Superman's rogues gallery Vs his willingness to kill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
I remember reading (and enjoying) The Authority many years ago, but as far as i can recall, they didnt do recurring villains too much?
Their take no prisoners approach to problem solving usually wound up leaving bodies not baddies.

If Superman started being written in that 'style', who in his rogues gallery would you see coming back more than once, how and why?

DarkSaint85
Nope, they didn't really have a rogues' gallery - maybe the world's governments, if you count that.

Coming back? DD, obv. Cyborg Superman. DS. Not many of his villains would be able to come back from dying.

riv6672
So you think they'd all die?
What i'm asking is based on your phrasing, and i'm just curious if that was intentional.
Are there any rogues you think Supes couldnt put down even if he tried?

And thank you for starting the thread off on a good note. thumb up

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by riv6672
So you think they'd all die?
What i'm asking is based on your phrasing, and i'm just curious if that was intentional.
Are there any rogues you think Supes couldnt put down even if he tried?

And thank you for starting the thread off on a good note. thumb up

Ah, I read the thread as him already killing them - then who would be able to come back.

If we are going off who is he ABLE to kill....trickier.

Lex, for example, is just a squishy human- but he's a good guy in the eyes of Earth. If we go by pre-Flashpoint, he was even President.

Once Superman kills him, he's public enemy number one. The Authority did so well because they had no human ties (Superman has his friends and family) and had a base they could hide in, completely safe from attack (Superman does not).

Other villains, Toymen, Parasites and the like, can be killed. No one would really bat an eyelid. But Lex has the potential to really eff him up.

riv6672
You're looking at this at different levels (plot wise as opposed to just who's body he could fly through), i like that!
Consequences might be effective where raw power isnt.

dvampire
Preus. He deserves to be written correctly.

riv6672
A car?

spetznaz
Originally posted by riv6672
I remember reading (and enjoying) The Authority many years ago, but as far as i can recall, they didnt do recurring villains too much?
Their take no prisoners approach to problem solving usually wound up leaving bodies not baddies.

If Superman started being written in that 'style', who in his rogues gallery would you see coming back more than once, how and why?

I remember reading something some years back where Superman went bad (or dreamed he went bad, or something along those lines) when Lex Luther, in a battle suit, approached him and Superman spat (yes, spat) at it and the spittle tore through the entire suit.

A truly rogue Superman who is out to kill could technically rid the world of all villains (who are not at a higher level of power compared to him) in under 24 hours. A super dense, near-Flash velocity, being that is using super senses to locate villains ...the only survivors from the first wave of Kryptonian attack would be (1) those who immediately escape to pre-prepared lead-lined bunkers (maybe the likes of a Lex Luthor, Dr Sivana if he's smart enough to realize Kal is a greater threat to him than Marvel, and arguably the likes of Vandal Savage and Ras al Ghul who are smart enough to have contingencies), (2) people like Mirror Master who can escape into other dimensions (include to this category people like Black Adam who could potentially hide in the Rock of Eternity, people like Constantine who can escape into the House of Mystery, etc ...basically people who can go to places that Superman would not be able to follow, or would not want to follow); (3) people with abilities that could constantly keep them away from Kal (e.g. if Swamp Thing was a baddie he could simply diffuse all over the planet, maybe someone like the Atom going to his smallest size and hoping he's small enough not to be detected, maybe a Martian doing what Jjon did in Superman 1 Million and melding himself to the earth for centuries, maybe someone like Zoom constantly keeping himself just a fraction of a second out of skew to avoid Superman, etc), and finally (4) people who are simply too powerful for Kal to mess with, or who would be impossible to keep dead (the latter is hard ...for example it's impossible to kill Grundy, Doomsday and Plastic Man, but Grundy and Doomsdag could simply be tossed into outer space by a rogue Superman who doesn't give a crap, and even though Plastic Man could survive millennia while turned into microcopspic pieces at the bottoms of the sea - in Obsidian Age - , I doubt he would much enjoy being tossed into the sun, which is what Kal would do if PM was a villain).

spetznaz
I know several examples I used are not bad guys, but I was trying to show how power sets can be used to survive for those who are not outrightly 'too powerful.' People like Doomsday are not 'too powerful' ....just very powerful and impossible to kill, but a rogue Superman would destroy them outright.

The weakest 'too powerful' being I can think of is maybe that Wraith character from Superman Unleashed, who was basically a Superman who had absorbed more solar energy and had an absolute understanding of how to control powers. However, even that character was defeated by a non-rogue Superman (basically, Superman was so used to fighting 'stronger' characters than him that he had learned how to fight, while Wraith was only used to fighting weaker character ...thus Superman took Wraith to where both their powers were muted, and then proceeded to whoop that ass).

But a serious Wraith is probably the weakest 'too powerful' character I can think of.

riv6672
That was a big read(!), thank for all the input.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.