Handmaid's Tale

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire
Very surprised there's no thread on this show. I think it's the best show I've seen since Breaking Bad, was incredibly impressed with it. Great acting and a very unique and compelling take on the dystopian future trope.

Also some very disturbing and powerful moments.

Any other thoughts?

samhain
Very tough show to watch, compelling but uncomfortable at times is what I mean. Think they did a great job of capturing the feel of the novel with the costumes and set design and the original content really does add extra layers that improve the story. The only slight downside for me would be that in the novel there's not much clue as to how much time has passed since the end of days so to speak IIRC, yet in the show (for obvious reasons) you can clearly tell that it's been around 7 or 8 years and it's a little difficult to see how a society like the one we see in the show could have established itself so thoroughly in such an amount of time. Looking forward to a second season as like The Man In The High Castle, the first season pretty much covered the whole story and we'll be venturing into new territory.

Old Man Whirly!
Very Prophetic show, I hope all its prophecy is over now, but somehow, I sadly don't think it is.

Robtard
First season was the best, it's still good but gone down hill since.

This show is a Rightist's wet dream, White men rule and are the final authority on everything, women are illiterate and subservient, minorities know their place and it's all held together by extreme violence and their skewed view of Christianity.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
First season was the best, it's still good but gone down hill since.

This show is a Rightist's wet dream, White men rule and are the final authority on everything, women are illiterate and subservient, minorities know their place and it's all held together by extreme violence and their skewed view of Christianity. I've continued to enjoy it, but yeah, season 1 was best. I think you put me on watching it.

Robtard
You're welcome smile

Patient_Leech
I'm planning to watch this show in the coming weeks, I hope.

Looks good. And disturbing.

Robtard
It should have ended a season or two ago, but I still plan on watching the last season as I've gone this far.

This still remains true:

Patient_Leech
Yeah, it's definitely a Christian Taliban takeover.

We watched the first 2 episodes.

Christian Nationalists would LOVE for some sort of pandemic of infertility, so they could have good practical reasons to subjugate women and outlaw abortion.

My question is why don't they use technology to spy on women? I suspect there is some explanation in the book about preferring to just use paranoid suspicion and ratting out neighbors, etc?

cdtm
So what, this is basically all about feminist and activist talking points? Men want to control women, religion wants to control women, abortion is about controlling women?

If that's what it is, I may have to give it a pass, I can get all that from the GDF. stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
I mean, I'm not very far into it yet, but I'm assuming it's more to do with Theocratic control than "feminist talking points." And it's using a specific sci-fi aspect (infertility) to build the world.

Patient_Leech
Almost done with Season 1. One more episode left.

Goddamn, this show is great so far.

BruceSkywalker
i have never watched, so should i?

cdtm
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I mean, I'm not very far into it yet, but I'm assuming it's more to do with Theocratic control than "feminist talking points." And it's using a specific sci-fi aspect (infertility) to build the world.

That would explain why I just say the book in a top 100 sci-fi books list.

I may have to watch this then.

Was playing a game called Crying Suns, which is very much inspired by Foundations and I-Robot, and a brief plot point had an artificial fertility device limiting conceptions accidentally stuck in the other direction, and creating a 99.9% fertility rate on a space station that can't absorb them. You're asked to fix it, which depends on a stat check (Having the right crew), and if you can't they're sool.

Because you can't just manufacturer condoms? 🤪🤪

Patient_Leech
Wife and I are making our way through Season 2 and this show is incredible.

I don't think my wife has ever been so addicted to a show. I was too tired last night to watch an episode, so she went and watched one without me! She gets mad if we don't watch it after the kids are down, heh..

She's a pretty liberal Catholic, but I hope it helps make her at least ever-so-slightly more skeptical of religion.

Robtard
My wife's an atheist, i started saying shit like "under his eye" around the household.

Patient_Leech
Praise be! laughing out loud

I'm the atheist in our household, but I might start doing it, too. 😆

Patient_Leech
Finished with Season 2, and we just started Season 3. This show is still great...

Robtard
I think three was the start of the downward slope for me. Sill a good show, but the golden period is over.

Patient_Leech
I think three was the start of the downward slope for me. Sill a good show, but the golden period is over.

Okay, we just finished the episode where Serena and Commander Waterford issued the (I'm assuming) international address to get "their" baby back.

It just seems that the whole world will know that they're full of shit, especially since your handmaid is there on camera, too. Why put her on camera with you?

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Okay, we just finished the episode where Serena and Commander Waterford issued the (I'm assuming) international address to get "their" baby back.

It just seems that the whole world will know that they're full of shit, especially since your handmaid is there on camera, too. Why put her on camera with you? The Republic of Gilead wants to normalize its practices to the rest of the world.

cdtm
The Republic of Gilead wants to normalize its practices to the rest of the world.

Much like America does with its crap, like the mutilation of minors because "Mah gender".

Robtard
@cdtm You're retarded.

cdtm
@cdtm You're retarded.

Ok groomer.

Patient_Leech
The Republic of Gilead wants to normalize its practices to the rest of the world.

I'm sure that's true.

We finished season 3.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/QBKagmzOgZnqadpx3B/200.gif

Except she didn't need to wait to actually get shot... why not just pretend to sprain your ankle or something?

But yeah, awesome season.

Started the first episode of Season 4 last night and I see what you mean, this doesn't seem like it's going to be as good. Hope it gets better.

Robtard
You've peaked, it's still decent, but the best of it is behind you now.

Patient_Leech
Is it going into a 6th season, or is it over?

Patient_Leech
^ I Googled and it seems to be getting a 6th and final season.

We're a few episodes into Season 5 now. The later seasons are still pretty good so far, just different in dealing with the aftermath of the previous seasons. Not gonna lie...

I cried like a baby when, after getting to Canada, June tells Luke about their daughter Hannah

That was a heart crusher.

Oh, also: a few years ago I would have thought it insane for women in Canada (in this case) to be actively endorsing the ways of Gilead with sex slavery and subjugation, but Trump cult behavior makes all that entirely plausible. (Not to mention womens subjugation under Islam--there are no doubt percentages of women brainwashed enough to petition for it.)

Patient_Leech
Have just the Season 5 finale left.

I see how the later seasons are not necessarily as good as the first 2-3 seasons, but I don't know, there's still a fascinating story arc. Serena definitely has a great arc mirroring June. It's great writing. So I'm still pretty impressed. It's probably going to be a difficult series to end, so season 6 will be interesting to see.

Robtard
It's still a good show up to 5, but 1-3 were the best, especially season 1-2, imo.

I wish they had wrapped it up already, can't imagine 6 will improve on 5. Hopefully it ends well.

Patient_Leech
Finished it, so I'm all caught up now.

I'm wondering why we haven't seen anything about Emily. All we were told is that she went back to Gilead. I'm wondering if they get back to her in Season 6.

But anyway, the season cliffhanger wasn't super amazing since we've already seen post-Gilead Serena and June interact a bit, so it's really teasing more of the same. More or less. But will still look forward to it.

Robtard
Part of me still hopes to see June beating Serena to death with her bare hands and then taking the baby and raising it. Serena deserves nothing good in life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.