leo's Secret Wars!!1!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas

leonidas
fans and onlookers, feel free to comment on odds here, fan favourites (if it's me) and general thoughts on what's gonna go down. no-prize to the person who first correctly picks the winners of the semis and the final champ!

nwoot

leonidas

abhilegend
I want to participate too ya old bum!!!!!

Digi
For the record, "Leo's Secret Wars" was not approved as a name before this thread was made.

no expression

The random draw was pretty hilarious (we handled it over Facebook Messanger), but I don't think anyone is completely disappointed in their draw. No one has been obviously eliminated via unlucky drafts, which was the hope all along.

DarkSaint85
It could have been much much much worse.

leonidas
thumb up

i neglected to mention prep time rules: each competitor is in an unbreakable/unbreachable warehouse that floats freely in the negative zone. nothing can be brought in and no one can leave the warehouse, but other than that they can do whatever they can in that 10s. the time is equaled among all competitors, with speed being unable to lengthen the subjective time.

judges for the matches have been contacted, and unless one of them needs to back out, fall like this:

me/ds--->bentley, style, damborg

phil/digi--->sin, zop, scot

i know i've said it a bunch, but thanks so much judges--we couldn't do this type of thing without people willing to read it and weigh in. we all really appreciate the time you're giving to us. thumb up

as mentioned in pm's, judgments are to be in no more than 3 days following the conclusion of the match. instructions on what to do with the judgments will be forthcoming soon. hope you all enjoy the festivities. smile

oh yeah--i know we have some virgin judges lol if you've not done one of these before, there are plenty of good examples of rendered votes in the bz matches in this forum.

Digi
Phil and I have both sent our writeups to Leo, so it should go up tomorrow.

Digi
We should market this in the vs. forum. Remind them all what quality debate looks like.

fdog

Also, my last post was made while relatively drunk. And having read through it the next day, I have to say I'm pleased at how coherent I stayed. I did forget a couple points I meant to make, but since we have three (non-writeup) posts, that's not an issue.

leonidas
thumb up and thumb up put it at the top of the vs forum mr mod.

Philosophía
Due to external time constraints, Digi won't be able to send all of his posts until tonight, so the deadline has been moved to tomorrow

We'll both have two more posts each.

Thanks to the judges thumb up

Scoobless
I see you four chose the path of least resistance to a victory by not inviting me.... well, good luck to whomever wins, you'll always know you're somewhere in the vicinity of second best (at most)

Bentley
Scoob still exists!!!?

Anyways, I sent my vote already, good luck to all in this first round.

DarkSaint85
thumb up did you use your sock account, toplel?

Philosophía
I'll have my final post up in max 5 hours.

I'll PM the judges individually, in case they don't look at this thread.

leonidas
Originally posted by Scoobless
I see you four chose the path of least resistance to a victory by not inviting me.... well, good luck to whomever wins, you'll always know you're somewhere in the vicinity of second best (at most)

pfft. we both know i'll always be #1 in your heart. thumb up and if you'd say hello once in a while, let people know you're still alive, maybe they'd invite you to their parties. busy with those kiddies i imagine?

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
thumb up did you use your sock account, toplel?

lol i still say it was carver. just too bad i had to get drawn into your lovers spat. i hate that. sneer

StyleTime
I voted that toplel stomped all of you. Digi and Philo included.

You can safely conclude the tourney tbh.

Digi
Originally posted by StyleTime
I voted that toplel stomped all of you. Digi and Philo included.

You can safely conclude the tourney tbh.

laughing out loud

thumb up

leonidas
both sets of judges--once all 3 votes are in post them in the battle threads. no need to wait until wed/thurs if everyone has their vote ready early. and i know i said it 1000 times, but thanks. this wouldn't work without the help. thumb up

Philosophía
We should do this more often.

Digi
Congrats to toplel!

Philosophía
He really socked everybody in the mouth.

Digi
Also, @Phil (still can't quote you shakefist ), I do hope this sort of thing picks up more. But from my own perspective, I'm on my way out. I don't read comics like I used to, so a lot of my hanging out here is just out of habit, and I actually hope to cut back on KMC some to focus on longer-term RL projects. And this experience is showing me I don't have a weekly life that's as conducive to intense tourney debating as I used to. It's still fun, it's just not something I'll be actively seeking out like I used to.

But I hope once we finish, it inspires more similar stuff. We used to have enough interest to run months-long tourneys with, like, 16 people in them. Not anymore. But smaller stuff is still doable.

Philosophía
We'll bait you with a Spiderman draft next tourney. uhuh

I hope the forum gets a refresh at some point, as far as interest in debates go. I think maybe half a dozen posters right now would be interested in having a go, too.

leonidas
during school months it's next to impossible for me to come close to taking part in one of these. but this is the...third consecutive summer i've run this little secret wars 4-man tourney and it's been great each time. easy to do if you have some reliable people to call on. and i've had people ask me if they can enter and turned them away--as you can see, scoob is still bitter about getting snuffed. thumb up

during school months i could happily judge an event, but i couldn't partake. but yeah, i encourage anyone to give it a go. to me it's all about momentum and keeping things moving forward. kmc hasn't run a successful longer tourney in a long while. too many variables. 4-man events ensure solid debating and are easy to manage time-wise, which is why i started it in the first place.

get 4 guys, make up some rules, and get 'er going. promotes a bit of comraderie in the forum too, which never hurts. thumb up

Digi
Yeah, you'll bait me with Spider-Man next tourney.

no expression

leonidas
laughing out loud

my thoughts almost exactly....

DarkSaint85
Hehe, I don't usually argue against the judges (mainly because I usually win lol), but a couple of things:

1. Damborg, the prep was off the field, in the Negative Zone. Only after the 10 secs is up, do we start on the golf course. So Leo can't use that to get out of the danger zone (as he had no idea where it is).

2. Style, you said there was no defense against power nullification. Check Spirals respect thread out, created by Leo. In it, he specifically says that the subject of the spell must remain stationary....which I addressed in my OP.

Otherwise, I don't want to harp too much on it because ultimately, judges are doing a favour lol, and I will abide by the decision!

-K-M-
Can I rip apart Leo's Auroras arguments now?

Philosophía
Originally posted by -K-M-
Can I rip apart Leo's Auroras arguments now? -K-M- reading the debate:

http://i.imgur.com/4gqukFf.png

Bentley
Originally posted by -K-M-
Can I rip apart Leo's Auroras arguments now?

Only if you accept Kang's technology >>> Eshu's technology

leonidas
@KM lol save it in case i use aurora some day. it could be a bad week though if phil doesn't win. clearly it will be because both guys used AF characters. thumb up

@ds: i think borg meant i used invisibility and decided to instantly port the moment i hit the BF... as for power nullification, i showed the scan where she nullified mags MID BATTLE. not sure if i found that scan later, or what. anyway, my idea was to try and stun you at least, THEN use it, to try and avoid the stationary argument. /shrug

i'm off til fri/sat now and will have ltd internet access from what i hear. i'll do my best to check in with the other match though. good luck gents. thumb up

DarkSaint85
Oh yeah, I'm not asking for a rerule, lol. I accept the judges decision.

@KM: I had very few scans to support what I wanted to say (her speed etc). And Aurora sucks thumb up

leonidas
laughing out loud

thumb up

Damborgson
Originally posted by leonidas
@KM lol save it in case i use aurora some day. it could be a bad week though if phil doesn't win. clearly it will be because both guys used AF characters. thumb up

@ds: i think borg meant i used invisibility and decided to instantly port the moment i hit the BF... as for power nullification, i showed the scan where she nullified mags MID BATTLE. not sure if i found that scan later, or what. anyway, my idea was to try and stun you at least, THEN use it, to try and avoid the stationary argument. /shrug

i'm off til fri/sat now and will have ltd internet access from what i hear. i'll do my best to check in with the other match though. good luck gents. thumb up

Yes that is it exactly thumb up

Good job again to both of you!

StyleTime
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Hehe, I don't usually argue against the judges (mainly because I usually win lol), but a couple of things:

1. Damborg, the prep was off the field, in the Negative Zone. Only after the 10 secs is up, do we start on the golf course. So Leo can't use that to get out of the danger zone (as he had no idea where it is).

2. Style, you said there was no defense against power nullification. Check Spirals respect thread out, created by Leo. In it, he specifically says that the subject of the spell must remain stationary....which I addressed in my OP.

Otherwise, I don't want to harp too much on it because ultimately, judges are doing a favour lol, and I will abide by the decision!
I welcome the critique, although I would like to clarify, in case you felt cheated.

You only claimed some of his spells, unspecifically, wouldn't affect moving targets in your OP. With that statement alone, I can't simply throw out Leo's offense. I approach these as if I know nothing of the character, so statements in Leo's respect thread don't apply, unless you make an argument yourself in the thread. I'd essentially be punishing Leo for an argument you never quite made.

Additionally, that sword cuts both ways. Leo did argue, with more support, that you needed to remain still to fire your calming light. I allowed you the benefit of the doubt, and let you blitz with full hippie aura active. I can't rightfully let you slide and hold him to another standard.

Regardless, it wouldn't change the outcome. I merely saw the power nullification as Leo's strongest move, but he can still down you with other attacks. Or stun you long enough to power cancel.

I know you weren't debating the result necessarily, but I don't want you to feel like I overlooked you there.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Digi
I don't read comics like I used to

Yeah, me neither. I think the last story I was reading was when the Avengers were trying to stop multiple reality earths from colliding.... never did find out how that one ended. I always figured I'd catch up on the backlog someday, but it just keeps getting bigger.

My DC backlog is even longer.

Hell.... I still don't know why Thor stopped using his hammer and the chick got it.

embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

Digi
Yeah, me neither. I think the last story I was reading was when the Avengers were trying to stop multiple reality earths from colliding.... never did find out how that one ended. I always figured I'd catch up on the backlog someday, but it just keeps getting bigger.

My DC backlog is even longer.

Hell.... I still don't know why Thor stopped using his hammer and the chick got it.

embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

Heh. I just washed my hands of most of it. Every now and then I catch up on the main Spider-Man run. But honestly, I haven't read a Marvel/DC arc otherwise in several years. I follow Ellis and Gaiman, and occasionally pick up a indie run that friends will recommend. But that's it.

For tourneys it barely matters, since there's so much history to pull from for most characters. But it's really not something I'd consider a hobby of mine anymore. It's not that I wouldn't enjoy it anymore - there are times I'll miss it - but as long as you replace it with more meaningful things (in your case, a family; in my case...not a family, but other good stuff) the times you miss it, for me at least, are pretty rare.

For what it's worth, I don't know what's going on with Thor either. embarrasment

Bentley
So I gather that a third vote is needed for Phil vs Digi? I wanted to reply through PM but failed miserably at it for some forum settings.

I'll start reading the debate (I intended to read it before, but of course, decided to read webcomics instead messed ) and get a vote in the next 48 hours tops -hopefully sooner rather than later-.

Smurph
I'm happy to help if you're short on time, Bentley.

Otherwise, looking forward to reading the judgements smile

Philosophía
Originally posted by Bentley
So I gather that a third vote is needed for Phil vs Digi? I wanted to reply through PM but failed miserably at it for some forum settings.

I'll start reading the debate (I intended to read it before, but of course, decided to read webcomics instead messed ) and get a vote in the next 48 hours tops -hopefully sooner rather than later-. Thank you. No hurry.

Type Philosophia with normal characters in recipient and you can send the pm

Bentley
I just sent my vote to Leo... Clumsily after clicking send in the middle of my write up. Pardon the lack of spellchecking on my part XD

Philosophía
Send it to me,.i have the votes. He's asleep now (usa)

Bentley
Ok, I read your message too late, but I just sent the vote.

Digi
Originally posted by Digi
Congrats Phil! Now go stick it to Leo in the finals; he could definitely stand to be brought down a peg.

wink

leonidas
mmm

Digi
As a lengthier response, I thought I was dealt the (slightly) more powerful amalgam combo, but there were also some tricky spots to maneuver with the Aegis shield and counters to Phil's tactics. So I knew it would be close.

I really only knew Jakita and Storm going in...I knew next to nothing about Phil's entire team, and was learning about Aegis as it went along. That made it difficult but also fun; the random drafts made us think on our feet more, so to speak, instead of going with characters we already knew really well. But it did cause a handful of strategic stumbles for me that I never recovered from, and that I knew would be weaknesses even as the fight was happening. After writeups, I even lamented to Leo that I knew I left a huge gap by not learning more about Thunder in time for the fight, and Phil smartly punished me for it. Capitalizing on that and a couple other miscues was more than enough, and that was that.

In all, a fun fight. Cheers!

Philosophía
I knew the battle would be fought over Aegis, and not Storm/Crystal, so I tried to insist on that as much as I could. Digi's initial tactic further helped me in that regard, since it played to my strengths and I didn't have to spent time countering specific abilities, allowing me to frame the discussion as him staying on the defensive behind a shield that has a number of caveats, and it would be only a matter of time before the opening would pop-up.

I started reading about Aegis halfway through my opening post, and I was going "dammit, not this, too" with every showing. My initial plan was to go underground and fight him from there, but I realized it would give him too much time to change tactics in case his initial ones don't work out, with the shield being too formidable to attack him with the environment, so I re-did it, focusing on specific attacks and not broad possibilities, as to forcing him to counter things that I knew he wouldn't be able to.

Good fight, and Digi's debating + combo was certainly a headache to get around.

leonidas
so phil vs moi in the finals. gonna start next week--prolly tues? will be hitting up a couple judges to do the finals. if any of you are particularly interested, and think you can get it judged within a couple days of it finishing, please hit me up with a pm. otherwise, i'll be forced to hunt you down. sneer

"Id"
I am digging this tournament. I am offended for the lack of invitation phucking forum snobs. uhuh

leonidas
(a) it's been postponed indefinitely. timing just wasn't great. we all ended up having times where we were away and stuff then it ran too close to the start of school for me. phil and i will try and finish at some point when we both have some time, but no plans for when. i WILL finish though.

(b) i have a pm from last year where i asked you to participate and you refused. snobs who live in snobby houses shouldn't throw big pieces of snob. sneer

"Id"
My apologies.
Let us never speak of this again.

leonidas
lol thumb up

Scoobless
Well I just double checked my PMs...... last one WAS from Leo, but it was from Dec 2015 complaining about me losing a match to Carver.

Dammit, I had blocked that from memory until right now.

He had a friggin monstrous amalgam of Doctor Doom and Wonder Woman though.

sad

(still think I won that match.... friggin judges just didn't wanna give me another title)

yes

leonidas
me losing a match to Carver.

and you wonder why the last pm i sent you was 2015. no expression

Scoobless
It was a fix

Scoobless
Originally posted by leonidas
if you'd say hello once in a while, let people know you're still alive, maybe they'd invite you to their parties.

Hello

no expression

leonidas
see, that wasn't so hard. big grin

a couple of us were batting around the idea of a high street bz. if things get off the ground i'll let you know.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.