Ben Kenobi > Darth Vader - Canon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
From Star Wars Made Easy, released three days ago:

Obi-Wan seems to be winning the climatic duel with Darth Vader, even calling his opponent "only a master of evil."

Emperordmb
Whelp... there goes using Old Ben's fight with Maul to lowball Ahsoka thumb up

ares834
"Seems". Plus when Ben says that line he and Vader hadn't even crossed blades yet so....

FreshestSlice
Kek. thumb up

DarthAnt66
Well the narrator isn't omniscient, hence the "seems," but the point is pretty obvious.

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by ares834
"Seems". Plus when Ben says that line he and Vader hadn't even crossed blades yet so....
Debunked in the third post, damn. laughing out loud

Zenwolf
Some of the writing in the book is soo...cheesy from the scans I've seen.

That also said, I like how it said Luke become an ace pilot even before any training...so I guess flying his T-16 through Beggar's Canyon doesn't count as training...right.

DarthAnt66
Yeah the book was cringe.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Some of the writing in the book is soo...cheesy from the scans I've seen.

That also said, I like how it said Luke become an ace pilot even before any training...so I guess flying his T-16 through Beggar's Canyon doesn't count as training...right.

Probably means "Force" training.

Was same with Anakin. Even though they were both probably naturally using the force to aid their ace piloting.

That said, Book does sound cringe.

nfactor1995
Sure didn't look like he was winning in the movie...lol

Rockydonovang
Well that's two sources.

Though I can think of multiple sources that say Vader won so....

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Emperordmb
That should have went away when the fight was outright explained to be a result of storytelling choices, and their specific relationship as fighters, yet here we are. sad

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Emperordmb

Don't get how any of that works.

As for Ben vs Vader, it was probably about equal. Just as ROTS Anakin vs ROTS Obi-Wan was pretty equal. Kenobi having trained Vader and being a defensive combatant helps to bridge the power gap between them.

Kurk
lol Vader is trash

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Darth Thor
being a defensive combatant helps to bridge the power gap between them. Pretty sure that Vader fought cautiously, not defensively.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Pretty sure that Vader fought cautiously, not defensively.

Kenobi.

|King Joker|
Did the person who wrote the quote actually watch the fight, lmfao?

Darth Thor
Vader: "You should not have come back"

Ben: "Why not? I'm kicking your shit in"

thesithmaster
"Seems" being the key word.

Rebel95
Lol if he was winning the fight why did he have to sacrifice himself to let Luke escape? It's like the author didn't even watch the movie

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Rebel95
Lol if he was winning the fight why did he have to sacrifice himself to let Luke escape? It's like the author didn't even watch the movie
In fairness, in canon, it's not clear he ceded the fight because of inferiority.

For one thing, storm troopers were coming to give Vader support.

For another, Letting himself die would stop Luke from doing the suicidal thing and stick around for the hope ben would escape with them.

Luke escaping was far more important in the grand scheme of things than Ben escaping or even killing Vader

Darth Thor
In fairness, in canon, it's not clear he ceded the fight because of inferiority.

For one thing, storm troopers were coming to give Vader support.

For another, Letting himself die would stop Luke from doing the suicidal thing and stick around for the hope ben would escape with them.

Luke escaping was far more important in the grand scheme of things than Ben escaping or even killing Vader

But if he killed Vader he could have easily killed the stormtroopers and escaped with Luke.

So it's pretty clear.

With Ben dead, Vader could have easily stopped Luke. He was just "hoping" for the distraction of his body disappearing.

The Troopers were just watching, and Han, Luke plus the Millennium Falcon could have shot them down had they started interfering.

Rockydonovang
But if he killed Vader he could have easily killed the stormtroopers and escaped with Luke.

You're assuming Ben could immediately claim victory over a peer. Given their parity, finishing a duel would have undoubtedly been a lengthy affair.

STARWARS.com agrees with me:
http://www.starwars.com/films/star-wars-episode-4-a-new-hope-story-gallery

NewGuy01
Vader is a level four. Kenobi's a six. Who did you think was going to win? smile

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Vader is a level four. Kenobi's a six. Who did you think was going to win? smile
yes

Darth Thor
You're assuming Ben could immediately claim victory over a peer. Given their parity, finishing a duel would have undoubtedly been a lengthy affair.

Yeah so even if Obi-Wan could win there was at least enough parity that it would take him a very long time.

STARWARS.com agrees with me:
http://www.starwars.com/films/star-wars-episode-4-a-new-hope-story-gallery

All it says there is Obi-Wan sacrificed himself for Luke to escape.

Rockydonovang
Yeah so even if Obi-Wan could win there was at least enough parity that it would take him a very long time.

I never said otherwise.

All it says there is Obi-Wan sacrificed himself for Luke to escape.
Which confirms an alternative explanation to it being a result of inferiority

Darth Thor

Which confirms an alternative explanation to it being a result of inferiority

My point being he's probably not superior. If he was he likely wouldn't need to sacrifice himself for Luke to escape.

Rockydonovang
My point being he's probably not superior. If he was he likely wouldn't need to sacrifice himself for Luke to escape.
Don't think anyone said he was superior

NewGuy01
Apparently Lucas & friends did. smile

Darth Thor
^ Ha! Where's that from? Making of ESB?

NewGuy01
The annotated screenplays, IIRC.

FreshestSlice
And then he helped write a book that completely contradicted that. Almost as if he was making this shit up as he went along.

Rebel95
Lol^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.