Doom vs Hal Jordan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eaebiakuya
Who win in a Will Power contest?

carver9
Doom wins a fight and will power battle.

psycho gundam
Here we go...

carver9
thumb up

Bring it.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by carver9

How? Does Doom have a GL Ring or just a BS FanBoy Device hidden in his metal pocket?

tkitna
I agree with Carver on this.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by carver9

Says the guy who used Doom in a mid-herald battle, and cried when people chose what were, in his opinion, above the cap.

Then says he can beat a HH (and one of DC's top HHs) in a straight up fight.

Either he has a massive bias towards Marvel, or he's just an idiot.

Both are equally likely, tbh.

Juntai
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

a massive bias towards Marvel, or he's just an idiot.

emu
Originally posted by Flyattractor
How? Does Doom have a GL Ring or just a BS FanBoy Device hidden in his metal pocket? Doom will make a GL ring shifty

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Juntai

thumb up true. Everytime I think he has a new low...he constantly surprises me.

D-Block
Hal

iceman24567
Hal

cdtm
Hal forced Nekron to do his bidding by sheer will alone. (Ignore the fact Johns himself established Black Lanterns are actually constructs of their host, and that undead Hal wouldn't be real Hal.

Or I don't know, maybe Hal's will is so amazing he jacked the construct before jacking Nekron.)

Aakla
The will of Doom is absolute.

Aakla
When it comes to willpower this is what I picture happening. FYI I don't follow DC much so you'll have to excuse me.

DC and Marvel team up against a universal threat, Earths Heroes are getting owned, in a desperate attempt to salvage a win Hal throws a Green Lantern ring at Doom.
Doom puts it on, a moment or 2 pass then Doom takes it off and tosses it back to Hal. Comments are made about Doom's willpower not being enough.
But then then rings of all the fallen Lantern Corps begin to glow and they get up and rejoin the fight.
The will of Doom is so strong that he transcended the need for a ring and becomes a Universal Power Source for all Lanters.

That is the Will of Doom.

Rao Kal El
Hal's will is kind of his mojo.

So I will say Hal wins.

Yes I am aware of Doom's feats of will. But didn't Hal a "normal" human return from the dead basically by pure will?

I don't remember to be honest. But it will be a close fight.

emu
Originally posted by Aakla
When it comes to willpower this is what I picture happening. FYI I don't follow DC much so you'll have to excuse me.

DC and Marvel team up against a universal threat, Earths Heroes are getting owned, in a desperate attempt to salvage a win Hal throws a Green Lantern ring at Doom.
Doom puts it on, a moment or 2 pass then Doom takes it off and tosses it back to Hal. Comments are made about Doom's willpower not being enough.
But then then rings of all the fallen Lantern Corps begin to glow and they get up and rejoin the fight.
The will of Doom is so strong that he transcended the need for a ring and becomes a Universal Power Source for all Lanters.

That is the Will of Doom. You need to be hired thumb up

TheHulkster
During the Marquis of Death arc, Doom shows the epitome of will power. Can it be referenced despite the event being undone by time travel?

Aakla
Originally posted by TheHulkster
During the Marquis of Death arc, Doom shows the epitome of will power. Can it be referenced despite the event being undone by time travel?

was that the time he went back 25 million years then meditated until present day so he could one shot the Marquis?

TheHulkster
was that the time he went back 25 million years then meditated until present day so he could one shot the Marquis?

Yes. He is torn to shreds by the megalodon, but through sheer will, survives, heals and spends 25 million years accumulating power.

abhilegend
That was retconned as Thunderbolts saved him.

Galan007
Originally posted by abhilegend
That was retconned as Thunderbolts saved him. Indeed. thumb up

https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922380_Dark_Avengers_176-006.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922381_Dark_Avengers_176-007.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922382_Dark_Avengers_176-008.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922383_Dark_Avengers_176-013.jpg

...Not that canon facts matter to ol' Hulkie-boy, but it's still good to point out nonetheless. thumb up

Flyattractor
Don't look like Vicky got all that chewed up to me..

TheHulkster
Don't look like Vicky got all that chewed up to me..

He is saved from it by Thunderbolts, thus altering history. Originally, he is chewed up. Funny that Galen didn't notice that I inquired earlier as to whether it is usable since it is undone by time travel. But since I hurt him feelings earlier, he now stalks me because him angry.

I would say that since it originally happens in continuity, it counts for battle board reasons despite time travel undoing it. Opinions?

Flyattractor
So I take it this happened before the SJW Apocalypse happened over at Marvel?

cdtm
Well, it predates Whor for sure. But pretty sure after black Nick Fury and Spidey..

TheHulkster
So I take it this happened before the SJW Apocalypse happened over at Marvel?

Yep.

TheHulkster
That was retconned as Thunderbolts saved him.

That's not what a retcon is.

abhilegend
Yes, it is.

sonicwires
dr doom would win green lanters travel in packs for a reason .. they are overrated , inconstant and they job a lot to aliens with laser guns ,hell ,they have jobbed to people with just regular guns

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by sonicwires
dr doom would win green lanters travel in packs for a reason .. they are overrated , inconstant and they job a lot to aliens with laser guns ,hell ,they have jobbed to people with just regular guns

This is a sound logic. I'm sold!

DarkSaint85
He is saved from it by Thunderbolts, thus altering history. Originally, he is chewed up. Funny that Galen didn't notice that I inquired earlier as to whether it is usable since it is undone by time travel. But since I hurt him feelings earlier, he now stalks me because him angry.

I would say that since it originally happens in continuity, it counts for battle board reasons despite time travel undoing it. Opinions?

Personally, I don't think it counts. Does Doom have the POTENTIAL to do it? Sure. But he never did it. Similar to a What If? Story. Yes, yes, I know, there are XYZ different reasons why this ISN'T like a What If story, but I am only drawing parallels here.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
Indeed. thumb up

https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922380_Dark_Avengers_176-006.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922381_Dark_Avengers_176-007.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922382_Dark_Avengers_176-008.jpg https://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/34922383_Dark_Avengers_176-013.jpg

...Not that canon facts matter to ol' Hulkie-boy, but it's still good to point out nonetheless. thumb up

I've brought repellent laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

TheHulkster
Personally, I don't think it counts. Does Doom have the POTENTIAL to do it? Sure. But he never did it. Similar to a What If? Story. Yes, yes, I know, there are XYZ different reasons why this ISN'T like a What If story, but I am only drawing parallels here.

I would think that clear differences from a What If makes it not parallel. Gaylen and Abhi are simply trying to finagle a way to not include a feat. Kind of like someone trying to have evidence repressed due to it having been obtained illegally. Still doesn't change what the evidence shows. Doom does this in an in-continuity, canon book. It was not retconned. A retcon involves an addition to a past event that changes it and the addition technically was ALWAYS there. In cases of canon things that are undone through time travel, I would say that the feats count unlike What Ifs, alternate futures and alternate realities.

DarkSaint85
But it IS an alternate reality, though.

As it never happened.

That's like using Pre 52 feats for post, and saying they're all valid.

TheHulkster
Nah, it's quite different. FF 566 - 569 was an in continuity arc taking place in 616.

DarkSaint85
So would pre 52/post 52 feats count equally?

They all took place in a Canon mainstream DCU.

Except Pandora and Barry changed time so that certain events never happened/happened differently.

But they still happened. In a canon comic. Would I be able to use pre 52 feats when discussing, say, WW?

TheHulkster
So would pre 52/post 52 feats count equally?

They all took place in a Canon mainstream DCU.

Except Pandora and Barry changed time so that certain events never happened/happened differently.

But they still happened. In a canon comic. Would I be able to use pre 52 feats when discussing, say, WW?

Alternate realities. One had nothing to do with other. Miller's FF run was in 616.

eaebiakuya
It is a retcon, get over it. Doom still have some good feats of will.

Galan, for you, who wins this?

Cogito
Doom is like the Superman of Marvel in willpower. Absolutely beastly, and if you had asked me 5-10 years ago I would have put those two at their respective tops without hesitation.

But then Johns got a hold of Hal, and started wanking. Hard. Now Hal does shit on the regular that shouldn't be possible, but then the excuse is "cuz willpower" and I guess that's cool. I mean, Hal just recently literally discorporated and became willpower. The thing that really sealed it though is when they made Hal's willpower a link to the spark of creation itself. His connection with willpower itself is stronger than the GL central battery, according to Volthoom (who knows a thing or two about that).

So yeah, Hal wins right now. Doom would have had a strong case 5-10 years ago, and probably will 5-10 years from now.

TheHulkster
Originally posted by eaebiakuya
It is a retcon, get over it. Doom still have some good feats of will.

Galan, for you, who wins this?

No it ain't. A retcon is:

"(in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency."

There is no new interpretation of what happened. What happened was just actively undone through the actions of characters. EDUCATION!

eaebiakuya
New information was impose. He was saved by Thunderbolts.

TheHulkster
On second thought, it is a type of retcon that doesn't require new info. Still valid feat IMO since it originally happens in continuity.

Galan007
g007_derp

I guess the simplistic meaning/purpose of a retcon is also lost on you, eh? Well at least you're consistent in that you incessantly twist basic on panel/canon evidence, to try and suit these half-assed arguments of yours, lol.

You: "Doomz will alone kept him alive after MOD sent him to the past."
Everyone else with a brain: "That was actually retconned and is now non-canon, bud. Doom was saved by the T-Bolts *see scans*."
You: "Well it still counts cuz it wuz canon at one point!!!!!!trololololololololol!!!!!!"

This type of stuff is just priceless... Keep it coming. thumb up

TheHulkster
g007_derp

I guess the simplistic meaning/purpose of a retcon is also lost on you, eh? Well at least you're consistent in that you incessantly twist basic on panel/canon evidence, to try and suit these half-assed arguments of yours, lol.

You: "Doomz will alone kept him alive after MOD sent him to the past."
Everyone else with a brain: "That was actually retconned and is now non-canon, bud. Doom was saved by the T-Bolts *see scans*."
You: "Well it still counts cuz it wuz canon at one point!!!!!!trololololololololol!!!!!!"

This type of stuff is just priceless... Keep it coming. thumb up

Case in point. The offended will stalk. laughing

Mindset
Doom's will is absolute.

You're a sloven fool if you disagree, and I'll bludgeon your family to death with your bones after I've rend the flesh from them.

emu
Originally posted by Mindset
Doom's will is absolute.

You're a sloven fool if you disagree, and I'll bludgeon your family to death with your bones after I've rend the flesh from them. love

Zack M
Originally posted by Cogito
Doom is like the Superman of Marvel in willpower. Absolutely beastly, and if you had asked me 5-10 years ago I would have put those two at their respective tops without hesitation.

But then Johns got a hold of Hal, and started wanking. Hard. Now Hal does shit on the regular that shouldn't be possible, but then the excuse is "cuz willpower" and I guess that's cool. I mean, Hal just recently literally discorporated and became willpower. The thing that really sealed it though is when they made Hal's willpower a link to the spark of creation itself. His connection with willpower itself is stronger than the GL central battery, according to Volthoom (who knows a thing or two about that).

So yeah, Hal wins right now. Doom would have had a strong case 5-10 years ago, and probably will 5-10 years from now.

This.

sonicwires
doom could ........ doom would ..........

Philosophía

So yeah, Hal wins right now. Doom would have had a strong case 5-10 years ago, and probably will 5-10 years from now. This.

Some years ago, I'd have been able to argue that Superman has a stronger will than Hal . Now, not so more.

Galan007
Yeah, if Alan Scott wrote the original Book of Willpower, Hal Jordan was undoubtedly the author of Part II. thumb up

On a sidenote: I cannot wait to see Hal unleash against Sarko /w/ Krona's Gauntlet... I'd imagine there will be even more to add to his already substantial pedigree afterward. big grin

Aakla
In regards to Doom being retconed and weather it counts or not, I think people are arguing the issue because the thunderbolts didn't do anything to Doom that would effect his will power and weather or not he could have done it. If they had gone back in time and filled a lake victor swam in with sharks and he was attacked, that might effect Dooms willpower during that incident. All they did was stop him from doing it.

eaebiakuya
In regards to Doom being retconed and weather it counts or not, I think people are arguing the issue because the thunderbolts didn't do anything to Doom that would effect his will power and weather or not he could have done it. If they had gone back in time and filled a lake victor swam in with sharks and he was attacked, that might effect Dooms willpower during that incident. All they did was stop him from doing it.

Without the retcon:
Doom was eaten alive but survived by will power (!?)

With the retcon:
He never was eaten alive. There is no feat in this.

This is a big difference.

Galan007
Without the retcon:
Doom was eaten alive but survived by will power (!?)

With the retcon:
He never was eaten alive. There is no feat in this.

This is a big difference. thumb up

It's not a hard concept to grasp...

In the original scene, Doom is torn limb-from-limb by the sharks, but allegedly survived with nothing other than his hate/will:
https://s6d4.turboimg.net/t1/34930698_1.jpg

Conversely, the retconned(and most importantly: canon) scene revealed that the Thunderbolts SAVED Doom from the sharks BEFORE they were able to so much as nibble on him:

...Which is obviously not a feat for Doom at all, lol.

Aakla
The feet was retconed Dooms will to accomplish it wasn't. The feet was retconed Doom's will wasn't.
I understand the rules I'm just clarifying the issue. I understand a retcon is a retcon.

eaebiakuya
We will never know if he could do that or not. You can say he can, but is just a theory.

For now...Doom just lied to the FF. This remind me the issue of Loki agent of Asgard, when Doom says..."Doom is the history of Doom".

He still have the feat of waiting for millions of years to the revenge (would be the best feat of will power for most of characters).

TheHulkster
We will never know if he could do that or not. You can say he can, but is just a theory.

For now...Doom just lied to the FF. This remind me the issue of Loki agent of Asgard, when Doom says..."Doom is the history of Doom".

He still have the feat of waiting for millions of years to the revenge (would be the best feat of will power for most of characters).

I'm just realizing now your confusion with regard to the events. Doom doesn't lie to the FF. A 25 million year old Doom who survives being ripped apart is telling Reed truthfully what had happened.

In the later Thunderbolts issue, Doom is not only saved from being ripped apart, but uses the Thunderbolt's time machine to come back to the present. Thus he never even has to survive 25 million years. He's back to the present in maybe an hour or so, thus wiping out Mark Miller's FF arc.

You see, Mark Miller left his FF run having left behind a Dr. Doom who had spent 25 million years accumulating enough power to be anywhere from Skyfather to Galactus level if not more and with a markedly different look. Since subsequent writers ignored this and continued to write standard Doom, the Thunderbolts writer took it on himself to explain why this is.

So Aakia's point is that we do know that Doom has the will power to heal after being ripped apart because we see it confirmed in-continuity before the entire event is wiped out by time travel.

Aakla
I'm just realizing now your confusion with regard to the events. Doom doesn't lie to the FF. A 25 million year old Doom who survives being ripped apart is telling Reed truthfully what had happened.

In the later Thunderbolts issue, Doom is not only saved from being ripped apart, but uses the Thunderbolt's time machine to come back to the present. Thus he never even has to survive 25 million years. He's back to the present in maybe an hour or so, thus wiping out Mark Miller's FF arc.

You see, Mark Miller left his FF run having left behind a Dr. Doom who had spent 25 million years accumulating enough power to be anywhere from Skyfather to Galactus level if not more and with a markedly different look. Since subsequent writers ignored this and continued to write standard Doom, the Thunderbolts writer took it on himself to explain why this is.

So Aakia's point is that we do know that Doom has the will power to heal after being ripped apart because we see it confirmed in-continuity before the entire event is wiped out by time travel.

Thank you, I suck at explaining things.

abhilegend

So it's a retcon and thus not usable as a feat. In the current timeline he just lied about all those changes.

thumb up

abhilegend
And Doom may have kept himself alive, Hal straight up resurrected himself when it was said that GL ring can't resurrect people in GL v5 20.

That's called willpower.

Galan007
So it's a retcon and thus not usable as a feat. In the current timeline he just lied about all those changes.

thumb up thumb up

Per Marvel canon, the Thunderbolts SAVED Doom from the sharks BEFORE they ever attacked him -- his 'willpower' had NOTHING to do with said survival. IOW, Doom's 'version' of the story is a straight-up LIE... A character's LIE =/= a usable feat, lol.

The Doom supporters have really lost their touch... Trying to use a retconned non-feat on his behalf is just an embarrassment to the character. laughing out loud

TheHulkster
As I stated, The Apprentice of the Marquis of Death (who is a powered up Dr. Doom) doesn't lie. Those events happened in-continuity. They are valid as evidence. Not sure how they relate to board rules.

Doom doesn't have a GL ring to help him survive. He just has his human self.

psycho gundam

So yeah, Hal wins right now. Doom would have had a strong case 5-10 years ago, and probably will 5-10 years from now. Hal is broken now and anything that happens in his comics will always have readers thinking about his willpower overcoming whatever or whomever he faces no matter the level cause of Johns' writing.

There isn't much reason to think that he can't lose now. Suspense lost

abhilegend
As I stated, The Apprentice of the Marquis of Death (who is a powered up Dr. Doom) doesn't lie. Those events happened in-continuity. They are valid as evidence. Not sure how they relate to board rules.

Doom doesn't have a GL ring to help him survive. He just has his human self.
Except a GL ring can't resurrect characters as noted. Originally posted by psycho gundam
Hal is broken now and anything that happens in his comics will always have readers thinking about his willpower overcoming whatever or whomever he faces no matter the level cause of Johns' writing.

There isn't much reason to think that he can't lose now. Suspense lost
Just like Hulk with Pak, eh?

psycho gundam
It's not the same as that and you know it, unless you think Hulk can beat anyone he faces but doesn't due to writer's whim cause Pak according to you confirmed him being unbeatable

Philosophía
thumb up

Per Marvel canon, the Thunderbolts SAVED Doom from the sharks BEFORE they ever attacked him -- his 'willpower' had NOTHING to do with said survival. IOW, Doom's 'version' of the story is a straight-up LIE... A character's LIE =/= a usable feat, lol.

The Doom supporters have really lost their touch... Trying to use a retconned non-feat on his behalf is just an embarrassment to the character. laughing out loud I think there needs to be a distinction here

- first being Doom surviving based on his willpower, then somebody going back to change the timeline so that it wasn't the way it happened
- the second being from what I understand, that the timeline ALWAYS being that Doom was saved by Thunderbolts, and nothing was really changed at all.

From what I understand, the latter happened, no? As in, him being sliced apart by sharks being just an untrue story, and he was always saved by the Thunderbolts?

The first would be overwriting the timeline with time-travel, while the latter is a straight-up retcon.

TheHulkster
And that's my point. It appears to be an overwrite of the timeline.

abhilegend
Originally posted by psycho gundam
It's not the same as that and you know it, unless you think Hulk can beat anyone he faces but doesn't due to writer's whim cause Pak according to you confirmed him being unbeatable
Eh, it's the same. Both are fanboys writers wanking the hell out of Hulk and Hal.

Pak literally had Hulk kill three of his most powerful villains by Shockwave of his punches. Even Johns had better sense than that.

Except Johns is less fanboyish and is sometimes a good writer.

psycho gundam
Guy named "Worldbreaker" breaks world and it's a surprise...? Not to mention the event was something built upon for decades as Pak put in almost every character Hulk had issue with over several arcs (including the Red Hulk stuff by other writers) all culminating into said moment.

Hal just did something that readers to this day have no idea he could do and it shouldn't have happened (like that anyway) but you have to accept it because it's comics

This is about Hal so I will not be suckered into an off-topic reach to deflect from the issues of Hal's writing in a thread about HAL

Galan007
Originally posted by Phil
think there needs to be a distinction here

- first being Doom surviving based on his willpower, then somebody going back to change the timeline so that it wasn't the way it happened
- the second being from what I understand, that the timeline ALWAYS being that Doom was saved by Thunderbolts, and nothing was really changed at all.

From what I understand, the latter happened, no? As in, him being sliced apart by sharks being just an untrue story, and he was always saved by the Thunderbolts?

The first would be overwriting the timeline with time-travel, while the latter is a straight-up retcon. Indeed the latter is the ONLY event that happened canonically, per Marvel. That is the entire point of a retcon -- it erases a past event, and replaces it with the new version.

Doom was NEVER actually torn to bits by the sharks -- he was ALWAYS saved by the T-bolts. IOW, when Doom told the F4 that he survived said attack solely because of his hate/will, he was LYING. Plain and simple. thumb up

RadZoa
Indeed. thumb up

...Not that canon facts matter to ol' Hulkie-boy, but it's still good to point out nonetheless. thumb up What comic is that from? issue # ?

Philosophía
Indeed the latter is the ONLY event that happened canonically, per Marvel. That is the entire point of a retcon -- it erases a past event, and replaces it with the new version.

Doom was NEVER actually torn to bits by the sharks -- he was ALWAYS saved by the T-bolts. IOW, when Doom told the F4 that he survived said attack solely because of his hate/will, he was LYING. Plain and simple. thumb up thumb up

Then it's pretty clear it doesn't apply to Doom. It's like saying Pre-Retcon Beyond's feats apply to CC Beyonder.

Galan007
Originally posted by RadZoa
What comic is that from? issue # ? Dark Avengers #176.

Originally posted by Phil
Then it's pretty clear it doesn't apply to Doom. It's like saying Pre-Retcon Beyond's feats apply to CC Beyonder. Yessir. thumb up

TheHulkster
Well if the story wasn't overwritten, this is a hell of a feat for Doom. He'd kick Darkseid's ass.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/2/28028/800261-uatu_be_dead.jpg

eaebiakuya
But dont help him here in a will contest.

Out of curiosity, there are any handbook entry about this event?

And we can that no one in Marvel/DC is a match to Hal will at this moment?

Galan007
Well if the story wasn't overwritten, this is a hell of a feat for Doom. He'd kick Darkseid's ass.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/2/28028/800261-uatu_be_dead.jpg I guess if you can't use retconned material, 'feats' that took place entirely off-panel are the next best thing, eh? I mean, we have absolutely NO idea how Doom 'beat' the Watcher -- he could have used the IG for all we know. After all, he lied about surviving the shark attack on his own, so who's to say he didn't also lie about how the Watcher was killed? mmm

You're beginning to do to Doom what quanchi did to Thanos. Unfortunate as it may be(I really like Doom), it's still hysterical to watch you in action... Keep it coming, lol. thumb up

TheHulkster
I guess if you can't use retconned material, 'feats' that took place entirely off-panel are the next best thing, eh? I mean, we have absolutely NO idea how Doom 'beat' the Watcher -- he could have used the IG for all we know. After all, he lied about surviving the shark attack on his own, so who's to say he didn't also lie about how the Watcher was killed? mmm

You're beginning to do to Doom what quanchi did to Thanos. Unfortunate as it may be(I really like Doom), it's still hysterical to watch you in action... Keep it coming, lol. thumb up

Good Doom feats.

https://erlern.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/ff_568_13.jpg

So son. Did Quanchi sleep with your sister or something? You can't get him off of your pea brain.

Galan007
Good Doom feats.

https://erlern.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/ff_568_13.jpg

So son. Did Quanchi sleep with your sister or something? You can't get him off of your pea brain. So he's stronger than Johnny and Thing, eh? Holy smokes!!!! g007_derp

I don't have a sister. That joke would have been super-funny if I did, though. thumb up

TheHulkster
So he's stronger than Johnny and Thing, eh? Holy smokes!!!! g007_derp

I don't have a sister. That joke would have been super-funny if I did, though. thumb up

Well since you have no girlfriend, I figured....

Of course that scan shows Doom slinging him with TK. If you weren't a pre-school drop-out, you could see that the portrayal is one of an enhanced Doom. He is even shown standing over The Watcher without mentioning his name to Reed.

Maybe you should resume trying to convince us that the scientists in OWAW were wrong LOL.

Galan007
eek!

Good one! thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.