Most popular Marvel character in the DCU?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
If their reality was destroyed, and they were sent into the DCU, which one of these characters would integrate the easiest and become the most popular icons?

Gladiator

Nova Prime

Hulk (Banner)

Thor (Jane)

Blue Marvel

Spiderman

Silver Surfer

ShadowFyre
Spiderman, Surfer, and Jane.

-Pr-
Blue Marvel and Nova Prime would be who I would think would fit the best in to the existing landscape. As far as popularity goes, I dunno.

carthage
Kind of curious to know how Hulk would fit in currently

carver9
Thor, Hulk and Blue Marvel.

-Pr-
If they were going to use the Hulk, I think he'd work really well in something like Justice League Dark. The way the other teams are set up, he just wouldn't fit imo.

BruceSkywalker
spidey, hulk and jane

but once batman discovers them they'll be f%ucked lol

Faceless808
Spider-Man and Silver Surfer

carver9
Originally posted by -Pr-
If they were going to use the Hulk, I think he'd work really well in something like Justice League Dark. The way the other teams are set up, he just wouldn't fit imo.

I would see him more as a villain tbh. I think they would take the Doomsday/Konvikt approach with Hulk. They are currently building a character just like him in DC to fit that role.

carver9
Thor would make a great addition to the JLA or JSA imo. Mainly the JSA.

-Pr-
Originally posted by carver9
I would see him more as a villain tbh. I think they would take the Doomsday/Konvikt approach with Hulk. They are currently building a character just like him in DC to fit that role.

He'd be awful in that role, tbh.

I mean, sure, he might fight the Justice League once or twice, but he doesn't really fit that antagonist role without making him not the Hulk.

And to be fair, he's no Konvikt or DD.

marwash22
Blue Marvel has to be the answer. He's already a Superman ripoff, and Val-Zod is a ripoff of that ripoff... so Blue Marvel could easily be slipped right into that "Black Superman" role (or villain), as a long lost Kryptonian.

Thor could obvious fit into their Norse mythology

i could see Gladiator being passed off as either a Lantern or a even some offshoot of the Kalanor race.

marwash22
the others, just visually, don't look like they'd fit in very well.

riv6672
Spider-man would be popular no matter where he went.

marwash22
wait, are we judging this based on the character's pre-established history or are we treating the characters like brand new creations that never existed in Marvel comics?

if it's the former, the clear answer is Spider-Man and it doesn't matter if he fits into the DC landscape, he'd integrate just fine because he has a huge fan following.

riv6672
Yeah, it doesnt matter what criteria is used, Spider-man will be become/remain popular regardless.

carver9
He'd be awful in that role, tbh.

I mean, sure, he might fight the Justice League once or twice, but he doesn't really fit that antagonist role without making him not the Hulk.

And to be fair, he's no Konvikt or DD.

I'm backing this off of what DC is currently doing with guys like the Hulk. I can't think of a single Hulk like character that is playing the hero role in DC.

I agree, he isn't a Konvikt or DD, he is better.

smile

marwash22
I can't think of a single Hulk like character that is playing the hero role in DC. Lobo

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by marwash22
Lobo

thumb up also depends on how close you want to get (am sure people will nitpIck Lobo, for example).

Dual personalities fighting for control, one who is smart and the other a raging monster? Etrigan.

Dumb superstrong brick who smashes, but is loyal and does good? Bizarro.

Uncontrollable rage monsters who still manage to do good? The entire Red Lantern Corps under Guy.

There are loads of Hulk like characters, some who fit the template better than others, of course. But am sure any character named will be dismissed as 'no, it's not like Hulk because XYZ'

riv6672
Orion.

DarkSaint85
Good pick.

He's constantly at war with his aggressive nature too!

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Good pick.

He's constantly at war with his aggressive nature too!
I was going to mention that, but really just wanted to ficus on the dumb brick part. wink

carver9
Lobo

Is Lobo like the Hulk?

marwash22
strength, aggression, healing factor, genius.

Philosophía
Gladiator - lol, he'd be a single issue side-character

Nova Prime - Teen Titans, maybe. Would do ok.

Hulk (Banner) - have recurring fights with Solomon Grundy

Thor (Jane) - Wonder Woman supporting character, with multiple appearances

Blue Marvel - The Atom's sidekick

Spiderman - easily the most successful on the list

Silver Surfer - Green Lantern recurring character

-Pr-
I'm backing this off of what DC is currently doing with guys like the Hulk. I can't think of a single Hulk like character that is playing the hero role in DC.

smile

You keep trying to make it happen; it's not gonna happen. You're not even close to being in the same ballpark.

riv6672

smile
You keep trying to make it happen; it's not gonna happen. You're not even close to being in the same ballpark.
https://media.giphy.com/media/5G98t8QjqBLK8/giphy.gif

marwash22
Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah, it doesnt matter what criteria is used, Spider-man will be become/remain popular regardless. you're saying that while ignoring the publication history of the character that made him popular, which would no longer exist in this scenario.

if we're ripping Spider-man out of Marvel's publication history and just dropping him into DC comics... there's no Uncle Ben story, none of his rogues exists, there's no "Gauntlet" story, no "Grim Hunt" story, no "the night Gwen Stacy died" story... etc., if none of that exists, why do you think plopping him into DC as a blank slate would result in him being as popular a character as he is now?

DarkSaint85
Because people love spiders.

riv6672
No, i said he'd be popular no matter what criteria was used, including the one you're describing.

Josh_Alexander
Spider Man

meep-meep
Originally posted by Stoic
If their reality was destroyed, and they were sent into the DCU, which one of these characters would integrate the easiest and become the most popular icons?

Gladiator

Nova Prime

Hulk (Banner)

Thor (Jane)

Blue Marvel

Spiderman

Silver Surfer

Surfer
Thor
Spiderman

The rest.

Those three would bring a new (maybe not entirely but new enough) history and powers set that would make an immediate and noticeable impact on DC. It would be pretty cool, imo.

marwash22
Originally posted by riv6672
No, i said he'd be popular no matter what criteria was used, including the one you're describing. that doesn't make sense.

mighty adam
Spiderman would be popular. Nova prime and blue marvel best fits

riv6672
that doesn't make sense.
Honestly, neither does what you're take on it.
No big deal.

marwash22
it's not my take, it's what the thread is asking... who would be the most popular character if Marvel comics canon was destroyed and these characters are thrown into DC comics.

you said spiderman would be the most popular no matter the scenario, and i asked how you can say that when the things that made Spiderman popular to this point, would no longer exist.

In the scenario the thread is asking us to abide by, NOTHING spiderman has done in his publication history has ever happened, and Spider-Man is a brand new character with no history.

so why are you so sure the brand new character with no history, no Green Goblin, Kingpin, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane, etc., would automatically be the most popular?

riv6672
Because he's Spider-man.

marwash22
lol. okay.

Sin I AM
Imo Parker would be ok as long as he didnt get stuck in Gotham

Smurph
If Spider-Man could carve out some space in the (relatively) less dense DC setting of non-Gotham street-level adventuring, he could do really well. The others would come too close to existing characters and fall in their shadows (as Phil was saying).

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Smurph
If Spider-Man could carve out some space in the (relatively) less dense DC setting of non-Gotham street-level adventuring, he could do really well. The others would come too close to existing characters and fall in their shadows (as Phil was saying).

Thats what i was thinking but id have to be an all new city tailored specifically for him cuz every other city hed be in their shadow

Smurph
Outside of the OP list, I think Iron Man or Wolverine could do well too, just because they don't have obvious prominent A-list analogues in DC. Certainly lots of characters that are similar, but still with room for them to shine.

riv6672
lol. okay.
He's a great, unique character, in a niche not populated by the most popular DC characters, who are either hella street/Bat family, or top tier/JLA members/space heroes/gods.
He's going to be popular, capture the imagination, no matter what.

Or you can just go with he's Spider-man, that works too!

Smurph
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Thats what i was thinking but id have to be an all new city tailored specifically for him cuz every other city hed be in their shadow Maybe. Or just a less visited part of an existing setting, like Metropolis or Keystone City.

riv6672
New York would still work.
EVERY hero in the MU is in New York, and Spidey still does fine.
DC on the other hand is mostly one city per hero, and those heroes dominate their cities.
New York is sort of a neutral zone for DC.

marwash22
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Thats what i was thinking but id have to be an all new city tailored specifically for him cuz every other city hed be in their shadow Originally posted by riv6672
New York would still work.
EVERY hero in the MU is in New York, and Spidey still does fine.
DC on the other hand is mostly one city per hero, and those heroes dominate their cities.
New York is sort of a neutral zone for DC.

good point.

New York doesn't exist in DC the way it does in Marvel, I mean, it's there, but not really. You could put him in NY and build around him.

so yeah, after a while of building up NY, Spider-man would likely be the most popular.

that's a better answer than... "He's Spider-Man"

Mindset
good point.

New York doesn't exist in DC the way it does in Marvel, I mean, it's there, but not really. You could put him in NY and build around him.

so yeah, after a while of building up NY, Spider-man would likely be the most popular.

that's a better answer than... "He's Spider-Man" He is Spiderman though.

SamZED
Spider-man would be more popular in DC. They know how to make their poster boys/girls shine during big events. Marvel usually have Spider-man/Wolverine etc. take a back seat to other heroes during major events.

meep-meep
Originally posted by SamZED
Spider-man would be more popular in DC. They know how to make their poster boys/girls shine during big events. Marvel usually have Spider-man/Wolverine etc. take a back seat to other heroes during major events.

thumb up

riv6672
Originally posted by Mindset
He is Spiderman though.
laughing

-Pr-
Yeah, I could see them building up New York. The JSA and the SCW might have had some parts there, but it's not the same as how the other cities have been built up.

riv6672
^^^The only other NYC centric property (where the city is a big part of the book's feel) DC has had is The New Teen Titans.
Under Wolfman & Perez the city was a minor chacter in the book.

Yeah, Spidey'd have no problem making DC's NYC his own stomping ground.

shadowknight
1, Spiderman

2. Blue Marvel

3. Thor

"Id"
Spidery>the reset.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.