Movies you expected to do well but bombed/underperformed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
The films for the thread being movies you personally thought should've performed better, but for some reason didn't. Did you expect the film do do better because of an actor that starred in it, or did the franchise/entry have good early reactions but ultimately failed to pan out? Do you think the film wo have a future cult status or will be remembered better in the future?

Surtur
Well I expected Dark Tower to be good and according to some reviews it is not...

Arachnid1
I thought Ghost in the Shell would actually be pretty good. Sounds like it wasn't

Surtur
John Carter of Mars.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I thought Ghost in the Shell would actually be pretty good. Sounds like it wasn't

Thought for sure it'd be a big hit being based on a classic anime, having Scar Jo, and featuring incredible visuals in the trailer. Nope.

Watchmen: usually hailed as the greatest comic book ever, again great marketing campaign showcasing incredible visuals. Nope.

One that surprised me last year from last year in January 2016 requires some explanation:

- January 2014 had Lone Survivor, Peter Berg's action masterpiece and one of the best modern warfare movies I've ever seen featuring incredible stunt work and - possibly - more realism than any war movie ever due to actually having the Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell, involved in production. January 2015 had American Sniper, one of the biggest successes in domestic box office history and Clint Eastwood's ode to Chris Kyle.

So out comes 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi:
- Helmed by Michael Bay, who always brings the action to the highest degree.
- Solid cast including Jon Krasinski, James Badge Dale, David Denman, Pablo Schreiber, Toby Stephens, Max Martini, etc, all of whom have a following from TV (and film, to a lesser degree).
- Based on the September 11, 2012, Benghazi attacks against two US govt factilities.
I figured for sure Michael Bay and crew had a hit on their hands. It performed well below expectations, though it is still one of my favorite movies from 2016 and one of my favorite modern warfare films.

Also, it's been said a lot, but BvS. Should've been a billion dollar winner at the least, but no-go.

Khazra Reborn
Homecoming didn't bomb, but I thought it would make Avengers money. Spidey is Marvel's most popular character by a landslide, and he was finally being introduced to the MCU.

John Mathew
There are too many to name.
50 shades of gray is one of them.

riv6672
Not me, but a guy i worked with thought JOHN CARTER was going to be the next big franchise.
I rather enjoyed it, petsonally.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.