The Gifted (FOX XMEN)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
First teaser trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I_htkGJAZ4

-Pr-
That looks so... Bleh.

Any word on what canon characters will be in it?

carthage
Polaris, Blink, and John Proudstar

-Pr-
That's not bad at least.

BruceSkywalker
looks interesting

carthage
Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTzW9rMcbzk

Polaris seems to be off to a good start, she telekinetically stopped bullets/moved four cars with the wave of her hand smile. The little boy Andy Strucker seems to be really powerful

Ridley_Prime
Now that I've looked at the trailers with it being around release time for the show, I'm fairly sold on it.

**** the Inhumans show, there is where it's at for me.

Ridley_Prime
I forgot, it's set to October now, but between this, season 2 of Stranger Things, etc, it'll be a decent month for TV. I wanted to like the Legion show but it didn't really do it for me, though feel that The Gifted will likely make up for it.

carthage
2nd Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pDdXYf3nfc

Some more footage of the powers of the Strucker kids, Polaris, Thunderbird, Eclipse etc. Those kids have a lot of raw power

marwash22
looks like that old show called "Mutant X"

marwash22
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I wanted to like the Legion show but it didn't really do it for me really? from the start, at the very least it was always entertaining, but by the end it was damn near amazing.

did you stick with it, or quit early on?

Ridley_Prime
Oh, I stuck with it, and while some things like the Shadow King were interestingly done, not sure how invested I'd be with a season 2 tbh. Depends on where they go with it I suppose, but just going by the trailers this Gifted show seems like it'd be more up my alley than Legion, although how long I stick with it remains to be seen as well.

rox
i was told it takes place between the end of the wolverine and before prof. x and magneto meet up with wolverine at the airport

heathjack
i m going to check it out but too me it looks like hero's!!

Arachnid1
I hear this show had a good start today. Anyone tune in?

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I hear this show had a good start today. Anyone tune in?

Premiere is Oct 2nd, isn't it?

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Premiere is Oct 2nd, isn't it? You're right, my b. Yesterday was just the review embargo lifting. They came pouring in and for the most part sound pretty good

carthage
Tonight

This will wash away the stain of Inhumans. Mutant ****ing pride

samhain
Decent start, reminds me a lot of Heroes but considering Heroes was X-Men without the costumes and names that's understandable.

marwash22
this was kinda meh. not bad, just meh.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by samhain
Decent start, reminds me a lot of Heroes but considering Heroes was X-Men without the costumes and names that's understandable.

That's exactly what I thought. It's got a serious Heroes vibe - which is no bad thing.

marwash22
that's interesting.

I didn't think of Heroes once.

I get the similarities, specifically the angle of Primatech hunting criminal supers, but literally nothing about this show has the "vibe" of 'Heroes'.

Tim Kring's other show 'Touch' has way more of a 'Heroes' vibe than this... hell, 'Sense8' had WAY more of a 'Heroes' vibe than this show.

BruceSkywalker
pretty decent season premiere last night

this show has promise

-Pr-
Just watched the first ep... It was all right. Only 2 complaints: Making a new character instead of using an existing one? Bad form. Second, Sage should be hotter.

wakkawakkawakka

riv6672
Boring as ****.
I can follow a lackluster show if at least one character, or actor/actress interests me.
This show didnt have any of that.

marwash22
i agree. none of the characters stood out.

Ridley_Prime
Blink was the only one I liked on first impression. The others were meh but more or less serviceable.

Not sure how long I'll follow this show. Nothing too exciting since it's kinda been there done that with the general premise, but I'm just happy to have a more team-based show for the mutant brand, even if it's average and not X-Men.

carthage
Loved it

Can't wait to see more of Polaris and how the kids and family escape the government

TheVaultDweller
I thought the pilot was okay. The problem for this show is that it starts with somewhat of a handicap, as the whole young people with powers persecuted by some shadow organisation shtick is hardly new territory. So, they are going to have to bring some fresh ideas to the table to keep the interest going.

riv6672
^^^i'll be surprised if they bring those fresh ideas.
And like tou said, its nothing premise-wise. I've seen it done, with more appealing actors/characters.

TheVaultDweller
This is also why I am wondering how The Runaways is going to go, and how closely they plan on following the source material there. Because that's also not that far off anymore (21th of November on Hulu, 26th of the same month on Showcase), yet I am not aware of any trailers or footage being released as of yet.

Also, not sure if anyone else has pointed this out anywhere yet, but it looks like a New Warriors sitcom-type show is in the works for 2018.

-Pr-
Best part of the episode was the X-Men TAS ringtone, for me.

riv6672
^^^this one i'll watch simply for the actress they cast as Squirrel Girl, Milana Vayntrub.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by -Pr-
Best part of the episode was the X-Men TAS ringtone, for me.
Yeah, that was golden.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^this one i'll watch simply for the actress they cast as Squirrel Girl, Milana Vayntrub.

I remember there was some complaining among a few SJW-types about how she was supposedly too attractive to play the role.

riv6672
Poor SJWs. stick out tongue

cdtm
Not many comments on this one.

Sure, it's only on episode 2, but still..

marwash22
this is shaping up to be trash.

cdtm
You know a shows bad, when your first thought is "I could be watching S.T.D."

marwash22
I'm out

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by cdtm
Not many comments on this one.

Sure, it's only on episode 2, but still..
I liked episode 2 better than the pilot, but it was just kinda there; not too much to say about it.

TheVaultDweller
The issue I have with this show so far is that it's just more of the same of what we've already gotten from the Fox X-verse. We've had similar territory covered in the original X-Men trilogy, as well as Logan.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
The issue I have with this show so far is that it's just more of the same of what we've already gotten from the Fox X-verse. We've had similar territory covered in the original X-Men trilogy, as well as Logan.

It still has that Heroes feel to me. The blonde cheerleader, the dad that works for the government, the (relatively) young heroes learning how to use their powers, the government that wants to catch them...

But, I suppose that is unavoidable. That's basically the Marvel mutant blueprint and since Heroes was so popular there will inevitably be similarities, consciously or not. So far, for me, it has a pretty solid feel and at least the heroes aren't given too much time to sit around and feel sorry for themselves.

I try to give a new series at least 3 episodes before I make up my mind but so far it's a 7/10 on my entertainment scale, in other words I'm looking for forward to the next episode. What might spoil it for me is the writing, as so far it's been fairly predictable. Will see if I still think so after the next episode...

Darth Thor

Lestov16
Watched the first two episodes. Found it highly enjoyable

carthage
The Strucker twins seem like Mutants with high potential

samhain
Are they twins? He seems a couple of years younger than his sister. Perhaps I'm projecting Clare Bennett and her brother Lyle onto them, lol.

KingD19
In the comics they're like Northstsar and Aurora. Their powers activate when they touch and they're twins. In the comics though he shoots plasma blasts and she shoots disintegration beams.

They're not twins on this and have totally different powers.

Robtard
Watched the first three, not a shit show like "Inhumnas" which I've bailed on already, but not sure I'm sticking with it. Going to give it a few more eps, hopefully it turns out to be another "Legion", a slow start but a good show by the end

marwash22
how dare you make that comparison, tart.

'Legion' may have lacked tons of action in the beginning, but it was never boring and was a much higher quality show. This is show is basic af, very paint-by-numbers. I didn't watch third episode, but i doubt there was a bump in quality high enough to justify that comparison.

TheVaultDweller
This show absolutely pales in comparison to Legion (at least IMO), even just comparing the first three episodes. Even in stages where Legion wasn't going very hard on the action, they were always doing interesting things with the story, visuals, cinematography etc. In comparison, as I have already said in previous posts, this show just feels like the same generic thing we've seen done more than once before.

And the actors in Legion really delivered too (Aubrey Plaza in particular). The actors on The Gifted do a fine enough job, but not quite on the level of people like Stevens or Plaza IMO.

S W LeGenD
I personally can't get enough of the traditional X-Men/mutant stuff so I'm finding this show really enjoyable, and each episode has been slightly better than the last.

But 100% agreed that Legion is simply a far more quality show - I mean it's on par with the most artful, sophisticated stuff that TV has to offer. This is more in line with the quality of a show like Arrow - not bad but not great either. Or more aptly, something like Heroes post season 1.

-Pr-
The one thing that I give the show props for is the setting. It's mostly present day, but mutants are still being rounded up and put in to camps. Shame that Sentinel Services doesn't have ACTUAL Sentinels, but otherwise I like it.

They really need to have a more main X-Man guest star though. Even one would be something.

Also, Esme needs to die.

TheVaultDweller
Those little spiderbots are supposed to be the current Sentinels. The timeline change from DoFP gave them a serious shaft.

Dreampanther
This week's episode was cuckoos.

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Those little spiderbots are supposed to be the current Sentinels. The timeline change from DoFP gave them a serious shaft.

Thought that. I don't like them either way.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
This week's episode was cuckoos.

laughing out loud

Ridley_Prime
Am glad I ended up sticking through the season. The last few or couple episodes were damn solid. Kinda peeved at the ending though, even if I saw it coming.

Robtard
Honestly, I'm barely hanging on with this. The story line is very meh/repetitive. The acting, no one really stands out. They're all basically just there. The twins are goddamn awful/annoying. I know they're teenagers and teenagers by nature are lame retards, but its getting too much. Even some of the adults at like lame retarded teenagers with their 24/7 angst.

Going to give the next season 2 (maybe 3) eps, if it doesn't improve I'm bailing.

Ridley_Prime

TheVaultDweller
This show irritated me, because I genuinely feel like it had a ton of potential (especially showing us some things from the one human agent's perspective). But, in the end, it still just felt like a knock-off of one of the countless other young people with powers shows that's come and gone.

Ridley_Prime

TheVaultDweller
Eh, I am not too bothered about looking too far into the future. What I am personally keen for is Legion season 2, which is dropping in April.

TxG
anyone got to watching the second season yet?

tkitna
I watch it and like it.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, am still enjoying it so far, and seems to be a decent improvement from the first season, although is not saying too much.

TheVaultDweller
This is one of those shows that I put on as background filler a lot of the time. It's not bad. Just not really great either. At least to me, personally. And they often have to write a lot of PIS into the story for certain dramatic moments. Like the whole standoff with the Purifiers would have been more impactful if there wasn't a member of the Underground that could produce literally blinding flares of light to obscure people's vision/cause a distraction, but who instead chooses to attack with laser beams that hit nothing.

Ridley_Prime
Reed having his powers remanifest has been the most interesting part for me as of late, and hope they go somewhere good with him once he gets a better handle of controlling his powers. Most of the characters at this point in the show have been fairly likable for me too surprisingly.

**** Rebecca though. The Mutant Uprising/Inner Circle made a mistake recruiting her.

TheVaultDweller
The Purifiers are going to love her though lol. Great PR for them.

TheVaultDweller
This show has actually been getting better in some regards IMO. It is actually managing to address topics relevant to the real world, but doing so in a relatively fair manner and showing the good and the ugly parts of both sides, which is something a lot of other shows fail to do.

Still don't care much for some of the personal drama stuff but, as a veteran of several CW DC shows, it doesn't bother me as much anymore.

Ridley_Prime
The massacre this episode... ****ing depressing, but I guess was bound to happen eventually.

carthage
The idea that these mutants would lose to humans with guns is laughably pathetic

But then again the Underground is composed of total retards

Ridley_Prime
It's an adaption of the Mutant Massacre storyline in the comics, where the same shit pretty much happened once the Morlocks started getting targeted despite others trying to help.

The Underground's in a fractured divided state to the point they can't really do much at the moment. I feel for John/Thunderbird.

TheVaultDweller
I was actually thinking while I was watching, "Huh, they could really do with some actual X-Men. Most of these guys are weak as shit." I could legitimately see a large number of the movie X-men characters laughably easily solo'ing the same crew that basically destroyed the Morlocks.

Ridley_Prime
Erg (or Bishop standin) was pretty much the only strong one out of the Morlocks, but most of the other mutants in the show have strong powers, just only those with Reeva got to have actual training with their power, so is kind of unbalanced, in that the Underground doesnt have the X-Men kind of training or team experience. I like most of the individual members though, but there is only so much John or someone can do on their own. Them losing this much raises the stakes at least, but as long as the good guys still win in the end somehow, is all good I guess. Been enjoying this season unexpectedly well.

Ridley_Prime
I was rooting when Reed killed that one Purifier, and while the show doesn't have much of them, I did like the feelgood moment the end of the episode brought with the whole family reunion. Looking forward to the season finale next week, the bar has been set. Reeva was a needed villain for this show, who they've made me love to hate to the very end.

carthage

Arachnid1
Came to see if this was worth watching but it mostly seems to be negative impressions. I'll probably avoid this one.

Ridley_Prime
I felt we knew enough about Reeva from her trauma flashback episode to get an idea of her motivations. Tho yeah, the ending was rushed which didn't surprise me too much, but glad at least the episode left me with a sense of closure unlike season 1 and its finale. The flashbacks of this episode were meant to tie in with the climax but it didn't mesh together too well, though I don't blame so-and-so for jumping ships with some of the extenuating circumstances there were.

Thunderbird knocking Erg around so that the latter could unleash his power on the Purifiers around the corner might've been my favorite part. lol Some of the characters have grown on me enough to at least give season 3 a chance, though don't know how to feel about the leadup to it with the cliffhanger.

But I mean again, wasn't expecting some masterpiece out of this series; just some enjoyable substitute to watch on the side while waiting for the eventual resurrection of the X-Men brand, and The Gifted's been okay for what it is, unless you're of the "If it's not great, it's shit" kind of mindset I guess.

BruceSkywalker

TheVaultDweller
Well, at least Reed went out with a bang.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.