The Case for the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AncientPower
Unfortunately, due to a single loss in Revan the respect for the Exile has dropped massively. This thread will rectify not only misinterpreted events in the novel, but also establish just how powerful the Exile actually is.

Before we get into the major events of the novel, let's establish just how powerful Meetra was. Even as of the Mandalorian Wars, Revan considers the Exile his most tactically gifted and potentially powerful ally, giving her half of his forces. Before becoming far greater than his greatest expectations.

In fact, the Jedi Exile becomes more powerful than Darth Traya:

By this point, after killing Traya, she's even capable of hauling a ship out of Malachor V's orbit to escape.

Just a reminder of how immensely difficult that is:

Contrary to popular belief, the Exile spends years after defeating the Triumvirate to train the reborn Jedi Order. Providing her years of growth after this fact.

More than that, Lord Scourge states that Revan, the Exile and the Hero of Tython are the greatest Jedi he's ever known:

Scourge has no shortage of experience with powerful Jedi:

Indeed, the Exile was a true powerhouse:

It's even said Surik may have been as skilled as Revan in combat:

So why was Meetra Surik so underwhelming in Revan? Some claim it is the hasty way in which it was written. Others claim the KotOR era characters are overhyped. The truth in fact, is that many have simply neglected to analyse the Darth Nyriss battle.

First we need to take into account the environment:

So Dromund Kaas, even after four thousand years of abandonment was an extremely powerful dark side nexus. Dromund Kaas during Revan had numerous such sites across Kaas city:

Now, onto the Nyriss fight:

So in dodging the Force lightning, they allowed her to take them off-guard. An advantage in momentum, not skill.

She leapt inbetween Scourge and Surik before they could recover and went on the offensive, taking advantage of the earlier forfeit.

So as opposed to being outskilled, Darth Nyriss' Force augmented strength forced the Exile to her knees. On a dark side nexus of such power, that's unsurprising.

This is one of the most important parts in the fight, Meetra is stated to erect a barrier in the same manner as Nyriss. Which is to mean instinctively and without a gesture. What's important is that this was only a Force barrier, a defensive technique not designed for such attacks. Even Tutaminis is very difficult to use successfully against Force lightning for the most powerful Jedi.

In short, the arguments used against her are largely misrepresentation and a general overestimation of how much an advantage Nyriss had.

ziggtard
Top Kek

MythLord
Absolutely none of these threads do anyone any favours, since I'm pretty sure all of this is common knowledge. Well, except for this:

"'You may take one of the ships that orbit Malachor and depart this place.'"
- Darth Traya, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Are you implying this means Surik telekinetically lifted a ship? Because, if so, top-kek.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by MythLord
Absolutely none of these threads do anyone any favours, since I'm pretty sure all of this is common knowledge.

How do you know? You actually read it?

godemperortrump
AP must be bored today. Anyway, Meetra is underrated.

Ursumeles
I remember that you argued that Nathema influenced her performance,AP.

AncientPower
Originally posted by MythLord
Absolutely none of these threads do anyone any favours, since I'm pretty sure all of this is common knowledge. Well, except for this:

"'You may take one of the ships that orbit Malachor and depart this place.'"
- Darth Traya, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Are you implying this means Surik telekinetically lifted a ship? Because, if so, top-kek.

Feel free to tell me how the Exile gets to a ship that's in orbit and not on the surface. I'm sure Nova will be amused.

AncientPower
Originally posted by Ursumeles
I remember that you argued that Nathema influenced her performance,AP.

I've got a lot of work done on that front, but I need more KotET quotes first.

TenebrousWay
All hail Meetra Fodderik!

AncientPower
Was that meant to be funny or meant to rhyme? You failed miserably if so.

TenebrousWay
Neither. I was just stating facts.

darthbane77
Meetra is definitely underrated, but I don't see any reason for her to be considered more powerful than, say, Kenobi. Not that ~Kenobi is what you were trying to push or anything, just offering my 2 cents.

FreshestSlice
AP, you do know that the Revan novel isn't "years" after KotOR II, yeah? Maybe while you're trying to cherrypick, you could at least get the dates right.

S_W_LeGenD
IMO, Meetra Surik is on par with Obi-Wan Kenobi in strength but greater in command of the Force.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
AP, you do know that the Revan novel isn't "years" after KotOR II, yeah? Maybe while you're trying to cherrypick, you could at least get the dates right.
The first half cover events 2 years after the events of KoTOR 1. The second half cover events at some point after the events of KoTOR 2.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
The second half cover events at some point after the events of KoTOR 2.
And that "some point" is not even a year after KotOR II, making me wonder why you would even waste your time with such a useless reply.

godemperortrump
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
IMO, Meetra Surik is on par with Obi-Wan Kenobi in strength but greater in command of the Force.
Agreed

AncientPower
Fresh, that's an assumption that has been factually debunked by SWTOR. It was at least two years after KotOR II that Surik left.

FreshestSlice
I'd love the quote for that, AP.

AncientPower
It's in the OP:

FreshestSlice
That does not say the Revan novel takes place two years after KotOR II. I want a quote for what you just claimed. The Council isn't even made up of her companions in the novel. Hence me saying you're cherrypicking.

AncientPower
Lmfao, those exact things happen after she defeats them, this is the full quote:

FreshestSlice
The novel AP. You said TOR and the novel showed it to be wrong, despite the fact that in the novel and TOR, Surik did not completely reform the Jedi. Stop dodging. In the novel, Revan's son with Bastila is toddler and the Jedi are hardly "flourishing." This is why I said you are cherrypicking sources, just taking the parts that sound good and completely ignoring the parts of these sources that contradict each other.

AncientPower
Except the actual plothole was created by the novel itself. The Order was wiped out, all Masters dead or arrested. But we get to the novel and it's as if the Dark wars never occurred. We never get a real timetable of when Meetra's part in the novel actually starts, but we know it's years after Revan is captured and jailed. The companions are stated multiple times in the game to be the new generation of Jedi.

Beyond that, we have Brianna becoming the Jedi historian, Mical becoming one of the heads of the High Council, Mira dying to save a colony. Them becoming the new Council along with others they welcomed out of hiding, is far from hard to believe when Traya's visions of their future are exceedingly malleable.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.