Mother! (2017)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
From director Darren Aronofsky. I respect his work a lot.

Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris

Drama, Horror, Mystery

IMDB

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE3MTU4MjA0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDczNTIzMjI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Patient_Leech
This is getting some pretty interesting responses...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/mother-buzz-is-darren-aronofskys-latest-the-years-most-controversial-movie/

riv6672
Pass.
Trailers have looked hella boring.

marwash22
trailer looked purposefully confusing and i have no idea what the movie is about.

i'm intrigued.

I'm also turned off because Javier Bardem and Jennifer Lawrence is a weird nonsensical couple.

riv6672
That pairing doesnt help, agreed.

Patient_Leech
Mother! will infuriate many viewers. In 2014, Darren Aronofsky's film Noah did the same.

Personally I've liked most of his movies. Thought Noah was (mostly) great. The only one I didn't care for so much was The Wrestler. I'm sort of curious how this new film relates to Noah.. hm...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Mother! will infuriate many viewers. In 2014, Darren Aronofsky's film Noah did the same.

Personally I've liked most of his movies. Thought Noah was (mostly) great. The only one I didn't care for so much was The Wrestler. I'm sort of curious how this new film relates to Noah.. hm...

kane and abel... the create\or to nane a few

riv6672
^^^(reads spoiler) ah.
Interesting. Still not interestED, though.

Khazra Reborn
Interesting movie, Didn't get it all, but interesting.

Flyattractor
Does Jenny get all nekkid in this?

Patient_Leech
^ Just go look up those noodies of her that leaked a couple years ago.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Does Jenny get all nekkid in this?

why?? should i contact the feds/police and have them arrest you for stalking??

hahahahahahahahaha

carthage
Might go see this tomorrow night

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
why?? should i contact the feds/police and have them arrest you for stalking??

hahahahahahahahaha

You are such a sad person on the inside aint you!?

BruceSkywalker
You are such a sad person on the inside aint you!?

nope.. i come on here to have fun..

you and others give it to me so efortlessly

riv6672
^^^thats the point of these sites.
Me, i can either laugh with or at, as long as i'm entertained.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^thats the point of these sites.
Me, i can either laugh with or at, as long as i'm entertained.

i agree

quanchi112
Odd film. Can't say I enjoyed it.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
nope.. i come on here to have fun..

you and others give it to me so efortlessly

So you admit that you are..... EASY!!!

BruceSkywalker
So you admit that you are..... EASY!!!

hahahaha..
you just admited you are easy

haahaha

next up will be the usual SJW shit

Sable
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This is getting some pretty interesting responses...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/mother-buzz-is-darren-aronofskys-latest-the-years-most-controversial-movie/

Your stupid movie flopped hard. How sad for you.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Sable
Your stupid movie flopped hard. How sad for you.

What are you, quanchi? lol. I didn't make the movie. I don't really have any investment in it.

I watched only part of this so far because I don't want to know too much, but it sounds like they have mixed feelings about it. They've gotten weird about what movies they actually review. I can't predict it. They didn't do War for the Planet of the Apes or Valerian. Whatevs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2oUaPFlbW8&t=1s

f2oUaPFlbW8&t=1s

Patient_Leech
And Stuckmann gives it an A-

That's a pretty damn good score coming from him.

IDvy0ybpOUI

Sable
Sorry no, the movie bombed. F

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/darren-aronofsky-fine-mother-s-f-rating-article-1.3512401

Since I am a reasonable person, we can take the average of the two, which give the movie a C -

A=90 points
F=50 points
140/2= 70.

So C-

Which still sucks ass.

Patient_Leech
^ I typically look at Rotten Tomatoes. And this film is about on par with his other films as far as reviews and audience appeal.

Patient_Leech
Watched this last night and while watching it it is quite puzzling. But I knew there was some method to his madness, so I looked it up. It's very surreal and dream-like with tons of symbolism in the way people act and what's going on. Thinking back to the film it's actually kind of impressive.

This link seems like they are on the right track...

http://collider.com/mother-movie-explained/#allegory

carthage
Will be checking this out when it hits Redbox

Patient_Leech
^ Be mindful that it's not a totally coherent film. He was going for a surreal, symbolic feel and not a coherent narrative. Personally I think that's the film's biggest flaw. And it's a pretty big flaw. It's still a pretty cool watch, but I think it would be a much stronger film if it had a proper narrative, even if it escalated too quickly and seemed ridiculous.

I didn't know what to expect, except that I know his films tend to be quite divisive. And sure enough the Audience Score on RT is exactly 50%. heh. And it's because it's sort of an art film more along the lines of The Fountain, but actually less coherent than that.

Rick Deckard
Been a big Darren Aronfsky fan ever since I saw Pi back in the 200X's on DVD. I've liked all of his other films since then, including The Wrestler, The Fountain, Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan, etc.

I did really like Mother, but didn't understand the film. I wasn't sure if the ending was supposed to be a metaphor or reality. I'll need to see this again & then maybe I can interpret it better - maybe.

Patient_Leech
^ The Collider link I posted a few posts up helped explain a few things about the film. I think it was probably on the right track as far as what was intended with the film. I haven't heard much of it, but I think Aronofsky was pretty open about the film being a metaphor in interviews and such. Watching the film I knew Aronofsky was up to something, but I had to do a little reading afterwards to see exactly what was going on.

I liked it to some extent personally, something a little different and thought-provoking.

That being said, I can't help but wonder if the film would have been a little more effective if it did have a more grounded and realistic story progression. I mean, still keep the metaphors and symbols, but have the story progress is a more natural and realistic way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.