Gunpowder

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
Anyone else catch the pilot of this? Looks to be a 3-part show with Kit Harington.

A particular scene in the first episode caused a fair bit of uproar online, with various people using words like "shocking" and "sickening" etc. to describe it, and giving the BBC a ton of flak. Now, I will say this. While I think people are going overboard with their outrage, the scene in question really was very unpleasant to watch.

The ending of the pilot has me curious to see just where the writers take the story though.

riv6672
Had to Google this.

Read about the reactions to the violence.
I get it. Violence is hard to watch.

This is what someone said in its defense:
It was definitely clear that they went out of their way to show the hideous reality of how violent it was at that time and that was part of the story. They have to show how horrendous it was to show how riled up his character is and how that inspired effectively his terrorism of the gunpowder plot.

Having not seen it myself, i can only say, gore for the sake of gore's never been my thing, but if it served a purpose, then folks just need to deal if theyre gonna watch.

samhain
Unless it clearly depicts Fawkes' intention to install a Catholic government I have absolutely no interest in this.

riv6672
Interesting.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by riv6672
Had to Google this.

Read about the reactions to the violence.
I get it. Violence is hard to watch.

This is what someone said in its defense:
It was definitely clear that they went out of their way to show the hideous reality of how violent it was at that time and that was part of the story. They have to show how horrendous it was to show how riled up his character is and how that inspired effectively his terrorism of the gunpowder plot.

Having not seen it myself, i can only say, gore for the sake of gore's never been my thing, but if it served a purpose, then folks just need to deal if theyre gonna watch.

Oh definitely. The scene in question was meant to show the horrific conditions under which these people lived, and how it pushed them into action. But it is still a difficult scene to sit through. They strip and humiliate an old woman, and then slowly crush her to death (you can hear bones pop while she is still alive and in obvious horrendous pain), and then they disembowel a young man before chopping him into pieces, all while the crowd treats the spectacle like prime time entertainment.

Originally posted by samhain
Unless it clearly depicts Fawkes' intention to install a Catholic government I have absolutely no interest in this.

Well, it was only the first episode, but the show does imply a much larger plan and plot involving Catholic resistance to the current regime, and Fawkes makes his appearance at the end of the first episode, revealing himself as one of the main players in the coming events. But, overall, the first episode seemed to mainly serve to establish the time period and conditions under which things took place.

samhain
Cool, might give it a go then, it is only a short series.

riv6672
QUOTE=16374164]Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Oh definitely. The scene in question was meant to show the horrific conditions under which these people lived, and how it pushed them into action. But it is still a difficult scene to sit through. They strip and humiliate an old woman, and then slowly crush her to death (you can hear bones pop while she is still alive and in obvious horrendous pain), and then they disembowel a young man before chopping him into pieces, all while the crowd treats the spectacle like prime time entertainment.

That would definitely get the point across.
Like i said, if its not just done for shits & giggles (a splatterfest like THE GREEN INFERNO) then i'm likely to be okay with it, as there's a point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.