How powerful is Kylo Ren? (TFA)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
In The Force Awakens, it's kinda hard to tell exactly how good Kylo is because of the circumstances of his duel with Rey. But he does have some impressive feats in the movie. How powerful do you think Kylo is, as of TFA? Who is someone in canon that he is comparable to? And how much do you expect he will have grown by The Last Jedi?

NewGuy01
I'll decide how good he was in TFA after I see TLJ.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by NewGuy01

darthbane77
Based on everything we have about him, I'd say he's > an above average Jedi Master. Maybe lower level Council Member.

Rebel95
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I agree, it's just speculation at this point but it's also possible to make a rough estimate. From what I've seen/read about him, I have him around the level of people like Asajj Ventress or Savage Opress. Maybe slightly inferior. There's plenty of quotes that hype him up and make him out to be top tier, but what we see on screen is pretty much the opposite

UCanShootMyNova
Personally I'd put him at Jedi Knight level. Above the average knight in power but below in knowledge/skill.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Rebel95
it's kinda hard to tell exactly how good Kylo is because of the circumstances of his duel with Rey.

Of course there were no circumstances when Rey overpowered Kylo telepathically. Duels aren't the only ways to compare power levels.

relentless1
Qui Gon >> Kylo Ren

Prof. T.C McAbe
Below Obi-Wan as a Padawan or Luke after Bens training.

Kurk
He has great potential. I believe that collectively, all force users become more powerful with the times (like natural selection) so Kylo may just be average for his period but above average when compared to the prequel period.

nfactor1995
He had some of the best Force feats I've seen in the movies, but then that's just the movies. Holistically his potential is probably on par with someone like Vader, he's just not mastered it yet and his sabers skills are meh. All speculation tho.

quanchi112
He will eclipse Vader in this film. As I've said from the beginning both he and Snoke will be greater than Vader and the emperor by the trilogy's end.

AncientPower
He's extremely powerful, then again I've actually read the literature about him.

Rebel95
Originally posted by AncientPower
He's extremely powerful, then again I've actually read the literature about him.
thumb up Plenty of quotes make him out to be very powerful, which probably means that Rey just has a lot of raw power that she tapped into to resist his telepathy/outduel him.

AncientPower
The duel doesn't count. The novel makes it explicitly clear that he could barely even connect to the Force because of that bowcaster wound. It is also stated that he could barely stand.

Rebel95
No I agree, the movie even goes out of its way several times to demonstrate how powerful Chewie's bowcaster is.

I'm just saying that Rey probably has a lot of raw power that she was able to tap into as well, because Kylo was actually winning the duel--even with his injury--until he mentioned the force to her.

Darth Thor
^ None of that matters given Rey already overpowered him in the mind reading/resisting contest. No one was injured at that point.

AncientPower
The novel makes no reference to any overpowering, Kylo is stunned by her power and she reverses it which catches him offguard.

It is very important that he was beating her ass despite his massive centerpoint injury, because she needed an enlightenment moment to defeat even a severely wounded Kylo.

Haschwalth
Kylo is conflicted as heck during TFA, and we all know how detrimental it to ones connection to the force, well in legends it.

Haschwalth
I'd wager Kylo in his prime would, compete with ReySue Prime.
Afterall he is 1/4th chosen one.

Darth Thor
The novel makes no reference to any overpowering, Kylo is stunned by her power and she reverses it which catches him offguard.

He still couldn't read her mind and went to Snoke for help.

The suggest that she might have had a level of parity agains him in their sword fight even without his injury.

NTJack0
Strong in the force, his lightsaber skills are Padawan tier though.

Rebel95
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ None of that matters given Rey already overpowered him in the mind reading/resisting contest. No one was injured at that point.
Yeah which is why I said that Rey probably has a lot of raw power that she was able to tap into

Haschwalth
Originally posted by NTJack0
Strong in the force, his lightsaber skills are Padawan tier though.
Even padawans would school him.

Rebel95
Nah

Haschwalth
Nah
He got cut by finn, using a lightsaber.

Still annoys me on how they changed the physics of a lightsaber.

Darth Thor
Yeah which is why I said that Rey probably has a lot of raw power that she was able to tap into

Without training none of that should matter.

Rebel95
What does that have to do with anything? Just because she wasn't trained doesn't mean she can't use the force lmao

nfactor1995
Originally posted by Haschwalth

Wait, they changed the physics of a lightsaber? In what way?

quanchi112

Still annoys me on how they changed the physics of a lightsaber. He was injured prior to this.

ares834
He still couldn't read her mind and went to Snoke for help.

The suggest that she might have had a level of parity agains him in their sword fight even without his injury.

No it doesn't.

HentaiLover
He sucks ass

AncientPower

Read the fvcking novel.

Kylo plays with him the entire fight until he gets serious and eviscerates him.

quanchi112
Originally posted by HentaiLover
He sucks ass False.

Rebel95
Read the fvcking novel.

Kylo plays with him the entire fight until he gets serious and eviscerates him.
Yup thumb up as soon as he starts taking Finn seriously he takes him out in a matter of seconds, while being severely injured

quanchi112
Kylo's training will be complete. Mark my words he will be superior to Vader in abilities in the film. I'll be looking for the Ot Vader fans when this comes out.

DarthAnt66
Johnson has said he's not as good as Vader in this film.

quanchi112
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Johnson has said he's not as good as Vader in this film. Quote ?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by quanchi112
Quote ?

Found it.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Found it. That is a vague comment. I'll judge for myself based off the evidence from the film. Look out Vader Kylo is coming.

relentless1
Id like to know how they changed the physics of a lightsaber??

Also novelizations don't count when the directly contradict the film.... Ren was shit in lightsaber combat, he was pushed to the limit by two people who have never even used that weapon before in their lives lmao

Rebel95
Not really... there's a reason chewie's bowcaster was shown to be deadly several times in the movie. Kylo was severely injured and still easily beat Finn after he stopped toying with him. And he was beating Rey back until she tapped into the force. I'm not saying that he's a great swordsman, but he isn't bad.

quanchi112
His training wasn't finished either. He wasn't a highly polished guy yet but as others have pointed on top of that he was injured. Look at the differenc between Luke in ESB to ROTJ. Kylo will be a monster in the next film.

HentaiLover
Originally posted by quanchi112
His training wasn't finished either. He wasn't a highly polished guy yet but as others have pointed on top of that he was injured. Look at the differenc between Luke in ESB to ROTJ. Kylo will be a monster in the next film. yeah but Luke didn't get defeated by a woman holding a saber for the first time ever.

Rebel95
yeah but Luke didn't get defeated by a woman holding a saber for the first time ever.
Luke didn't get shot by a weapon that killed multiple stormtroopers with a single blast

Darth Thor
Luke didn't get shot by a weapon that killed multiple stormtroopers with a single blast

Again. Rey overpowered Kylo before that.

quanchi112
yeah but Luke didn't get defeated by a woman holding a saber for the first time ever. Luke wasn't shot and didn't have his shoulder grazed by a light saber either. Context. Like is the guy who did nothing after Kylo killed his order. Pussy.

Rebel95
Again. Rey overpowered Kylo before that.
You're not understanding my point. I'm not saying that Rey isn't powerful, I'm just saying that we can't judge Kylo based off that performance because we don't know exactly how powerful Rey is (she's probably very powerful), and because he was hindered.

Darth Thor

Rebel95
Nfhd

Rebel95
Oops^. Here's what I meant to post

Or he was just caught off guard. And even if he wasn't, we still can't judge him based off that because we don't know how powerful Rey is, so what you're saying is irrelevant

Darth Thor

Rebel95
She caught him off guard, he wasn't expecting any resistance and she overpowered him in the duel because of the fact that he was injured. This is why the movie emphasizes the power of Chewie's bowcaster multiple times and shows Kylo punching his wound. They wanted the audience to understand how badly he was injured, and why he lost the fight. And the fact that this is so hard for people to understand baffles me.

Darth Thor

Rebel95

Rebel95
Basically what I'm trying to say is that we can't judge Kylo based off of his encounters with Rey, because we don't know how powerful she is.

DarthAnt66
Well we can judge he's less powerful than someone like Vader, Dooku, or Maul from that performance.

I agree though for the most part.

Rebel95
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.