Thanks New Canon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deathslash
The title more or less says it all. We can all complain about what we don't like in other threads, but this one is devoted to what we like about the current canon.

Zenwolf
Ah....hmm...what do I like about the new Canon?...

Not much if I'm honest.

The only thing I'm consistently liking if I had to pick something, is the Vader series.

deathslash
Originally posted by Zenwolf

Not much if I'm honest.

The only thing I'm consistently liking if I had to pick something, is the Vader series. that's just fine with me. You can even bring up individual things that you like. For example, I just saw the episode of Rebels where Rex and Kanan had to break Ezra and some of the other rebels out of prison. Loved every second of it.

Rockydonovang

Not much if I'm honest.

The only thing I'm consistently liking if I had to pick something, is the Vader series.
Yea, I wouldn't call recent Vader comicsconsistent . I recall the first four messing up Vader's character

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Yea, I wouldn't call recent Vader comicsconsistent . I recall the first four messing up Vader's character

Ah dang, not the current one but the one before. Forgot there were two. Though consistently liking it isn't the same as it being consistent itself.

UCanShootMyNova
The first run of Vader comics.

The Kanan comic series.

The Thrawn novel.

The references to Plagueis in Tarkin.

Surprisingly, Phasma.

Rebel95
I just like the fact that it has started it's own consistent continuity

UCanShootMyNova
It's had some trouble there actually...

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Rebel95
I just like the fact that it has started it's own consistent continuity

The latest SW comic though was just...so....ugh..I regret reading it.

Zentrex
I would have said a new continuity where things are less ridiculous and more approachable to a larger audience, but the new canon essentially seems to be copying legends. The only things which are different are just weird, and worse. I'd rather not see Thrawn and Plagueis in their older incarnations and see a new universe with new types of stories.

Oh, look at me, it's a thread about appreciating the new canon and I'm already ranting about it. Okay, here's what I like:

Books which connect to the films before the film has even come out. I like the "journey to" ad campaigns. They're fun.

I also like the new take on star wars that now exists for a new generation. I personally like the new movies (as action/adventure sci-fi, not as star wars films) and the fact that new kids will be introduced to classic jokes, tropes, and techniques we're all nostalgic about through these films is kind of exciting.

I also really like that they've given star wars a new life. I get excited about star wars. That's all.

Kurk
Not much to like when compared to the EU, but if I had to choose:

- Thrawn
- Pre-Vizsla, Bo-Katan, Mandalorians in general in Rebels

That's really it; but I thought they handled them well.

Freedon Nadd
Only comics.

Galan007
TCW and Rebels(to a lesser extent) were great because they added a LOT of depth to SW as a whole.

Nearly all of Marvel's SW comics have been consistently good, and have treated most characters involved really well(Vader's first series was basically one giant respect thread, lol.)

The Thrawn and Tarkin novels are fantastic. Here again, they added a LOT of depth to these characters(Thrawn in particular.)

I also enjoyed the Empire's End trilogy, Phasma, and even Dark Disciple for the same general reason(s).

Tbh, there's far more that I have enjoyed about the new canon than I've disliked about it, but that's just me... /shrug

Zentrex
Thanks for reminding me Galan, I actually forgot to mention that I liked the consistent depth they've been giving the universe. The loth-wolves and the world betwen worlds, and so on. I think that's an underrated part of the new canon.

Zenwolf
Not particularly new stuff, but yeah, some of the universe building has been alright.

Zentrex
Not new?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Zentrex
Not new?

World building I mean, it's not new, not the things that have been put aren't.

Though only the Lothal wolves and those Crystal/Salt Foxes have been interesting to me.

Feel like the world between worlds was almost canon ruining to me.

Lets not even go into the hyperdrive nonsense in TLJ...bleh.

Zentrex
yeah, okay, good point.

Galan007
Feel like the world between worlds was almost canon ruining to me. See, I actually like the concept of TWBW, because it shows us the full scope/depth of the force like we've never seen before in canon.

Aside from that, it also makes Palpatine's end goal of attaining legitimate universal godhood seem more realistic -- now we at least know it was actually possible for him to become that powerful, and wasn't just Sith pipe dreams.

That said, the fact that TWBW was essentially just used as a plot-device to ensure Ahsoka's survival was phucking dumb. thumb down

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Galan007
See, I actually like the concept of TWBW, because it shows us the full scope/depth of the force like we've never seen before in canon.

Aside from that, it also makes Palpatine's end goal of attaining legitimate universal godhood seem more realistic -- now we at least know it was actually possible for him to become that powerful, and wasn't just Sith pipe dreams.

That said, the fact that TWBW was essentially just used as a plot-device to ensure Ahsoka's survival was phucking dumb. thumb down

I mean it's just...time travel ehh...it really could have solved a whole mess of issues at once.

Galan007
You could 'what if' Star Wars to death, though.

I just like the implications of TWBW, because it shows us that the force is truly the linchpin that holds the SWU together at a cosmic/metaphysical level- past, present, and future.

Cool concept, but again, it was really just introduced as a plot-device for Ahsoka. ermm

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Galan007
You could 'what if' Star Wars to death, though.

I just like the implications of TWBW, because it shows us that the force is truly the linchpin that holds the SWU together at a cosmic/metaphysical level- past, present, and future.

Cool concept, but again, it was really just introduced as a plot-device for Ahsoka. ermm

True I suppose you could.

Also yeah, I wasn't too big on that, much less her surviving throughout all the OT and beyond.

I feel like Rebels pulled an Able(only far longer) with Rex and Ahsoka and it just feels weird for them to be where they are.

Galan007
Totally agree.

Tzeentch
It dialed down on the power creep we'd gotten in the Old republic and New Republic/NJO eras which is good.

It also erased a shit ton of frankly awful story lines. Everything past the first Zhan trilogy (by in-universe chronology) was basically dogshit sans a few stand-outs like I, Jedi. Draining the swamp (heh) was a good move on Disney's part. They ****ed up by replacing it all with the equally shitty timeline that is the sequel trilogy, but they get points for effort.

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the canon of the series going forward. It's been hard watching them treat the Big Three like shit on screen, but the number of pre-existing characters is growing pretty thin. Once Leia, Chewie and Ghost-Luke are permanently out of the way we'll have an entirely OC cast and Disney's writing is competent enough to handle that.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Tzeentch
It dialed down on the power creep we'd gotten in the Old republic and New Republic/NJO eras which is good.

It also erased a shit ton of frankly awful story lines. Everything past the first Zhan trilogy (by in-universe chronology) was basically dogshit sans a few stand-outs like I, Jedi. Draining the swamp (heh) was a good move on Disney's part. They ****ed up by replacing it all with the equally shitty timeline that is the sequel trilogy, but they get points for effort.

I'm actually fairly optimistic about the canon of the series going forward. It's been hard watching them treat the Big Three like shit on screen, but the number of pre-existing characters is growing pretty thin. Once Leia, Chewie and Ghost-Luke are permanently out of the way we'll have an entirely OC cast and Disney's writing is competent enough to handle that.

Not too sure on the power creep given Rey....

But we'll see. Also you sure their writing is that competent? Because the ST has been filled mostly with Disney only characters and it hasn't...well gone that well given what TLJ did with most of the plot points set up.

I wanna be optimistic but kinda hard to given I don't see what EP 9 could really bring, other than the Knights of Ren. That and it seems they are also bringing Yoda back, for whatever reason...seems kinda dumb.

Tzeentch
edit

NemeBro
Not too sure on the power creep given Rey.... Did Rey at some point open up wormholes in space that destroy fleets, eat the life on planets, or manipulating black holes? Because I'm pretty positive that's what Blax meant by power creep. What you're talking about is more a narrative issue with Rey's relative power in the mythos being pretty unjustified.

Zenwolf

xPRIMEx
Vader comics

Freedon Nadd
Please don't get turn into DBZ. Please stay in the realms of reality.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd

Star Wars isn't based on reality so.....yeah. The minute the Force was introduced, reality went right out the window. Well....among other things.

Zentrex
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
For once I agree with Nadd

Zentrex
Star Wars isn't based on reality so.....yeah. The minute the Force was introduced, reality went right out the window. Well....among other things.

I think by "reality" Nadd means "internal logic of the universe".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.