in June, then Wanted, and, of course, The Dark Knight was released just one week after Hellboy 2 came out in theaters. From there, the MCU flourished and DC started their DCEU.

I say all that to say this: since the comic book movie landscape (and the global box office situation in general) is much different presently than it was in 2008 and especially in 2004, I'd like to see how Hellboy 3 would perform nowadays with a much, much, much stronger international market and comic book movies being in the limelight.

Patient_Leech
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet or not, but Ian McShane is cast. I have to admit, I like this casting a lot so far...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/american-gods-star-ian-mcshane-joins-david-harbour-hellboy-reboot-1025853

Kazenji
I just seen Ron perlman refuses to have a cameo in the new movie.

Patient_Leech
^ I don't blame him.

Don't think it's a good idea anyway. It would only serve to distract from the film.

Flyattractor
Unless they are going for a really Hard R, way Harder then either Deadpool or Little Jimmy, I mean Logan did, I don't see the point to it actually.

Surtur
I just seen Ron perlman refuses to have a cameo in the new movie.

Why not? Not that I truly care if he shows up.

Patient_Leech
He just seen it, Surt! That's all he got! Let it go!

Kazenji
Exactly

i'm not Ron's best pal of something like that.

Surtur
Exactly

i'm not Ron's best pal of something like that.

You at least better know what sign Ron Pearlmans daughter is. Leo? Libra?

Kazenji
Well...hello

we have a stalker over here.

Surtur
Well...hello

we have a stalker over here.

Jeez, a man can't ask another man on the internet for the sign of an actors daughter without it being made into a thing.

Kazenji
Milla Jovovich to play the role of the Blood Queen.

Patient_Leech
^ Cool

Let's hope she can shake her perception as only a Resident Evil shill. Cause I think she actually is quite talented.

BruceSkywalker
with Milla in this now, i will see

Ridley_Prime
^ Cool

Let's hope she can shake her perception as only a Resident Evil shill. Cause I think she actually is quite talented.
Yeah, she is, and while I'm still fresh off the disdain from RE The Final Chapter, I like her better as an antagonist anyway, if Three Musketeers was anything to go by.

Kazenji

Patient_Leech
Glad they dropped the subtitle. It's stupid.

Impediment
Mila is cute but not a goddess, IMO.

Would still bang.

Kazenji
Glad they dropped the subtitle. It's stupid.

I disagree

Hellboy's normally had a subtitle to its stories in the comics.

Flyattractor
I have no prob with Milla being in the movie as long as there is no "and Ube Boll" that is connected to it.

Kazenji
Why would Uwe Boll be connected with it in the first place?

Flyattractor
Because Hollywood does Stupid Things at times....

Kazenji
Sasha Lane joins the movie as Hellboy's love interest as Alice Monaghan

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/american-honey-s-sasha-lane-boards-neil-marshall-s-hellboy-reboot-156?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=JoBloFB

the character is suppose to be Irish from the comics... erm

Esau Cairn
Irish accents can sometimes sound silly or intelligible on the big screen.

Kazenji
I just find it odd for that casting

Neil Marshall claims he's working with Mignola to keep it close to the origins of the characters etc and yet he goes with that.

Esau Cairn
Don't know who Sascha Lane is but maybe there's a push in Hollywood to make her the next big celeb.

Kazenji
Ed Skein exits the movie after white washing controversary

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ed-skrein-exits-hellboy-whitewashing-1202540677/

if only more actors/Actress's did that.

Darth Thor

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ed-skrein-exits-hellboy-whitewashing-1202540677/

Total respect to him.

riv6672
Well that was stupid of him.

Kazenji
Originally posted by riv6672
Well that was stupid of him.

How was it stupid?

clearly he wants to see the right actor for the role, In this case a Vietnamese actor.

Darth Thor
Plus it's actually been good for his reputation anyway. A lot of papers running with it. I didn't even realise he was in 3 episodes of GOT until this news.

riv6672
How was it stupid?

clearly he wants to see the right actor for the role, In this case a Vietnamese actor.

Its his prerogative to do that, its mine to say its stupid of him to do so.
Bowing to SJWs doesnt score him points with me.

The acting profession has had ppl play outside their ethnicities/changed characters' ethnicities, since acting began.
Slapping a derogatory moniker on the practice doesn't all of a sudden make it wrong.

I do like the double standard inherent in all this though.
A black Gunslinger is lauded and cries of more starring roles for black actors are loud.
Cast a white guy in a role originally written as asian and all if a sudden its a bad thing to do.

But hey, these are the same ppl who bitched and said Netflix Iron Fist's role should have gone to an asian actor.
Despite the fact that Iron Fist was a white character.
Despite the fact that saying a MA role should automatically be asian is pretty ****ing racist in and of itself.

But again, everyone has a right to their opinion.

Skein bowing out because of those opinions? Stupid of him.
In my opinion.

Kazenji

Its his prerogative to do that, its mine to say its stupid of him to do so.
Bowing to SJWs doesnt score him points with me.

The acting profession has had ppl play outside their ethnicities/changed characters' ethnicities, since acting began.
Slapping a derogatory moniker on the practice doesn't all of a sudden make it wrong.

A little effort also goes a long way too

This is the character that they picked Skein to play, Someone of asian descent

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Benjamin_Daimio

Roland?

From what i heard from King regarding that character, In the Dark Tower books they never specify what colour he is

riv6672
A little effort also goes a long way too

This is the character that they picked Skein to play, Someone of asian descent

http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Benjamin_Daimio

Roland?

From what i heard from King regarding that character, In the Dark Tower books they never specify what colour he is

You showing me a pic of an asian comics character (i read Hellboy i know who he is) doesnt negate one single pont i made.
By a little effort you mean casting an asian despite Skein obviously being who was wanted.

And yeah, Roland.
The character who's been portrayed as white, on every book cover, and in every comics adaptation ever.

You obviously have your color coordinated viewpoint, and i'm not gonna try and beat you over the head with the Obvious Stick.

I read something, stated my opinion, you asked a question, and i elaborated.
Not gonna waste any more time on you, making valid points, and have you blow those points off.
The board's not quite that dead this morning, and i'm not all that bored.

Darth Thor

I do like the double standard inherent in all this though.
A black Gunslinger is lauded and cries of more starring roles for black actors are loud.
Cast a white guy in a role originally written as asian and all if a sudden its a bad thing to do.

Well I don't really think there's an issue of white characters not getting enough recognition. Or White actors being discriminated against. So it's a little different.

But hey, these are the same ppl who bitched and said Netflix Iron Fist's role should have gone to an asian actor.
Despite the fact that Iron Fist was a white character.
Despite the fact that saying a MA role should automatically be asian is pretty ****ing racist in and of itself.

That whole thing against Iron Fist was just retarded.

riv6672
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well I don't really think there's an issue of white characters not getting enough recognition. Or White actors being discriminated against. So it's a little different.
Nah man, it really isnt.

That whole thing against Iron Fist was just retarded.
Ha, yeah it was.

Kazenji
You showing me a pic of an asian comics character (i read Hellboy i know who he is) doesnt negate one single pont i made.
By a little effort you mean casting an asian despite Skein obviously being who was wanted.

Yes...because the people who hire the actor's for these role's always tell the truth, What sort of character that they are...erm

People just presumed that he was white because of those picture's And as i said before they never said what colour Roland is in the books....I remember something along those line King said.

So you're getting angry because you disagree with the things i'm bringing up....erm

cdtm
So this was all Skrein's decision?

Are actors in a position to turn down roles?

I guess he must have other offers, but I'm wondering if this stunt will hurt his standing in the community. He already has controversy from Game of Thrones, which he chalked up to "politics" (A.k.a. he was fired
And now he just proved he's unreliable. To the SJW community, he looks good, but to Hollywood he just bailed on a project..

Surtur
Stuff like this irks me as well. A character that is a minority in the source material and cast as white? It's evil, it is white washing, etc. But a character who is white in the source material and is cast as black? It's seen as something to celebrate.

The excuse of "whites do not have problems getting roles" doesn't excuse the double standard. When are people going to learn that the best way to fight racism is not by applying different rules to different groups based on skin color?

Bashar Teg
#triggered #broflakes

Darth Thor
laughing out loud

Firefly218
Originally posted by cdtm
So this was all Skrein's decision?

Are actors in a position to turn down roles?

I guess he must have other offers, but I'm wondering if this stunt will hurt his standing in the community. He already has controversy from Game of Thrones, which he chalked up to "politics" (A.k.a. he was fired
And now he just proved he's unreliable. To the SJW community, he looks good, but to Hollywood he just bailed on a project..

He wasn't fired from GoT, he left the show to star in a sh!tty Transporter reboot

Originally posted by Surtur
Stuff like this irks me as well. A character that is a minority in the source material and cast as white? It's evil, it is white washing, etc. But a character who is white in the source material and is cast as black? It's seen as something to celebrate.

The excuse of "whites do not have problems getting roles" doesn't excuse the double standard. When are people going to learn that the best way to fight racism is not by applying different rules to different groups based on skin color?

We can't close our eyes and pretend that everyone has equal opportunities. There's like a million specifically white characters that were written white in the source material and portrayed white in a million different adaptations.

Meanwhile, colored people have less options.

So why is it such a big ****!ng deal to cast a couple people of color in traditionally white roles? Did you not like Michael Clarke Dunkin as Kingpin?

White people can afford to lose a couple roles. People of color cannot afford to lose their roles.

Darth Thor
^ thumb up

riv6672
So you're getting angry because you disagree with the things i'm bringing up....erm
Not mad.
Uninterested in pusuing the conversation. Because your points are stupid. smile

Khazra Reborn
Lol, why not just quietly leave the project if you feel you're not a proper fit for the role?

It's obvious this dude is fishing for brownie points.

riv6672
^^^thumb up

-Pr-
Originally posted by Firefly218
He wasn't fired from GoT, he left the show to star in a sh!tty Transporter reboot

We can't close our eyes and pretend that everyone has equal opportunities. There's like a million specifically white characters that were written white in the source material and portrayed white in a million different adaptations.

So why is it such a big ****!ng deal to cast a couple people of color in traditionally white roles? Did you not like Michael Clarke Dunkin as Kingpin?

White people can afford to lose a couple roles. People of color cannot afford to lose their roles.

because creating new ones is usually better than stealing others, imo.

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Lol, why not just quietly leave the project if you feel you're not a proper fit for the role?

Eh, I think he had to make some sort of statement, otherwise people would complain. Whatever his reasons though, I think he made a good decision.

Kazenji
Not mad.
Uninterested in pusuing the conversation. Because your points are stupid. smile

Not as much saying SJW are involved because said actor left role after finding out the character is asian......erm

that's more stupid coming from you.

Surtur
Originally posted by Firefly218

Nah, it's an all or nothing thing. Either we cast the right colored actor based on the source material or we don't. It does not become okay if it's a black guy, but not okay if the guy is white, sorry. This country needs to do away with special rules for one group, but not for others. It doesn't help fight racism or anything like that.

Actually no, I didn't like Duncan as Kingpin lol. Had nothing to do with him being black, the film was utterly horrible and the way Kingpin was written he would have been bad no matter if a black guy played him or a white guy or a purple guy.

Query: are you bothered by the fact that in the NBA and NFL black players make up a majority of the players? Do you think there should be clever hashtags used to draw attention to that?

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Exactly, he just wanted to virtue signal. He could have simply claimed scheduling conflicts, etc. made him give up the part. But that doesn't earn you brownie points among the Hollywood liberals. All he needs to do now to seal the deal is give Roman Polanski a bunch of praise or a standing ovation.

Silent Master
Oh, the old "can afford it" argument. Bill Gates could afford to lose a few billion dollars, does that mean it's ok to steal from him?

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
Oh, the old "can afford it" argument. Bill Gates could afford to lose a few billion dollars, does that mean it's ok to steal from him?

You would think they'd rather campaign for more roles to be written for blacks as opposed to the double standard of whining over a black character being cast as white but cheering a white character being cast as black.

The same folk who go on and on about how blacks are underrepresented in film rarely say a peep about them being over-represented in places like the NFL and NBA. In fact I'm guessing if the subject is approached some would defend it by pointing to how excluded they feel they are in entertainment.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Silent Master

No but if he stole from another billionaire that would be one thing. But we'd all look at him very differently if he stole from a charity. That'd be a new sort of low.

So the point is a valid one. Sort out prejudices first, then work on double standards towards those who already get everything.

Surtur
No but if he stole from another billionaire that would be one thing. But we'd all look at him very differently if he stole from a charity. That'd be a new sort of low.

So the point is a valid one. Sort out prejudices first, then work on double standards towards those who already get everything.

Do you want to sort out the NFL and NBA as well?

Esau Cairn
I never followed HellBoy issue by issue as a comic so I'm not familiar with the Asian character in mind.

But did his ethnicity actually add any substance to the story he was portrayed in?

Kazenji
That's beside the point if his ethnicity added something or not

also his parents were Asian, So of course he's going to be Asian or are you wishing they pull a F4 move again?

Darth Thor
Do you want to sort out the NFL and NBA as well?

Lol you really hate black people don't you?

Kazenji
Surtur probably would've been a slave owner back in the day.

Impediment

But nobody cared that Scarlett Johansson played the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

To an extent, I guess.

Sable
Surtur probably would've been a slave owner back in the day.

Many A list celebrities found out ther ancestors were slave owners or decendants of nazis. Like Chelsea Handler, her grandparents were Nazis and Ben Aflecs were slave owners.

Esau Cairn
That's beside the point if his ethnicity added something or not

also his parents were Asian,

IT IS the point.

If the character's ethnicity in the source material didn't add any significance to the story itself then why bother make "whitewashing" an issue?

And yup, most Asians tend to have Asian parents.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Impediment
But nobody cared that Scarlett Johansson played the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

I seem to recall people did complain about that. But the complaints didn't make any sense. I even saw interviews of Japanese people on the street saying that Scar Jo seemed like a great fit for the role.

-Pr-
IT IS the point.

If the character's ethnicity in the source material didn't add any significance to the story itself then why bother make "whitewashing" an issue?

And yup, most Asians tend to have Asian parents.

because a lot of people care about the source material being at least somewhat well translated.

I seem to recall people did complain about that. But the complaints didn't make any sense. I even saw interviews of Japanese people on the street saying that Scar Jo seemed like a great fit for the role.

yeah they really didn't seem bothered by it at all. then again, they are used to a lot of anime characters being more like white people than Asians, so that might contribute.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by -Pr-
yeah they really didn't seem bothered by it at all. then again, they are used to a lot of anime characters being more like white people than Asians, so that might contribute.

The character from the anime doesn't look Asian. She has big American blue eyes. So yeah, she was cast well.

-Pr-
The character from the anime doesn't look Asian. She has big American blue eyes. So yeah, she was cast well.

That was my point... Sort of.

BackFire
I seem to remember a pretty big outcry over Ghost in the Shell reboot casting Johanson.

I honestly didn't even hear about this Hellboy outcry until the actor decided to step aside.

Patient_Leech
What'll be funny is if they hire someone else who doesn't fit the role.

Surtur

This was my thing when I saw people whining over the Airbender movie. Look, that shit was horrible beyond belief, but Aang in the tv series does NOT look like a small asian boy. He just doesn't, not to me. There are definitely characters in that universe who actually do look actually Asian. In the cartoons Aang looks like a little bald white kid with tats.

But I just want people to simplify stuff: if you're using source material cast the correct race, period. If a character is white find a white person, if they are black find a black person. It is not edgy to do a gender or race swap. Was the latest Fantastic Four made better because Johnny was black? Did it pave the way for more black actors?

If people will see this and begin to want to shout about "but the lack of opportunities"...no. There are plenty of books, etc. with black characters as the main characters. Or *gasp* write some new material with minorities in the leads. Stop trying to break racial boundaries by merely swapping a black dude in for a white dude. It's laziness not progress.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by -Pr-
because a lot of people care about the source material being at least somewhat well translated.

And if you read Major Ben Daimio's background the only mention & relevance to being Asian was that his grandmother was an infamous war criminal.

Which he promptly states that even the US Army wasn't concerned about.

Surtur
So if the ethnicity adds no significance then it is okay to cast someone of a different race? Does this apply to only characters who are white in the source material, or *any* character? For instance being black certainly doesn't add significance to every single black character, I'm sure you would agree.

Esau Cairn
Juz talking about this one character bro.

Really seems to have made no difference to the stories though.

And if a female singer covers a song where the lyrics are about loving a girl, does that automatically make the female singer a lesbian?

Surtur
Juz talking about this one character bro.

Really seems to have made no difference to the stories though.

And if a female singer covers a song where the lyrics are about loving a girl, does that automatically make the female singer a lesbian?

As to your question, no, but I knew you were talking about one character. I was wondering how you would apply this in general.

Silent Master

Prejudices, like saying something is ok, so long as it only happens to white people?

Bashar Teg
oh deary me, one actor leaves his role based on personal principle and conservatives be like "DEY TUK R JERBS!"

http://i.imgur.com/Ajfrpek.gif

Flyattractor
Since when have Actors in this era had "Principles".?

I mean they are all a bunch of Leftist Fascists now... so yeah they are all scum.

Just like Bashy.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Since when have Actors in this era had "Principles".?

I mean they are all a bunch of Leftist Fascists now... so yeah they are all scum.

Just like Bashy.

https://i.imgur.com/J0WPhrwm.png

Flyattractor
Why would you take it like that unless you are out sniffing for chum!?

Are you a Chum Sniffer Bashy?

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I'm rotting my brain with nonstop substance abuse

cool thumb up

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
I stick this thumb up up my ass hole and then love to lick it

At least you got a hobby huh Bashy!?

Bashar Teg
fantasizing over my butthole again? seems like your favorite topic. maybe post a thread in the RP forum?

Flyattractor
It is your best feature.

Esau Cairn
I was wondering how you would apply this in general.

That's where it gets grey if you apply the argument on a general basis.

I think it makes more sense to debate on the individual instances.

-Pr-
And if you read Major Ben Daimio's background the only mention & relevance to being Asian was that his grandmother was an infamous war criminal.

Which he promptly states that even the US Army wasn't concerned about.

I don't see how that has any effect on him simply being Asian, though.

oh deary me, one actor leaves his role based on personal principle and conservatives be like "DEY TUK R JERBS!"

That's really helpeful. Really.

Surtur
That's where it gets grey if you apply the argument on a general basis.

I think it makes more sense to debate on the individual instances.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I am asking if we give each individual the benefit of the doubt when it comes to looking at the role? You talked about if a character whose race is not a big part of him, would you apply that to any character or just characters of color?

For example, a black character who...being black isn't really a huge part of their character, being cast as a white person in a movie or tv show?

The keyword is nuance. The job was willingly given up. The discussion took a turn into the role race plays in film when it comes to casting characters from established source material that already exists.

But you come and just say the same old cliche about jobs. Good one, I guess?

Bashar Teg
#triggered
#WhiteRageSignaling

they're now looking into hiring daniel dae kim from lost as replacement thumb up

riv6672
#triggered
#WhiteRageSignaling

they're now looking into hiring daniel dae kim from lost as replacement thumb up
He should have time now, he's leaving Hawaii 5-0.

riv6672
http://wizardworld.com/wizard/the-first-image-of-david-harbour-as-hellboy-is-vein-glorious

The RHoD looks more angular than the original version.
https://imghost.io/images/2017/09/14/image.jpg

Surtur
#triggered
#WhiteRageSignaling

Good, people can stop whining and being dumb.

Bashar Teg
Good, people can stop whining and being dumb.

...he whined

steverules_2
http://wizardworld.com/wizard/the-first-image-of-david-harbour-as-hellboy-is-vein-glorious

The RHoD looks more angular than the original version.
https://imghost.io/images/2017/09/14/image.jpg

Looks awesome

Surtur
...he whined

So saying stop whining is whining? Indeed, I shall remember this rule in future and apply it to all posters.

riv6672
Originally posted by steverules_2
Looks awesome
Yeah!
He needs to tie back that hair though.
Damn hippy.

Kazenji
Looks good, except for his right hand of doom...i prefer the more stoney look for it like how it is in the comics.

riv6672
Looking at it, it seems too smooth. No wear and tear.....huh

Arachnid1
Looking at it, it seems too smooth. No wear and tear.....huh He looks like he's covered in scars to me

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1
He looks like he's covered in scars to me

We're talking about the Right Hand of Doom here.

riv6672
We're talking about the Right Hand of Doom here.
I like the craggier more rounded look, just going on this one new image.
https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_470,q_auto:good,w_620/o3xtlgydjce46di6iomr.jpg
We'll see though.
I'm sure it'll work out.

Kazenji
Maybe it'll evolve over a few films, With it getting dents in it etc

Arachnid1
We're talking about the Right Hand of Doom here. In that case agreed. It is a bit too clean

riv6672
Black & white pic released.

http://cdn.movieweb.com/img.news.tops/NEv0GJu0RyinyB_1_b/Hellboy-Remake-New-Photo-David-Harbour-In-Costume.jpg

Kazenji
The first movie for the reboot apparently won't have Abe

https://screenrant.com/hellboy-reboot-doug-jones-abe-sapien/

riv6672
That was a fun read.
Jones is a stand up guy.

Patient_Leech
Black & white pic released.

http://cdn.movieweb.com/img.news.tops/NEv0GJu0RyinyB_1_b/Hellboy-Remake-New-Photo-David-Harbour-In-Costume.jpg

I like

http://www.stickpng.com/assets/images/586aac1f1fdce414493f50fd.png

Flyattractor
Sad to see Current Comic Book Movie Sell outs try and ignore this franchise, which kind of Started the Modern Comic Book Movie Era.

Hope this is good.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>