Canon Darth Vader Bibliography Canonizes Important ROTS Novel Plot Point

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
http://i.imgur.com/H9l75OU.png

NewGuy01
This was something that was evident from the movie as well.

Rockydonovang
It was?

UCanShootMyNova
It wasn't.

Emperordmb
I think he's referring to the line "I know there are things about the Force that they're not telling me.

UCanShootMyNova
Lol, yeah, that doesn't make Anakin's desire to become a master so as to gain access to the archives secret knowledge "evident."

At least not to somebody who hasn't read the book.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Lol, yeah, that doesn't make Anakin's desire to become a master so as to gain access to the archives secret knowledge "evident."

At least not to somebody who hasn't read the book.

So people need to be spoon fed things? I mean it's not hard to put two and two together.

ares834

Zenwolf
Anakin gets nightmares of Padme dying, he gets rejected of being a Master and knows that there are secrets he can't get access to and gets angry. Anakin wants to save her.

Soo...how hard is it to come to that conclusion?

Emperordmb
He could easily just be bitching about the Jedi not trusting him and treating him like shit rather than freaking out because he doesn't know how to save Padme.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Emperordmb
He could easily just be bitching about the Jedi not trusting him and treating him like shit rather than freaking out because he doesn't know how to save Padme.

Or it can be all of that too? Why would it have to be either or?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Or it can be all of that too? Why would it have to be either or?
normal people aren't smart enough to infer the things you infer zen

ares834
Anakin gets nightmares of Padme dying, he gets rejected of being a Master and knows that there are secrets he can't get access to and gets angry. Anakin wants to save her.

Soo...how hard is it to come to that conclusion?

Because there is absolutely nothing in the film connecting being a master with getting access to the supposed secrets. It's just a large leap of logic especially since most of Anakin's complainants are about the Jedi not trusting him rather than getting access to the secrets.

Sure after multiple rematches you might make the connection and create the theory, but that certainly is not "evident".

UCanShootMyNova
I'm just saying the average movie viewer isn't going to put those pieces together.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
Because there is absolutely nothing in the film connecting being a master with getting access to the supposed secrets. It's just a large leap of logic especially since most of Anakin's complainants are about the Jedi not trusting him rather than getting access to the secrets.

Sure after multiple rematches you might make the connection and create the theory, but that certainly is not "evident".

Did Anakin not say that the Jedi have secrets that he doesn't have access to? I recall also saying something to Padme, that he wouldn't lose her.

I mean it might not say flatout, but it's highly likely that they do. But of course, yeah it's not flatout said and you could just say it's a theory.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
I'm just saying the average movie viewer isn't going to put those pieces together.

Fair enough I guess. The average movie viewer doesn't...well I'm just gonna stop there.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
normal people aren't smart enough to infer the things you infer zen

ares834
Did Anakin not say that the Jedi have secrets that he doesn't have access to?

Not that I know of, no. I only recall the quote DMB brought up.

Zenwolf
Not that I know of, no. I only recall the quote DMB brought up.

Ah found it.

ANAKIN: I wish I knew. More and more I get the feeling that I am being excluded from the Council. I know there are things about the Force that they are not telling me.

ares834
yes

Which is the quote DMB brought up. Like I said, there is nothing connecting him assuming the rank of Master to accessing these secrets. It seems more to be a question of trust in the film rather than solely rank.

NewGuy01
...which says exactly that.

ares834
Originally posted by NewGuy01
...which says exactly that.

Considering DMB had already brought up and then posted the line from the film a few post before, it seemed reasonable to assume Zen was referring to a different line.

Zenwolf
yes

Which is the quote DMB brought up. Like I said, there is nothing connecting him assuming the rank of Master to accessing these secrets. It seems more to be a question of trust in the film rather than solely rank.

I mean I guess, that was also a part too. But I mean, I just don't see it being hard to connect why Anakin wanted to be a Master even just from a movie standpoint.

But then again as said, the average movie viewer doesn't think...like that..which isn't too surprising.

ares834
I mean I guess, that was also a part too. But I mean, I just don't see it being hard to connect why Anakin wanted to be a Master even just from a movie standpoint.

But then again as said, the average movie viewer doesn't think...like that..which isn't too surprising.

I'd expect most people to assume it has to do with ego especially since the films focus greatly on this.

Zenwolf
I'd expect most people to assume it has to do with ego especially since the films focus greatly on this.

Well that and the whole love/obsession thing.

NewGuy01
Not sure why we're bothering to judge anything from the perspective of an average movie viewer in the first place. None of us are average viewers, what should be clear to us is obviously going to be different than what should be clear to casuals.

UCanShootMyNova
Yes.

Darth Thor
Yeah but it's only clear to us from the novelisation. Not from the movie.

NewGuy01
Speak for yourself, I suppose.

|King Joker|
You're probably just reading into the movie because of your background knowledge, tbh.

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

DarthAnt66
It's not blatant, but I agree with Sasukedc that there's a subtle nod to the plot point that fans could pick up without having to read the novel.

It's not necessarily a direct, "Anakin wants to be a Master to gain secrets to save Padme," but it's consistent within Episodes II and III that the Council is not only seemingly restraining him and his growth, but also actively keeping secrets and withholding information. Anakin's remark that he believes the Council are not telling him information about the Force can blatantly be perceived as Anakin thinking they are just sitting on information that could otherwise save Padme, since it comes up in the same conversation that they are discussing Padme's potential death. Palpatine comes in and extends a hand to Anakin, telling him that he'll teach him what the Council doesn't want him to know.

NewGuy01
Look what you've done, Syn.

UCanShootMyNova
I'm so sorry. sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.