Superman by Rocksteady

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/03/rocksteady-superman-game-informer/#2

This is a rumor so take it with a grain of salt. Apparently it'll be announced next week if the rumors are true. This would be fking phenomenal news. It's been so long since we've had a proper game incorporating flight.

https://twitter.com/GazDeaves/status/913418759129456640

ares834
Their source is.... 4chan.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by ares834
Their source is.... 4chan. Yeah see that gave me pause too, though like they said, 4chan has leaked real games before. We'll find out in a week

Ridley_Prime

Arachnid1
I disagree. This is the video game section and there is nothing wrong with discussing a potential leak of a video game concept. It's not like there haven't been a hundred threads exactly like this. Hell, 4chan leaked Assassins Creed Origins and all their mentioned gameplay additions like the eagle scout drone and the locations all ended up being true. They also leaked and spoiled the holy hell out of FFV and the entire Nintendo Switch reveal event before it started. People use that site for leaking info pretty regularly. The problem is all the trolls that site breeds that take advantage of that, which is why you should take it with a grain of salt, but not outright dismiss it. Plus, the rumors of a Supes game by them have been circulating for some time because of their PR manager on Reddits posts in discussions on the subject. If you're not a fan of discussing leaks, just wait until we get confirmation on whether its real or not.

I also cant blame people for the Montreal Supes incident. The developers themselves had put out little teasing tweets about Superman, metric tons of concept art of different franchise characters leaked, not to mention pictures and videos of this surfacing (kind of hard to fake). Someone was working on a Superman game at the time, though I'm assuming it got canned.

Kazenji
Is this that news a while back Rocksteady was working on something new?

who's to say its even a comic book based game, They are owned by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment could even be a game based on a movie franchise.

BruceSkywalker
hopefully this turns out true

Impediment
There was a rumor that Rocksteady was going to make a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

Ridley_Prime

Impediment
What didn't you like about Arkham Knight? I thougt i was awesome. 9.0, easy.

Ridley_Prime

Smasandian
Yeah, I was very disappointed with the side missions. And there was an over reliance with the batmobile.

I put it as an 8.

emporerpants
Sadly, looks like this isn't happening right? It's a shame. I would love for Rocksteady to make a Superman game.

emporerpants
As for Rocksteady making a TMNT game...that would have been cool. They should still do that, perhaps under a faux name...perhaps Bebop? shifty

Arachnid1
Originally posted by emporerpants
Sadly, looks like this isn't happening right? It's a shame. I would love for Rocksteady to make a Superman game. Yep, I got the Game Informer for December and it was Monster Hunter, which basically confirms this to be false. Too bad. I would have loved them working on a Supes game.

I'd be onboard a TMNT game. I wonder how someone would handle controlling all four turtles. It would be a pretty cool gameplay element if handled well

Smasandian
Not sure.....

I wouldn't mind another Batman game if they re-imagined it somehow.....Or, hell, I think they could do a pretty sweet Star Wars game if they were not part of WB.

I believe Rocksteady make excellent open world games in completely reverent way for franchises. Arkham Asylum wasn't didn't just excel due to gameplay mechanics, puzzles (still have the best in the series) and story elements but they nailed the Batman legacy. They treated the franchise with respect and just filled with game with nostalgia and fan service.

So......if they were going to do a game, it has to be for a franchise with the same pedigree as Batman. I'm just not sure what that is.

Kazenji
Even a game based on a movie franchise is possible with them since they're with WB's.

Ridley_Prime

Kazenji
The only good Superman game in recent years has been those Lego Batman games.

Smasandian
The only problem is that Superman is a not a very good video game character.

He is basically indestructible so I'm unsure how you could make a compelling game about him. You can go the route of movies and have huge fight scenes with Zod and co but that wouldn't be something that cant be replicated over the course of a 20 hour game.

Batman is a perfect character because he is far from indestructible and is bound to him being just a dude. As well, they can easily gate the progress in the game by limiting his gadgets.

Superman can't be limited to that. They can't really say, "oh, that door is indestructible...just need to go the Fortress of Solitude to get my laser vision".

Kazenji
Same could be said about Wolverine, But they found a way when they did the X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Smasandian
Ummm, no. Wolverine isn't in the same league.

Yes, he can't "die" from gunshots, electricity or being stabbed..but it would slow him down.

Superman is indestructible. Unless each area of the map is covered in kryponite and every single NPC has kryponite weapons....there isn't really much of a game if they follow the same formula.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Ummm, no. Wolverine isn't in the same league.

Yes, he can't "die" from gunshots, electricity or being stabbed..but it would slow him down.

Superman is indestructible. Unless each area of the map is covered in kryponite and every single NPC has kryponite weapons....there isn't really much of a game if they follow the same formula. In the first Superman movie, he was shot and it knocked him unconscious.

-Pr-
Changes would obviously have to be made. You can't make a stealth game starring Superman. You can make a perfectly good game with him, though. There are tons of ways to do so. Use his large rogues gallery that includes enemies that can use his weaknesses against him, and actually delve in to the universe some.

You could do Legion stuff, you could do what Superman Returns did and make parts of the game about protecting Metropolis and the people within it.

You could even do sections where he's Clark Kent tracking down a supervillain that can evade his senses by using investigative work in a similar way to the crime scene parts in the Arkham games.

It can be done, it just has to be done right.

Adam Grimes
It's going to take far more work though.

Jmanghan
pA4gyil8n9M

-Pr-
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
It's going to take far more work though.

Of course. I mean, there's tons of heroes that could use the Arkham system with some tweaks. For "herald" level heroes though? You'd have to change the mechanics big time. I just think it's worth doing, especially if we get Justice League or Avengers games out of it.

Or just release more MUA/MH/DCUO type games. They balanced it well enough.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
pA4gyil8n9M

laughing out loud

Kazenji
A new rumor regarding this game, This time from a anonymous 4chan poster

https://screenrant.com/rumor-rocksteady-superman-game-arkhamverse/

-Pr-
Yeah whatculture did a video on it too. Hopefully it's true and E3 has the goods at the latest.

Smasandian
I will be interesting to see how this turns out and it will be to nice to have a Rocksteady game with a different character universe.

However, after replaying Arkham Knight and enjoying it more the second time through, I'm kind of hoping for another Batman game.

Arachnid1
I hope its true. All the details there sounded great. At least we don't have long to wait until we find out.

Ridley_Prime
I will be interesting to see how this turns out and it will be to nice to have a Rocksteady game with a different character universe.

However, after replaying Arkham Knight and enjoying it more the second time through, I'm kind of hoping for another Batman game.
Glad you enjoyed it more that way, but getting 100% on Arkham Knight did very little to redeem its already existing problems for me, so I still say **** no to them doing another Batman game at this time.

Arachnid1
I feel like they'd learn from their mistakes. I'm of the opinion that Arkham Knight was the worst of the Arkham games (including Origins) though it had the second best story. The overreliance on the batmobile and the disservice to Deathstroke are what killed it for me more than anything.

I'm just not sure what they'd do. They already gave Bane, Ra's Al Ghul, Joker, and Scarecrow their own awesome and finished stories (Joker dead, Bane and Scarecrow are a shell of who they used to be, Ra's died but he could come back I suppose since his corpse was taken). The only villain Batman has left that can carry a story is Riddler IMO. Unfortunately, that would leave the other big villains out of the game and leave us with the B-D list. Plus, Bruce is now outed as Batman now so I'm not sure how he'd continue to fund his crusading.

I feel like Superman has more possibilities at this point. Plus, Brainiac is my favorite Supes villain so starting the series off with him would be pretty exiting.

emporerpants
I'm really hoping it's true. Supes has gotten the shaft in video games for too long.

Impediment
Flying through ring after ring.

#N64

-Pr-
The combat, especially aerially, is going to be the hard part. I heard mention that his flight would be involved, so my guess is that his speed would be too, which would allow them to bring over at least some aspects of the Arkham combat too.

cdtm
Would be nice to have a good Superman video game iteration that didn't happen in a Batman game.

Arachnid1
https://www.vg247.com/2018/11/28/superman-worlds-finest-rocksteady-rumour/

This rumor just wont die, will it?

Impediment
A Superman game would be awesome, but what kind of environments and villains would you create for an alien god?

Ridley_Prime
With the game awards shit around the corner, guess it is that time of the year for the rumor mill.

Smasandian
Well, they are clearly working on something. I still hope for a Batman game because I'm not convinced Superman would make for a good protagonist.

BackFire
A Superman game is going to be tough, for sure.

I'd be good with another Batman game, but I'd like one to take place within a Gotham that is actually not barren and abandoned. I'd like a Batman game with citizens walking around, with a day/night cycle, where you have to try and avoid being seen not just by enemies but by regular people.

There's also that long-standing rumor that they're working on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game, which could potentially be very cool.

Smasandian
Maybe....I'm not sure.

Could be neat but also a pain in the ****ing ass.

Surtur
I first read this as "Superman vs Rocksteady" and then I read closer and my heart is f*cking broken now.

Ridley_Prime
laughing out loud

Didn't think it would still be argued otherwise, but a Superman game at this point would definitely be > a 5th Batman/Arkham game for me.

Smasandian
I understand the point but Superman doesn't seem to be a fun character to play as.

He is literally a perfect human with one weakness.

Arachnid1
I understand the point but Superman doesn't seem to be a fun character to play as.

He is literally a perfect human with one weakness. Idk blasting around a city at mach 3, knocking Darkseid through a Skyscraper, or fighting a Kryptonian at super speed sounds pretty fun to me.

His villains level the playing field. It's not like we'll be exclusively fighting armed robbers.

Smasandian
But they are not going to do that. Or at least I would be surprised. It wouldn't be much of a game if you are just attacking major villains like Darkseid.

Ridley_Prime
VKvjKcDSswA

#neverforget

I like Batman more than Spider-Man, but have no problem admitting Spidey's recent PS4 game blows any of the Arkham's out of the water mechanically. The speed at which you can websling across the city compared to Batman's grapple boost, etc... Makes me think how crazy it'd be with Superman's flight speed. I guess the challenge with a Superman game though would be making it more than just an arena fighter, awesome as knocking his rogue gallery though buildings and stuff would be.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
VKvjKcDSswA

#neverforget

Cool cut scene, but how TF would you play that?

Surtur
I've played every Superman game that has come out since the shitty N64 version. There was a shitty Superman game on xbox and then on xbox360 they had that game based on the "Superman Returns" movie. I played it, there was some cool stuff you can do in combat, but it was glitchy and just meh.

The best Superman game, IMO, is the one based on the animated series called "Shadow of Apokolips" on PS2 and Gamecube. It works because the animated version of Superman had his power levels toned down. So enemies with high tech weapons can harm him, etc. His health can regenerate though. There were some cool boss fights, like Parasite and Livewire.

Not the best game ever, but anyone who is a Superman fan should try to get a copy. Or if your PC is powerful enough you could download it and play it on an emulator. 5-6 years ago I ordered a copy off Amazon.

Ridley_Prime
https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/1068614816514928641

Think it kills the rumor if someone at RockSteady says their game isn't Superman. Now this thread can finally be put to rest. Glad they told us ahead of time.

Arachnid1
https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/1068614816514928641

Think it kills the rumor if someone at RockSteady says their game isn't Superman. Now this thread can finally be put to rest. Glad they told us ahead of time. Would it have killed them to post that the first three times this rumor got traction?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
I've played every Superman game that has come out since the shitty N64 version. There was a shitty Superman game on xbox and then on xbox360 they had that game based on the "Superman Returns" movie. I played it, there was some cool stuff you can do in combat, but it was glitchy and just meh.

The best Superman game, IMO, is the one based on the animated series called "Shadow of Apokolips" on PS2 and Gamecube. It works because the animated version of Superman had his power levels toned down. So enemies with high tech weapons can harm him, etc. His health can regenerate though. There were some cool boss fights, like Parasite and Livewire.

Not the best game ever, but anyone who is a Superman fan should try to get a copy. Or if your PC is powerful enough you could download it and play it on an emulator. 5-6 years ago I ordered a copy off Amazon.

Nah...the best Superman games are the Lego Batman games.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Would it have killed them to post that the first three times this rumor got traction?
Right? Well, better to learn about it now I guess than to be let down about it more later. I wanted Superman game to happen despite being highly skeptical on the rumor, but just hope RockSteady has some other good surprise in store, DC property or otherwise. Long as it isn't another Batman game it'll be fresh.

Smasandian
It will be another Batman most likely.

Ridley_Prime
Despite them saying Arkham Knight would be their last one? erm Yet another Batman by them just after would be forced af. Give me anything else.

Surtur
Originally posted by Kazenji
Nah...the best Superman games are the Lego Batman games.

Meh haven't played much beyond Lego Star Wars and I didn't like it.

Surtur

He is literally a perfect human with one weakness.

He's not human at all. He's also vulnerable to kryptonite yes, but it's not the *only* way to harm him. You have:

-red sun radiation
-magic
-powerful psionics
-advanced technology
-superhuman beings near or surpassing his level of strength

Obviously this means the main bad guys in the game should be a cult of superhumanly strong psionic wizards who wield red sun radiation swords created via advanced technology.

Smasandian
Hahaha.

Kazenji
Meh haven't played much beyond Lego Star Wars and I didn't like it.

Should try them out, They have gotten alot better since those days,

Kazenji
Someones come out from Rocksteady. Despite the rumors about a Superman game, They're not making a Superman game

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/12/rocksteady-is-not-making-a-superman-game-as-you-may-already-know-if-you-listen-to-kotaku-splitscree/

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, I already established that.

Man of Steel 2 also apparently lost momentum at Warner Bros. Superman can't catch a break.

Kazenji
I'd be up for any of that guy's suggestion's for the other heroes.

Smasandian
Yeah, I already established that.

Man of Steel 2 also apparently lost momentum at Warner Bros. Superman can't catch a break.

Call me crazy but I really liked Man of Steel.

cdtm
Call me crazy but I really liked Man of Steel.

I must be crazy, too, because I liked it.

cdtm
Kind of sad, how they can make a good game with Transformers fighting, but can't figure out Superman.

To date, Lego Batman 2 is as close to a good Superman experience as we've gotten.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
Should try them out, They have gotten alot better since those days,

That they have.

Lego Batman is night and day compared to something like Star Wars Saga. I was skeptical, but it really is as good as something like Saints Row IV, IMO.

Surtur
I remember seeing footage of a Flash videogame that looked cool too a couple years ago. Ah well.

Kazenji
All the good things get cancelled.

emporerpants
Pretty bummed that the Superman game isn't happening. I mean, I like Batman, but I really don't need another Arkham game. Would greatly prefer a Supes game.

quanchi112
I am enjoying this cancellation. Life is good.

emporerpants
l laughing

Ridley_Prime
There's still rumor about WB Montreal doing another Batman, which I'd be more okay with since it's not RockSteady who at this point would be more ideal to focus on something else. That and I liked Arkham Origins more than most, and if WBM can redeem themselves from their shortcomings in that game with some kind of followup, could go a long way.

Smasandian
Was this the same rumour regarding Batman and the Night of the Owls?

If WB Montreal, so be it.

But I still think it's Rocksteady and I have enough respect for them to believe a sequel would be something neat and interesting. Rocksteady must have enough clout to tell WB to **** off if they were told to do a run of the mill Batman game.

cdtm
You know Namor was in Spiderman: The Video Game?

That means the f'n Sub Mariner was in a good video game well before Superman was. eek!

Jmanghan
I remember seeing footage of a Flash videogame that looked cool too a couple years ago. Ah well. -yx3vOYjybI
CSw3YUnsCz4

Jmanghan
I'm still waiting for that awesome cancelled DareDevil game:

-bq_ZD465J4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.